tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread 

Post#1841 » by tonman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:37 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
tonman wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
i think the 25-30 win prediction is assuming health. if we get hit with injuries its low 20s i would think

I am on board for this team to be a 28-32 win team. However, this was a 20 win team last year with Lin out over half the season and playing restricted minutes for some games. A 25 win total last year with a healthy Lin is easily believable. Therefore a +3 win total is not that big a leap.

Losing Vasquez was huge as well
People discount the loss of Lopez. If we had Lopez instead of Mozgov I'd not blink at a 40 win season especially with Indiana losing George and Atlanta dropping.

Lets see what Moz can do, if he can hit threes, we might not have lost much.

Sometimes you just need to throw it inside and let your post player bang it and score. Yeah the nets aren't going to do that every time up the floor but Lopez afforded you that option. Mozgov has to get back to being a force inside as well as if he us going to shoot threes to replace Lopez. I don't have an issue with pace and shooting threes but the whole idea of a ball movement team is balance. Not sure we have the bugs to reach 40 currently.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#1842 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 am

tonman wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
tonman wrote:
I am on board for this team to be a 28-32 win team. However, this was a 20 win team last year with Lin out over half the season and playing restricted minutes for some games. A 25 win total last year with a healthy Lin is easily believable. Therefore a +3 win total is not that big a leap.

Losing Vasquez was huge as well
People discount the loss of Lopez. If we had Lopez instead of Mozgov I'd not blink at a 40 win season especially with Indiana losing George and Atlanta dropping.

Lets see what Moz can do, if he can hit threes, we might not have lost much.

Sometimes you just need to throw it inside and let your post player bang it and score. Yeah the nets aren't going to do that every time up the floor but Lopez afforded you that option. Mozgov has to get back to being a force inside as well as if he us going to shoot threes to replace Lopez. I don't have an issue with pace and shooting threes but the whole idea of a ball movement team is balance. Not sure we have the bugs to reach 40 currently.

Post up big's a good thing but not necessary nowadays. Probably better to be a bench player. Sullinger if in good condition might be able to provide that. Looks like Moz is a better defender, better rebounder, better pick setter and better rim roller, certainly not close as a scorer. It depends on how smooth our other guys are offensively as well. If Lin/DVD/DRuss/Crab/LVJ/DMC/Moz/Acy all shoot a high percentage from deep, man! We don't need to slow it down.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#1843 » by shakendfries » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 am

Wilbon & Steven A roast LeBron for being an IG thot

he's not wrong
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#1844 » by steady » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 am

shakendfries wrote:Wilbon & Steven A roast LeBron for being an IG thot

he's not wrong

I am going to say LeBron's taken a hit from the way the whole Kyrie trade request played out

And Kyrie's cool factor went up

From Jayson Tatum saying he was glad he was not traded to Cleveland to Kyrie laughing along to Steph's spoof of Bron at Harrison Barnes' wedding to what is going to be probable spectacle of Cavs struggling next year to the circus that will surround Le Bron's possibly gong to Lakers. This story is not going away anytime soon
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1845 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 pm

tonman wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:The problem I have with it is nobody factors in good health, internal growth or mid-season deals.

I can understand the hesitation to think we could grow and develop two legit prospects prior to the Lopez deal but we seriously have Russell, LeVert, Allen all with legitimate upside and most folks choose to ignore it to further a narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

i think the 25-30 win prediction is assuming health. if we get hit with injuries its low 20s i would think

i dont think lopez is really an impact from a W/L standpoint. and i think there is some darkhouse ability for us to be better without him then if he were added to what we currently have. doesnt fit what we do. and we can be better on both ends without him (running through Lin/Russell instead of blo)

I think our biggest issue is really:

1) we have to figure out who works in what minutes and what rotation. we have like 8 guys who could all start but outside Lin and maybe Russell probably suited better off the bench.

2) we lack depth in starting talent. Russell i believe is our only player to start 75+% of his career games and its really onyl because he is a second year guy who was drafted to a trash team
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#1846 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

steady wrote:

he's not wrong

I am going to say LeBron's taken a hit from the way the whole Kyrie trade request played out

From Jayson Tatum saying he was glad he was not traded to Cleveland to Kyrie laughing along to Steph's spoof of Bron at Harrison Barnes' wedding to what is going to be probable spectacle of Cavs struggling next year to the circus that will surround Le Bron's possibly gong to Lakers. This story is not going away anytime soon

That situation is a mess in Cleveland. They think that pick is going to land them a future superstar they are in for a rude awakening.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
steady
Veteran

Post#1847 » by steady » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
steady wrote:

he's not wrong

That situation is a mess in Cleveland. They think that pick is going to land them a future superstar they are in for a rude awakening.

I agree. it's super interesting how invested people - not just Cleveland people - are in Nets continuing to be a bottom five team. And often it's the same people who believe Cavs will again contend for a title, which I think is unlikely

I say bring it on!
steady
Veteran

Post#1848 » by steady » Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:47 am

This is à nice article about how the Nets picks era in Boston ended not with a bang but a whimper. ... that after all the trade rumors and floated ideas, in the end reality left the Celtics with only the Kyrie options .. and that trading foi Kyrie was a very flawed option

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/06/kyrie-irving-trade-celtics-nets-pick-isaiah-thomas-cavs

Heres the last paragraph

At the end of the Nets Pick Era, all of our hypothetical Celtics rosters were irrelevant, and real life was more complicated than the trade machine. Isaiah Thomas was hurt. Paul George wanted to play in LA. Jimmy Butler and Gordon Hayward were an awkward fit. Kristaps Porzingis wasn't available, and Anthony Davis won't be available for another year or two. It didn't matter whether buying into Kyrie's potential was actually Boston's best option. It was the only option.

---

After ITs Tribne piece today about his hurt after the trade, lot of people are going to be rooting for this next incarnation of Celtics to fail...
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1849 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Glad Perry Jones is getting another shot in the league. I always thought he had potential to be a pretty good player. Hopefully, he'll put it together this time and injuries won't hold him back.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#1850 » by shakendfries » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 pm

fascinating article

A confidential report shows nearly half the NBA lost money last season. Now what?

"The nine teams that lost money, by the league's accounting for net income (which includes revenue sharing and luxury tax payments), were the Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies, Milwaukee Bucks, Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Washington Wizards."

"For instance, the NBA documents showed the remarkable LeBron James effect. In their last season without James, 2013-14, the Cavs received $10.8 million in revenue sharing. Over the past three seasons, the Cavs have paid a total of $29 million into the system. The Cavs made $21.7 million in net income before revenue sharing last season but moved into the red after paying $24.8 million in luxury taxes and $15.2 million in a revenue-sharing check they wrote."

"The 30 teams combined to earn more than $530 million in net income in the 2016-17 season, the documents show. What's more, these numbers focus only on basketball operations; several teams own their arenas, and revenue they generate from hosting non-basketball events is not included in the league's basic financial reporting. For example, the Nets lost about $44 million last season, the documents show, but that doesn't account for revenues from the Barclays Center, which the team's parent company owns."

takeaways? this explains why Prokhorov would look into selling control of the team & maintaining control of the arena

+Bron will most definitely be a Laker next season, given LA will likely be in the best position to give into his salary & roster demands
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1851 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm

how the hell is the team bleeding money like this?

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#1852 » by shakendfries » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:how the hell is the team bleeding money like this?

Brook Lopez & the chance to see Jeremy Lin wear a suit doesn't sell tickets
ImageImage

Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#1853 » by Ror1997 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 pm

shakendfries wrote:

DLo will put butts in the seats. He's already a celebrity.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1854 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm

shakendfries wrote:

well, you've got a point there :lol:

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,823

Post#1855 » by Rich Rane » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Looks like Melo's going to OKC for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, and Chicago's 2018 second round pick.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#1856 » by Lamak » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:27 pm

can't believe melo is booted for junk pieces. knicks just made a mistake and now its time for the nets takeover
Brooklyn Nets
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1857 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm

wow, good bye melo
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#1858 » by Ror1997 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Lamak wrote:can't believe melo is booted for junk pieces. knicks just made a mistake and now its time for the nets takeover

Its a better return than I thought they would get tbh.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1859 » by Paradise » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:51 pm

I’m not gonna lie. I feel kinda bad watching Melo leave NY because I was super excited at the idea of him being the face of the franchise and opening Barclays...but he didn’t want to endure a full season in NJ.

Who knows what Brooklyn Nets basketball would’ve looked like with Melo as a Net and Deron as a Knick.

But one thing is for sure....

Lin has outlasted Melo in New York. :lol:
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#1860 » by shakendfries » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I know one thing, OKC is gonna be raw

Westbrook - PG - Roberson - Melo - Adams

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

Return to Brooklyn Nets