ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Caris LeVert Thread

Moderators: jerseyjac, Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 28,740
And1: 9,949
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1861 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 2, 2019 8:54 am

SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Levert's potential is a Jimmy Butler level player.

He's fine as a 1B, but he's not an MVP level like those other players you mentioned. He would need some growth to do, which isn't impossible, though not probable.

Like, there is a very very very slight chance he can get to pre-injury Penny. He's got the size, athleticism, and enough playmaking to think that if things REALLY click, that he can reach that level.

But he probably won't.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


He has nowhere near the elite level athleticism, footwork, and passing ability of pre injury Hardaway.

That being said, the odds of him becoming an all star level talent if he can keep his feet together in one piece are fairly high after what I've seen pre and post injury from him this season. He was putting up some serious production versus Philly in a high pressure situation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leverca01.html#playoffs_advanced::none

ridiculous numbers from a first time performer.


I think Penny has better vert and body control but Caris 1st step might be even quicker. Agree with footwork and passing ability, but I think he can develop passing ability. I don't think footwork will ever be comparable but Caris has a herky-jerky style anyway that can get it done but in different way.

Regardless, it's not a realistic goal. More like, if he catches lightning in a bottle with development and just absolutely catches everyone off-guard.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


Its hard for me to stay who is fast, Hardaway was faster from end to end to me but I also could be...whats the word...I could be just being nostalgic where players at that time seemed so larger than life to me so everything that they did was god tier. But Penny had so many different moves off the dribble that were lightning quick, Caris has a good first step and can be crafty but he is more one line north south to the rim. Penny could drive, stop on the drive, spin across the lane and was an explosive leaper.
LeVert reminded me of a poor man's McGrady on his college tape and while I don't think he's anything like McGrady either, if he can get that 3 point shot to where it needs to be, he can just be Caris LeVert, a big guard with an excellent first step, solid handle, good basketball IQ, and an excellent finisher at the basket.
"Mother____er, get me two fingers of Southern Comfort"
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1862 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 2, 2019 10:10 am

Aussienet3 wrote:Caris doesn't need to be equal or better than any of those players listed above. He just needs to be fully fit and ready to go for next season. He is a brilliant system fit. It's no coincidence (in my eyes anyway) that Caris flourished whilst Joey Buckets struggled. I predicted at the start of the season he would be a 15, 5 & 5 guy. I can see him easily getting 17,5 and 7 next season. Caris' major strength is that he exploits the opponents weakness. His quickness is elite and that is what teams struggled to deal with.
I don't think Caris gets to 7 assists with Russell's usage. I think his playoff averages are about right unless Russell's usage goes down.

Which is fine...he can spend his energy on steals defense and rebounding

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1863 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 2, 2019 10:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
He has nowhere near the elite level athleticism, footwork, and passing ability of pre injury Hardaway.

That being said, the odds of him becoming an all star level talent if he can keep his feet together in one piece are fairly high after what I've seen pre and post injury from him this season. He was putting up some serious production versus Philly in a high pressure situation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leverca01.html#playoffs_advanced::none

ridiculous numbers from a first time performer.


I think Penny has better vert and body control but Caris 1st step might be even quicker. Agree with footwork and passing ability, but I think he can develop passing ability. I don't think footwork will ever be comparable but Caris has a herky-jerky style anyway that can get it done but in different way.

Regardless, it's not a realistic goal. More like, if he catches lightning in a bottle with development and just absolutely catches everyone off-guard.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


Its hard for me to stay who is fast, Hardaway was faster from end to end to me but I also could be...whats the word...I could be just being nostalgic where players at that time seemed so larger than life to me so everything that they did was god tier. But Penny had so many different moves off the dribble that were lightning quick, Caris has a good first step and can be crafty but he is more one line north south to the rim. Penny could drive, stop on the drive, spin across the lane and was an explosive leaper.
LeVert reminded me of a poor man's McGrady on his college tape and while I don't think he's anything like McGrady either, if he can get that 3 point shot to where it needs to be, he can just be Caris LeVert, a big guard with an excellent first step, solid handle, good basketball IQ, and an excellent finisher at the basket.
I actually think Caris is faster end to end. Penny more explosive finisher. Absolutely one of the goat footwork. But keep in mind I'm not saying Caris will develop that footwork, but he can use his quirky stop/hesitation drives with similar effectiveness (if he fully develops)

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Aussienet3
Junior
Posts: 396
And1: 82
Joined: Jul 17, 2017
       

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1864 » by Aussienet3 » Thu May 2, 2019 11:06 am

SpeedyG wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:Caris doesn't need to be equal or better than any of those players listed above. He just needs to be fully fit and ready to go for next season. He is a brilliant system fit. It's no coincidence (in my eyes anyway) that Caris flourished whilst Joey Buckets struggled. I predicted at the start of the season he would be a 15, 5 & 5 guy. I can see him easily getting 17,5 and 7 next season. Caris' major strength is that he exploits the opponents weakness. His quickness is elite and that is what teams struggled to deal with.
I don't think Caris gets to 7 assists with Russell's usage. I think his playoff averages are about right unless Russell's usage goes down.

Which is fine...he can spend his energy on steals defense and rebounding

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


My bad. 7 boards. I rate guards on pts then asts. Forwards as pts then boards.
NetsJets
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 38
Joined: Oct 27, 2015
   

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1865 » by NetsJets » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:12 pm

Caris is gonna become a household name real soon. He’s gonna be a really good 3rd option behind KD and Kyrie. Can’t wait.
User avatar
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
Posts: 20,165
And1: 4,791
Joined: Jul 14, 2010

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1866 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 pm

NetsJets wrote:Caris is gonna become a household name real soon. He’s gonna be a really good 3rd option behind KD and Kyrie. Can’t wait.

I’ve been saying that he’s a consistent jumper away from unlocking that next tier and approaching stardom.

Without it, he’s a 6th man.
With it, he’s an all star.

He needs to be locked in the gym this summer, shooting 10k shots a day.
Papi_swav
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,945
And1: 1,572
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1867 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Caris is gonna become a household name real soon. He’s gonna be a really good 3rd option behind KD and Kyrie. Can’t wait.

I’ve been saying that he’s a consistent jumper away from unlocking that next tier and approaching stardom.

Without it, he’s a 6th man.
With it, he’s an all star.

He needs to be locked in the gym this summer, shooting 10k shots a day.

Yes and for god sake play a full season please
User avatar
Lamak
Analyst
Posts: 3,494
And1: 517
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
   

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1868 » by Lamak » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm so glad we have kept Levert through all of this and im expecting a monster year from him.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to Brooklyn Nets