ImageImageImageImageImage

Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Kswiss
Rookie
And1: 370

Re: Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov 

Post#621 » by Kswiss » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Kswiss wrote:I got banned from the general board three weeks ago by a Lakers mod for saying D-Lo is trash. My opinion of D-Lo has nothing to do with Lin trust me. I wish it did...

Mind digging it up to prove your innocence?

Got it!

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=55531649#p55531649
Kswiss wrote:I would say trade him but I don't think they'd get any value back. I don't think he'd start on any team except maybe Sacramento depending on their draft. I guess he could back up McConnell in Philly, but I don't think he's got the humility to do that. If they can get any value though the Lakers should definitely do it. Ball has a very bright future. Exciting times :D
(May 17, 2017 )

(there were plenty agreeing with him)

So I guess he's neither a troll, an insecure Lin fan nor a Lin hater; just extremely opinionated. :wink:

Impressive diligence :), but yea while I am a huge fan of Lin's game, my opinion of D-Lo is based on his basketball ability and attitude unfortunately for the Nets. I'll wait until the season comes around for a lot of people to see what I'm talking about. I live in California so I watch a lot of Lakers games. Actually live 10 miles away from the great J-Lin himself (Palo-Alto home). But oh well maybe we can trade D-Lo for assets or maybe he can become a decent backup SG. The gaping lack of athleticism unfortunately is never going to allow him to be a starting level player. Typically if a player is going to be extremely lacking athletically, they need to be able to make up for it with size/length/skill, or at he very least tenacious defense and leadership as a bench player or spot starter. Unfortunately in Russell's case he has none of the above. I'm not gonna keep harping on this until a lot of guys in this game thread have more Nets D-Lo game film, but I hope I'm wrong. Unfortunately basketballwise, I rarely am lol
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Re: Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov 

Post#622 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 am

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:moves id make:

-free agents under the age of 25.
-Salary dumps for future draft picks
-Bargain basement signings for veteran mentors

outside of that i wouldnt sign anyone

25 is a little too limiting. I'd cap it to 28.

If by bargain basement you mean <=2 years, sure. I'd rather bring in guys with a little more left in the tank then what Scola & Foye had. I wouldn't object to bringing in a higher priced vet if they can still play.

a 28 year old would be 30+ when we realistically would be competing for playoffs again. i don't like that timeline fit
Any FA's contract will be expired or near expired by the time we're in playoff contention. You don't need to retain everybody. Your core can all be young & developing together, but you don't need a roster full of same aged players. In my opinion, it's also better for development if you can be competitive and play in meaningful games for the majority of the season. Too much youth and too much losing is not good for culture or player development.
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Re: Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov 

Post#623 » by J_LA » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 am

Kswiss wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Mind digging it up to prove your innocence?

Got it!

Kswiss wrote:I would say trade him but I don't think they'd get any value back. I don't think he'd start on any team except maybe Sacramento depending on their draft. I guess he could back up McConnell in Philly, but I don't think he's got the humility to do that. If they can get any value though the Lakers should definitely do it. Ball has a very bright future. Exciting times :D
(May 17, 2017 )

So I guess he's neither a troll, an insecure Lin fan nor a Lin hater; just extremely opinionated. :wink:

Impressive diligence :), but yea while I am a huge fan of Lin's game, my opinion of D-Lo is based on his basketball ability and attitude unfortunately for the Nets. I'll wait until the season comes around for a lot of people to see what I'm talking about. I live in California so I watch a lot of Lakers games. Actually live 10 miles away from the great J-Lin himself (Palo-Alto home). But oh well maybe we can trade D-Lo for assets or maybe he can become a decent backup SG. The gaping lack of athleticism unfortunately is never going to allow him to be a starting level player. Typically if a player is going to be extremely lacking athletically, they need to be able to make up for it with size/length/skill, or at he very least tenacious defense and leadership as a bench player or spot starter. Unfortunately in Russell's case he has none of the above. I'm not gonna keep harping on this until a lot of guys in this game thread have more Nets D-Lo game film, but I hope I'm wrong. Unfortunately basketballwise, I rarely am lol

Take the L K-Swiss
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#624 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 am

Kswiss wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Got it!

(May 17, 2017 )

Thx! Let's hope you're dead wrong. (the guy can pass and shoot)
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#625 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 am

Kswiss wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Got it!

(May 17, 2017 )

.. You're completely off base, man. Just curious how many Russell games you've watched?

I've watched every minute of every Russell game. The above and some of the other negative posts of Russell I've seen are complete s**t.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Re: Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov 

Post#626 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:47 am

J_LA wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
i could say its my opinion that curry sucks and will be out of the leaguge in two years... that would still be trolling even if i believe it

You mean you agree with George Karl. (Seth) :wink:

Steph would be different cuz he's absolutely proven. GSW wouldn't trade him for cap relief......

As soon as the Lakers hired Magic and even Rob to a certain extent, his days were numbered and he knew it. If I remember correctly the same week of the hire he tweeted something like "control what you can control".

Magic and Byron are still very close. They workout together every morning in La. You can bet your ass with Magic being as petty as he is and Byron being the guy he is, they couldn't wait to get their payback after the way Byron's tenure ended in La.
Rob Pelinka is Kobe's guy, Kobe and Byron are pretty close. Point being, this kid had no chance from the moment Mitch and JIm were gone. If you think they didn't influence the decision to get rid of him here, your'e crazy. This wasn't business, this was personal and everybody knows it.

What? You mean they traded him out of spite rather than trying to get the best deal out there?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: Official: Nets Trade Brook Lopez and 27th Pick for D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov 

Post#627 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:21 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
J_LA wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:You mean you agree with George Karl. (Seth) :wink:

Steph would be different cuz he's absolutely proven. GSW wouldn't trade him for cap relief......

As soon as the Lakers hired Magic and even Rob to a certain extent, his days were numbered and he knew it. If I remember correctly the same week of the hire he tweeted something like "control what you can control".

Magic and Byron are still very close. They workout together every morning in La. You can bet your ass with Magic being as petty as he is and Byron being the guy he is, they couldn't wait to get their payback after the way Byron's tenure ended in La.
Rob Pelinka is Kobe's guy, Kobe and Byron are pretty close. Point being, this kid had no chance from the moment Mitch and JIm were gone. If you think they didn't influence the decision to get rid of him here, your'e crazy. This wasn't business, this was personal and everybody knows it.

What? You mean they traded him out of spite rather than trying to get the best deal out there?

Based on the needless digs Magic is taking at D'Angelo, yeah...I can see it being somewhat true.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Post#628 » by J_LA » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
J_LA wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:You mean you agree with George Karl. (Seth) :wink:

Im saying Magic wanted to replace him the day he took the job. I'm sure byron had influenced the way he felt about him since day 1. Plus D'Angelo was the guy Mitch and Jim drafted. He wasn't "Magics guy". I'm sure getting that draft pick was his last day as a Laker as far as Magic was concerned. That's when he knew he had someone to replace him with.

Did they get the best deal that was out there? Probably, but the "best deal" was crap compared to what a guy like Booker or Porzingis value is on the market. Say what you want, Russell's game is on par with both of them. You might not agree but at least you can't argue that they aren't on the same level. Yet those guys are considered "untouchable" for some reason.
Why? Because their organization consistently calls them corner stones and tells anyone who's willing to listen how high they are on them.

Before magic came along Russell was considered a premium asset along with Ingram. Whether it was the local media or guys like Zach Lowe and Kevin Pelton. Russell and Ingram were always considered the 2 premium assets. Magics diarrhea mouth made it so that it just became Ingram, It wasn't Russell's play that lowered his own value. And despite Ingram having one of the worst rookie seasons statistically and not showing anything near the type of promise Russell has, (I love Ingram btw ) D'Angelo is the one who gets used in a salary dump? A year before they Intend to use the cap space?

That's not called making your basketball team better imo that's personal. Or at the very least, very stupid.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#629 » by Prokorov » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:05 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Image

Got it!

(May 17, 2017 )

no he is all 3 of those things....

you can not like Russell... but calling him out of the league in 3 years is just a complete troll job espeecially coming off 2 outstanding season for a 19/20 year old. he has already proven he isnt a bust.

he is just insecure about lin and hates russell
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#630 » by Prokorov » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:25 is a little too limiting. I'd cap it to 28.

If by bargain basement you mean <=2 years, sure. I'd rather bring in guys with a little more left in the tank then what Scola & Foye had. I wouldn't object to bringing in a higher priced vet if they can still play.

a 28 year old would be 30+ when we realistically would be competing for playoffs again. i don't like that timeline fit
Any FA's contract will be expired or near expired by the time we're in playoff contention. You don't need to retain everybody. Your core can all be young & developing together, but you don't need a roster full of same aged players. In my opinion, it's also better for development if you can be competitive and play in meaningful games for the majority of the season. Too much youth and too much losing is not good for culture or player development.

in a normal rebuild id agree. we are 3 years away from being 3 years away
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#631 » by Antti22 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Can someone make a awesome signature based on D-Lo and LeVert? Something along the lines of "The Brooklyn Backcourt 2.0" or smth
Kswiss
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#632 » by Kswiss » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Got it!

(May 17, 2017 )

no he is all 3 of those things....

you can not like Russell... but calling him out of the league in 3 years is just a complete troll job espeecially coming off 2 outstanding season for a 19/20 year old. he has already proven he isnt a bust.

he is just insecure about lin and hates russell

Logic is hard
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#633 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 am

76ers fan. Great trade for the Nets. Wish the 76ers would have looked into this deal before the draft.

This is exactly the kind of deal that should be done for a bottom team with CAP space. Grab some undervalued players with talent along with taking some bad salary and improve your talent base. Next up, maybe target some forwards like Aaron Gordon or Stanley Johnson while their teams mismanage their development.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Post#634 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:00 am

TylersLakers wrote:
Kswiss wrote:

Got it!

.. You're completely off base, man. Just curious how many Russell games you've watched?

I've watched every minute of every Russell game. The above and some of the other negative posts of Russell I've seen are complete s**t.

^yep.

The Lin trolls' panties are in a bunch because they think Russell is going to replace Lin, when in reality the plan is for them to play together to form a skilled dual ballhandler backcourt. If you're still checking in on us during the season, their agenda will be clear as day when Russell gets attacked by them en masse after a loss for "wasting Lin's minutes" or by not passing him the ball or whatever nonsense. They are already gearing up to attack this kid. This season is going to be ugly on here, and it's unfortunate because I'm so stoked to see our trio of Lin, Russell, and LeVert go at other squads.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Post#635 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 am

J_LA wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
J_LA wrote:

Im saying Magic wanted to replace him the day he took the job. I'm sure byron had influenced the way he felt about him since day 1. Plus D'Angelo was the guy Mitch and Jim drafted. He wasn't "Magics guy". I'm sure getting that draft pick was his last day as a Laker as far as Magic was concerned. That's when he knew he had someone to replace him with.

Did they get the best deal that was out there? Probably, but the "best deal" was crap compared to what a guy like Booker or Porzingis value is on the market. Say what you want, Russell's game is on par with both of them. You might not agree but at least you can't argue that they aren't on the same level. Yet those guys are considered "untouchable" for some reason.
Why? Because their organization consistently calls them corner stones and tells anyone who's willing to listen how high they are on them.

Before magic came along Russell was considered a premium asset along with Ingram. Whether it was the local media or guys like Zach Lowe and Kevin Pelton. Russell and Ingram were always considered the 2 premium assets. Magics diarrhea mouth made it so that it just became Ingram, It wasn't Russell's play that lowered his own value. And despite Ingram having one of the worst rookie seasons statistically and not showing anything near the type of promise Russell has, (I love Ingram btw ) D'Angelo is the one who gets used in a salary dump? A year before they Intend to use the cap space?

That's not called making your basketball team better imo that's personal. Or at the very least, very stupid.

That's messed up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#636 » by Karate Diop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:09 am

LloydFree wrote:76ers fan. Great trade for the Nets. Wish the 76ers would have looked into this deal before the draft.

This is exactly the kind of deal that should be done for a bottom tam with CAP space. Grab some undervalued players with talent along with taking some bad salary and improve your talent base. Next up, maybe target some forwards like Aaron Gordon or Stanley Johnson while their teams mismanage their development.

Yep. This is what I'm hoping for! The Nets should be looking at guys like Stanley Johnson and Mario Hezojna.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#637 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:^yep.

The Lin trolls' panties are in a bunch because they think Russell is going to replace Lin, when in reality the plan is for them to play together to form a skilled dual ballhandler backcourt. If you're still checking in on us during the season, their agenda will be clear as day when Russell gets attacked by them en masse after a loss for "wasting Lin's minutes" or by not passing him the ball or whatever nonsense. They are already gearing up to attack this kid. This season is going to be ugly on here, and it's unfortunate because I'm so stoked to see our trio of Lin, Russell, and LeVert go at other squads.

Exactly... it only gets worse from here.... any game we lose where russell gets more shots or takes the last shot or gets more minutes you get the flood of Linsecurity (copyright pending).

I remeber a game last year were Lin was the scorers table ready to check in at like 8 minutes but there was no stoppoage of play so he didnt get in until like the 6 minute mark. we scored on EVERY single possesion during that span and Lin fans killed kenny for not calling his LAST timeout there (which we ended up needing in order to set up a last second chance - which lin turned over or had an offensive foul or something)
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#638 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Two things:

1) This thread is about the trade of Brook Lopez for D'Angelo Russell, and Timofey Mozgov. Discuss the trade itself. We have official threads for each of player involved so if you want to debate things about them go there and do that in a civil manner.

In this thread, we are not going to talk about what impact this trade has on Lin or who is going to be a starter. It's derailing and won't be tolerated any longer

2) One thing I will say to Nets fans that I haven't said before is that being a player fan is a newish type of fandom that is here to stay. Go to other team boards and you will see fans of LBJ, Carmelo, Paul George, Kyrie, and many other players battling it out with team diehards. We will definitely see an uptick in visits and comments from D'Angelo fans.

I think this has been a struggle for many of us as Lin is the first player that has a strong following. As things get better for the Nets and we hopefully and eventually get better players, you will see more fans of individual players on this board and it can cause a lot of friction. The Nets haven't had a perennial allstar since Kidd so this board has been spared the impact of player fans on team boards especially with the rise of social media.

The quicker we accept this different way of appreciating the sport, the less hostile things will be.

Player fans aren't inherently bad. The detail with which some Lin fans have analyzed Lin's game but then also incorporated an in-depth analysis of the Nets as well has been insanely good and a welcome addition to the board.

But along with the good there will inevitably be some bad stuff. Just like we have team or regime homers, there will be bad player fans. If the good team fans work with good player fans, we can weed out bad team fans, bad player fans, and trolls to make this an even better Nets board.

-NyCe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#639 » by Paradise » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Yikes.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#640 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 am

J_LA wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
J_LA wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying is totally true, but with two pieces of new info from Magic, I reckon the situation was kinda like: The Swaggy/Iggy thing was really big. It creates a big problem within the team so he pretty much had to trade Dsel. Teams around the league are wary of the risk and don't really want him. At the same time, Magic absolutely wants to get rid of Mozgov and/or Deng to be able to sign big FAs. Dangled an unprotected future 1st but no one bites. Marks, whose team has no draft picks and is desperate for a legit future star, came calling. Magic was like, great! One stone two birds! (or four, cuz he gets a 1st rounder and a top offensive center)

OTOH, we just got lucky all that happened.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Brooklyn Nets