ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics thread 

Post#441 » by Aussienet3 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:49 am

Hey guys, My dad once said never discuss religion and politics with customers (we run a family business) but here goes. being from Australia we get the news relating to Obama, Clinton and Trump. Seeing as I have no idea why I see people spewing venom and vitriol about Trump on news feeds. I was wondering if someone could basically explain why/how your politics works. I know I'm going to get some passionate people respond for their cause/party. The way I see politics in Australia (I have voted for both major parties in the past) is that whoever wins is the winner! If that was my team then yay for me. But if it's not my team then i'm like oh well chin up. see you in another 4 years time. I don't get why people waste their time hating on something they can't change. Did you guys hear that one of our former prime ministers was head butted in the street the other day giving him a fat lip. Just because the guy hated him! how can you hate a person you don't know.?? I personally believe it was over our same sex marriage issue as the guy had a vote yes badge whilst our former prime minister has said he doesn't agree with it and will vote no. No chance any one gets close enough to any former POTUS to shake their hand let alone launch a head butt. Anyways I look forward to reading your response's.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#442 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Donald Trump is a racist white supremacist, a nazi sympathizer, a liar, a **** talking bully, a grifter, a criminal and a traitor. He has staffed the government with unqualified people who work more to dismantle the agency that they are in charge of instead of advancing it. He's currently under federal investigation. He has attached his name to discriminatory policies. His actions have caused innocent people to be rounded up and currently has latino/a people who have lived in our country for years living in fear. He openly panders to racists. This isn't just a case of hating a person "you don't know".

Trump makes me miss George W. Bush for god's sake, and I voted against him TWICE.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#443 » by Ror1997 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 pm

On top of that, his presidency is a direct retaliation against Obama being elected. America has a black president for 8 years, then a guy starts pandering to all the inbreds down south, talking about "make america great again".... He doesn't even try to hide anything.

All anybody could really say about Trump after the election was "this dude is gonna get us killed". And Here we are playing nuclear chicken with north korea not even 10 months into his term.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#444 » by Ror1997 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#445 » by shakendfries » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Every 4 years, the American media riles people up into thinking the fate of the universe depends on checking a box on a piece of paper. Given that a vast majority of Americans are couch potatoes, they fall for it and wear their political affiliation on their sleeve. The reality is that in the grand scheme, very little changes for most of their lives between national candidates aside from taxes.

This is a country that is rife with complacency and contentment with the spoils of capitalism like modern electronics, sports teams to root for, movies to watch, products to buy, celebrities to gossip about, that they fail to grasp that their collective standard of living is gradually deteriorating every year. This means that the media thrives on fanning the flames of division and promoting the bickering and infighting between its middle and lower class citizens.

The reality is that the liberties of your average American are gradually encroached by candidates on both sides every year but most are too brainwashed to see it, and lazy to do anything about it. The very notion of a "peaceful protest" is an attempt by the affluent to subdue the masses into believing that all they can do about the things they see wrong in the country is complain. That's how the discussion on mass incarceration system has turned into a discussion on whether millionaires working for billionaires are allowed to express their personal discontent by choosing to kneel at a football game.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#446 » by tonman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

shakendfries wrote:Every 4 years, the American media riles people up into thinking the fate of the universe depends on checking a box on a piece of paper. Given that a vast majority of Americans are couch potatoes, they fall for it and wear their political affiliation on their sleeve. The reality is that in the grand scheme, very little changes for most of their lives between national candidates aside from taxes.

This is a country that is rife with complacency and contentment with the spoils of capitalism like modern electronics, sports teams to root for, movies to watch, products to buy, celebrities to gossip about, that they fail to grasp that their collective standard of living is gradually deteriorating every year. This means that the media thrives on fanning the flames of division and promoting the bickering and infighting between its middle and lower class citizens.

The reality is that the liberties of your average American are gradually encroached by candidates on both sides every year but most are too brainwashed to see it, and lazy to do anything about it. The very notion of a "peaceful protest" is an attempt by the affluent to subdue the masses into believing that all they can do about the things they see wrong in the country is complain. That's how the discussion on mass incarceration system has turned into a discussion on whether millionaires working for billionaires are allowed to express their personal discontent by choosing to kneel at a football game.

Its not the media. Its the two parties. Bothparties collluded with each otherto concentrate political power amongst themselves knowing full well that overtime, the pendulum will swing back to them. In the 90s we saw an attempt by a third party tochallenge and all of a sudden there were updates to the election process to minimize perot's impact. Now you see gerrymandering which all leads to attempts for a sjngle partyrule.

The mediaplays up the patriotism but as you indicate nothing changes. Its like china and russia showing people that there are other political parties that people can vote for but in reality those parties never really exist.

You can tell how things have evolved when the bil to allow companies PACs to donate as much money as possible to a candidate passed. Now reelection funds can pay for legal fees for politicians and their campaign leaders when they commit crimeswhile in office.

It all comes down to somethingthat has persisted throjghout time. The quest for power. Those who currently weild it and those who want it.

The only wayfor this to change is for people to stand up for change but you have to remember from above, whos in power (And who voted for them) are not going to relinquish their hold on power unless the peoplewho voted for them pressures them to do so. If the trump base doesnt spend any effort in understanding the damage that trump is doing then the republicanparty willnot challenge as they have control of govt. Fortunately not all republicans are blind followers and so far there is enough separation of powers that things have not fallen completely apart.

People forget that their ideology beliefs regarding how things should be may solve oneproblem but it doesnt mean the same approach will work on allproblems. You have seen in the past how there have been succesfulgovernment from both the consevative sides and liberal sides but eventually issues arise and the voters swing the pendulum back. Theres probablymore common ground between moderate republicans and moderate democrats then to others in their own parties.

Anyway the only waythings are going to change are either our leaders see the problem and work together to resolve the problem orthe people threaten to kick them out of office forcing them to do something.

Sorry for rambling but its like the LGBT rights and instead ofrejoicing in an end to anotherform of discrimination, a billwas passed to reaffirm one groups rights were more important than another groups. This nas to end sometime.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,755

Post#447 » by Rich Rane » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Donald Trump is a racist white supremacist, a nazi sympathizer, a liar, a **** talking bully, a grifter, a criminal and a traitor.

Please keep in mind, most if not all that could've been said about him before he announced his candidacy and people still voted for him.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#448 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:26 pm

tonman wrote:
shakendfries wrote:Every 4 years, the American media riles people up into thinking the fate of the universe depends on checking a box on a piece of paper. Given that a vast majority of Americans are couch potatoes, they fall for it and wear their political affiliation on their sleeve. The reality is that in the grand scheme, very little changes for most of their lives between national candidates aside from taxes.

Its not the media. Its the two parties. Bothparties collluded with each otherto concentrate political power amongst themselves knowing full well that overtime, the pendulum will swing back to them. In the 90s we saw an attempt by a third party tochallenge and all of a sudden there were updates to the election process to minimize perot's impact. Now you see gerrymandering which all leads to attempts for a sjngle partyrule.

The mediaplays up the patriotism but as you indicate nothing changes. Its like china and russia showing people that there are other political parties that people can vote for but in reality those parties never really exist.

You can tell how things have evolved when the bil to allow companies PACs to donate as much money as possible to a candidate passed. Now reelection funds can pay for legal fees for politicians and their campaign leaders when they commit crimeswhile in office.

It all comes down to somethingthat has persisted throjghout time. The quest for power. Those who currently weild it and those who want it.

The only wayfor this to change is for people to stand up for change but you have to remember from above, whos in power (And who voted for them) are not going to relinquish their hold on power unless the peoplewho voted for them pressures them to do so. If the trump base doesnt spend any effort in understanding the damage that trump is doing then the republicanparty willnot challenge as they have control of govt. Fortunately not all republicans are blind followers and so far there is enough separation of powers that things have not fallen completely apart.

People forget that their ideology beliefs regarding how things should be may solve oneproblem but it doesnt mean the same approach will work on allproblems. You have seen in the past how there have been succesfulgovernment from both the consevative sides and liberal sides but eventually issues arise and the voters swing the pendulum back. Theres probablymore common ground between moderate republicans and moderate democrats then to others in their own parties.

Anyway the only waythings are going to change are either our leaders see the problem and work together to resolve the problem orthe people threaten to kick them out of office forcing them to do something.

Sorry for rambling but its like the LGBT rights and instead ofrejoicing in an end to anotherform of discrimination, a billwas passed to reaffirm one groups rights were more important than another groups. This nas to end sometime.

Who had their rights trampled on as an after effect of pro LGBT laws?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#449 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Donald Trump is a racist white supremacist, a nazi sympathizer, a liar, a **** talking bully, a grifter, a criminal and a traitor.

Please keep in mind, most if not all that could've been said about him before he announced his candidacy and people still voted for him.

Correct. His base is full of miserable and hateful people though with no moral compass, so it's to be expected.

Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#450 » by Reflexx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:59 am

All of this hate about Trump being a racist and bigot, and then claims that everyone that voted for him is a racist and bigot is just pure ignorance.

Trump is definitely not a polished politician. He's also not a very politically correct person. But people throw out the worst accusations based on hunches and jumping to conclusions. Then they only look for things to validate their opinions and ignore things that go against their opinions.

It's not just plain ignorance. It's purposeful ignorance.

Much of the country has lost their damn minds.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#451 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 am

Ror1997 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not fair, injuries!

I think teams would still tank tho, if they can have a chance at getting the no.1 pick
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#452 » by Aussienet3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for your comments guy's. I honestly don't have an opinion either way. I was just interested/curious in getting some info from the american folks who live through this on a daily basis.
Cheers.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#453 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Reflexx wrote:All of this hate about Trump being a racist and bigot, and then claims that everyone that voted for him is a racist and bigot is just pure ignorance.

Trump is definitely not a polished politician. He's also not a very politically correct person. But people throw out the worst accusations based on hunches and jumping to conclusions. Then they only look for things to validate their opinions and ignore things that go against their opinions.

Hit dogs always hollar. Always.

Sorry champ, this "not all Trumpets are racist and Trump isn't one either" garbage you're on went out the window after Charlottesville. If the implication that Trump supporters are racist, Nazi sympathizing garbage upsets you, maybe you need some serious self reflection.

Maybe go check out Breitbart's comment section sometime and see exactly just how Trump's base behaves and then come back to me yelling "ignorance".

tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#454 » by tonman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
tonman wrote:

Not talking about the pro lgbt laws but the so called american freedom laws that allow people to discriminate due to their religious beliefs. You dont have to like others or their way of life but in this country you will live with them.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#455 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:50 pm

We need a hero in the white house, someone please remove Trump from tweeting...
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#456 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:00 pm

tonman wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
tonman wrote:
Its not the media. Its the two parties. Bothparties collluded with each otherto concentrate political power amongst themselves knowing full well that overtime, the pendulum will swing back to them. In the 90s wyue saw an attempt by a third party tochallenge and all of a sudden there were updates to the election process to minimize perot's impact. Now you see gerrymandering which all leads to attempts for a sjngle partyrule.

Not talking about the pro lgbt laws but the so called american freedom laws that allow people to discriminate due to their religious beliefs. You dont have to like others or their way of life but in this country you will live with them.

Oh I misread you. I agree 100%.

Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#457 » by Reflexx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Reflexx wrote:All of this hate about Trump being a racist and bigot, and then claims that everyone that voted for him is a racist and bigot is just pure ignorance.

Hit dogs always hollar. Always.

Sorry champ, this "not all Trumpets are racist and Trump isn't one either" garbage you're on went out the window after Charlottesville. If the implication that Trump supporters are racist, Nazi sympathizing garbage upsets you, maybe you need some serious self reflection.

Maybe go check out Breitbart's comment section sometime and see exactly just how Trump's base behaves and then come back to me yelling "ignorance".

I've done a lot of self reflection. And I still conclude much of the country has lost their damn minds.

You're under the impression that comments on a site like Breitbart somehow represent a large percentage of Americans. I think that conclusion is asinine. Breitbart is a cesspool that has attracted vermin from around the country and allowed them to all congregate in one place. But that is in no way representative of regular people.

In fact, to make such an assumption is the definition of prejudice and stereotyping.

As for it upsetting me... it doesn't. Well, not too much. I've grown numb to the stupidity that is permeating both sides. People are more interested in casting people they disagree with as the worst kinds of villains instead of using their brains and actually realizing that both sides are falling prey to being manipulated.

The worst part is that both sides agree that people are being manipulated into being hateful... but they always claim it's the "other side" that is being manipulated.

News flash. It's both.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#458 » by shakendfries » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 pm

If you identify as a Trump "supporter" you probably harbor racist sentiments.

If you identify as apathetic either way, you're probably hip to the fact that your 'feeling' is irrelevant. This country has a history of & continues to trample on the rights of the misfortunate, who are more often than not people of color. A poor white dude in Kentucky and a poor black dude in St Louis probably share similar experiences, but one probably won't be subject to an institution that disproportionately imprisons his people for nonviolent offenses at a rate that statistically resembles slavery, or gunned down in front of his pregnant wife by an officer who will get a paid leave and hired elsewhere.

And lastly, if you didn't buy my argument that the media deliberately attempts to shift public perception

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#459 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 am

You're trying to say that Donald Trump being President has not had an affect on the average American?

I don't remember neo-nazis openly marching on the street when Obama was President.

I don't remember refugees being banned from the country.

I don't remember climate change being denied as a fact.

I don't remember us on the verge of nuclear war with North Korea.

Your attitude of "both sides do the same thing" is completely idiotic and one of the reasons the county is completely **** right now.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#460 » by shakendfries » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:You're trying to say that Donald Trump being President has not had an affect on the average American?

I don't remember neo-nazis openly marching on the street when Obama was President.

I don't remember refugees being banned from the country.

I don't remember climate change being denied as a fact.

I don't remember us on the verge of nuclear war with North Korea.

Your attitude of "both sides do the same thing" is completely idiotic and one of the reasons the county is completely **** right now.

you're right. it's all my fault. if i had just checked someone else's name, there would be no racists hiding behind computers on 4chan, hosting racist frat parties on college campuses, spraypainting racist symbols, hanging nooses, and generally disturbing the public, refugees from war torn and terrorist ridden countries wouldn't face any scrutiny whatsoever, climate change deniers wouldn't exist, and Dennis Rodman would've saved us from North Korea :nonono:
ImageImage

Return to Brooklyn Nets