Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Official Current Affairs & Politics thread 

Post#1 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Oct 2, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello everyone,

In order to have a place where we can talk about important social and political issues without derailing other threads, let's shift our conversations to this thread please.

- NyCe

Update: 8/24/2018
The Nets moderators have agreed to establish some ground rules for discussion in this thread.

Most boards avoid maintaining a thread about politics, because it often devolves into name-calling and mudslinging, and moves away from good-natured critical thinking and a willingness to understand or adapt/change one's views based upon the presentation of high quality arguments and evidence.

It is important to remember that posting on this site is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, in order to maintain good faith conversation about current affairs and politics, we are reminding everyone of and will be enforcing 2 major RealGM rules:

1) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/ BE RESPECTFUL
It doesn't matter if someone attacked you first. Name-calling, belittling, or labeling will not be tolerated regardless of who said it. Report the offending message by clicking on the exclamation point in the upper-right corner of the post and continue discussion.

2) NO TROLLING/ DISCUSS IN GOOD FAITH
We understand that board members will have differing political views and could favor viewpoints from news sources of a particular ideological persuasion. As a result, it is very easy for arguments about one's views to conflict with those of another.

When discussing or debating the nature/value/merits of a political figure, group, or ideology, we expect you to seriously assess points made and questioned asked by other posters. Ignoring or refusing to respond to such points and questions from others while continuing to post uncritical or low quality information yourself will be considered trolling. This is a thread of quality discussion and debate, not a soundboard for propaganda.

If you violate either of these rules, you will receive a warning. RealGM operates on a 3 strike policy:

RealGM wrote:Warning #1: PM or Public Warning
Warning #2: PM or Public Warning
Warning #3 Three-Day Suspension
Warning #4 Seven-Day Suspension
Warning #5 Full Ban From RealGM.

However, considering how often discussions of such topics can lead to inflammatory commentary, the Nets board moderators reserve the right to escalate the level of punishment according to the degree of the invective used or ignorance displayed.

In short, be respectful and understanding of differences in opinion, while being critical of the opinions of others as well as your own. Most forums don't allow such discussions, so treat the ability to discourse as a privilege. If someone violates the aforementioned rules, report the post.

— Nets Board moderators
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,745

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics thread 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Oct 2, 2016 1:46 pm

shakendfries wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
qiantom wrote:My foreigner's perspective: I don't think you can compare US to most other countries. Civilians do not possess guns in most countries. Frankly I do not understand why anyone wants to join the police in the US. The cost/benefit does not make sense compared to other countries and it does not seem to be a job liked or respected by people nowadays.
Allowing civilians to have guns is obviously good in many aspects but the police may forever be in a tough situation because of this. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

I'd just like to revisit your comment really quick.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-cops-run-mentally-ill-homeless-man-article-1.2813934

Two California cops who fatally shot a mentally ill homeless man tried to run him over with their police cruiser just seconds before opening fire, new dashcam video shows.

“F--k this guy,” one of the officers said as the Sacramento partners sped toward Joseph Mann. “I’m going to hit him.”

People on the outside have no idea what kind of garbage is going on here. The United States is becoming a fascist killer police state where a racist, hateful segment of the population condones everything that the police are doing because the media only highlights the non white victims being killed.

Your post is emotional MDB, and with cause. Those comments from those officers are callous, shameful, and downright inhumane. There is no doubt that those officers have abused the power of the shield in the worst possible way. But I contend that your frustration is misdirected. Once Americans get more angry at the individual state attorneys and prosecutors who actively and willingly impede cases, delay them for months, and do everything in their power to muddle the judicial process for cases against rogue officers to tilt the balance of justice in the officers' favor, only then will things change. The fact that police unions have vast political influence to effect who gets elected to these positions is the real issue standing in the way of justice for all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Oh, I've mentioned before about the prosecutors. They're just as complicit. Any police killing needs to be immediately turned over to a federal oversight board of independent prosecutors who have to be mandated to assess, review and recommend charges that can be correctly applied in the face of wrong doings.

The police unions just need to be disbanded.

I don't want to derail this thread any more really with this stuff, but its a sad state of affairs when you have actual US Veterans who have been in combat saying that police have more leeway to open fire on our civilians than they do against enemy combatants overseas :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#3 » by Paradise » Sun Oct 2, 2016 2:24 pm

I like some the solutions being thrown around but the harsh reality is we need to first expose the money making scheme that exists in this country first. So many folks don't even know about the private prison stock market and the financial benefits these elitists make by getting a black man locked up for not paying a car ticket or getting stopped due to a nugget of marijuana.

What's happening today isn't necessarily just upsetting because of the amount of killings unarmed men and women have become victims of. It's also the system where a man with no criminal background could be sentenced to quality time for something like not showing up to a court date while a white kid could rape a girl unconscious and be sentenced to 6 weeks because he's never committed a crime.

The reality is when we dig deeper into understanding why the game is rigged against us. You begin to realize it was never meant for you to succeed. That's the state a lot of us are in and it's hard to watch so many athletes turn a blind eye to these cops who constantly get away with murder and the scary thing is we haven't even touched on some of these cops who have been reportedly forcing their way into homes and raping women. We haven't even mentioned the cops who shoot at little children.

Quite honestly, I'm not trying to make anything I say turn into a controversial discussion but if they were any good cops. They would've protested these tragedies themselves. Yet, we rely on our athletes to be our voice of support and reason instead of these good cops who haven't made themselves heard in any major way. Just keep that in mind.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#4 » by shakendfries » Sun Oct 2, 2016 2:37 pm

shakendfries wrote:
qiantom wrote:My foreigner's perspective: I don't think you can compare US to most other countries. Civilians do not possess guns in most countries. Frankly I do not understand why anyone wants to join the police in the US. The cost/benefit does not make sense compared to other countries and it does not seem to be a job liked or respected by people nowadays.
Allowing civilians to have guns is obviously good in many aspects but the police may forever be in a tough situation because of this. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

The firearm trafficking problem is far deeper than it appears. The gun market is highly unregulated to the point where individual firearms cannot be discernibly tracked to an owner, obtaining licenses isn't a rigorous process, and the resale of firearms is completely unregulated. As a result, it is extremely easy for a licensed owner to resale firearms without the need to monitor how many they're selling and who they're selling it to. All of these factors contribute to the illicit, but very profitable, trafficking of firearms to inner cities.

On top of that, firearms is one of the country's largest industries.

source

$13.5 billion

Annual revenue of gun and ammunition manufacturing industry, with a $1.5 billion profit. (IBIS World)

$3.1 billion

Annual revenue of gun and ammunition stores, with a $478.4 million profit. (IBIS World)

The number of pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns and miscellaneous firearms manufactured in the U.S. in 2013, the latest full year available. That's 4,441,726 pistols, 725,282 revolvers, 3,979,570 rifles, 1,203,072 shotguns, and 495,142 miscellaneous firearms. (ATF)

4%

advertisement
Percentage of the above guns which were exported. Of those 10.84 million guns, 10,413,880 stay in America. (ATF)

270-310 million

Estimated number of guns in the U.S. (Pew Research Center)

Number of full-time jobs related to the firearm industry, up from 209,750 in 2012. (NSSF)

$42.9 billion

Estimated overall economic impact of the firearms and ammo industry in the U.S. (NSSF)

As in many countries, the relationship between corporations and political influence is inextricable. If you ever wondered why an uncouth candidate like a Trump has become influential, a lot of it is because he represents the interests of large industries. The overwhelming motivation and interest of these industries is deregulation.

America is also very much a "fast food" "reality tv" "microwave ready" country, which limits Americans socially. Simply put, most Americans do not have the patience to grasp nuanced political debates. Thus political discussions are often boiled down into the most digestible formats, "they want to take your guns!", rather than dwelling in the teasing of generally reasonable nuances.

Thus, when a story breaks, the headlines are usually boiled down into the most viral & digestible format. "A cop killed someone unarmed. Is the cop racist? Did the person have a criminal history?" "A mass shooting happened! What went wrong with this troubled kid's upbringing?"

As a result, when election time draws near you're usually dealing with politicians who will dwell on trivial debates that fail to address the nuanced heart of the real issues, who will suggest solutions that won't get passed when dealing with political opponents whose campaigns are funded by conflicting corporations, and citizens are forced to choose between less civil liberties or more of the same.

There are countries who allow citizens to own guns and also have low rates of crime , but these countries force every citizen to undergo basic military training. There are also plenty of reasonable measures that can be taken to reduce instances of the violence associated with firearms. However, these measures will never be passed since corporations who greatly profit from an unregulated market are financially tied to the funding of a large group of politicians who won't vote for it, and generating watered down and highly emotional debates generates more views than watching actual legislation on CSPAN.

There was a candidate who wanted to limit corporate influence on politics, but the general public is far more drawn to gestures, and getting their emotions riled up, than a nuanced discussion of real issues. Instead, you have one person who's unabashedly tied to a certain sphere of unregulated corporate influence, and another one, who suggests taxing the wealthy more without presenting a comprehensive strategy for its use or benefit. They're both equally untrustworthy.

From an outside perspective, you'd think America is progressing towards a discernible sense of advancement, but it's not. The news talking points haven't changed in decades, and things like "the first minority president!" are merely gestures and window dressing to the fact that virtually nothing is changing for the average American regardless of who wins. Obama was the first black president, and while regulation has improved the state of the economy, life isn't any different for the average black person in the country. In many ways, the illusion that a figure like Obama creates that gives people reason to presume the absence of racial disparities within the country's institutions makes it worse.

Kap taking a knee isn't going to change anything. Americans are going to elect an official who won't change anything.

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#5 » by kamaze » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:50 am

Paradise wrote:
anthoang wrote:
PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Hes American. And its an American issue.

To be more precise, Lin is Asian-American. Kaep protest is a white/black issue. Kaep is not protesting for Asians. Keep Lin (and the other players) out of it, let him focus on winning games for the Nets.

He's an American. He was raised here. These current social issues may not affect his race but he's obviously a genuine man who knows right and wrong. I'm sure he's been affected from racism in his life plenty of times as well. There are some white athletes who have protested the flag as well. I think it's great. Quite honestly, Lin and Melo are the only New York athletes who care enough to voice a real opinion. As a black man myself, it pained me to be a Giants fan and hear Victor Cruz turn the other cheek when asked about the state of America.

You don't have to agree with protests but seeing so many black athletes disregarding these serious issues changes the mindset of ALOT of people. Especially, minorities.

The simple fact Lin can outright acknowledge to the media that Linsanity wouldn't have been a huge deal if he wasn't Asian shows he isn't the type of person to hide behind a privilege.

Lin has experienced racism before because he's Asian and he will this season as well unfortunately that's how it is. The fact that he's not black is just why his stance is so important. You said there's others besides the soccer player who else has had the courage to stand up for what's right? I'm curious. Like you said a lot of athletes turn a blind eye to the situation whether it's for fear of losing endorsements, others just don't want to be involved.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:52 am

It's great to have this thread. There will always been racism discussion related to Lin.

#AllLivesMatter
#GunControl
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#7 » by kamaze » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:59 am

tonman wrote:
There are a lot of cops and cops are human beings aND are not perfect. You are not perfect. Therefore there will always be a small number of these incidents. You respect the cops because when you need the help you are picking up the phone and calling them. And guess what, they are going to show up. Again I said there should be protest of rash police excessive force but it is to everyone best interests to work together. It is this us vs. Them mentality that is destroying this country. It's police vs unarmed citizens. Republicans vs democrats. White vs. Black. Man vs. Women. Religious freedom vs discrimination of homosexuals and transgender. Nothing is ever black and white but it is easy to make it all about one side or another. You claim good cops do not speak out. How do you know that? You've already acted as judge and jury to the woman cop. Is that justice?

[quote=Prokhorov]people are working together... thats what the black lives matter campaign is all about... people coming together to fight for something when their government has failed them. the system is broken, and its broken badly. and it doesnt stop at police, the entire criminal justice system has a major corruption and race issue.

this wont be solved by civilians and cops coming together kissing and making up... thats just what people want to see so they can go back to living in their bubble where america is some great place with no major issues. they want that facade back.

but thats not what the country needs. what the country needs is civilians to take a hard stance against government and force change. not ask for it, not demand it, but force it. and hopefully we get there... we live in a country not run by capitalism or liberty but by mass marketing. and as soon as the next big story hits people tend to forget about yestardays news... but this is a big issue and people have a bigger voice now then in the past.

hopefully the fight continues, it continues strong and those with the loudest voices continue to step up and force people to pay attention instead of forming their opinions based off of facebook memes

This. discussions don't change anything when the person you're talking to won't acknowledge there's a problem.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#8 » by tonman » Mon Oct 3, 2016 5:20 am

kamaze wrote:
tonman wrote:
There are a lot of cops and cops are human beings aND are not perfect. You are not perfect. Therefore there will always be a small number of these incidents. You respect the cops because when you need the help you are picking up the phone and calling them. And guess what, they are going to show up. Again I said there should be protest of rash police excessive force but it is to everyone best interests to work together. It is this us vs. Them mentality that is destroying this country. It's police vs unarmed citizens. Republicans vs democrats. White vs. Black. Man vs. Women. Religious freedom vs discrimination of homosexuals and transgender. Nothing is ever black and white but it is easy to make it all about one side or another. You claim good cops do not speak out. How do you know that? You've already acted as judge and jury to the woman cop. Is that justice?

[quote=Prokhorov]people are working together... thats what the black lives matter campaign is all about... people coming together to fight for something when their government has failed them. the system is broken, and its broken badly. and it doesnt stop at police, the entire criminal justice system has a major corruption and race issue.

this wont be solved by civilians and cops coming together kissing and making up... thats just what people want to see so they can go back to living in their bubble where america is some great place with no major issues. they want that facade back.

but thats not what the country needs. what the country needs is civilians to take a hard stance against government and force change. not ask for it, not demand it, but force it. and hopefully we get there... we live in a country not run by capitalism or liberty but by mass marketing. and as soon as the next big story hits people tend to forget about yestardays news... but this is a big issue and people have a bigger voice now then in the past.

hopefully the fight continues, it continues strong and those with the loudest voices continue to step up and force people to pay attention instead of forming their opinions based off of facebook memes

This. discussions don't change anything when the person you're talking to won't acknowledge there's a problem.

first, police use of excessive force NEEDS to be addressed. I just want to make that clear. but we need to make it less of a race issue and more of a police brutality issue. if we make it more of a race issue, then we get the problems that we saw in NY and Dallas where police officers are shot/killed in return. this is not what we want. that's all I am saying. we have the right to protest but we need to know what we are doing and not make matters worse. Prokhorov says its about people coming together to fight for something. does that mean if a white guy is shot and killed by police the black lives matter campaign is out there protesting too?

yes there are issues with the criminal justice system. are there racial bias? most likely but in today's society, money wins and if more minorities are poor/in poverty (24% blacks, 21% Hispanics, only 9% whites and 14% others - total US population in poverty 14%) then you would expect more minorities in the justice system on the basis of income alone. there was the documentary on the justice system and money and one of the main cases was of course the OJ Simpson case.

so do we want to voice our concerns about police brutality? issues in the justice system? YES. by all means yes. but along with this we as a community needs to work to make the reason why there is a discrepancy in the race prison population and that is addressing crime, drugs, gangs, etc. imo, that is what we need to be fighting. but that is another topic.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#9 » by tonman » Mon Oct 3, 2016 5:27 am

Paradise wrote:I like some the solutions being thrown around but the harsh reality is we need to first expose the money making scheme that exists in this country first. So many folks don't even know about the private prison stock market and the financial benefits these elitists make by getting a black man locked up for not paying a car ticket or getting stopped due to a nugget of marijuana.

What's happening today isn't necessarily just upsetting because of the amount of killings unarmed men and women have become victims of. It's also the system where a man with no criminal background could be sentenced to quality time for something like not showing up to a court date while a white kid could rape a girl unconscious and be sentenced to 6 weeks because he's never committed a crime.

The reality is when we dig deeper into understanding why the game is rigged against us. You begin to realize it was never meant for you to succeed. That's the state a lot of us are in and it's hard to watch so many athletes turn a blind eye to these cops who constantly get away with murder and the scary thing is we haven't even touched on some of these cops who have been reportedly forcing their way into homes and raping women. We haven't even mentioned the cops who shoot at little children.

Quite honestly, I'm not trying to make anything I say turn into a controversial discussion but if they were any good cops. They would've protested these tragedies themselves. Yet, we rely on our athletes to be our voice of support and reason instead of these good cops who haven't made themselves heard in any major way. Just keep that in mind.

what cops do on their own time off clock is one thing. as a cop, they are only allowed to enforce the law. they have a responsibility to pick up the guy for jaywalking or for murder. it's up to the system to account for guilt/innocence and penalty. though I agree that the privatization of the prison system with for-profit prisons is an extremely risky endeavor.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by shakendfries » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:44 am

tonman wrote:Prokhorov says its about people coming together to fight for something. does that mean if a white guy is shot and killed by police the black lives matter campaign is out there protesting too?

Well, since you brought it up...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interestingly enough, the #AllLivesMatter audience failed to comment on the matter

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by shakendfries » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:58 am

tonman wrote:first, police use of excessive force NEEDS to be addressed. I just want to make that clear.

Please continue, how must it be addressed? Feel free to voice your own concerns about the issues within the criminal justice system, in addition to your concerns over the vocal outcry that athletes are bringing attention to

ImageImage

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by shakendfries » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:20 am

tonman wrote: but we need to make it less of a race issue and more of a police brutality issue

But surely you wouldn't deny the existence of fairly extreme racial disparities, that, at least from a historical context, would explicitly cast the current state criminal justice with an extremely racist lens

ImageImage

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by shakendfries » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:32 am

tonman wrote:yes there are issues with the criminal justice system. are there racial bias? most likely but in today's society, money wins and if more minorities are poor/in poverty (24% blacks, 21% Hispanics, only 9% whites and 14% others - total US population in poverty 14%) then you would expect more minorities in the justice system on the basis of income alone

ImageImage

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:05 pm

tonman wrote:
kamaze wrote:
tonman wrote:

first, police use of excessive force NEEDS to be addressed. I just want to make that clear. but we need to make it less of a race issue and more of a police brutality issue. if we make it more of a race issue, then we get the problems that we saw in NY and Dallas where police officers are shot/killed in return. this is not what we want. that's all I am saying. we have the right to protest but we need to know what we are doing and not make matters worse. Prokhorov says its about people coming together to fight for something. does that mean if a white guy is shot and killed by police the black lives matter campaign is out there protesting too?

yes there are issues with the criminal justice system. are there racial bias? most likely but in today's society, money wins and if more minorities are poor/in poverty (24% blacks, 21% Hispanics, only 9% whites and 14% others - total US population in poverty 14%) then you would expect more minorities in the justice system on the basis of income alone. there was the documentary on the justice system and money and one of the main cases was of course the OJ Simpson case.

so do we want to voice our concerns about police brutality? issues in the justice system? YES. by all means yes. but along with this we as a community needs to work to make the reason why there is a discrepancy in the race prison population and that is addressing crime, drugs, gangs, etc. imo, that is what we need to be fighting. but that is another topic.

The problem is, the media, who is playing a hand in amplifying or highlight racial divisions in this country, only show the stories of unarmed black victims. I have been calling for every single case of police brutality/murder to be highlighted because it goes beyond race, the police are out of control and no one is immune to it. White men are being gunned down by police.

Hispanic/Latinos are getting killed and no one is saying anything. There is a lack of empathy from segments of the white american community because they don't see the many, many cases of white people being shot like dogs. If they did, I'd wager attitudes would be different. A black mother is fearful if her son comes across a police officer. A white mother doesn't even think twice about it. If the white mother knew that her son's life was in danger if he comes across police even for the most smallest of issues (traffic stop), her attitude would change drastically.

Even though I'm black, I am not a big BLM guy. i respect their calls for justice, but there are some things on their overall platform that i've read on their website that I don't agree with, and I do not like when you see blatant discriminatory behavior against non blacks at some of these rallies. MLK would not have condoned that kind of behavior, hell even Malcolm X after he returned from Mecca would take issue to that. You want to be better than that. I have seen BLM however take issue with white slayings by police too, I think there was a case in california where a guy was murdered in broad daylight by police and there was support for him as well.

Addressing community problems that you speak about does not mean that immediate action cannot be taken with how policing is done in this country. I can see a solution or a curbing of unjust police killings being implemented a lot faster than ending the cycle of poverty in inner cities. Gangs, drugs, crime are socioeconomic issues that will take decades to reverse because of the damage done during the 80s and 90s with the crack epidemic and the mandatory sentencing laws that completely ripped apart the black community.

I'd also say, for profit prisons being abolished on all levels will be a step in the right direction. The Judicial system should not be providing a back door hand out to the prison industrial complex by giving them a pipeline of non violent offenders who are worth a few hundred thousand dollars each in tax payer money.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:12 pm

shakendfries wrote:
tonman wrote:Prokhorov says its about people coming together to fight for something. does that mean if a white guy is shot and killed by police the black lives matter campaign is out there protesting too?

Well, since you brought it up...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interestingly enough, the #AllLivesMatter audience failed to comment on the matter

^exactly. The All Lives Matters folks just want black people to stop disturbing their privilege. I have seen a lot of posts about what happened to that child, in fact a black lives matter activist's facebook page is how I found the horrific video of what those animals did. To see that boy slumped in that front seat, gushing blood was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Anyone with a shred of empathy in their body doesn't see skin color at that point, you just see a boy who is dead and a father who is barely clinging to life. and the follow up for that story is even worse because the piece of **** cop was stalking this man's wife so the entire situation could have been personal. And that's not an isolated incident. Cops harass and intimidate people for their own personal reasons every damn day and get away with it.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#16 » by Paradise » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:18 pm

I am not a supporter of BLM and I'm black man. First off, I always tell people look at the man who financially supports it. Google and research George Soros. You'll find out the type of folks running this country into the ground. The very fabric of this country was always made with the intent of devaluing colored people into categories of dysfunction.

The thing we need to understand is the folks controlling these social justice issues are ones we need to take issue with but we won't because once masses of people start to wake up to these people who should be brought to justice. We will find out these people own or control our entertainment or consumer habits. Hence why a lot of these so called "role model" athletes don't speak up. Why so many singers, rappers and other artists pretend these issues don't exist. The ones creating it control our dollars, our banks, our companies and favorite sports. These issues go past the court system because it all literally begins at the top.

Nobody is even talking about the stand off between the US and the Native Americans currently happening in North Dakota over the illegal pipelines. We're not even talking about the gas shortage happening in the south or what about Flint?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:18 pm

tonman wrote:
Paradise wrote:I like some the solutions being thrown around but the harsh reality is we need to first expose the money making scheme that exists in this country first. So many folks don't even know about the private prison stock market and the financial benefits these elitists make by getting a black man locked up for not paying a car ticket or getting stopped due to a nugget of marijuana.

what cops do on their own time off clock is one thing. as a cop, they are only allowed to enforce the law. they have a responsibility to pick up the guy for jaywalking or for murder. it's up to the system to account for guilt/innocence and penalty. though I agree that the privatization of the prison system with for-profit prisons is an extremely risky endeavor.

a "risky" endeavor? It's beyond risky, it is criminal

You literally have judges on the bench in our country getting kickbacks from private prison lobbyists to throw people in jail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

and regarding cops, the silence from the "good cops" says to me that they condone what their criminal counterparts do.

they are behaving like Hitler's gestapo and people are afraid to say it.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:27 pm

Paradise wrote:I am not a supporter of BLM and I'm black man. First off, I always tell people look at the man who financially supports it. Google and research George Soros. You'll find out the type of folks running this country into the ground.

The thing we need to understand is the folks controlling these social justice issues are ones we need to take issue with but we won't because once masses of people start to wake up to these people who should be brought to justice. We will find out these people own or control our entertainment or consumer habits. Hence why a lot of these so called "role model" athletes don't speak up.

Yeah, I know all about George Soros and BLM is a front. Yes, you have people who believe in what they are doing but when you dig deeper and see where the money comes from, it gets suspects. I just don't get down with some of the rhetoric or reverse racism either.

the role model athletes don't want to lose endorsements. it's a tough situation to be in where you see injustice but are afraid to speak out because you can be vilified and have everything that you worked hard for destroyed. I can't condemn Lebron for tip toeing the line in public. It takes a certain kind of man to go the route of Muhammad Ali.

That being said, being outspoken isn't the only way to combat this garbage. Athletes, celebrities, hell black americans in general have a lot of buying power that goes into places other than to help the overall situation. Setting up and financing PACs and Lobbies to get behind lawmakers that will push for hardcore police reforms is one of the best methods that I can think of in making some serious change.

As bad as this sounds, you have to pay to play in the US if you want the government to do your bidding. Corporations do this all the damn time. Hell, AIPAC has serious pull in our government and their main concern is a foreign country.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by shakendfries » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:14 pm

A chilling look at the normalization of warrior cops

Fittingly, the most chilling scene in the movie doesn’t take place on a city street, or at a protest, or during a drug raid. It takes place in a conference room. It’s from a police training conference with Dave Grossman, one of the most prolific police trainers in the country. Grossman’s classes teach officers to be less hesitant to use lethal force, urge them to be willing to do it more quickly and teach them how to adopt the mentality of a warrior. Jeronimo Yanez, the Minnesota police officer who shot and killed Philando Castille in July, had attended one of Grossman’s classes called “The Bulletproof Warrior” (though that particular class was taught by Grossman’s business partner, Jim Glennon).

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”
ImageImage

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 3, 2016 6:22 pm

Jeronimo Yanez is no warrior, he's a pussy and a coward who shot a man in cold blood and his hands were trembling like a bitch after he did it. I hope he catches the same fate, swear to god he deserves to die

And that kind of training should be ILLEGAL.

Killing human beings just so some limp dick pigs can have better sex should not be a perk. and people defend these thugs without hesitation. This makes me even less sympathetic about Dallas and Baton Rouge.

Return to Brooklyn Nets