Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread 

Post#1721 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:16 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:We should hope NY plays the long game with Carmelo for a few months and then swoop in and help facilitate a deal with Houston.

I'd love to get Qi from the Rockets. Imagine this kid with J. Allen next to him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

he looks like if i sneezed hard enough he would break in half

Flashbacks of Yi Jianlian...this guy is slower and needs to put on some serious weight. He will get bodied hard this season if he doesn't gain some muscle. If he gets PT, I predict that he'll be on the wrong end of some Sportscenter top 10 highlights very soon.

Could be true but depending on what happens with Melo. He could be thrown out there sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1722 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I keep seeing people from fans, to media, saying how much they love the Kings off-season...

Me... personally? I think it was downright awful. I don't hate the Fox pick, but I don't like it either and I hate their trade down, especially if you took Fox, they should have snagged Mitchell as the long term back court. I know they have Heild and he really turned it on after the trade, but even Mitchell as a super sub would have been fine.

Sure they got some bargains in free agency, but what is their direction? And how do they pieces compliment each other and the young guys?

IDK.

I think it all comes down to how much you believe in the potential of their young guys. Randolph and Vince signed to help mentor the youngsters; Hill got paid and will mentor to a lessor extent.

Fox is fast but I don't see a guy who will be a franchise PG. IMO, he can be a fantastic 6th man on a contender if he's willing to accept that role. Right now, his ego is much bigger than his ceiling. With that said, he has an infectious personality. I really like him as a person.

People were trying to hype Giles back up but there's no faking 2 (or was it 3) big time knee injuries. I'd be shocked if he ever played as if he was never injured.

I don't know enough to comment on Justin Jackson. Frank Mason III is the annual loveable college senior who people hope against hope will have a successful career. Mason has a great attitude, but I see him playing overseas in the not too distant future.

Again, if you take the glass half-full (maybe 3/4 full) view of their draft picks, it was a great draft. If you take my more pessimistic view, it was simply ok. I don't think they could've done much better than what they did however that still doesn't mean those guys will end up being good.

A picture is worth a thousand words! :lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1723 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I keep seeing people from fans, to media, saying how much they love the Kings off-season...

Me... personally? I think it was downright awful. I don't hate the Fox pick, but I don't like it either and I hate their trade down, especially if you took Fox, they should have snagged Mitchell as the long term back court. I know they have Heild and he really turned it on after the trade, but even Mitchell as a super sub would have been fine.

Sure they got some bargains in free agency, but what is their direction? And how do they pieces compliment each other and the young guys?

IDK.

I think it all comes down to how much you believe in the potential of their young guys. Randolph and Vince signed to help mentor the youngsters; Hill got paid and will mentor to a lessor extent.

Fox is fast but I don't see a guy who will be a franchise PG. IMO, he can be a fantastic 6th man on a contender if he's willing to accept that role. Right now, his ego is much bigger than his ceiling. With that said, he has an infectious personality. I really like him as a person.

People were trying to hype Giles back up but there's no faking 2 (or was it 3) big time knee injuries. I'd be shocked if he ever played as if he was never injured.

I don't know enough to comment on Justin Jackson. Frank Mason III is the annual loveable college senior who people hope against hope will have a successful career. Mason has a great attitude, but I see him playing overseas in the not too distant future.

Again, if you take the glass half-full (maybe 3/4 full) view of their draft picks, it was a great draft. If you take my more pessimistic view, it was simply ok. I don't think they could've done much better than what they did however that still doesn't mean those guys will end up being good.

A picture is worth a thousand words! :lol:

And you know what's so funny...Otis Smith was Billy King's forerunner. Bad deals left and right. :lol:
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#1724 » by steady » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:57 am

Can I just vent about the coverage of Lonzo Ball as a "selfless" player? He shares the ball because his strongest skill is distributing the ball and orchestrating an attack. Never hear Rondo being described as selfless
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#1725 » by shakendfries » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 pm

steady wrote:Can I just vent about the coverage of Lonzo Ball as a "selfless" player? He shares the ball because his strongest skill is distributing the ball and orchestrating an attack. Never hear Rondo being described as selfless

That's because Rondo usually holds the ball for 14 seconds before passing, wheras Lonzo's quickness in terms of decision making and seem are more Kidd-esque. And he's a hometown kid playing in hollywood for the most storied franchise in the league
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1726 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 pm

shakendfries wrote:
steady wrote:Can I just vent about the coverage of Lonzo Ball as a "selfless" player? He shares the ball because his strongest skill is distributing the ball and orchestrating an attack. Never hear Rondo being described as selfless

That's because Rondo usually holds the ball for 14 seconds before passing, wheras Lonzo's quickness in terms of decision making and seem are more Kidd-esque. And he's a hometown kid playing in hollywood for the most storied franchise in the league

Agreed.... Lonzo makes the right basketball play... if its an outlet to half court that doesnt yield an assist he makes it. if its giving the ball up early to get his guy a better mismatch without gaining an assist he will make it.

very much kidd like in vision but also always making the right basketball play. the assists will obviously be there, i think the selfless comments are more because he doesnt care about numbers or who scores he just wants to make the right play and win
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#1727 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:09 pm

yep. The best players, no matter the skill level, are always those that opt for the correct basketball play first and foremost. What Lonzo does is the same thing that Lebron does.

We've got our own guy here who does that as well: Caris Levert. Small sample size sure, but that kid always opts for the correct play 9 times out of 10 on both sides of the floor.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
steady
Veteran

Post#1728 » by steady » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Now that we know where the top PG prospects ended up, who do you think will shine this year? I have them in the following order

Dennis Smith Jr. - Mavs
DeAaron Fox - Kings
Lonzo Ball - Lakers
Markelle Fultz - 76ers
Frank Ntlinka - Knicks
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#1729 » by Aussienet3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 pm

steady wrote:Now that we know where the top PG prospects ended up, who do you think will shine this year? I have them in the following order

Dennis Smith Jr. - Mavs
DeAaron Fox - Kings
Lonzo Ball - Lakers
Markelle Fultz - 76ers
Frank Ntlinka - Knicks

Ben Simmons is technically a rookie. It will be interesting how they run Fultz and Simmons.
steady
Veteran

Post#1730 » by steady » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:
steady wrote:Now that we know where the top PG prospects ended up, who do you think will shine this year? I have them in the following order

Dennis Smith Jr. - Mavs
DeAaron Fox - Kings
Lonzo Ball - Lakers
Markelle Fultz - 76ers
Frank Ntlinka - Knicks

Ben Simmons is technically a rookie. It will be interesting how they run Fultz and Simmons.

Yep that's why I think Fultz may have rougher year. Sixers say they're going to have Simmons play point.

Smith will have the best supporting cast and by far the best coach. But my favorite individual player is Fox, I just really like his leadership qualities. Lonzo is the most intriguing of course. It's an amazing PG class

... DLo of course is going to want to prove that all five of these teams made a mistake by reportedly refusing to trade their draft picks for him
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#1731 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:46 am

steady wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

Dennis Smith Jr. - Mavs
DeAaron Fox - Kings
Lonzo Ball - Lakers
Markelle Fultz - 76ers
Frank Ntlinka - Knicks

Yep that's why I think Fultz may have rougher year. Sixers say they're going to have Simmons play point.

Smith will have the best supporting cast and by far the best coach. But my favorite individual player is Fox, I just really like his leadership qualities. Lonzo is the most intriguing of course. It's an amazing PG class

... DLo of course is going to want to prove that all five of these teams made a mistake by reportedly refusing to trade their draft picks for him

Isn't Fultz a good scorer? Maybe have him focus more on that?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#1732 » by Aussienet3 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:26 am

steady wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

Dennis Smith Jr. - Mavs
DeAaron Fox - Kings
Lonzo Ball - Lakers
Markelle Fultz - 76ers
Frank Ntlinka - Knicks

Simmons and Ball could be the best west/east coast rivalry since Larry and Magic!
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,842

Post#1733 » by Karate Diop » Tue Aug 1, 2017 12:17 pm

Rondo would seek out ways to pad his assist totals...

The guy would hold the ball as long as possible so the guy he passed it to wpuld have tp shoot, he would also turn down layups for opportunities to get assists... He also refused to push the ball in transition...

Lonzo is truly selfless, he makes the right basketball play (except for with some of his three point attempts, and on defense where he cannot move his feet)...
steady
Veteran

Post#1734 » by steady » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:05 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
steady wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

Isn't Fultz a good scorer? Maybe have him focus more on that?

I think that's the plan, and Simmon's has played well with talent PGs before (for example, D'Angelo) -- I just foresee some difficult adjustment period
steady
Veteran

Post#1735 » by steady » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:11 pm

Karate Diop wrote:

Rondo would seek out ways to pad his assist totals...

The guy would hold the ball as long as possible so the guy he passed it to wpuld have tp shoot, he would also turn down layups for opportunities to get assists... He also refused to push the ball in transition...

Lonzo is truly selfless, he makes the right basketball play (except for with some of his three point attempts, and on defense where he cannot move his feet)...

OK, good points about Rondo.

Still I think the media is a little over the top about Lonzo. For example, was Jason Kidd ever described as selfless? I just remember him described as a brilliant field general, pinpoint passer, incredibly high basketball IQ

Maybe the selfless comments come from the "contagious" effect (another media hype term that I can't stand) Lonzo has, which encourages his teammates to play pass first, selfless ball as well.

Fortunately the Nets don't have to rely on a rookie to create that culture, but have that culture instilled from top down, from Marks and Atkinson. :-)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1736 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 2, 2017 12:55 am

Jason Kidd could have a game where he only scored 2 points and would have still been the best player on the floor.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1737 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:14 pm

steady wrote:
Fortunately the Nets don't have to rely on a rookie to create that culture, but have that culture instilled from top down, from Marks and Atkinson. :-)

There is absolutely nothing fortunate about us not having Lonzo Ball. having him now would have been enormous for our franchise
steady
Veteran

Post#1738 » by steady » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:24 pm

Prokorov wrote:
steady wrote:

There is absolutely nothing fortunate about us not having Lonzo Ball. having him now would have been enormous for our franchise

Prok - I'm not saying we are fortunate not to have Lonzo - I have written about what a great prospect he seems to be. I'm talkng about, the same way that the Lakers touted D'Angelo two years ago as being the player that was going to turn around their Franchise, is the same thing they are doing to Lonzo.

Even if Lonzo succeeds, imo, it is a sign of a immature franchise when they need a 19 year old rookie to change their culture.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,823

Post#1739 » by Rich Rane » Mon Aug 7, 2017 6:52 pm

So I see on the Wiretap that the Knicks hired Craig Robinson and I'm disappointed it wasn't the actor. Could you imagine him yelling at players for not hustling or someone in the front office trying to stab him in the back?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1740 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 7, 2017 7:39 pm

You used to be fierce....you used to be ruthless!

Return to Brooklyn Nets