ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: 2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread 

Post#21 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:07 pm

If the Nets are in serious running for a top 3 pick in 2019, something has gone seriously awry imho.

If you believe Marks is going to do good in this draft.
If you believe Caris LeVert is going to be at worst a high level starter like Khris Middelton pre-injury.
If you believe at least one of our young deep prospects like Dinwiddie, Whitehead, McDaniels or Goodwin is going to be a legit high level rotation player.
If you believe he lands 1 impact FA either this off-season or next.

Then...

Chances are barring an injury to Caris or another at the time important player, we will be too good to have anything other than a long shot chance at a top 3 jump even if we control our own pick.

I'm not even saying we'll be really good by then, but even being on the come up and winning 30 something games puts you in that 8 to 14 range.

That's really what makes it so hard of a task for Marks to complete. He really needs to make power moves this draft and have some great scouting, vision and flatout luck. This is his summer to right the ship, or either we're treadmill for a long time barring a huge future FA signing, or Caris and all his other moves have sucked mightily and we're horrible again.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#22 » by shakendfries » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:50 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:If the Nets are in serious running for a top 3 pick in 2019, something has gone seriously awry imho.

If you believe Caris LeVert is going to be at worst a high level starter like Khris Middelton pre-injury.
If you believe at least one of our young deep prospects like Dinwiddie, Whitehead, McDaniels or Goodwin is going to be a legit high level rotation player.

Then...

Chances are barring an injury to Caris or another at the time important player, we will be too good to have anything other than a long shot chance at a top 3 jump even if we control our own pick.

I'm not even saying we'll be really good by then, but even being on the come up and winning 30 something games puts you in that 8 to 14 range.

That's really what makes it so hard of a task for Marks to complete. He really needs to make power moves this draft and have some great scouting, vision and flatout luck. This is his summer to right the ship, or either we're treadmill for a long time barring a huge future FA signing, or Caris and all his other moves have sucked mightily and we're horrible again.

It's easy to be optimistic now, but nothing is promised in the NBA. Injuries happen, players decline, and some get traded. The Bucks didn't expect Middleton to get injured and winded up with the 10th pick (Thon Maker).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by shakendfries » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I just don't see the point of getting gassed about high schoolers.

I stand by what I said about Bagley III but even still, I need to see him play versus 19, 20, 21 year olds before I can lose my mind over the idea of the Nets tanking to land someone based on what amounts to pick up game highlight tapes versus dudes whose voices just changed a week ago.

I think we need to stay the course, let the chips fall where they may.

Since you asked

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#24 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:11 pm

shakendfries wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:If the Nets are in serious running for a top 3 pick in 2019, something has gone seriously awry imho.

Then...

It's easy to be optimistic now, but nothing is promised in the NBA. Injuries happen, players decline, and some get traded. The Bucks didn't expect Middleton to get injured and winded up with the 10th pick (Thon Maker).

It's easy to be pessimistic too.

I agree with VC4P. We haven't even gone through the 2017 draft yet and we're already thinking of who we'd like to get as a top pick in the 2019 draft. So many things can happen between now and then.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:47 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

Then...

I agree with VC4P. We haven't even gone through the 2017 draft yet and we're already thinking of who we'd like to get as a top pick in the 2019 draft. So many things can happen between now and then.

we were dead last despite not tanking while other teams were. i dont know that "something has gone seriuosly awry" would need to happen for us to be bad the next 2 seasons. especially if lopez and booker get moved.

we dont even know what the roster will look like.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#26 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

we were dead last despite not tanking while other teams were. i dont know that "something has gone seriuosly awry" would need to happen for us to be bad the next 2 seasons. especially if lopez and booker get moved.

Yes, the point is that we don't know anything.

It's a safe bet to believe that we're not going to be championship contenders but unless you're betting on injuries happening, we shouldn't be in the exact same spot next year, let alone 2 years from now. I'd at least wait until the draft and free agency has occurred before reaching 2 years in advance to pine for the top player in the 2019 draft.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#27 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:It's easy to be pessimistic too.

Yes, the point is that we don't know anything.

It's a safe bet to believe that we're not going to be championship contenders but unless you're betting on injuries happening, we shouldn't be in the exact same spot next year, let alone 2 years from now. I'd at least wait until the draft and free agency has occurred before reaching 2 years in advance to pine for the top player in the 2019 draft.

And to add to this, I was specifically speaking on a top 3 pick.

If we were still just up and coming and some things were going right, some going wrong, that 10th pick is mighty realistic, but a top 3 pick, bot so much considering how historically unlikely it is to jump top 3 from that 8 to 14 range.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#28 » by Paradise » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Bagley III vs BoI BoI

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,902

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 pm

jesus, what's Bol's wing span, 8 feet across???
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by shakendfries » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 am

ImageImage

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by shakendfries » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:02 pm

ImageImage

Paradise

Post#32 » by Paradise » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:40 pm

shakendfries wrote:

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,902

Post#33 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 6, 2017 10:07 pm

Realistically, we're not going to have a chance at any of these players in 2019.

The east is complete garbage, could be downright unwatchable if Lebron bolts for the Lakers. We're going to keep improving on this roster with these young guns. We may not end up with a lottery pick at all if things shake up the right way.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Post#34 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Realistically, we're not going to have a chance at any of these players in 2019.

The east is complete garbage, could be downright unwatchable if Lebron bolts for the Lakers. We're going to keep improving on this roster with these young guns. We may not end up with a lottery pick at all if things shake up the right way.

I agree.

Hard to see us being that bad in 2 years.

Unless LeVert and Russell both flame out. Then I think its possible.

But lets not forget that anything can happen in the lottery. We could be the 7th worst team and end up with the #1 pick.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by shakendfries » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter

ImageImage

LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#36 » by LKIRNets » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:37 pm

With one of our 2nd round draft picks

Chris Silva
South Carolina
Junior
PF
6'9

- kid is a talent, a menace on D
- good hands in the post
- can finish wit either hand
- transition no issue
- rebounding footwork >>>>
- jumper is in progress
- foul trouble is his issue

But definitely someone to keep your eyes on. Think of him as Trevor Booker wit length ceiling. Definitely better than what I saw out of DJ Wilson last year.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,654

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Right now 2019 looks like a really weak draft. In my opinion it has its 3 big names in Zion/Barrett/Reddish then it takes a pretty steep drop to a guy like Langford. Its definitely a wing/forward heavy draft, just hard to really get too excited about the depth so far in this class. Obviously a lot depends on who returns to school from this upcoming class, but right now the current high school class is pretty weak.

One thing with Zion that you wont be able to pickup from the highlight videos, the dude is a very very smart offensive player. Underrated passer and never takes bad shots, I really like his potential offensively if he can ever get that jumper going. If you can end up with a top 3 pick I think its a class worth getting excited about, but I dont see you guys being bad enough to get a top 3 pick.
LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#38 » by LKIRNets » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

shouldn't we focus on guys we can obtain?
Paradise

Post#39 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:08 am

LKIRNets wrote:shouldn't we focus on guys we can obtain?

We were mocked to land Cam Reddish in 2019 right before ESPN started laying folks off.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t discuss it now because we aren’t going to pass on trading up regardless of where our team is in 2019.

The next Paul George

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#40 » by 13th Man » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 am

RJ Barrett is my pick, the kid is just a very smart high IQ player. His athleticism is good, not spectacular but he just has that IT factor that Andrew Wiggins does not. He led the Canadian U19 to a world championship last year as a 17 year old. I am biased as I played against his dad Rowan in a provincial tournament when we were in High School. His dad was a great athlete back in the day but didn't have the basketball upbringing that RJ is privileged to, playing HS ball in the States. Rowan Sr. had the athleticism but not quite the skillset or playing experience while Rowan Jr. is the complete package. I can't wait to see him at Duke with Reddish next year.

Zion is a freak athlete but I wouldn't trust him in maintaining weight in the coming years, looks like a guy who could widen out pretty quickly, diminishing his athletic prowness. He's steamrolling HS kids right now but I can see him hitting a plateau in college. Who knows though, haven't seen a guy his size that athletic before.

Speaking of a player who may be attainable, how about Nassir Little. This kid is ranked 10th? Looks to me like he outplayed RJ Barrett in this one game! He is raw but has the physical attributes and knows how to get to the rim in a hurry.

Return to Brooklyn Nets