A Tech Guy with a Jumper - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: The Mayor - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#461 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
steady wrote:I know this will be controversial. But I want to put this out there

I think the Nets might need Spencer more than Spencer needs the Nets.

i know we all love DLo and LeVert's potential, I do too. but that is really all it is right now. Potential. Even with Spencer's recent skid, his advanced analytics numbers for the year, if I remember right, are far ahead of both DLo and Caris, and are pretty respectable for any NBA player. Caris is basically a rookie given his shortened season last year. But DLo has had 2 1/2 years of pretty spectacularly high usage, yet is still making some of the same mistakes that got him traded

I really like all three players, and don't want to get into choosing favorites.

But I think Spencer may be getting overlooked a little bit recently.

I think we should trade him & go for broke. Keep the highest upside players & sink (and land a high pick in the process) or swim with them. I think Dinwiddie is overrated, because he so surpassed expectations & had a really hot stretch. As fans we tend to make snap judgement and get really attached to the underdog that surpasses a low bar & become disenchanted with better players that didn't meet a high expectation bar, event though the latter is the better player. I'd see what kind of pick we could get for him straight-up first, targeting Philly (#18), Washington (#20) and Indiana (#21). I'd also see what kind of player we could get combining him with a larger contract (Carroll, Lin or Crabbe). Minnesota may have to move Wiggins or Teague with the pending Butler & Towns extensions looming. Even we don't find those players to be long-term pieces, they are talent upgrades who could in turn have a higher trade value. For now, we need to adopt the "one red paperclip" philosophy.

This times 1000 million!

Listen, Dinwiddie is solid, he's not going to be Skil and nearly out of the league in a year, but the fit isn't here, the time isn't now and the money isn't going to be right. Unless of course Marks is dealing D-Lo for good value and rolling with Widdie at the point. That is fine too, but he jives too much with Russell and LeVert, especially the former.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#462 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:05 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We don't have the luxury to trade Spencer unless we know Lin will be back 100%. and even then, an entire season with LeVert/Russell in the backcourt starting will be a pretty big experiment. We need a reliable 3rd backcourt player in the rotation. Spencer despite his recent struggles is still racking up assists and takes care of the ball.

Until Russell stops getting himself benched in the last 4 minutes of games because he wants to throw a careless pass, you're damn right we need Spencer Dinwiddie.

We could always add Whitehead or a draftee.

We could, but are you confident in Whitehead running point full time in the rotation?

As the 3rd PG in the first year we finally have our own pick? Absolutely.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#463 » by steady » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Russell gets benched in part because Kenny is stubborn. I'm not saying there shouldn't be accountability, consequences and teaching moments, but some of the extended benching's are maddening. Like who cares if we win or lose??? Only us handful of fans in the Game Threads and only in the moment! And then we lose these games because Dinwiddie goes hero ball anyway more than half the time! Kenny is a lot like Lawrence Frank in a lot of ways and man oh man was that dude not the right man for the job of head coach!

Like you said their highest priority right now isn't winning - in fact developing Russell should be one of their highest priorities. And in fact it's exactly what KA is doing when he benches him

Russell's not getting benched because KA wants to win games.

IMO he's getting benched because it's the only way Kenny can get through to Russell about Russell needing to be better

Better at not throwing careless passes
Better at not hijacking possessions
Better at shot selection
Better at playing off and with others

These have stopped for me at least being acceptable mistakes that a super talented young player coming into League can be expected to make. This is his third year - this is the year we should have seen a leap, I know he's been injured so I am waiting to see more. But this year has been for me pretty disappointing vis a VI's Russell. Amd he needs to feel that urgency too.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#464 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm

steady wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Russell gets benched in part because Kenny is stubborn. I'm not saying there shouldn't be accountability, consequences and teaching moments, but some of the extended benching's are maddening. Like who cares if we win or lose??? Only us handful of fans in the Game Threads and only in the moment! And then we lose these games because Dinwiddie goes hero ball anyway more than half the time! Kenny is a lot like Lawrence Frank in a lot of ways and man oh man was that dude not the right man for the job of head coach!

Like you said their highest priority right now isn't winning - in fact developing Russell should be one of their highest priorities. And in fact it's exactly what KA is doing when he benches him

Russell's not getting benched because KA wants to win games.

IMO he's getting benched because it's the only way Kenny can get through to Russell about Russell needing to be better

Better at not throwing careless passes
Better at not hijacking possessions
Better at shot selection
Better at playing off and with others

These have stopped for me at least being acceptable mistakes that a super talented young player coming into League can be expected to make. This is his third year - this is the year we should have seen a leap, I know he's been injured so I am waiting to see more. But this year has been for me pretty disappointing vis a VI's Russell. Amd he needs to feel that urgency too.

But this technique doesn't work when you're subbing in Mr. Pound the Rock Hero Ball in his place and allowing him free reign all willy nilly with not consequences himself. Especially when Dinwiddie is a younger newer developing player himself.

It sets a really bad precedent and makes it obvious Kenny is playing favorites and is throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,910

Post#465 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Russell gets benched because he needs to stop being careless with the ball late in game. This has nothing to do with favorites. Russell will be here for the long haul, Dinwiddie may not. So Russell needs to learn and sometimes being pulled after consistently making the same critical errors is apart of the process

if Kenny was playing favorites Russell wouldn't be starting PG.

imo, he has been adapting and is running the offense a lot better as each game goes by. he just needs to stop the reckless passes.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#466 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Russell gets benched because he needs to stop being careless with the ball late in game. This has nothing to do with favorites. Russell will be here for the long haul, Dinwiddie may not. So Russell needs to learn and sometimes being pulled after consistently making the same critical errors is apart of the process

imo, he has been adapting and is running the offense a lot better as each game goes by. he just needs to stop the reckless passes.

But I can imagine the perception in the lockerroom at least for certain guys is he's playing favorites and it's probably starting to play unhealthy mind games with a guy like Russell. It's good to make players think and expand their thought process. And every individual responds differently and has to be handled uniquely, but the point is these guys are young and it gets to the point he probably has these guys minds in a blender as to why all these things are happening and in a lot of cases guys are eventually going to blame someone else instead of themselves, when you play all these games with them instead of handling things more straight forward.

It would be fine if he were benching him for Lin and things went smoothly afterwords. But he's benching him for Dinwiddie, whose often worst then Russell, especially in decision making and the such, whose also a young newer player and he gets to stay out there for quarters at a time, in crunch time and play through all his selfish, stupid, untrusting mistakes, but Russell gets yanked for one lazy pass or missed shot.

Stuff like that is going to start playing tricks on guys.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Mayor - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread  

Post#467 » by Paradise » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Russell gets benched because he needs to stop being careless with the ball late in game. This has nothing to do with favorites. Russell will be here for the long haul, Dinwiddie may not. So Russell needs to learn and sometimes being pulled after consistently making the same critical errors is apart of the process

But I can imagine the perception in the lockerroom at least for certain guys is he's playing favorites and it's probably starting to play unhealthy mind games with a guy like Russell. It's good to make players think and expand their thought process. And every individual responds differently and has to be handled uniquely, but the point is these guys are young and it gets to the point he probably has these guys minds in a blender as to why all these things are happening and in a lot of cases guys are eventually going to blame someone else instead of themselves, when you play all these games with them instead of handling things more straight forward.

It would be fine if he were benching him for Lin and things went smoothly afterwords. But he's benching him for Dinwiddie, whose often worst then Russell, especially in decision making and the such, whose also a young newer player and he gets to stay out there for quarters at a time, in crunch time and play through all his selfish, stupid, untrusting mistakes, but Russell gets yanked for one lazy pass or missed shot.

Yep.

- In LA, LeVert was a closer with Russell on the bench. The following week, Dinwiddie closes with Russell on the bench. Russell would’ve never lost his spot if it wasn’t for the knee injury so that can create a lack of confidence or trust. It’s not like we haven’t seen him close games like a boss. It’s the “what have you done for me lately” syndrome here.

I don’t think Russell is thinking that stuff but after loss after loss? It will creep into their heads. You don’t want guys mentally checking out before the season is done. That makes it incredibly hard to track someone’s off-season development as an organization if you end the season on a bad note (KP / Phil Jackson).

Kenny needs to be mindful and Sean Marks needs to hold him accountable as the coach and if Kenny feels this is too much of a logjam, he needs to hold Sean accountable for too much ‘talent acquisitions’ at the wrong positions.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#468 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I wonder how much of this is actually happening and how much of it is pure speculation.

the team is coming off of 2 in a row and now all of a sudden in one night, Kenny is about to lose the team?

I think it's ridiculous. Russell needs to be held accountable. i don't agree with being benched for an entire qtr, but if he gets yanked after continuously making the same mistake a message must be sent. Dinwiddie has taken care of the ball all season long. It's not that hard to understand.

Dinwiddie is the guy who lost his spot and yet somehow Kenny is playing favorites???

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#469 » by steady » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

I want KA to get in Russell's head. I want Russell to get a little worried. Because I am frustrated by how lackadaisical it seems Russell is sometimes about how his play is affecting the entire team, and the team's ability to win. This is not about Russell throwing a few careless passes; this is about Russell seemingly unable to respond and cut out the kind of play that is just about self- discipline and decision making.
These are simply bad decisions he makes because he lacks the discipline to avoid making the highlight reel pass, the hero shot, the all on his shoulders ice in the vein taking over the game at the end of games. This goes to whether Russell is admitting to himself that he needs to change his game, I am more worried that Russell is not hearing what he really needs to hear, than that he is going to get hurt feelings because KA is trying to draw a line in the sand for him

--

And IMO ... Russell's mistakes and how they effect momentum at the end of games >>> Spencer's mistakes

Edit - I removed some of my ranting. ;)
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#470 » by iamworthy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 pm

One Starter Every NBA Team Must Replace This Summer

Brooklyn Nets: Spencer Dinwiddie

This isn't a knock on Spencer Dinwiddie, who emerged from nowhere to become one of the Brooklyn Nets' most effective players in 2017-18. Instead, think of it as an endorsement of DeMarre Carroll, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Jarrett Allen, Allen Crabbe and D'Angelo Russell. Those five should be the Nets' first unit next year, which means Dinwiddie ought to wind up coming off the bench as a second-string spark.

As a point guard who can generate his own looks from deep and attack the basket, Dinwiddie (58 starts in 2017-18) could thrive against reserves. And though most remember his hot streak of game-winners and clutch play in January, he still only shot 38.7 percent from the field overall. If Russell is healthy, he should be the one running the show with the starters. Softer competition could help Dinwiddie boost his substandard scoring efficiency.

Brooklyn will have to reintegrate Jeremy Lin and find minutes for Caris LeVert, whose length, playmaking and versatility continue to make him a tantalizing prospect. That could mean Dinwiddie slips further down the depth chart than might seem fair for a player who contributed so much this season. Look at it from a team perspective, though: If Dinwiddie isn't starting anymore, it'll probably signal that the Nets are getting better.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770236-one-starter-every-nba-team-must-replace-this-summer
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#471 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 pm

iamworthy wrote:

This isn't a knock on Spencer Dinwiddie, who emerged from nowhere to become one of the Brooklyn Nets' most effective players in 2017-18. Instead, think of it as an endorsement of DeMarre Carroll, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Jarrett Allen, Allen Crabbe and D'Angelo Russell. Those five should be the Nets' first unit next year, which means Dinwiddie ought to wind up coming off the bench as a second-string spark.

As a point guard who can generate his own looks from deep and attack the basket, Dinwiddie (58 starts in 2017-18) could thrive against reserves. And though most remember his hot streak of game-winners and clutch play in January, he still only shot 38.7 percent from the field overall. If Russell is healthy, he should be the one running the show with the starters. Softer competition could help Dinwiddie boost his substandard scoring efficiency.

Brooklyn will have to reintegrate Jeremy Lin and find minutes for Caris LeVert, whose length, playmaking and versatility continue to make him a tantalizing prospect. That could mean Dinwiddie slips further down the depth chart than might seem fair for a player who contributed so much this season. Look at it from a team perspective, though: If Dinwiddie isn't starting anymore, it'll probably signal that the Nets are getting better.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770236-one-starter-every-nba-team-must-replace-this-summer

With Lin coming back from injury no spot should be handed to anyone. Let them -battle for playing time whoever plays the best gets more minutes.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#472 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 pm

kamaze wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

With Lin coming back from injury no spot should be handed to anyone. Let them -battle for playing time whoever plays the best gets more minutes.

Regardless, that blurb from this article is exactly why Dinwiddie should be dealt on draft night if he has real value, along with his looming unrestricted free agency status. Unless they ultimately do move Caris. Then you try and re-sign Dinwiddie on the spot to a fair contract and he slides into that 6xth man role and simultaneously continues to have positive future trade value.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#473 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
kamaze wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

Regardless, that blurb from this article is exactly why Dinwiddie should be dealt on draft night if he has real value, along with his looming unrestricted free agency status. Unless they ultimately do move Caris. Then you try and re-sign Dinwiddie on the spot to a fair contract and he slides into that 6xth man role and simultaneously continues to have positive future trade value.

The article suggests he should come off the bench not trade him or Caris. I don't get why you guys want to trade one of them so bad they develop them just to trade them for someone else to develop? Dinwiddie is one of the most improved players and Caris is solid off the bench.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#474 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:06 am

kamaze wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
kamaze wrote:

The article suggests he should come off the bench not trade him or Caris. I don't get why you guys want to trade one of them so bad they develop them just to trade them for someone else to develop? Dinwiddie is one of the most improved players and Caris is solid off the bench.

because if you dont trade them you need to pay them. and if you pay them and they never become more then fringe starters it can have a big long term impact
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#475 » by Curns13 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 am

kamaze wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Because in all likelihood, we don’t have our superstar on this roster. We still need to find him. Dinwiddie will might be the league’s best backup point guard, but you would trade him 10 times outta 10 to have a shot at that player. The Jazz got their franchise player with the 13th last season, if Dinwiddie and the 29th can get us ours, you trade him.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Mayor - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread  

Post#476 » by Paradise » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 am

Read on Twitter

Congratulations, GoatWiddie!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#477 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 am

Congrats... it is incredible...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#478 » by FlipFlopShot » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 am

Value
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#479 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 am

Congradz DVD!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#480 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Victor will win but the fact that Dinwiddie received recognition is great. he really shined this season.

Return to Brooklyn Nets