ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics thread 

Post#561 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:08 pm

13th Man wrote:Since I've been banned from the Current Affair board, I'll drop this here. Lindsay Shepperd is a hero imo. Universities across North America are becoming anything but open-minded institutions.

Forcing people not to do things that is offensive and forcing people to change to fit one's ideology is totally different.

Well, these are kids.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#562 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:08 pm

shakendfries wrote:In more faith in humanity restoring news,

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Black lives DO matter!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,572

Post#563 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:36 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
13th Man wrote:Since I've been banned from the Current Affair board, I'll drop this here. Lindsay Shepperd is a hero imo. Universities across North America are becoming anything but open-minded institutions.

Forcing people not to do things that is offensive and forcing people to change to fit one's ideology is totally different.

Well, these are kids.

Free speech advocates nowadays pretty much boil down to people who don't want to be held to account for when they say racist, bigoted, and misogynistic views in public. You're free to be offensive, just don't cry when society ostracizes you for being an ass hole or you lose your job over it.

if a university wants to create an environment where socially marginalized people, meaning minorities, women, and lgbters can feel comfortable while getting an education, that is their right to do so. White people who bitch about "safe spaces" being created only do so because they're not on the receiving end of the harrassment, vitriol and violence (gay, lesbian and transgender students are especially vulnerable to this). The only place this teacher's assistant is considered a hero is probably in the realm of Breitbart.com.

*shrugs* maybe right wing academia can start opening up their own universities so that they can be free to spout "open minded" rhetoric that stem from ideologies that view everyone who isn't a straight white male as "the other" without reproach.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#564 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Well, these are kids.

Free speech advocates nowadays pretty much boil down to people who don't want to be held to account for when they say racist, bigoted, and misogynistic views in public. You're free to be offensive, just don't cry when society ostracizes you for being an ass hole or you lose your job over it.

if a university wants to create an environment where socially marginalized people, meaning minorities, women, and lgbters can feel comfortable while getting an education, that is their right to do so. White people who bitch about "safe spaces" being created only do so because they're not on the receiving end of the harrassment, vitriol and violence (gay, lesbian and transgender students are especially vulnerable to this). The only place this teacher's assistant is considered a hero is probably in the realm of Breitbart.com.

*shrugs* maybe right wing academia can start opening up their own universities so that they can be free to spout "open minded" rhetoric that stem from ideologies that view everyone who isn't a straight white male as "the other" without reproach.

I agree; forcing people not to do/say things that is offensive is good. However, I'm not so sure about crossing the line and be forcing people to change what they normally do to cater for something that's pretty new. There is quite a big difference between advocating it and forcing it as well.

Equating someone who doesn't like to be forced to use new pronouns to someone who forced his ideology on others and had committed mass murder is......over the top to say the least. OTOH I'm pretty sure Nazi propaganda films do get played in classrooms in a neutral manner.
Thanks for the honesty.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#565 » by 13th Man » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:52 pm

First of all the TA did not even take a side when posting a debate involving Jordan Peterson which was shown on PBS. From her experience, all of the students were positively engaged in discussion without any complaints. This was about the controversial C-16 Bill which forces people to use certain language when referring to trans. Because of 1 anonymous student's complaint, the liberal-leaning supervisor decided to reprimand the TA for no valid reason except to push his own views and agenda. In fact, news just came out 3 hrs ago that there was never any formal complaint. This leads me to believe that the professor went out of his way to bully the TA.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7986445-no-formal-complaint-against-wilfrid-laurier-student-lindsay-shepherd-lawyer-confirms/

Everybody knows that the culture amongst university professors are mostly left leaning but this professor took it way too far and the chair of the university had to apologize on his behalf.

Lindsay Sheppard is a hero for advocating free speech and exposing current universities for practicing anything but. I knew Canada was getting bad but to the level of Berkeley, where they're even scared of speakers like Ben Shapiro. Students should have a right to their own thoughts, not be shielded against anything remotely offensive to one group of individuals.

These young students are being coddled way too much, wait until they get out into the real world and see how far their crying, bitching and playing the victim gets them.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#566 » by 13th Man » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:57 pm

Academia should be neutral, it's not about right or left wing. Unfortunately much of it is becoming left winged professors censoring any thought that oppose their views. Why would I want to send my kid to a brainwashing institution where they are not open to different ideologies?
13th Man
General Manager

Post#567 » by 13th Man » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:46 pm

Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#568 » by Mosdefinition » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 am

Nets won and Alabama didn't elect a child molester to quite ice cube today was a good day
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#569 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Kudos to the black voters in Alabama, especially black women who voted nearly in lockstep for Jones, who had to deal with multiple reports of voter suppression tactics, 90 minute wait times, police harassment and god knows what else to cast their vote. That effort needs to be repeated in every state come 2018 and 2020. get these ass holes out of office en masse.

I'm not going to comment on the appalling numbers that came from the white Alabama voting bloc that were overwhelmingly in support of a pedophile racist predator, but I did read that young white voters rebuked Moore, so that is a good sign going forward.

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#570 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Black women save our asses. But I bet some bullcaca white bro consulting firm will get the credit for Jones's win.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#571 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Black women save our asses. But I bet some bullcaca white bro consulting firm will get the credit for Jones's win.

You already have stories in mainstream media spinning it as "women overwhelmingly vote against Moore".

that's bull ****. White women in Alabama voted for Moore in droves just like the way white women on the national level voted for Trump! yet they have the audacity in the media to make it look like it was an overall effort. 96% of black women voted for Jones versus 63% of white women voting for Moore. How can anyone look at these figures and remotely lump black and white women together for a headline? call it like it is. I'm glad that women are being given a loud voice and are being heard...I hope white women in particular who aren't down with this garbage start calling these women who support sexual predators and racists to the mat because they are enabling these scumbags. Black women have and always will be on the right side of history. Everyone else needs to catch up....and for god's sake, that 6% of black men who voted for Moore need to be slapped. :crazy:

I'm glad the Democrats picked up a seat but these numbers are appalling to see. That being said, kudos to those Alabama liberals, independents, and conservatives who made up that bloc that voted based on common human decency.

ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#572 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm

"Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/trump-shithole-remarks-spur-international-anger-180112084723204.html

This guy's got a sheethole brain. Why would creating enemies all over the world be in the best interest of the people?

Or a ego stroke is more important than the country?
Thanks for the honesty.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#573 » by 13th Man » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:01 pm

I know that I'm in the minority on RealGM when it comes to my political views but I had to put this up. I haven't seen a one-sided drubbing like this ever, even toward the clowns at CNN.

This award winning journalist from the UK gets completely owned by Jordan Peterson in every way. She continually tries to put words into his mouth, refuses to listen to any of his points which seem to be above her level of intelligence anyways.

When she asked how his right to free speech is more important than someone’s right not to be offended, I wanted to puke. It’s mind blowing and scary that such a question can even be presented as serious but this seems to be the ideologies of the mainstream left these days, how sad.

This video has become viral and even the British and female population are embarrassed for her. Read the comments below the YouTube video, she is getting lambasted, I'm surprised that Channel 4 hasn't disabled the comments lol.

I am a big fan of Jordan Peterson btw, he is very intelligent and is able to express his views calmly and rationally rather than with pure emotion as many of those from the left spectrum. He has also been doing a good job of exposing the left leaning culture and biases of modern academia.

tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#574 » by tonman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 am

13th Man wrote:I know that I'm in the minority on RealGM when it comes to my political views but I had to put this up. I haven't seen a one-sided drubbing like this ever, even toward the clowns at CNN.

This award winning journalist from the UK gets completely owned by Jordan Peterson in every way. She continually tries to put words into his mouth, refuses to listen to any of his points which seem to be above her level of intelligence anyways.

When she asked how his right to free speech is more important than someone’s right not to be offended, I wanted to puke. It’s mind blowing and scary that such a question can even be presented as serious but this seems to be the ideologies of the mainstream left these days, how sad.

This video has become viral and even the British and female population are embarrassed for her. Read the comments below the YouTube video, she is getting lambasted, I'm surprised that Channel 4 hasn't disabled the comments lol.

I am a big fan of Jordan Peterson btw, he is very intelligent and is able to express his views calmly and rationally rather than with pure emotion as many of those from the left spectrum. He has also been doing a good job of exposing the left leaning culture and biases of modern academia.

Give me a break. Youre like the cigarette smoker who thinks that he should be able to smoke anywhere he wants. You forget you live in a society. Thats why theres laws rules and regulations. Except that there are certain folks wanting to do away with some laws rules and regulations. You mean theres no bias on the right? You think modern academia is pushing their biases? The conservative religious right has been doing that for centuries. Cant wait for moderates to smack both sides.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#575 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm all for free speech, especially when people air out their trash views and have to deal with the consequences of airing out those said views in public, such as this young woman from NJ: https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/sorority-sister-booted-for-posting-profanity-laced-racist-videos/

I support her right to free speech. It's beautiful to be able to speak freely and let the world know how garbage you really are. It's also beautiful, when people with such views become vilified, and they lose their jobs, get kicked out of school, and will probably be unemployable since every google search of their name will lead to their prospective employer finding out about that time when those chose to exercise their right to free speech to degrade other human beings.

So, I say to so called "free speech" advocates aka people who are more than likely racists/bigots and are upset that minorities, women, and lgbtqa people are tired of your **** and aren't taking it anymore, please feel free to not only speak your garbage views, but also record yourself doing so, or do it on social media where your account can get doxxed and someone can find out where you work at, so that they can share your behavior with your employer.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. Donald Trump being able to rattle off racist and bigoted nonsense with impunity has some folks thinking that they can do the same. A reckoning is coming and some folks won't like it, I'll say that much.

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#576 » by Roy Tarpley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 pm

13th Man wrote:I know that I'm in the minority on RealGM when it comes to my political views but I had to put this up. I haven't seen a one-sided drubbing like this ever, even toward the clowns at CNN.

This interviewer was TERRIBLE. She was absolutely terrible in comprehending what the interviewee was saying, and ended up putting words in his mouth or creating strawmen arguments. This had nothing to do with left vs. right (I'm very progressive).
13th Man
General Manager

Post#577 » by 13th Man » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:33 am

Cathy Newman is a leftist. Here's a great summary by British politician Paul Weston.

Here's Dilbert creator Scott Adams on how Cathy Newman went into hallucination because she couldn't refute nor accept Jordan Peterson's points.

13th Man
General Manager

Post#578 » by 13th Man » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 am

tonman wrote:Give me a break. Youre like the cigarette smoker who thinks that he should be able to smoke anywhere he wants. You forget you live in a society. Thats why theres laws rules and regulations. Except that there are certain folks wanting to do away with some laws rules and regulations. You mean theres no bias on the right? You think modern academia is pushing their biases? The conservative religious right has been doing that for centuries. Cant wait for moderates to smack both sides.

What the hell are you talking about? Freedom of speech is the founding principal in America, how does that compare to smoking? So funny that you talk about laws and regulations, yet forget about the first amendment.

Did you even watch the video of Peterson dismantling Cathy Newman or are you just going to spout nonsense?

Yes, modern academia is clearly pushing their views. Just scroll up and look at the story I posted on Sir Wilfred Laurier and Lindsay Sheppard? Ironically, it was Jordan Peterson's views that they were trying to censor because they didn't like it and compared him to Hitler. We've seen it at Berkeley and countless other universities and colleges trying their best to silence Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, Milo etc. There was a video of Jordan Peterson discussing this very topic with other Ivy League professors, it's clear as day that western academia is very left leaning.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#579 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:07 am

13th Man wrote:
tonman wrote:Give me a break. Youre like the cigarette smoker who thinks that he should be able to smoke anywhere he wants. You forget you live in a society. Thats why theres laws rules and regulations. Except that there are certain folks wanting to do away with some laws rules and regulations. You mean theres no bias on the right? You think modern academia is pushing their biases? The conservative religious right has been doing that for centuries. Cant wait for moderates to smack both sides.

What the hell are you talking about? Freedom of speech is the founding principal in America, how does that compare to smoking? So funny that you talk about laws and regulations, yet forget about the first amendment.

Did you even watch the video of Peterson dismantling Cathy Newman or are you just going to spout nonsense?

Yes, modern academia is clearly pushing their views. Just scroll up and look at the story I posted on Sir Wilfred Laurier and Lindsay Sheppard? Ironically, it was Jordan Peterson's views that they were trying to censor because they didn't like it and compared him to Hitler. We've seen it at Berkeley and countless other universities and colleges trying their best to silence Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, Milo etc. There was a video of Jordan Peterson discussing this very topic with other Ivy League professors, it's clear as day that western academia is very left leaning.

No one's views should be censored. The issue is that the right wing, especially the extreme right wing (alt-right aka neo nazis who try to act like they're not **** ing brown shirts in the 21st century) that you're going to bat for, get all up in their feelings when they get called to the mat over their trash beliefs. Ben Shapiro is a passive aggressive racist. he's trash. Ann Coulter, her body of work speaks for itself. she's a racist bitch piece of trash, who openly admits that she'll die alone (as she should, she's a horrible human being). Milo is literally a neo nazi bannonite (who for some odd reason or another loves to have sex with a black man, lol) who worked to stoke the flames of white nationalism in the west with his "dangerous f*ggot" tour. dude, **** all of these people.

listen, we're cool and all as basketball fans. i won't extend this outside of this thread for the sake of the forum, and i mean that. we can talk basketball all day. literally because of the Nets, and the good people on this forum, i won't take this discussion further.

but if you're trying to champion Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, and Milo Yiannopoulos, your political views are seriously **** ed and I consider you a threat to my existence as a person of color. are you a white supremacist? because your views clearly align with those who are.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#580 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/us/politics/trump-mueller-special-counsel-russia.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive.

The West Wing confrontation marks the first time Mr. Trump is known to have tried to fire the special counsel. Mr. Mueller learned about the episode in recent months as his investigators interviewed current and former senior White House officials in his inquiry into whether the president obstructed justice.

White House Counsel Don McGahn flipped on Donald Trump. lol. he must have read the history books. it's never worth defending a sitting POTUS who has committed crimes. when Nixon's sycophants tried that, they all ended up in prison. same thing will happen here. George Papadapolous, Michael Flynn Sr., and Don McGhan are traitors, but they aren't stupid. I have a feeling that Bannon and Sessions have also flipped. it's not worth it. take that lesser charge and let that ass hole go down in a burning wreck.

Return to Brooklyn Nets