Brookie the Wookie: Brook Lopez Appreciation Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Brookie the Wookie: Brook Lopez Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 pm

We eclipsed 100 pages with the original Brook thread. Time for the second installment.

This is the link to the first thread.

And here are the last few posts from the end of the first thread:

MrDollarBills wrote:Lopez starting games isn't the issue. Finishing games is the problem.

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:He's better than Greg Monroe...He's not coming off the bench lol he's the best player on the team.

Being the best player on a perrenial 60+ lost team isnt saying much.

also never said monroe was better, i said his value to a playoff team is in that greg monoe role. we saw how much better the bucks got putting in a versatile defensive center and allowing monroe to just be instant offense off the bench.

that is where lopez can most help a good team. offense off the bench. his D wont kill you coming off the bench and you can adjust his minutes based on how aggressive he is taking away his other flaw (not being consistently aggressive).

kamaze wrote:If Brook comes off the bench who starts?

NyCeEvO wrote:If the Nets draft a center, I'd actually be somewhat surprised to see the Nets trade Lopez away immediately.

Unless they have a can't miss pick, Marks and Kenny seem to appreciate having veterans around who can help out, take pressure off of rookies to perform immediately, and ease them into the system.

Even though I'd like to be believe that Lopez is actually worth a mid-1st rounder, if it's true that he's only worth a 2nd round pick, it'd probably be more beneficial in the long run to have our young big man take his time to develop this season before assuming the reins next year.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Brookie the Wookie: Official Brook Lopez Thread Part II 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:If the Nets draft a center, I'd actually be somewhat surprised to see the Nets trade Lopez away immediately.

Unless they have a can't miss pick, Marks and Kenny seem to appreciate having veterans around who can help out, take pressure off of rookies to perform immediately, and ease them into the system.

Even though I'd like to be believe that Lopez is actually worth a mid-1st rounder, if it's true that he's only worth a 2nd round pick, it'd probably be more beneficial in the long run to have our young big man take his time to develop this season before assuming the reins next year.
[/quote]

normally id agree.... but brook expires. so its extend him, trade him, or keep him around as a 1 year mentor. for me trading him makes most sense
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#3 » by kamaze » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:

normally id agree.... but brook expires. so its extend him, trade him, or keep him around as a 1 year mentor. for me trading him makes most sense

Or even keep him after this year. I know you don't like him but hes no Luis Scola or Randy Foye; no offense to either; he's a 20 ppg scorer the teams needs him.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#4 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm

kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Or even keep him after this year. I know you don't like him but hes no Luis Scola or Randy Foye; no offense to either; he's a 20 ppg scorer the teams needs him.

The question that we've been going back and forth on is how much it's going to cost us to re-sign Lopez.

In my mind, we should not sign any player to a contract taking up more than 25 or higher % of cap space unless they are true star.

Ideally, Brook is a player that you sign after you already have a star or two. That way his flaws are either masked by the strengths of the stars or they do not mitigate the success of the team. That's when you don't care about going above the cap because you already have players that can take you far into the playoffs and possibly win a title.

I like Brook as a person but I think in this rebuild it's extremely important that we take emotion out of this equation and do what makes sense for the future of the team. I don't think giving Brook a max contract at this time is a wise move.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#5 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I still feel like Brook is straight up deadly in the right role. Many have alluded to it, especially MDB, it's not starting games, it's finishing them. But sometimes his offense is that beast mode and he needs to be on the floor for the end too.

You're never winning a chip with Brook as one of your 2 best players. Ever.

Probably not as 3rd either.

But as 4th, he would be so sick.

And on a team like these title teams, he could be 3rd. Like Steph, KD, then Brook? Yeah, that would be money with Green still there and a different look kind of 2 guard and a slightly different bench. Not that Klay can't D, but he wants more than that.

On Cleveland? Sure, but with a different makeup. Swap George for Love and swap Kyrie for a guy like Conley.

How bout San An? Sure, if 1 and 2 were Kawhi and say Chris Paul, he could be LaMarcus if Pau was Tyson Chandler or healthy Favors, or Horford.

There is always context needed.

Brook is NEVER a lead the team to a ton of wins, number 1 guy, or even number 2 super stud masquerading as a number 1 on a treadmill squad. But he can be a great star complimentary piece. He to an extent had been, it was just all the supposed stars and top notch role guys around him, or that he was around were flatout fugazi themselves.

Brook is a very good player and as much as it's hard to win with him as a focal point, especially on D, a good organization, a good coaching staff, they would implement him properly and he wouldn't be the big fish talent to begin with. Period.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#6 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I still feel like Brook is straight up deadly in the right role. Many have alluded to it, especially MDB, it's not starting games, it's finishing them. But sometimes his offense is that beast mode and he needs to be on the floor for the end too.

And on a team like these title teams, he could be 3rd. Like Steph, KD, then Brook? Yeah, that would be money with Green still there and a different look kind of 2 guard and a slightly different bench. Not that Klay can't D, but he wants more than that.

On Cleveland? Sure, but with a different makeup. Swap George for Love and swap Kyrie for a guy like Conley.

How bout San An? Sure, if 1 and 2 were Kawhi and say Chris Paul, he could be LaMarcus if Pau was Tyson Chandler or healthy Favors, or Horford.

Brook is NEVER a lead the team to a ton of wins, number 1 guy, or even number 2 super stud masquerading as a number 1 on a treadmill squad. But he can be a great star complimentary piece. He to an extent had been, it was just all the supposed stars and top notch role guys around him, or that he was around were flatout fugazi themselves.

Brook is a very good player and as much as it's hard to win with him as a focal point, especially on D, a good organization, a good coaching staff, they would implement him properly and he wouldn't be the big fish talent to begin with. Period.

Agreed 100%.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I still feel like Brook is straight up deadly in the right role. Many have alluded to it, especially MDB, it's not starting games, it's finishing them. But sometimes his offense is that beast mode and he needs to be on the floor for the end too.

Problem is that its super hard to put him in that role since he commands a salary that makes it super unlikely he can be your 4th guy. unless you have a stud or two on rookie deals, its unlikely.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,795

Re: Brookie the Wookie: Brook Lopez Appreciation Thread 

Post#8 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Thread title updated
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#9 » by Antti22 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:31 pm

So long Big Guy! Loved the time you were here! Have fun in California :)
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#10 » by Paradise » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Well, I didn't expect him to go like that but it's been fun rooting for him. His entire Aura has been all over the franchise for so long. I don't think I can imagine a Nets broadcast without him.

I'm glad he gets a chance to join Paul George in LA. Good luck to him and despite his shortcomings, I want to see him get his jersey retired.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,836

Post#11 » by Karate Diop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Where does Brook Lopez rank all-time among Nets greats?
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#12 » by therealbig3 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 pm

My bad, I started a new thread, didn't realize this was here.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Problem is that its super hard to put him in that role since he commands a salary that makes it super unlikely he can be your 4th guy. unless you have a stud or two on rookie deals, its unlikely.

Have to disagree. Look at the small group of contenders and larger group of pretenders. Almost all of them have 2 or 3 max guys and 4 guys minimum making close to or above $20 million a season and are over the tax.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Paradise wrote:Well, I didn't expect him to go like that but it's been fun rooting for him. His entire Aura has been all over the franchise for so long. I don't think I can imagine a Nets broadcast without him.

I'm glad he gets a chance to join Paul George in LA. Good luck to him and despite his shortcomings, I want to see him get his jersey retired.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Have to wonder if Paul George actually requested him?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,795

Post#15 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Brook for all his fallings, was our star that this team grew. He was our star that always wanted to be a Net.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#16 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Wow...

So many emotions hit me at when I read the headline.

1) Brook Lopez was a trooper. He survived many trade deadlines and reports that the Nets didn't want him. He ALWAYS wanted to be a Brooklyn Net since we drafted him. How many players of Brook's skill level have repeatedly stated that they desired to be and remain a Net. Kudos and much respect to him always.

2) I'm not going to use the appreciation thread to talk about Brook's flaws. We all know what they are. If he gets on the right team in the end and stays healthy, he will produce and will be a positive contributor to that team. Brook adjusted with the new skills required for the modern NBA while others failed. Good on him becoming a 3pt bomber within one offseason.

3) I'm glad he gets to go home. If nothing else works out for him, at least he's much closer to Disney.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#17 » by Claud » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Thank you Brook for your loyalty over the years! One of my favorite Net of all time. Good luck in LA!
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#18 » by jbeachboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:04 am

its tough when that time is for him to go, i hope we retire his jersey someday, good luck brook!
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 am

NyCeEvO wrote:We eclipsed 100 pages with the original Brook thread. Time for the second installment.

This is the link to the first thread.

And here are the last few posts from the end of the first thread:

MrDollarBills wrote:Lopez starting games isn't the issue. Finishing games is the problem.

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:He's better than Greg Monroe...He's not coming off the bench lol he's the best player on the team.

Being the best player on a perrenial 60+ lost team isnt saying much.

also never said monroe was better, i said his value to a playoff team is in that greg monoe role. we saw how much better the bucks got putting in a versatile defensive center and allowing monroe to just be instant offense off the bench.

that is where lopez can most help a good team. offense off the bench. his D wont kill you coming off the bench and you can adjust his minutes based on how aggressive he is taking away his other flaw (not being consistently aggressive).

kamaze wrote:If Brook comes off the bench who starts?

Damn you!

I was gonna start this to show my love for Brook.... no one was harder on the dude then me.... and i hated on him big time. but he was always a great loyal dude. great to the fans. my hate never extended beyond the court and his short comings

wish him the best. LA is a good spot for him. i hope somehow he ends up resigning with them and gets to play with PG13 and/or Lebron or something. and now he can go to disney every day :lol:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#20 » by Prokorov » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

Brook Lopez... STILL undefeated vs the trade deadline

Return to Brooklyn Nets