Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Re: Around the NBA, 2016-17 Season thread 

Post#801 » by Roy Tarpley » Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 am

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:Random question: Who's gonna be the Eastern Conference top dogs in 4 years when Lebron is 36 and broken like Kobe was?

Milwaukee? Washington? Philly?

no chance its philly, they are going to suck for a long long time. they need to clean house top to bottom. washington is going to be capped out, they have treadmill written all over them

i can see milwaukee.... or eventually a stud FA will sign with the knicks, heat, or bulls,

The Knicks will never be legit contenders under Dolan. The Bulls need to blow things up and it will take longer than 4 years to get back to the top unless Butler stays and they get another top flight FA.

I think in 4 years, Philly could be dominant, if everyone stays healthy. You'd have Embiid, Simmons, and Saric, and they just need to trade Okafor and draft solid Gs with their 2017 pick and 2018 picks.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#802 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 12, 2017 1:02 pm

that Houston game reminded me of last year when the Rockets got smacked out of the playoffs. Seems like Harden checks out after a certain point and wants to go on vacation

He also needs to stop drinking.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#803 » by CalamityX12 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Didnt think it could come to this but:

Do you guys think that Zaza play/moment was dirty?

Didn't see that moment live but after replays, i can't understand why some are so adamant about it being a dirty play.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#804 » by shakendfries » Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Didnt think it could come to this but:

Didn't see that moment live but after replays, i can't understand why some are so adamant about it being a dirty play.

When multiple former NBA players have come out and admitted that undercutting players is a deliberate act, there is no question that what Zaza did was a dirty play, & sucker move. Jalen Rose & DeMare Carroll did it to Kobe, & Kobe essentially came out to acknowledge it as an intentional act. If that ever happened to Steph st this point in his career, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Undercutting is a dirty play that needs to be eliminated from the game. The league needs to ensure this move isn't an option for players trying to stifle their opponents because it's a dangerous play.

It's feels weird mentioning Dray & Zaza amongst the Rick Mahorns, & Bruce Bowens but it is what it is.

Especially considering Zaza's history with Kawhi from his days playing for Dallas, Zaza is a punk ass bitch and should be suspended for the series.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#805 » by Prokorov » Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 pm

i didnt think it was dirty.... i mean dude is a center, he isnt typically running out to get a hand out on 3 point shooters. looked like he just tried to alter the shot and got under him
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#806 » by shakendfries » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Prokorov wrote:i didnt think it was dirty.... i mean dude is a center, he isnt typically running out to get a hand out on 3 point shooters. looked like he just tried to alter the shot and got under him

The Warriors don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to unnatural movements/acts & Zaza has a history of these unnatural movements against Kawhi

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#807 » by CalamityX12 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:36 pm

shakendfries wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Didnt think it could come to this but:

When multiple former NBA players have come out and admitted that undercutting players is a deliberate act, there is no question that what Zaza did was a dirty play, & sucker move. Jalen Rose & DeMare Carroll did it to Kobe, & Kobe essentially came out to acknowledge it as an intentional act. If that ever happened to Steph st this point in his career, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Undercutting is a dirty play that needs to be eliminated from the game. The league needs to ensure this move isn't an option for players trying to stifle their opponents because it's a dangerous play.

It's feels weird mentioning Dray & Zaza amongst the Rick Mahorns, & Bruce Bowens but it is what it is.

Especially considering Zaza's history with Kawhi from his days playing for Dallas, Zaza is a punk ass bitch and should be suspended for the series.

Im not aware of the Zaza history with Kawhi...

looking at those replays, i dont see it. It's not a real undercut.... I don't see Zaza making jump into Kawhi with a deliberate stop. I don't see an extension of his foot/leg into Kawhi. There's that "last" step but i think nothing of it when i consider its a big man's momentum.

I hate undercutting, reason why I'll never root for Dahntay Jones ever. I can't say/agree that Zaza's so called dirty play was that of the aforementioned?

Thats too much, even from former NBA players. They think they know something and see it there but it may not be the case.

If the NBA is going to call that unsportsmanlike or a flagrant, then all the contact to players while driving to the rim should be a flagrant...

From the undercutting I've seen, its dirty whether the player that got "fouled" got hurt or not on the play. But if Kawhi didn't get hurt, are people still looking at this as a dirty play or a run of the mill challenge to the perimeter by a big man?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#808 » by shakendfries » Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#809 » by kamaze » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Plays like that happen all the time. He should've went back to the locker room after the first ankle injury where he stepped on David Lee's foot on the bench. They say he's a warrior though and always wants to play.

Championship teams do whatever it takes to get an edge. The Spurs were knocking players down yesterday, the Cavs will too that's just how it is.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#810 » by Paradise » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Anyone else see this?

Sad to hear KG talk about how when they came to Brooklyn, players didn't want to set up and lead.

Hear him but they came in there and acted the fool for half the season. KG was garbage in Year 1 until the postseason and Lopez injury. Same with Pierce.

I respect their work ethic beforehand but nobody can tell me with a straight face they were not also part of the sinking ship that started 10-20.

Btw, if it was so bad here. Why did Pierce try to re-sign? Why did KG pick up his option? lol. They just don't wanna admit they liked it her.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#811 » by shakendfries » Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 pm

kamaze wrote:Plays like that happen all the time. He should've went back to the locker room after the first ankle injury where he stepped on David Lee's foot on the bench. They say he's a warrior though and always wants to play.

Championship teams do whatever it takes to get an edge. The Spurs were knocking players down yesterday, the Cavs will too that's just how it is.

It's all fun and well to say 'it's just part of the game' until someone deliberately injures the star of your team.

Who knows how serious the injury is & could've been? Dahntay Jones ruptured Kobe's achilles with that play. It's dirty and the league should do something about it.

ImageImage

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#812 » by Prokorov » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 pm

shakendfries wrote:
kamaze wrote:Plays like that happen all the time. He should've went back to the locker room after the first ankle injury where he stepped on David Lee's foot on the bench. They say he's a warrior though and always wants to play.

It's all fun and well to say 'it's just part of the game' until someone deliberately injures the star of your team.

Who knows how serious the injury is & could've been? Dahntay Jones ruptured Kobe's achilles with that play. It's dirty and the league should do something about it.

i agree with you.... only i dont think he deliberately tried to injure kawai. i dont even think he knew he injured him and was more concerned with the whistle.

im not sure what the league should do... ban contesting jump shots? i mean you certainly get under a guy intentionally and try and hurt him, but after watching it like 10 times thats just not what i see
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#813 » by Prokorov » Mon May 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Paradise wrote:

Sad to hear KG talk about how when they came to Brooklyn, players didn't want to set up and lead.

Hear him but they came in there and acted the fool for half the season. KG was garbage in Year 1 until the postseason and Lopez injury. Same with Pierce.

I respect their work ethic beforehand but nobody can tell me with a straight face they were not also part of the sinking ship that started 10-20.

Btw, if it was so bad here. Why did Pierce try to re-sign? Why did KG pick up his option? lol. They just don't wanna admit they liked it her.

KG was playing out of position and pierce had an injured thumb..... brook went down and KG got to move to center... we then could do more on defense and play small like kidd wanted. pierce healed up and his shooting skyrocketed.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#814 » by Paradise » Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:

KG was playing out of position and pierce had an injured thumb..... brook went down and KG got to move to center... we then could do more on defense and play small like kidd wanted. pierce healed up and his shooting skyrocketed.

Nah, it wasn't the injuries. It was the mindset. They came out and competed like dogs in the second game of the season at Orlando after beating Miami on opening night. KG wasn't that old not to be able to produce out of position or not.

Not taking anything from the small-ball Nets but it was Livingston/Plumlee that made that lineup work. Pierce's stats prior to the trade was the same. Awful first half but good second halfs of the season.

Dude was straight up trying to be lazy out there for a half season until they were getting booed off the floor and turned it on. KG missed time later on and we were still winning.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#815 » by shakendfries » Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

i agree with you.... only i dont think he deliberately tried to injure kawai. i dont even think he knew he injured him and was more concerned with the whistle.

im not sure what the league should do... ban contesting jump shots? i mean you certainly get under a guy intentionally and try and hurt him, but after watching it like 10 times thats just not what i see

My vote on fixing the perimeter defensive problems is to simply allow hand checking along the perimeter. However, anything that impedes a natural (not the phantom James Harden calls) shooting motion should not be allowed. There's nothing wrong with physicality within the right context.

They should heavily penalize undercutting and unnatural actions into oblivion. Like when Metta World Peace elbowed harden in the head- that stuff just shouldn't happen. Just play the game.

ImageImage

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#816 » by Prokorov » Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:Hear him but they came in there and acted the fool for half the season. KG was garbage in Year 1 until the postseason and Lopez injury. Same with Pierce.

Nah, it wasn't the injuries. It was the mindset. They came out and competed like dogs in the second game of the season at Orlando after beating Miami on opening night. KG wasn't that old not to be able to produce out of position or not.

Not taking anything from the small-ball Nets but it was Livingston/Plumlee that made that lineup work. Pierce's stats prior to the trade was the same. Awful first half but good second halfs of the season.

Dude was straight up trying to be lazy out there for a half season until they were getting booed off the floor and turned it on. KG missed time later on and we were still winning.

plumlee and livingston? no. it was all about KG at the 5 and alan anderson in the starting lineup. again, pierce was playing with an injured thumb. look at how well he played after that first month. he had a .484 TS in november with the hurt thumb... next month he was back up to a 60TS% in january and was good all year from then on.

KG/Pierce were brought in to be role guys... they didnt realize that deron/joe/lopez were enormous heartless non competitive guys... once they realized it and brook got hurt they started to shoulder the load more. KG at Center was the driving force along with small ball. Pierce/KG were instramental along with Joe stepping up.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#817 » by Prokorov » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

My vote on fixing the perimeter defensive problems is to simply allow hand checking along the perimeter. However, anything that impedes a natural (not the phantom James Harden calls) shooting motion should not be allowed. There's nothing wrong with physicality within the right context.

They should heavily penalize undercutting and unnatural actions into oblivion. Like when Metta World Peace elbowed harden in the head- that stuff just shouldn't happen. Just play the game.

apples and oranges with an artest elbow vs a zaza close out. hand checking doesnt address close outs on rotations. undercutting intentionally is one thing. i still dont see how zaza did anything wrong.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#818 » by Kaiser30 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Paradise wrote:Nah, it wasn't the injuries. It was the mindset. They came out and competed like dogs in the second game of the season at Orlando after beating Miami on opening night. KG wasn't that old not to be able to produce out of position or not.

This and they absolutely got trashed on twitter by beat wirters who followed the team at that particular time for coming into Brooklyn exceptionally unprepaired and out of shape. We can talk about their role all day, but at the end of the day, I think there is no denying that Pierce and KG were not the same players in Brooklyn than in Boston and the FO kind of expected to get for that steep of a price. KG played 35 MPG during his last playoffs with the Celtics. As soon as he stepped one foot into Brooklyn, he was limited to 20 MPG not only in the regular season but also the playoffs. Inexcusable.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#819 » by Claud » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Sigh... who would have expected it..? Another Cavs vs Dubs finals. :roll:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#820 » by kamaze » Tue May 16, 2017 1:20 am

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

Pachulia is known to be a physical player throwing elbows and such nothing wrong with that of course he did it intentionally. If you show a weakness; in this Kawai's ankle; players are always going to attack it that's the smart thing to do.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets