ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: 2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread 

Post#161 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 am

FrenchNBAFan wrote:I was one of these guys who said we shouldn't tank in order to attract free agent like Butler, Kahwi ... But the last days I have been interested in this draft and my opinion has changed. There are some talents at the position we need ( SG/SF ) we need to be in the top 5 to be SURE to have RJ Barrett / Doumbouya / Williamson / Nassir Little / Reddish. One of them.
It's so risky to lost the opportunity to have a talent like one of them for 20% chance to have a superstar at free agency

you dont have to choose. im sure a star like Kawhi or butler would rather play with a 20 win team that adds zion williamson vs a 38 win team that loses 75% of its rotation players.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#162 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:11 am

I think Sacramento isn't bad enough on paper to land at #1 but you never know. Atlanta's roster looks horrible.

We need these two things to fall in our favor:

a) we need to land within the top 10. top 8 is most desirable.

b) Denver must miss the playoffs...which isn't a sure bet on either. they are an excellent ball club with talent all across the board. But the West is a slaughter house with The Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Jazz, Spurs, Lakers, and Pelicans all featuring top tier talent. The last playoff spot comes down to Denver and Portland. If Dame and CJ miss the playoffs I'll be stunned.

The above two things happening mean that we will have two lottery picks.

What I'm going to say is going to hurt, but lets just say that Caris LeVert has a breakout season in year 3. Seems probable with how he has trended so far.

You attach two lottery picks to 3rd year LeVert I think we can snake our way up to get one of those Duke kids.

I'd really prefer not to use both picks to move up if we attach LeVert to the deal but Barrett and Williamson look like flat out studs.

If we're ever going to get our cornerstone to build this team for real, its within the next 12 months.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#163 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:19 am

Prokorov wrote:
FrenchNBAFan wrote:I was one of these guys who said we shouldn't tank in order to attract free agent like Butler, Kahwi ... But the last days I have been interested in this draft and my opinion has changed. There are some talents at the position we need ( SG/SF ) we need to be in the top 5 to be SURE to have RJ Barrett / Doumbouya / Williamson / Nassir Little / Reddish. One of them.
It's so risky to lost the opportunity to have a talent like one of them for 20% chance to have a superstar at free agency

you dont have to choose. im sure a star like Kawhi or butler would rather play with a 20 win team that adds zion williamson vs a 38 win team that loses 75% of its rotation players.

The timing of all of this is very bad. This is actually the season when we need to be seriously bad but looking at our roster and tracking our young group of players it's pretty feasible that we see upticks across the board from Russell, LeVert, RHJ, Allen and Dinwiddie. I don't think this is a bottom five roster, not with this mix of young guys/vets and a coach that makes guys run through walls for him.

Sean Marks has to either decide to stay the course, or trade pieces attached to expiring salary and draft assets to make the team worse in the interim so that we have an even bigger war chest come draft time.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#164 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The timing of all of this is very bad. This is actually the season when we need to be seriously bad but looking at our roster and tracking our young group of players it's pretty feasible that we see upticks across the board from Russell, LeVert, RHJ, Allen and Dinwiddie. I don't think this is a bottom five roster, not with this mix of young guys/vets and a coach that makes guys run through walls for him.

Sean Marks has to either decide to stay the course, or trade pieces attached to expiring salary and draft assets to make the team worse in the interim so that we have an even bigger war chest come draft time.

Barring a big russell leap, which is possible, i do think this is a botton 5-6 roster.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#165 » by shakendfries » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

There is no way we’re winning 35+ games this season and stars don’t care about playing with rookies

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#166 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Barring a big russell leap, which is possible, i do think this is a botton 5-6 roster.

That's fine with me since that means our pick is that much better :)

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#167 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm

shakendfries wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

There is no way we’re winning 35+ games this season and stars don’t care about playing with rookies

I agree, stars want to play with established stars not rookies.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#168 » by shakendfries » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jonathan Giovony's 2019 Mock

Spoiler:
> Pick Player Team POS Class HT Age
> 1. PHI (via SAC) R.J. Barrett Duke SG/SF Fr. 6-7 18.2
> 2. ATL Nassir Little North Carolina SF Fr. 6-6 18.5
> 3. PHX Zion Williamson Duke PF Fr. 6-6 18.1
> 4. CHI Sekou Doumbouya Limoges SF/PF Intl. 6-9 17.6
> 5. NYK Cameron Reddish Duke SF Fr. 6-9 18.9
> 6. CLE Romeo Langford Indiana SG/SF Fr. 6-7 18.8
> 7. ATL (via DAL) Quentin Grimes Kansas SG Fr. 6-6 18.3
> 8. MEM Keldon Johnson Kentucky SG/SF Fr. 6-7 18.8
> 9. ORL Darius Garland Vanderbilt PG Fr. 6-3 18.5
> 10. LAC Bol Bol Oregon C Fr. 7-2 18.7
> 11. BKN Daniel Gafford Arkansas C So. 6-10 19.9
> 12. CHA De'Andre Hunter Virginia PF So. 6-8 20.7
> 13. SAS Jontay Porter Missouri C So. 6-11 18.7
> 14. DET Rui Hachimura Gonzaga PF Jr. 6-9 20.5
> 15. LAL Luka Samanic Olimpja Ljubljana PF Intl. 6-11 18.6
> 16. POR Jalen Smith Maryland PF Fr. 6-10 18.4
> 17. WAS Herb Jones Alabama SF So. 6-8 19.8
> 18. NOP Charles Bassey Western Kentucky C Fr 6-11 17.8
> 19. MIA Ja Morant Murray St PG So. 6-3 19.0
> 20. MIL Eric Paschall Villanova PF Sr. 6-8 21.8
> 21. IND P.J. Washington Kentucky PF So. 6-8 20.0
> 22. OKC Jarrett Culver Texas Tech SG So. 6-5 19.5
> 23. BOS (via PHI) Nickeil Alexander-Walker Virginia Tech PG/SG So. 6-6 19.9
> 24. MIN Jalen McDaniels San Diego St PF So. 6-9 20.5
> 25. BKN (via DEN) Jaylen Hoard Wake Forest SF/PF Fr. 6-9 19.4
> 26. HOU Darius Bazley N/A PF Fr. 6-10 18.2
> 27. BOS Shamorie Ponds St. John's PG Jr. 6-1 20.1
> 28. UTA Kris Wilkes UCLA SF/PF So. 6-8 19.9
> 29. SAS (via TOR) Tyus Battle Syracuse SF Jr. 6-6 20.9
> 30. GSW Ty Jerome Virginia SG Jr. 6-5 21.1
> 31. PHI (via SAC) Lindell Wigginton Iowa St PG So. 6-2 20.4
> 32. ATL Charles Matthews Michigan SF Jr. 6-6 21.7
> 33. PHX Jarrey Foster SMU SG Sr. 6-6 21.7
> 34. PHI (via CHI) Aric Holman Mississippi St. PF Sr. 6-10 21.1
> 35. BKN (via NYK) Oshae Brissett Syracuse PF So. 6-8 20.1
> 36. ORL (via CLE) Isaiah Roby Nebraska SF/PF Jr. 6-8 20.5
> 37. DAL Carsen Edwards Purdue PG Jr. 6-1 20.4
> 38. PHI (via SAC) Matisse Thybulle Washington SF Sr. 6-6 21.4
> 39. SAC (via ORL) Marko Simonovic Olimpja Ljubljana PF/C Intl. 6-11 18.8
> 40. LAC Admiral Schofield Tennessee SF/PF Sr. 6-5 21.4
> 41. ORL (via BKN) Kerwin Roach Texas PG/SG Sr. 6-3 21.8
> 42. ATL (via CHA) John Petty Alabama SG So. 6-6 19.7
> 43. SAS Sagaba Konate West Virginia C Jr. 6-8 20.9
> 44. DET Ky Bowman Boston College PG/SG Jr. 6-1 21.2
> 45. SAC (via LAL) Brian Bowen Sydney Kings SF Intl. 6-7 19.9
> 46. LAC (via POR) Xavier Sneed Kansas St SG Jr. 6-5 20.6
> 47. DEN (via WAS) James Palmer Nebraska SF Sr. 6-6 22.0
> 48. NOP Markis McDuffie Wichita St SF Sr. 6-8 20.9
> 49. MIN (via MIA) Adam Mokoka Mega Bemax SG Intl. 6-5 20.1
> 50. SAC (via MIL) Goga Bitadze Mega Bemax C Intl. 6-11 19.1
> 51. IND Killian Tillie Gonzaga PF/C Jr. 6-10 20.3
> 52. CHA (via OKC) Jalen Hudson Florida SG Sr. 6-5 22.2
> 53. PHI Udoka Azubuike Kansas C Jr. 7-0 18.9
> 54. ATL (via MIN) Cameron Johnson North Carolina SF Sr. 6-7 22.4
> 55. CHA (via DEN) Terence Davis Mississippi SG Sr. 6-4 21.2
> 56. NYK (via HOU) D'Marcus Simonds Georgia St PG/SG Jr. 6-3 20.8
> 57. MEM (via BOS) Bruno Fernando Maryland C So. 6-10 20.0
> 58. UTA Tadas Sedekerskis Baskonia SF/PF Intl. 6-10 20.6
> 59. TOR Gabriel Galvanini Bauru SF/PF Intl. 6-8 19.9
> 60. GSW Shakur Juiston UNLV PF SR. 6-7 21.4

Context
Spoiler:
After a busy summer on the scouting trail, it's time to refresh our 2019 mock draft.

I attended the FIBA U17 World Championship and FIBA Europe U18 Championships, as well as the Nike Basketball Academy, to watch as many NBA prospects as possible. Mike Schmitz was at the FIBA U20 European Championship and U16 European Championship, as well as the Steph Curry Camp, the CP3 Camp and Basketball Without Borders Europe events.

Between the two of us, we covered quite a bit of ground and saw thousands of players, some of whom will be picked in 2019, 2020 and beyond.

Here's what has changed and what we've learned since our most recent update in June:

Biggest risers, fallers and developments

• R.J. Barrett played in two games with the Canadian senior national team as part of their FIBA World Cup qualifiers, scoring 27 points on 18 shots in 45 minutes. He started alongside four NBA players -- Cory Joseph, Dillon Brooks, Kelly Olynyk and Dwight Powell -- and did not look out of place one bit.

•While the competition against the Virgin Islands and Dominican Republic left something to be desired, it is still extremely rare to see a player just weeks removed from his 18th birthday step onto the floor with professionals in their 20s and 30s at the FIBA level and more than hold his own.

•Barrett's ability to play a more confined role alongside older and more established NBA players -- passing ahead unselfishly, cutting intelligently off the ball and playing strong defense -- was even more evident in this setting than it was at the high school level at times. He has such an alpha dog mentality and has basically never not been the best player on the court in any setting we've seen, making for an interesting contrast at the senior level. Still, his scoring instincts, aggressiveness in the open court and willingness to embrace contact driving down the lane consistently shined through.

•Barrett's outside shot remains a point of interest, as he's a career 31 percent 3-point shooter and went 0-6 from beyond the arc in two games. You could clearly tell that he has put significant time into this part of his game, and even though he shot just 6-of-21 from 3 in Duke's three exhibition games in Canada, his stroke is looking much more compact these days, and his willingness to hoist up outside shots surely seems to be correlated with his improved ability to knock them down.

•Barrett hasn't done anything to detract from the notion that he is the No. 1 prospect in the 2019 draft class since being anointed as such in the fall of 2017. There is still a lot of time for contenders to emerge, and that will start early. Barrett and Duke's matchup with Kentucky on Nov. 6 in Indianapolis at the State Farm Champions Classic has to be considered one of the most intriguing preseason matchups we've had in some time.

• Barrett's teammate, Zion Williamson, drew the bulk of the headlines from Duke's exhibition tour, despite the fact that Barrett led the team in scoring at 31 points per game. That is to be expected considering the viral nature of Williamson's game, which lends itself to incredible highlights due to his freakish combination of power and explosiveness, especially considering that he stands 6-foot-7 and is listed at 285 pounds.

•But Williamson is more than a dunker, as he demonstrated on a number of occasions in Canada, with some extremely impressive drives, passes and defensive possessions demonstrating body control, feel and skill that are just as rare from a player with his dimensions as the ridiculous dunks. He moves up from No. 7 to No. 3 in this mock.

•We will be talking a lot more about Williamson as the season moves on, but it's safe to say that he will be one of the most hotly debated prospects in this class. Plenty of NBA executives have told us that they are far from sold on him, and it will take a lot more than pulverizing overmatched Canadian university competition to convince them, though his 3-9 shooting from deep did raise some eyebrows, given that he has been mostly considered a non-shooter to this point.

•Thankfully, Duke has an intriguing nonconference schedule that will put Williamson front and center against some strong competition, starting with Kentucky and continuing with the Maui Invitational on Nov. 19.

• Kentucky also went abroad for a series of games in the Bahamas in which they matched up with Serbian pro team Mega Bemax, which has had nine players drafted in the past four years. The Adriatic League team looked overmatched physically from the opening tip and were essentially steamrollered by John Calipari's squad, who not only played their trademark outstanding defense but also appear to have some outside shooting on their roster, which is a welcome change from years past.

•Freshman wing Keldon Johnson set the tone early for Kentucky with his hustle and tenacity defensively, fighting over screens, getting in a deep stance and putting tremendous pride in shutting down his matchup. Offensively, he made a couple of 3-pointers, caught a couple of lobs in the open court and was a handful getting downhill off dribble handoffs. Johnson looked every bit the lottery pick he was billed as coming in and appears to be on the verge of a breakout season.

•While there was a lot of encouraging things to take away from the performances of all of Kentucky's prospects in the Bahamas -- particularly Nick Richards, Tyler Herro, Quade Green and Ashton Hagans -- the one player on the roster who looks likely to emerge is sophomore P.J. Washington, who withdrew from last year's draft. Washington looks to be in much better shape and was competing with higher intensity than we saw from him for most of last season. He had some very impressive moments rotating for blocks inside and outside the arc with excellent timing. If he can indeed continue to protect the rim, switch out onto guards on pick-and-rolls and hold his own on the defensive glass, he'll make a strong case for himself as a versatile, small-ball big man. The fact that he was able to step out and make a corner 3-pointer was very encouraging, but the huge quantity of free throws he bricked in this contest showed that his stroke likely needs a lot of work.

• Eric Paschall's explosion at the Nike Basketball Academy earlier this month earned him a boost to the No. 20 spot in this mock draft, and it showed that defending champions Villanova will be a team to watch, despite losing four players to the draft. We chronicled his performance in detail here.

• Ja Morant broke out in a major way at Chris Paul's Elite Guard Camp in Winston-Salem and earned himself a spot at No. 19 in this mock. Murray State will be followed closely by NBA scouts this winter, particularly in a Nov. 26 matchup at Alabama, which will likely be crowded with executives. Mike Schmitz chronicled Morant's performance here.

• Ty Jerome also helped himself at the CP3 camp, carving out the last spot in the first round of this mock draft in turn. Virginia was already home to one projected first-rounder in De'Andre Hunter, making Virginia an intriguing team for NBA scouts to follow in the ACC.

Other projected first-rounders we covered this summer:

•Luka Samanic's up-and-down showing at the U18 European Championship

•Projected first-rounders Bol Bol, Daniel Gafford, De'Andre Hunter, Rui Hachimura, Jaylen Hoard, Darius Bazley and others at the Nike Basketball Academy
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#169 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 4, 2018 6:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I agree, stars want to play with established stars not rookies.

depends on the rookie. you dont think anyone would want to play with simmons/mitchell/tatum for instance?

you know who stars defintely DONT want to play with, the bench guys from a 35-40 win team.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#170 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 4, 2018 7:49 pm

^ i agree.

if we were to draft a prospect on that level I wouldn't rule it out. Simmons/Mitchell/Tatum are all star level talent already at an early age.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#171 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm still keeping one eye dead on Rui Hachimura. If he makes another jump this season he is the quintessential franchise player forward prospect who winds up in that 7th to maybe 15th overall draft range.

Probably never to be a Kawhi level guy, but certainly has prime Paul George level stuff as a ceiling, who at this point has become ridiculously underrated because his PER doesn't jump off the page, an early playoff exit and hype on some other also incredibly talented guys in his tier.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#172 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:37 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm still keeping one eye dead on Rui Hachimura. If he makes another jump this season he is the quintessential franchise player forward prospect who winds up in that 7th to maybe 15th overall draft range.

Probably never to be a Kawhi level guy, but certainly has prime Paul George level stuff as a ceiling, who at this point has become ridiculously underrated because his PER doesn't jump off the page, an early playoff exit and hype on some other also incredibly talented guys in his tier.

Yeah, outside of the Duke boys, Hachimura is also on my wish list. Nice combination of height/length athleticism.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#173 » by Claud » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm still keeping one eye dead on Rui Hachimura. If he makes another jump this season he is the quintessential franchise player forward prospect who winds up in that 7th to maybe 15th overall draft range.

Baby Ron Artest.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#174 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Claud wrote:

Baby Ron Artest.

Interesting comparison minus the crazy.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#175 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah, outside of the Duke boys, Hachimura is also on my wish list. Nice combination of height/length athleticism.

He has some serious tools but he's a little behind the curve for his age, but man he could be really good.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#176 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 am

Keldon Johnson is another kid to keep an eye on.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#177 » by shakendfries » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:33 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImage

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#178 » by kamaze » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

He was a prospect I wanted the Nets to get last year that family is injury plagued. Bri Porter, Jontay and Michael's sister, retired from basketball before last season at Missouri after suffering her fifth ACL tear. Cierra, another sister who played at Missouri, medically retired in June -- with one year of eligibility left -- because of ongoing knee problems.

He decided to return to the Tigers despite being projected as a late-first-round pick.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#179 » by twosevenstreet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm praying we get Rui and Tillie
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by shakendfries » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:25 pm

ImageImage

Return to Brooklyn Nets