Official Caris LeVert Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1221 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:43 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:when you frame it that way, i can see why people say it. I think Manu in his prime was a lot faster and explosive, but Caris is racking up the points consistently now. I actually like LeVert as a passer moreso than Ginobili.

SpeedyG wrote:I think Caris is definitely making a case for future starting point guard. it's been awhile since Russell has played and I don't want to dismiss him too soon given what this staff has accomplished with other players, but it's looking more and more that he's the off-guard in this offense with either Caris or Din as the primary ball handler. It's not because they are more talented than him, but rather their skills fits more what this offense needs.

I dont like the player comp, but we might actually see Caris remain as our 6th man given how he runs that bench squad. Kenny plays a lot of guys, so who starts isn't as important as who finishes, kinda like Manu and the spurs.

I'd prefer that Russell play SG full time now honestly, his style isn't suited to run the offense. Let him get those 3pt shots in rhythm and break guys down off of the dribble as the clock winds down or we need some go to scoring when the 3 balls aren't hitting.

LeVert has shown enough that he should remain at PG and can switch over to SG when Dinwiddie is in with him and not miss a beat.

I think LeVert is just as quick as prime manu, his first step is one of the best in the league. He’s less explosive (le)vertically but he makes up for it in height and length. He is much more physically imposing than Manu was.

Agreed Russell is a shooting guard. He was a shooting guard in college and basically his entire life. It wasn’t until the NBA when questions about his size became real and he started being viewed as a PG.

Luckily we have a PG with true shooting guard size in LeVert. He’s our best option over Dinwiddie, Russell and even a healthy Lin. The way he can penetrate and dish using his quickness and size screams point guard.

Think about this question: how many times have we seen someone other than LeVert throw an Alley oop to Allen? LeVert seems to do it every game along with a multitude of incredible passes to the role man.

DLo is better at the 2 since he can’t penetrate as well and it’s best for him to focus on scoring and attacking a defense that has already been warped by another guard.

LeVert looks to be the best passer on the roster. But this was obvious last season too, he has a tremendous basketball IQ. Whatever he was going through at the start of this season was 100% mental because the kid last year most of the time always made the correct play. Now that he's more confident and aggressive he's opening up scoring looks that guys just don't really get with our other backcourt guys, and that's not a knock on them because Russell is an SG and while Lin and Dinwiddie are solid at executing the offense they don't quite hit the cutters like LeVert does.

I mean LeVert is hitting guys with Anfernee Hardway LITE type passes off the dribble. Someone made the comparison before and I didn't see it at the time but at least in that regard, I'll say that hey maybe there's something to that comparison as well. But I don't really want to compare him to anyone at this point. He has his own game and style and its only going to evolve from here.

I love how simple positional changes are starting to bring the best skills out of our young guys.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1222 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I see a poor man's Penny more than anything.

Penny Hardaway is my favorite comparison. But I think calling him “poor mans” is a little premature. Sure he lacks Penny’s athleticism but I could see him developing the sort of versatile offensive game that could propel him right into prime Penny’s tier.

Maybe post injury Penny.
Penny was an all-nba type on his way to the HOF.

Haha i missed this exchange, I just brought up Penny.

I wouldn't compare LeVert to post injury Penny. That knee injury really screwed him. watch footage of him in the playoffs versus Miami where he dropped 40 points in back to back games (i think it was 1997?) and then watch footage of him when he played in Phoenix and New York. He was not the same player. Penny's 1st year in Phoenix was his last best season as a pro, statistically as of late since moving to PG, Caris is trending near that I think, I'd have to check to certain.

anyway, I think comparing this kid to Penny, who had HOF level talent, and Manu who is a 1st ballot HOF and one of the best players to compete on the NBA and Olympic stage is going way overboard, but I also think it means Caris is trending right where he needs to be. that's a good thing.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1223 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:56 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:when you frame it that way, i can see why people say it. I think Manu in his prime was a lot faster and explosive, but Caris is racking up the points consistently now. I actually like LeVert as a passer moreso than Ginobili.

SpeedyG wrote:I think Caris is definitely making a case for future starting point guard. it's been awhile since Russell has played and I don't want to dismiss him too soon given what this staff has accomplished with other players, but it's looking more and more that he's the off-guard in this offense with either Caris or Din as the primary ball handler. It's not because they are more talented than him, but rather their skills fits more what this offense needs.

I dont like the player comp, but we might actually see Caris remain as our 6th man given how he runs that bench squad. Kenny plays a lot of guys, so who starts isn't as important as who finishes, kinda like Manu and the spurs.

I'd prefer that Russell play SG full time now honestly, his style isn't suited to run the offense. Let him get those 3pt shots in rhythm and break guys down off of the dribble as the clock winds down or we need some go to scoring when the 3 balls aren't hitting.

LeVert has shown enough that he should remain at PG and can switch over to SG when Dinwiddie is in with him and not miss a beat.

I think LeVert is just as quick as prime manu, his first step is one of the best in the league. He’s less explosive (le)vertically but he makes up for it in height and length. He is much more physically imposing than Manu was.

Agreed Russell is a shooting guard. He was a shooting guard in college and basically his entire life. It wasn’t until the NBA when questions about his size became real and he started being viewed as a PG.

Luckily we have a PG with true shooting guard size in LeVert. He’s our best option over Dinwiddie, Russell and even a healthy Lin. The way he can penetrate and dish using his quickness and size screams point guard.

Think about this question: how many times have we seen someone other than LeVert throw an Alley oop to Allen? LeVert seems to do it every game along with a multitude of incredible passes to the role man.

DLo is better at the 2 since he can’t penetrate as well and it’s best for him to focus on scoring and attacking a defense that has already been warped by another guard.

Yeah that's the thing, LeVert really makes some sick passes and opens things up for the rolling big easily.

I want Russell to focus on scoring efficiently, knocking down threes, and being a better team defender. I also want Russell to utilize his post up skills. I see no reason why we can't get some specific sets to get that part of his game going. I'd run sets where we feed RHJ the ball down low as well. I love the offense and the 3pt barrage but I think mixing it up during the course of the game will really propel this team forward.

LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#1224 » by LKIRNets » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

see? even you didn't think Manu. I can see a bit of Penny here too.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,581

Post#1225 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Penny Hardaway is my favorite comparison. But I think calling him “poor mans” is a little premature. Sure he lacks Penny’s athleticism but I could see him developing the sort of versatile offensive game that could propel him right into prime Penny’s tier.

Maybe post injury Penny.

I wouldn't compare LeVert to post injury Penny. That knee injury really screwed him. watch footage of him in the playoffs versus Miami where he dropped 40 points in back to back games (i think it was 1997?) and then watch footage of him when he played in Phoenix and New York. He was not the same player. Penny's 1st year in Phoenix was his last best season as a pro, statistically as of late since moving to PG, Caris is trending near that I think, I'd have to check to certain.

anyway, I think comparing this kid to Penny, who had HOF level talent, and Manu who is a 1st ballot HOF and one of the best players to compete on the NBA and Olympic stage is going way overboard, but I also think it means Caris is trending right where he needs to be. that's a good thing.

I like both comparisons honestly. They’re much more accurate than the SF we were comparing him to last year.

He definitely throws Penny Hardaway passes though and I think he could be a better scorer than Penny was. He flashes the potential of an incredibly versatile scoring game that Penny didn’t have.

The point is to compare him to hall of fame and All nab caliber guys. He truly has that kind of potential. There’s no one on the roster who I’m more excited to watch grow (maybe Jarrett Allen).
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#1226 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Yeah that's the thing, LeVert really makes some sick passes and opens things up for the rolling big easily.

I want Russell to focus on scoring efficiently, knocking down threes, and being a better team defender. I also want Russell to utilize his post up skills. I see no reason why we can't get some specific sets to get that part of his game going. I'd run sets where we feed RHJ the ball down low as well. I love the offense and the 3pt barrage but I think mixing it up during the course of the game will really propel this team forward.

Well said. My whole issue with Russell is that he would often slow down the game with his lack of speed and occasional tunnel vision. Taking the ball out of his hands is the best way to mitigate that.

LeVert just warps defense with his drives in a way that only a player of his size and speed can. When you throw in his Afernee-lite passing ability, it doesn’t make sense to play him anywhere except the point.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1227 » by MGrand15 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:
Their playing style isn't remotely the same. :lol:

Bruh did watch Manu Ginobli at all? How do you look at LeVert and say Ginobli? Playing style wise, I'm not talking about stat wise, which you used your own convoluted comparison at different age ranges wit stats in per 36.

What's wrong with you?

There's paragraphs on this page alone on the similarities in playing style. You laugh at actual points. Accuse others of not watching games. Ignore basic math.

Outside of LeVert being black and righty, how about you point out how they're not similar?

Russell and Ginobili is a bad comparison cause Ginobili has always been a 3 or layup guy. PNRs or spot ups. Meanwhile Russell lives in the midrange + likes ISOs and post ups.

Nothing is.

No there isn't. First, Levert isn't 6'6. The rest of the breakdown doesn't describe in any way how their game is similar.

1. Manu was a top of the arc break you down through iso player/screen player. Caris isn't that.
2. Manu had Reddick's ability to get open and set his shot. Caris isn't that as we saw from his failure as a spot up.
3. Caris' strength is driving to the paint wit no regard. Manu wasn't that.

Caris uses his length to get into passing lanes and break up drives to the basket, that's Pippen like.
Caris defends 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and sometimes the 5. That's Pippen like.
Caris brings the ball up after a defensive play and pushes to finish at the rim in transition, that's Pippen like.

Caris' offensive output is similar to Manu. That's all they have in common. I can't believe this is even a discussion. You already have 2 people here that told you they don't see the Manu comparison. Meanwhile you're talking about a 2 way 2 guard that can play the 3, 2, 1 and defend 1-4 exceptionally well. That's Pippen like.

pct% wise he compares closely to young Scottie

Perhaps you need to watch videos of Scottie and Manu and then you'll realize how off you are on the Manu thing. Manu was 25 his first season in the league. DLo was 19. Russell does midrange, drives to the basket now, does iso SnR, hasn't posted up on the Nets, but has that ability. Also has the knack for the big moment shot. Russell and I bet you don't know this, patterned his game after Manu. There's video wit him saying this. But again Manu was 25 in his rookie season, DLo is 21 right now.

Ok buddy. You lose all credibility when you say Manus strength wasn't driving to the rim relentlessly. You make no sense as usual.

So now you want to bring up stats? After dismissing them completely when they didn't fit your opinion. Got it. :lol:
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#1228 » by LKIRNets » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
What's wrong with you?

There's paragraphs on this page alone on the similarities in playing style. You laugh at actual points. Accuse others of not watching games. Ignore basic math.

Outside of LeVert being black and righty, how about you point out how they're not similar?

Russell and Ginobili is a bad comparison cause Ginobili has always been a 3 or layup guy. PNRs or spot ups. Meanwhile Russell lives in the midrange + likes ISOs and post ups.

Nothing is.

No there isn't. First, Levert isn't 6'6. The rest of the breakdown doesn't describe in any way how their game is similar.

1. Manu was a top of the arc break you down through iso player/screen player. Caris isn't that.
2. Manu had Reddick's ability to get open and set his shot. Caris isn't that as we saw from his failure as a spot up.
3. Caris' strength is driving to the paint wit no regard. Manu wasn't that.

Caris uses his length to get into passing lanes and break up drives to the basket, that's Pippen like.
Caris defends 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and sometimes the 5. That's Pippen like.
Caris brings the ball up after a defensive play and pushes to finish at the rim in transition, that's Pippen like.

Caris' offensive output is similar to Manu. That's all they have in common. I can't believe this is even a discussion. You already have 2 people here that told you they don't see the Manu comparison. Meanwhile you're talking about a 2 way 2 guard that can play the 3, 2, 1 and defend 1-4 exceptionally well. That's Pippen like.

pct% wise he compares closely to young Scottie

Perhaps you need to watch videos of Scottie and Manu and then you'll realize how off you are on the Manu thing. Manu was 25 his first season in the league. DLo was 19. Russell does midrange, drives to the basket now, does iso SnR, hasn't posted up on the Nets, but has that ability. Also has the knack for the big moment shot. Russell and I bet you don't know this, patterned his game after Manu. There's video wit him saying this. But again Manu was 25 in his rookie season, DLo is 21 right now.

Ok buddy. You lose all credibility when you say Manus strength wasn't driving to the rim relentlessly. You make no sense as usual.

So now you want to bring up stats? After dismissing them completely when they didn't fit your opinion. Got it. :lol:

It wasn't. His first years in the NBA wasn't that.

your boy put a per 36 wit a different playing style and compared him to Manu. Stop. And do me a favor spare me the credibility talk I see how people have spoken to you these past 2 years from afar. You questioning credibility is hilarious to me. :lol:
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#1229 » by Claud » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

LKIRNets wrote:

Didn't watch prime Pippen so I wouldn't be able to tell if Caris has some similarities.

I did watch a lot of prime manu and Caris reminds me of him a lot due to his demeanor and grit on the court plus the fact that they both are crafty SG who can handle the ball and playmake like a PG without missing a beat. Not to mention both play with high BBIQ and are a pest defensively. Comparing Caris to Manu is a huge compliment in my eyes.
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#1230 » by LKIRNets » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:01 pm

Claud wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:

Didn't watch prime Pippen so I wouldn't be able to tell if Caris has some similarities.

I did watch a lot of prime manu and Caris reminds me of him a lot due to his demeanor and grit on the court plus the fact that they both are crafty SG who can handle the ball and playmake like a PG without missing a beat. Not to mention both play with high BBIQ and are a pest defensively. Comparing Caris to Manu is a huge compliment in my eyes.

I said he reminds me of him, having his traits, his body frame, he's going to fill out more, his intensity on the ball dribble. Not the prime Scottie. No one is that. Closest I've seen to that is LeBron.

The Manu I don't see it. Other than playing the same position, their play off the dribble isn't similar, the way they defend isn't similar. For example, Caris will pick you up full court and hound you when he is allowed to. He'll deny the ball entry pass, sprint off for loose balls, at times block your shot. On offense Caris has this streetballer from Chicago mentality, he will look to break your ankles and finish on you, Manu wasn't that.

look how he went full court, juke,looked to break ankles finish wit the pass off. Manu wasn't that.

I need you to watch Scottie Pippen. When I see Manu he compares more to Russell, he actually compares more to what Nik Stauskas is doing. The way they run wit out the ball, full court drive when on, can make the hockey assist and pass in the post. Except Nik looks like he might become a better finisher at the rim. Numbers wise.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1231 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 pm

Manu wouldn't break ankles and finish or make a highlight pass? What? Listen, LeVert is LeVert. The comparisons have always been how He's a great fit in the Manu role, especially given the Spurs connection. My assumption is that Marksinson would like to keep him in that role rather than start him Nobody ever said he's 100% Manu. You can see Pippen. I don't. It's not worth attacking people over.

bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#1232 » by bws94 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:12 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Manu wouldn't break ankles and finish or make a highlight pass? What? Listen, LeVert is LeVert. The comparisons have always been how He's a great fit in the Manu role, especially given the Spurs connection. My assumption is that Marksinson would like to keep him in that role rather than start him Nobody ever said he's 100% Manu. You can see Pippen. I don't. It's not worth attacking people over.

We gotta agree to disagree sometimes. I totally see the Manu comparisons and yeah, Manu was a penetrator in his prime. Playmake, defend, add energy, get to the rim, shoot some 3s, that was Manu, part of the big 3 of the Spurs for a long time, but his unique quality is that he did it off the bench.

I think the 6th man is a big role that I think is just as important as starter. And a lot of 6th men finish games fairly often.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1233 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:45 pm

Claud wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:

It's been awhile since I watched Scottie in his prime play but from memory he was pretty solid as a passer off of the dribble. He had a good combination of length and speed versus SFs who in those days would be PFs now. Well, that is until Grant Hill arrived...Scottie had some trouble versus that dude :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1234 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Maybe post injury Penny.

I like both comparisons honestly. They’re much more accurate than the SF we were comparing him to last year.

He definitely throws Penny Hardaway passes though and I think he could be a better scorer than Penny was. He flashes the potential of an incredibly versatile scoring game that Penny didn’t have.

The point is to compare him to hall of fame and All nab caliber guys. He truly has that kind of potential. There’s no one on the roster who I’m more excited to watch grow (maybe Jarrett Allen).

Hardaway could score in multiple ways, I disagree here.

haha...i think it's unfair and to soon to lump these comparisons on him, these are all time top talents being thrown around regarding this kid. When Caris does what I saw Hardaway do in a a series of playoff games versus a tough ball club like that Miami Heat in those days prior to his knee being destroyed, we can start this kind of convo up again

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1235 » by Paradise » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:13 pm

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1236 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:06 am

What get Caris traded?

Absolutely not that I want to, but what does it actually take to make Marks blink?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#1237 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:14 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:What get Caris traded?

Absolutely not that I want to, but what does it actually take to make Marks blink?
It would have to be a top 5-7 lotto pick at this point. Last year, I projected Levert to be a 16/5/5 type player in this league at least, and in his 2nd year, Levert's already doing that (PER 36 numbers). We have a legit two way 6'7" player who can handle, pass, finish, and has 3pt range. Plus a great attitude and willingness to improve. I don't want to be a homer to overrate our players but I don't think you can ask for much more for a 2nd year player than what he's doing right now. It would take a lot for me to be convinced to trade him. Either he's the main part of a trade package for an all star player or a high lotto pick where we have our eye on a great prospect.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1238 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:18 am

I'll fight anyone who wants to trade Caris.

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#1239 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I'll fight anyone who wants to trade Caris.

Only if I don’t beat their ass first. :lol:
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1240 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:26 am

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:What get Caris traded?

It would have to be a top 5-7 lotto pick at this point. Last year, I projected Levert to be a 16/5/5 type player in this league at least, and in his 2nd year, Levert's already doing that (PER 36 numbers). We have a legit two way 6'7" player who can handle, pass, finish, and has 3pt range. Plus a great attitude and willingness to improve. I don't want to be a homer to overrate our players but I don't think you can ask for much more for a 2nd year player than what he's doing right now. It would take a lot for me to be convinced to trade him. Either he's the main part of a trade package for an all star player or a high lotto pick where we have our eye on a great prospect.

And to add to this and this is where you're probably going with it anyway, I don't think Markinson even thinks of trading him for a top lotto pick unless there was a kid there who they thought was a generational can't miss MVP caliber talent and overall great kid off the court, who was being slept on by a majority of the league, like a Steph Curry, Dirk Nowitzki, Wade, etc.

Like a perfect storm kind of trade.

To me, sky's the limit for LeVert. I would not be surprised at all to see a guy in his prime averaging an efficient and super impactful 20/6/7 with great defense to boot, as a second option scoring wise, but as a 1A or 1B overall.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets