ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Nets Salary Cap Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets offseason Salary Cap Info [Updated 12/13/2017] 

Post#121 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:There is no way we extend Russell ahead of schedule, and RHJ only gets extended if he's willing to extend for great value. Their cap holds (Qualifying Offer) will be very low compared to their actual salaries. That has to be used to our advantage in Free agency that year. If Russell develops as expected, we have to be prepared to pay him a max, whether on a matched offer or directly from us. It's also way too early to tell who will have cap space in 2019, but I'm fine with daring a team to overpay for RHJ and being faced with the decision to match. He's a nice player. Maybe he becomes peak Carroll if he develops more consistent range. I don't see any team ridiculously overpaying him though.

I dont know... that potentially puts us in a situation where we overpay for Russell without him having a breakout (paying max money on potential) and having to either walk away from RHJ or overpay him...

which id be fine with if it mean max money to spend this offseason. but really it only means 14 million this offeason to spend.

What are we really getting for 14 million... or better put what are we getting with 14 million that we could not get for the MLE (8-10 million).
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#122 » by MGrand15 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I was just wondering what worst case scenario is because I don't think ownership is ready to even think of paying luxury tax on this team again. No matter how much potential we have.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#123 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:29 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I was just wondering what worst case scenario is because I don't think ownership is ready to even think of paying luxury tax on this team again. No matter how much potential we have.

Worst case "from a we will be in the tax standpoint" would be something like:

-Lin opts in
-We sign someone to a 14 million per year deal with our cap space
-we use the MLE to sign someone to 10M per year
-We extend russell and RHJ to a max deal

that would put us well over the tax for 19-20

Similarly

-lin opts in
-5/15 for stauskus
-6/18 for okafor
-we bring back harris
-we extend russell and rhj to max deals

again well in the tax in 19-20

** another consideration not mentioned in the last 2 pages. in addition to RHJ/Dlo needing to be extended or signed by 2019, dinwiddie will also be a free agent in 2019 and he is sure to get a raise
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#124 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:I dont know... that potentially puts us in a situation where we overpay for Russell without him having a breakout (paying max money on potential) and having to either walk away from RHJ or overpay him...

which id be fine with if it mean max money to spend this offseason. but really it only means 14 million this offeason to spend.

What are we really getting for 14 million... or better put what are we getting with 14 million that we could not get for the MLE (8-10 million).

Guys coming off their rookie deals are almost always paid on their potential to break out/continue to improve rather than what they've already done. It's typically only the truly elite that pay max-level dividends while on their rookie deals. There is also the chance that RFA scares teams away, and guys end up taking your deal or the Qualifying Offer (See KCP, Noel, etc.).

In 2019, including DWill's Dead money, Crabbe picking up his option & no Mozgov buy-out, there is $47.4mil on the books for Mozgov-Crabbe-Allen-LeVert-Whitehead. Cap Holds for DLo+RHJ+Dinwiddie+Zeller = $16.05mil. Add a couple of draft picks and roster holds at about $7mil. At that point, we're around $70mil, assuming no major signings or early extensions. The only one I can see signing early would be Dinwiddie, who would be a UFA in 2019, if we have leftover cap space next year.

Things could change, but some obvious variables are trades, Okafor or Stauskas re-signing, and Mozgov and/or Crabbe buy-outs. Crabbe in particular could be amenable to a steeply discounted buy-out if he feels he can be made whole in Free Agency with a longer deal. He could also opt out & resign for more years at less money.

There will probably be enough space for at least one max deal in the 2019 offseason, even if it means being a tax paying team for a year before Crabbe & Mozgov come off the books. That cap space can be accelerated a year via buy-outs & stretches of Mozgov, Carroll or Lin if needed, but I don't see that happening if we know we can land a specific FA or make a big trade.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#125 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jan 9, 2018 5:12 pm

I may be changing my philosophy, but the more I read Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, the more I get confused.

1) Per Coon's FAQ, the cap holds on RHJ & DLO would be the greater of the Qualifying offer or 250% of their previous salary. If that's the case, the numbers listed under cap holds for 2019 for RHJ & DLo are way off. Banking on space for at least 1 max in 2019 may be foolish. If the 250% of previous salary is accurate, that means DLo's cap hold would be about $17.6mil & RHJ's would be about $6.2mil. That's significantly different than the combined $12.8mil on Spotrac.
2) Dinwiddie's contract can't be renegotiated, but can be extended with a signing bonus next year. However, the signing bonus gets prorated in proportion to the guaranteed money over the remainder of the existing & extended contract. That means you can't do a Covington style raise to lower future salaries/cap hit. The best, but riskiest, option from a cap space perspective would be to let him hit Free Agency & resign him late with Bird Rights, since his cap hold would be small.

The higher 2019 cap holds complicate things. Unless we thing Crabbe will opt out, money will be tighter than expected. We could wait until 2020, when many of the crazy 2016 deals are off the books league-wide, or Trader Sean could actively try to dump salary to free up some cap space for this offseason, since there will be a lot less competition with respect to teams with cap space.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#126 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm thinking there's a good chance that Lin gets bought out this offseason. He'll get little on the open market, but assuming he'd be ready to play before the start of the season, I could see a team offering him a minimum (about $2.1mil) or a bi-annual exception (about $3.3mil) deal. Barring major changes, Lin will at best be the 5th guard behind DLo, LeVert, Diniwiddie & Crabbe. It'll be tough for him to rehab his future earning potential from that spot. If he's willing to take a roughly $9mil buyout, he could regain most/all of that on a team where he may have a bigger role. If we stretch that buyout, we'd free up an additional $9.5mil in cap space this offseason, when there will be much less league-wide cap space.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#127 » by bws94 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I'm thinking there's a good chance that Lin gets bought out this offseason. He'll get little on the open market, but assuming he'd be ready to play before the start of the season, I could see a team offering him a minimum (about $2.1mil) or a bi-annual exception (about $3.3mil) deal. Barring major changes, Lin will at best be the 5th guard behind DLo, LeVert, Diniwiddie & Crabbe. It'll be tough for him to rehab his future earning potential from that spot. If he's willing to take a roughly $9mil buyout, he could regain most/all of that on a team where he may have a bigger role. If we stretch that buyout, we'd free up an additional $9.5mil in cap space this offseason, when there will be much less league-wide cap space.

I think look at the comments KA made about Lin recently and he doesn't get bought out. KA talks about Marks about such thing and I think contributes on Marks decisions. You are way undervaluing Lin and I say this as a long-time observer of basketball, long before Lin was even born.

Kenny's comments:

Per Brian Lewis at New York Post, 02-23-2018.

"Atkinson admitted how much the Nets have missed Jeremy Lin’s competitiveness, but said the injured guard has kept his morale up."

“Incredible. Shocked at how positive he’s been. Jeremy’s mindset is I’m going to come back better than ever. That’s just how he thinks. So he’s been extremely positive,” Atkinson said. “I was worried about that, being away that long. I’m sure he gets down sometimes, but when he’s been around us he’s been fantastic. “We miss him obviously. We miss the competitor that he is, we miss the defender that he is. And obviously he plays the style of ball that we want to play. We really miss him.”

That's no 5th guard coach is describing. Not saying he is going to or should start. But he can still play a huge role on the team and maybe that's what KA is thinking, however it works out.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#128 » by Roy Tarpley » Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:04 am

Eh. I've been following basketball since the early 80s too and the only lesson is that it's all a business. Obviously, Lin and KA have a bond but nothing would surprise me.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#129 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:01 pm

bws94 wrote:I think look at the comments KA made about Lin recently and he doesn't get bought out. KA talks about Marks about such thing and I think contributes on Marks decisions. You are way undervaluing Lin and I say this as a long-time observer of basketball, long before Lin was even born.

We know they liked Lin. they also loved trevor booker. and they moved booker without hesitation. and booker had more oncourt impact/was less of a salary cap issue.

Whether Lin is being undervalue or not, he simply doesnt fit like he did when we first signed him. as Netsfan mentioned, he is at best our 5th gaurd right now. thats if no one is added and guys like harris/stauskus arent brought back and we dont do something were we add someone via draft/trade/FA

Kenny's comments:

Per Brian Lewis at New York Post, 02-23-2018.

"Atkinson admitted how much the Nets have missed Jeremy Lin’s competitiveness, but said the injured guard has kept his morale up."

Again you can find a dozen similar quotes from Kenny on Trevor Booker prior to him being traded. And you can find a bunch more on booker along the lines of "we loved what trevor gave us but this is a business and we need to make moves for the future" type quote after he was traded. and you would see the same for lin.

smart teams dont make moves based on emotion. they do it based on whats smart for the teams future

That's no 5th guard coach is describing. Not saying he is going to or should start. But he can still play a huge role on the team and maybe that's what KA is thinking, however it works out.

He has no role on this team. he is 30... we have younger guys who are part of the future. This isnt a playoff team and even if it was he isnt as good as the 4 guys ahead of him and even if he is its so marginal that it doesnt matter and the age difference would have you roll with the younger guy.

Lin played his part, we thank him for helping with the culture and being a leader in the community and with young guys. time for him to finsih whats left of his career with a team he can play on who may be trying to win
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#130 » by bws94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Lin has no role on the team? Let's try mentor, captain. He is not 30, he's 29. He'll be 30 when he plays. Exactly the same age a lot of top stars will be (no, I'm not saying he's a top star, I'm saying he's the age of some top stars).

And Lopez and Booker are not what Lin brought to the team. Lin was considered captain pretty soon of the team last season. And Lin is an orchestrator. The comment KA made was about what Lin brings. Prok can say all he wants and have his opinion but KA says Lin brings these qualities. Yeah, anyone can be traded and maybe Lin will be. But to dismiss him as not having a role or any great function on the team is something I don't agree with. This team can use Lin's leadership and guidance, especially late in games, to build a higher morale and a stronger core going into coming seasons and that's his worth on this team, IMO.

Prok says this isn't about winning. Don't totally agree. The win total needs to go up for team morale season by season. So winning winnable games is part of team and individual player's development.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#131 » by Prokorov » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:30 pm

bws94 wrote:Lin has no role on the team? Let's try mentor, captain. He is not 30, he's 29. He'll be 30 when he plays. Exactly the same age a lot of top stars will be (no, I'm not saying he's a top star, I'm saying he's the age of some top stars).

They have demarre carroll as a mentor. if they need more they can get a veteran for the minimum instead of paying him 13 million.

If he was a star instead of a journeyman role player that would be different. he isnt. and we arent a win now team, we are in a rebuild.

And Lopez and Booker are not what Lin brought to the team. Lin was considered captain pretty soon of the team last season. And Lin is an orchestrator. The comment KA made was about what Lin brings. Prok can say all he wants and have his opinion but KA says Lin brings these qualities. Yeah, anyone can be traded and maybe Lin will be. But to dismiss him as not having a role or any great function on the team is something I don't agree with. This team can use Lin's leadership and guidance, especially late in games, to build a higher morale and a stronger core going into coming seasons and that's his worth on this team, IMO.

kenny said alot of goodd things about alot of guys who have since been traded or cut.

Prok says this isn't about winning. Don't totally agree. The win total needs to go up for team morale season by season. So winning winnable games is part of team and individual player's development.

incorrect.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Re: Nets offseason Salary Cap Info 

Post#132 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:We need an update here Prok. Man, that Crabbe contract is really looking like an albatross.

Here is the updated cap. Some important notes:

*This assumes a 103 million cap for next season, the current reported number. I will update if it changes.

* The 18-19 Cap holds technically are for 3 roster spots under the minimum of 12 (we are at 9) for the rookie minimum($889,318). However in reality its 2 spots at the minimum at 1 at the cost of the first rounder we get from Toronto, which is projected as of today at #26 ($1,407,500) Which is how we get to $3,186,136 (889,318 X 2 spots + 1,407,500).

* We have the ability to extend the Qualifying offer to Nik Stausku for $5,132,033. We wont do that, so i left him at 0/Expiring.

*We have a team option on Zeller for $1,933,341. Who knows. I left him as 0/Expiring for now.

*We have a team option for whitehead, $1,544,951, i assumed we pick that up, if we dont, that gets added to our available cap.

*I assumed Lin excersizes his player option. if he opts out, add $12,516,746 to our available cap.

Everything else is pretty much set in stone. Below is the most likely scenario for our salary cap for next year.

Please Let me know if you see any inaccuracies. this is best effort compiled from several resources and NBA contracts are not very static in nature especially minimum/transition type deals.

Just bumping the salary cap chart. Zeller is obviously out.

There's $13.9m in cap room. My guess is that Stauskas is definitely gone. Okafor is probably gone but could come back at a significantly reduced rate. I think we re-sign Harris for around $14m/3 years ($4.67 per). Cunningham could come back at a similar salary of $2.3m. I think Acy is sent packing. So around $7m left?

I wonder if we can trade Mozgov as an expiring contract to a team that's try to clean its roster.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#133 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:We need an update here Prok. Man, that Crabbe contract is really looking like an albatross.

Here is the updated cap. Some important notes:

*This assumes a 103 million cap for next season, the current reported number. I will update if it changes.

* The 18-19 Cap holds technically are for 3 roster spots under the minimum of 12 (we are at 9) for the rookie minimum($889,318). However in reality its 2 spots at the minimum at 1 at the cost of the first rounder we get from Toronto, which is projected as of today at #26 ($1,407,500) Which is how we get to $3,186,136 (889,318 X 2 spots + 1,407,500).

* We have the ability to extend the Qualifying offer to Nik Stausku for $5,132,033. We wont do that, so i left him at 0/Expiring.

*We have a team option on Zeller for $1,933,341. Who knows. I left him as 0/Expiring for now.

*We have a team option for whitehead, $1,544,951, i assumed we pick that up, if we dont, that gets added to our available cap.

*I assumed Lin excersizes his player option. if he opts out, add $12,516,746 to our available cap.

Everything else is pretty much set in stone. Below is the most likely scenario for our salary cap for next year.

Please Let me know if you see any inaccuracies. this is best effort compiled from several resources and NBA contracts are not very static in nature especially minimum/transition type deals.

Just bumping the salary cap chart. Zeller is obviously out.

There's $13.9m in cap room. My guess is that Stauskas is definitely gone. Okafor is probably gone but could come back at a significantly reduced rate. I think we re-sign Harris for around $14m/3 years ($4.67 per). Cunningham could come back at a similar salary of $2.3m. I think Acy is sent packing. So around $7m left?

I wonder if we can trade Mozgov as an expiring contract to a team that's try to clean its roster.

Harris will be signed last with Bird rights, so we'll have more than $7mil to spare. Also, Mozgov isn't an expiring contract. He has 2 more seasons.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#134 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Oh yeah, that's right. Prok's chart only goes until 18-19 but Mozgov goes until 2020.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#135 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Harris will be signed last with Bird rights, so we'll have more than $7mil to spare. Also, Mozgov isn't an expiring contract. He has 2 more seasons.

I thought to qualify for Bird rights, a player had to have played three seasons without changing teams as a free agent (which Harris did when he signed as a free agent from the Cavs to the Nets). I don't understand the NBA CBA so happy to be schooled.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#136 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Harris will be signed last with Bird rights, so we'll have more than $7mil to spare. Also, Mozgov isn't an expiring contract. He has 2 more seasons.

I thought to qualify for Bird rights, a player had to have played three seasons without changing teams as a free agent (which Harris did when he signed as a free agent from the Cavs to the Nets). I don't understand the NBA CBA so happy to be schooled.

There's 3 levels of "Bird Rights" Non, Early & Larry(Full). Harris is an Early Bird FA, which occurs after 2 years with the same team. That team can exceed the cap to retain him at a first year salary up to 105% of the average salary, which would be in the $7-8mil range. Harris is not getting more than that.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#137 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

There's 3 levels of "Bird Rights" Non, Early & Larry(Full). Harris is an Early Bird FA, which occurs after 2 years with the same team. That team can exceed the cap to retain him at a first year salary up to 105% of the average salary, which would be in the $7-8mil range. Harris is not getting more than that.

Shooting is at a premium and harris works well off ball too. i think someone will give him 3/30. especially once some of the more attractive options dry up
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#138 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

Shooting is at a premium and harris works well off ball too. i think someone will give him 3/30. especially once some of the more attractive options dry up
He'll get closer to half of that.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#139 » by brook » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am

I think we can resign Joe Harris with 6-7 millions/year per 3 year, with a team option after the second year.
I also would resign Okafor, with 5 millions/year per 2 year, with a team option after the first year.
I don't think Harris can receive 10 millions/year, the only team who have tons of cap and a system like our system is the Atlanta Hawks.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#140 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Harris will get somewhere between the bi-annual exception (about $3.5mil) and the tax-payer midlevel exception (about $5.5mil).

Return to Brooklyn Nets