Official Nets Salary Cap Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets offseason Salary Cap Info 

Post#101 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Please Let me know if you see any inaccuracies. this is best effort compiled from several resources and NBA contracts are not very static in nature especially minimum/transition type deals.

Thank you, well done.

For Scenarios:

Cap space if:

- Lin opts out: $25,548,134

-If lin opts out AND Whitehead is renounced (this is our MAX possible cap space): $26,203,767

-If lin opts in and we pick up options on whitehead AND Zeller: $12,876,683

-IF lin opts in, we pick up all options, AND give stauskus the QO: $8,633,968

-If we pick up all options, extend QO to stauskus and give Okafor the most we can offer(Minimum cap space): $1,978,214

beyond that you get into extensons which is 100% speculating on contracts
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Re: Nets offseason Salary Cap Info [Updated 12/13/2017] 

Post#102 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Can Prok get the title "Cap Guru" under his name? great job.

We really don't have much wiggle room here cap wise. I really like Allen Crabbe but seeing that 19 mil on the books is really making me nervous considering we have to retain guys and give out extensions. I think that the trade might have been a mistake. It's too early to say though.

it doesn't help that we have 5 million in dead money on the books either.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#103 » by Prokorov » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Can Prok get the title "Cap Guru" under his name? great job.

We really don't have much wiggle room here cap wise. I really like Allen Crabbe but seeing that 19 mil on the books is really making me nervous considering we have to retain guys and give out extensions. I think that the trade might have been a mistake. It's too early to say though.

it doesn't help that we have 5 million in dead money on the books either.

I dont want to beat a dead horse but its a tough contract... paying 19M a year for:

12 pts 4 rebs 1 ast 39% FG 37% three
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#104 » by Prokorov » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

It also makes it rough if Lin opts in. we would have 63 million invested in Crabbe/Mozgov/Carroll/Lin. thats alot of money for 4 guys who are probably better suited off the bench on a good team.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah. and with looming extensions for multiple players we won't even have much relief when all of the salary dump players expire.

Marks has done a great job, but I think he may have kicked past his coverage with the Crabbe trade. Crabbe has got to provide more to justify having a 19 mil slot being taken up by him...I'll be patient though.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#106 » by MGrand15 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 pm

How quickly are we gonna hit the luxury tax when we max out RHJ and DAngelo Russell?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#107 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am

MGrand15 wrote:How quickly are we gonna hit the luxury tax when we max out RHJ and DAngelo Russell?

yikes.... :nonono:

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#108 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm

MGrand15 wrote:How quickly are we gonna hit the luxury tax when we max out RHJ and DAngelo Russell?
RHJ is not getting maxed out, and they're due to re-sign, Mozgov & Crabbe are in the final year of their deals. Crabbe has a player option & Mozgov could be stretched. There's always the chance that you negotiate a cheap buy-out for Crabbe, or pursuade him to opt out & re-sign at a reduced price for more years ($14mil?)

That also assumes no trades involving any of those guys. While Dinwiddie is not good enough to unload Mozgov, maybe a Dinwiddie+Crabbe trade nets something of value from a team looking to rebuild.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#109 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:42 pm

I cant imagine RHJ gets the max. Russell i can see but hopefully it would be less then that.

Since both RHJ/Russell would have less then 7 years tenure their Max contract would be 25% of the cap.

The salary cap for next year projects at 103 million with Luxury tax of 121 M

the max for both of them would be the same: 5/130 (26M PER).

Lets say Russell gets the max and RHJ gets something closer to crabbe... Say 4/78 (19.5 M)

thats 45.5 M combined. Assuming we let all our expiring guys go and Lin opts out we would be at 112.5 million.... about 8 million under the luxury tax.

if Lin opts in we are at 125 million, 4M over the tax line.
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#110 » by Antti22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Prokorov wrote:

I cant imagine RHJ gets the max. Russell i can see but hopefully it would be less then that.

Since both RHJ/Russell would have less then 7 years tenure their Max contract would be 25% of the cap.

Lets say Russell gets the max and RHJ gets something closer to crabbe... Say 4/78 (19.5 M)

thats 45.5 M combined. Assuming we let all our expiring guys go and Lin opts out we would be at 112.5 million.... about 8 million under the luxury tax.

Doesnt Russell and RHJ need new contracts starting with 2019/20 season when Lin is expired regardless of the option he has for next season? Lin has a option for 2018/19 season and will expire after that. So your calculations does not make much sense to me?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#111 » by MGrand15 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:

If Otto Porter could get the max and our guys choose to play hard ball + end the year on a strong note, I think it's in the realm of possibility. Especially if other teams want to screw us over for our contracts over the past 2 seasons.

He's at 18 / 8 per 36 on 57% TS - while creating a lot of his own offense and playing without our 2 main playmakers. While playing top 10 defense. And improving every year.

Russell has been billed as our franchise player. If a team throws the max at him, we can't afford to let him go for nothing. Not sure why a team like Indiana or something wouldn't take a flyer on him.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#112 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Antti22 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Doesnt Russell and RHJ need new contracts starting with 2019/20 season when Lin is expired regardless of the option he has for next season? Lin has a option for 2018/19 season and will expire after that. So your calculations does not make much sense to me?

If they dont extend RHJ/Russell this offseason they become restricted free agents in 2019. typically you want to avoid that if you plan to bring the player back.

our 2019 cap is really difficult to predict with some many player and team options and unknowns, but if we do wait, its basically the same scenario... we are either right at or over the tax if we max/near max those guys
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#113 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If Otto Porter could get the max and our guys choose to play hard ball + end the year on a strong note, I think it's in the realm of possibility. Especially if other teams want to screw us over for our contracts over the past 2 seasons.

He's at 18 / 8 per 36 on 57% TS - while creating a lot of his own offense and playing without our 2 main playmakers. While playing top 10 defense. And improving every year.

Russell has been billed as our franchise player. If a team throws the max at him, we can't afford to let him go for nothing. Not sure why a team like Indiana or something wouldn't take a flyer on him.

Neither Russell or RHJ is a free agent this offseason. It would be an extension for both. if we wait until 2019 when they are RFAs, then I would agree with you, both could go max/near max and we would be in a tough situation.

which is why i have consistently said, extending them now is something marks needs to really consider, unless he has a plan to use our cap space in 2019, THEN match anything on those guys, and pay well into the tax.
Antti22
Senior

Post#114 » by Antti22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Antti22 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If they dont extend RHJ/Russell this offseason they become restricted free agents in 2019. typically you want to avoid that if you plan to bring the player back.

our 2019 cap is really difficult to predict with some many player and team options and unknowns, but if we do wait, its basically the same scenario... we are either right at or over the tax if we max/near max those guys

I might be really off base here, but when we give D-Lo and RHJ extensions next year before the deadline, their new salaries will still kick in starting from 2019/2020, not already next year? Unless we do the "re-neg and extend" contract after the deadline like Robert Covington, which I dont see any reason why we should do, especially with potential tax problems. Also D-Lo and RHJ are on regular rookie contracts and wont have any leverage to have us take that route (and I dont know for sure, but I am pretty sure we are not even able to do it, if we dont have cap space as the re-structuring of the contract comes from the cap)

Wiggins made a huge extension this year, but his salary for this year is still the rookie scale? Same for Embiid?

So as far as I know, RHJ and D-Lo extensions have no affect on the 2018/19 salaries for us, am I really wrong here? If so please show me how am I wrong

In my opinion Lin expiring, Crabbe and Mozgov expiring work perfectly to our timeline, especially as the season when RHJ and D-Lo extensions kick in, Crabbe and Mozgov will be expiring (and easy to stretch if needed for Mozgov for example).
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#115 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Antti22 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Antti22 wrote:

I might be really off base here, but when we give D-Lo and RHJ extensions next year before the deadline, their new salaries will still kick in starting from 2019/2020, not already next year? Unless we do the "re-neg and extend" contract after the deadline like Robert Covington, which I dont see any reason why we should do, especially with potential tax problems. Also D-Lo and RHJ are on regular rookie contracts and wont have any leverage to have us take that route (and I dont know for sure, but I am pretty sure we are not even able to do it, if we dont have cap space as the re-structuring of the contract comes from the cap)

Wiggins made a huge extension this year, but his salary for this year is still the rookie scale? Same for Embiid?

So as far as I know, RHJ and D-Lo extensions have no affect on the 2018/19 salaries for us, am I really wrong here? If so please show me how am I wrong

In my opinion Lin expiring, Crabbe and Mozgov expiring work perfectly to our timeline, especially as the season when RHJ and D-Lo extensions kick in, Crabbe and Mozgov will be expiring (and easy to stretch if needed for Mozgov for example).

As you alluded to, it all depends how the extensions are structured. if it doesnt kick in until 2019-20, their extensions would still eat up all of our cap space once they extend the QO to levert. Mozgov and Crabbe dont expiring in 19-20, they expire in 20-21 (unless crabbe declines his option, which is not gonna happen since he likely goes down in salary on his next deal).

We're looking at 45-50 million with Crabbe/Mozgov/Levert/Allen and Derons stretch. then another 45-50 with RHJ/Russell extensions. we'd hit the cap filling out the other 6-8 roster spots. if we bring back stauskus/okafor/harris we are flirting with the tax.

hard to project beyond next season, because of all the different directions we could go
Antti22
Senior

Post#116 » by Antti22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Antti22 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

As you alluded to, it all depends how the extensions are structured. if it doesnt kick in until 2019-20, their extensions would still eat up all of our cap space once they extend the QO to levert. Mozgov and Crabbe dont expiring in 19-20, they expire in 20-21 (unless crabbe declines his option, which is not gonna happen since he likely goes down in salary on his next deal).

We're looking at 45-50 million with Crabbe/Mozgov/Levert/Allen and Derons stretch. then another 45-50 with RHJ/Russell extensions. we'd hit the cap filling out the other 6-8 roster spots. if we bring back stauskus/okafor/harris we are flirting with the tax.

hard to project beyond next season, because of all the different directions we could go

You really must recheck your calculations, you are jumping the gun on every contract here....

Sorry I didnt express myself clearly on the last paragraph, what I meant was that J-Lin will be expired in the summer of 2019 and Crabbe + Mozgov will become expiring contracts as their last year is 2019/20 (if Crabbe opts in). And last year contracts are much easier to move and/or stretch.

We will be extending D-Lo and RHJ, but their new contracts will have no effect for 2018/19 season, they will be playing out their 4th year of rookie salary as their options were picked up.
Same with LeVert, he will be probably be getting his extension in the autumn of 2019, but it will have effect starting from 2020/21 season so his QO will have no effect and by the time his extension kicks in, Crabbe and Mozgov are gone, aswell as D-Will dead salary. Allen will still be on rookie contract then, so I dont see why you bring him into this?

To make it clear for cap purposes:
2018/2019 season:
J-Lin last season at 12,5 mill (expiring at end of season)
RHJ last season at 3,2 mill (extended in October 2018 for x/xx)
D-Lo last season at 7mill (extended for the max in October 2018)
Demarre last season at 15 mill
Levert and Allen on rookie deals

2019/2020 season:
DeMarre and Lin gone (atleast their current contracts)
RHJ first season with new contract
D-Lo first season with new contract
Crabbe last season at 18,5 mill (expiring contract)
Mozgov last season at 16,7 mill ( expiring contract)
D-Will last season at 5 mill (dead money)
Levert last season at 2,6 mill (extended in october 2019)

2020/2021:
D-Lo and RHJ second season with the extended versions of contracts
No Crabbe, No Mozgov
Levert first season with new contract
J.Allen last season at 3,9 mill (probable extension made in october 2020, kicks in from 2021/22)

Here you do realize you are talking about the summer of 2019? Why are we speculating 2 years in advance (so many things can change by then) when we should be concentrating on summer of 2018? At the same time when D-Lo and RHJ extensions kick in, Crabbe and Mozgov will become easy trade and/or stretch candidates as they will have only last year to play. Creating cap space if needed or we just play it out. LeVert and Allen will still be on rookie deals that year.

We have limited flexibility this summer, but we still have some. And same goes for 2019.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#117 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Antti22 wrote:
Here you do realize you are talking about the summer of 2019? Why are we speculating 2 years in advance (so many things can change by then) when we should be concentrating on summer of 2018?

I agree and have said as much a few times... too many possible avenues to project things past this upcoming offseason. I was simply responding to the hypothetical proposed by Mgrand15... and even in my response i went as far as to say its hard to project out with so many team/player options and uncertainty on our own free agents and guys who may be extended

At the same time when D-Lo and RHJ extensions kick in, Crabbe and Mozgov will become easy trade and/or stretch candidates as they will have only last year to play. Creating cap space if needed or we just play it out. LeVert and Allen will still be on rookie deals that year.

We have limited flexibility this summer, but we still have some. And same goes for 2019.

I never assume a deal is easy to move. Especially such large ones. We always see on the T&T board large expriings easily moved, and some do get moved, but typical they arent as easy to dump as they may seem... or at least not without taking back some longer term money.

And again, I was simply giving our situations in regards to the tax line, since Mgrand15 specifically asked how close we would be if we maxed out RHJ and DLO.

your overall assessment is correct, and one we covered a few pages back. we have cap room, we are far from cap hell. we do have some flexibility, but not nearly what we had the past 2 offseasons. and how we deal with RHJ/DLO will really mold how we do things.
Antti22
Senior

Post#118 » by Antti22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Ok. Fair enough.

I was just confused by this one little bit because I dont see a realistic option where D-Lo and RHJ can take us to tax territory this coming summer ( J-Lin option time):

Sorry if I overreacted as I just got a little confused by that logic.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#119 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Antti22 wrote:Ok. Fair enough.

I was just confused by this one little bit because I dont see a realistic option where D-Lo and RHJ can take us to tax territory this coming summer ( J-Lin option time):

Sorry if I overreacted as I just got a little confused by that logic.

No worries. As I mentioned in the OP this information comes from several sources and a CBA document that is not frequently updated and these contracts are all always wonky and conflicting. I'm not some salary cap snob and encourage any correction.

as far as the above, I believe the team has an option to throw out the last year of those contracts and begin the new contracts immediately. this would require the team to have the cap space outright i believe so that would need to be resolved first. This would be advantageous in the event the player takes a discount to begin an extension sooner.

Again, I don't believe this is likely i was just trying to address the hypothetical. I do believe it would be smart to extend one or both, as rolling the dice on RFA to me is unwise. some GM is going to throw money at one or both and make it a tough decision for us.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#120 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:36 pm

There is no way we extend Russell ahead of schedule, and RHJ only gets extended if he's willing to extend for great value. Their cap holds (Qualifying Offer) will be very low compared to their actual salaries. That has to be used to our advantage in Free agency that year. If Russell develops as expected, we have to be prepared to pay him a max, whether on a matched offer or directly from us. It's also way too early to tell who will have cap space in 2019, but I'm fine with daring a team to overpay for RHJ and being faced with the decision to match. He's a nice player. Maybe he becomes peak Carroll if he develops more consistent range. I don't see any team ridiculously overpaying him though.

Return to Brooklyn Nets