Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Official D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#1521 » by Paradise » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 am

King_Supreme wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
King_Supreme wrote:With D'Lo's recent injuries, you think Marks will be able to extend him to a below market deal this summer(2yrs/54 mil with a 3rd yr Player Option)?

Why on earth would the Nets even remotely consider doing that? snaking our franchise player?

How is that snaking? DLO is a talented player, but has injury concerns and is currently not a star(although he can be an perennial AS player). If you can get a player below market value, you do it especially in a salary cap sport. Worst case scenario DLO rejects the extension offer and you guys match whatever offer he gets in RFA.

Nets are in an interesting place, although they don't currently have a lotto pick, they do possess 2 above average ceiling players on rookie deals. Not too mention, BK is only a year away from being in a position from netting a AS to franchise level player in the 2019 draft(Barrett; Bol, Reddish, Zion, etc). The more players you have on below market deals, the higher chances you have at winning(see '15 Warriors or '14 Spurs).

I’m sure we’ll add creative injury incentives but he’s getting 5 Years / $90m at the lowest. RHJ likely gets something like $40m possibly.

DX has Reddish mocked to us at 4. Not sure if we’re going to be that bad.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,878

Re: Official D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#1522 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 am

King_Supreme wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
King_Supreme wrote:With D'Lo's recent injuries, you think Marks will be able to extend him to a below market deal this summer(2yrs/54 mil with a 3rd yr Player Option)?

Why on earth would the Nets even remotely consider doing that? snaking our franchise player?

How is that snaking? DLO is a talented player, but has injury concerns and is currently not a star(although he can be an perennial AS player). If you can get a player below market value, you do it especially in a salary cap sport. Worst case scenario DLO rejects the extension offer and you guys match whatever offer he gets in RFA.

Nets are in an interesting place, although they don't currently have a lotto pick, they do possess 2 above average ceiling players on rookie deals. Not too mention, BK is only a year away from being in a position from netting a AS to franchise level player in the 2019 draft(Barrett; Bol, Reddish, Zion, etc). The more players you have on below market deals, the higher chances you have at winning(see '15 Warriors or '14 Spurs).

unless Russell sustains some horrific injury, he's not going to sign for a below market contact. why would he?

this isn't NBA 2K. you can't just force someone to sign a contract
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1523 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 pm

It'll be Russell's call. If he wants an extension sooner, he'll have to take a little less money to get it. Otherwise, 2019 is our best shot to have significant cap space for free agency. It's in our best interest to only have cap holds for the RFA tender values of RHJ & DLo that offseason.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#1524 » by lamscott » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Hey guys. Heard about Russell's knee issue form WOJ. I got killed earlier on by one of you guys by calling it a chronic knee issue. But just watch his knee. Its always been a bit of a problem ever since he was a rookie.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1525 » by MGrand15 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

A 2 yr deal for 27 mil per year with a player option 3rd year is the exact opposite of snaking Russell. It'd be putting our franchise in the worst possible negotiating position. I can't think of anything worse. Russell's agent would love that. If he plays great, he opts out after 2 years, gets a 4 year deal for way more money with the option to go anywhere. If he plays bad, he opts in to another year at 30 million.
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#1526 » by hood30 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

King_Supreme
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#1527 » by King_Supreme » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 pm

MGrand15 wrote:A 2 yr deal for 27 mil per year with a player option 3rd year is the exact opposite of snaking Russell. It'd be putting our franchise in the worst possible negotiating position. I can't think of anything worse. Russell's agent would love that. If he plays great, he opts out after 2 years, gets a 4 year deal for way more money with the option to go anywhere. If he plays bad, he opts in to another year at 30 million.

The deal I proposed goes like this, 3yrs/54 mil
Year 1 - 18 mil
Year 2- 18 mil
Year 3 - 18 mil Player Option

On an annual basis, DLO would make 5-8 mil below max, but he'd be eligible to hit UFA 2+ years earlier than most young players.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#1528 » by Ror1997 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm

King_Supreme wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:A 2 yr deal for 27 mil per year with a player option 3rd year is the exact opposite of snaking Russell. It'd be putting our franchise in the worst possible negotiating position. I can't think of anything worse. Russell's agent would love that. If he plays great, he opts out after 2 years, gets a 4 year deal for way more money with the option to go anywhere. If he plays bad, he opts in to another year at 30 million.

Year 1 - 18 mil
Year 2- 18 mil

On an annual basis, DLO would make 5-8 mil below max, but he'd be eligible to hit UFA 2+ years earlier than most young players.

Oh ok so in this scenario we are only screwing DLo over for 3 years, then we screw ourselves over by letting DLo hit UFA 2 years too early. At least everybody is getting equally screwed.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1529 » by moonpie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1530 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm

I'll take "day by day" over getting news that he's going to miss a month immediately following the injury. I think we would've heard by now if it was going to be something major.

---

So I know Russell was an instant sensation here once he posted that first IG video of him shooting around in the gym at midnight the day after he was traded. But I'd love to see videos next off season of this guy putting up 250lb squats. I'm not questioning if he works out or not, but I'd like to see a focus there. I feel like with his size at the PG that if he put on some more muscle (like RHJ did) then he'd beast and be less prone to injury.

I've got no doubt he's a gym rat, but I'd like to see him grinding out the weights too so we make sure he's ready for 30mpg over 82 games over the next 10 years.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1531 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm

King_Supreme wrote:

Year 1 - 18 mil
Year 2- 18 mil

Not a chance. Ask yourself who should make more: DLo or Crabbe? DLo or Otto Porter?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1532 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm

lamscott wrote:Hey guys. Heard about Russell's knee issue form WOJ. I got killed earlier on by one of you guys by calling it a chronic knee issue. But just watch his knee. Its always been a bit of a problem ever since he was a rookie.

a knee contusion is a chronic knee issue?

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1533 » by kamaze » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I'll take "day by day" over getting news that he's going to miss a month immediately following the injury. I think we would've heard by now if it was going to be something major.

---

So I know Russell was an instant sensation here once he posted that first IG video of him shooting around in the gym at midnight the day after he was traded. But I'd love to see videos next off season of this guy putting up 250lb squats. I'm not questioning if he works out or not, but I'd like to see a focus there. I feel like with his size at the PG that if he put on some more muscle (like RHJ did) then he'd beast and be less prone to injury.

I've got no doubt he's a gym rat, but I'd like to see him grinding out the weights too so we make sure he's ready for 30mpg over 82 games over the next 10 years.

That's a bad idea when he has knee issues.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1534 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 pm

since he might be day to day. maybe dlo will surprise us and be health enough to play tomorrow:D
lamscott
Analyst

Post#1535 » by lamscott » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 pm

<delete>
kamaze
General Manager

Post#1536 » by kamaze » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
lamscott wrote:Hey guys. Heard about Russell's knee issue form WOJ. I got killed earlier on by one of you guys by calling it a chronic knee issue. But just watch his knee. Its always been a bit of a problem ever since he was a rookie.

You're naive not to acknowledge his injury history. After off season surgery from Dr. Riley J. Williams III he'll be good to go.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#1537 » by kamaze » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Russell has a history of issues with both his knees. He missed 11 games with the Lakers in November and December last season with left knee soreness. There was no surgery, but he needed a platelet-rich plasma injection at one point. Then he sat out three more games in late January with an injured right knee.

This season, Russell sat out the Nets big win over the Cavs in late October with a sprained right knee. He was back the next game.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1538 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You're naive not to acknowledge his injury history. After off season surgery from Dr. Riley J. Williams III he'll be good to go.

I'm well aware of his past knee problems.

suffering from a bone contusion is unrelated to the other issues though.

lamscott
Analyst

Post#1539 » by lamscott » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Hey man. I'm not trying to argue with you. All I said was watch out for it. I've been saying it since I got on this thread to talk about Russell. You need to chill on that sensitivity. Hopefully its nothing. He had knee issues with the Lakers, he had "soreness" in that same knee last year than all of a sudden when on a 3 week hiatus to get a PRKP injection. I just said to watch out for it. If not, I don't care. Just trying to give you guys more insight. Sheesh.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/d-angelo-russell-injury-update-out-2-3-weeks-knee-injury-la-lakers/b56vmjo0h79y1a0fd9u6r8k8z

http://beta.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-dangelo-russell-sore-left-knee-20161122-story.html
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1540 » by moonpie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

I think it's something that we should address in the offseason in terms of the training staff working on strengthening the knees/lower body, hell even during the season on a lighter scale. Curry used to have ankle problems seemingly every year, but they seem to have gotten that fixed for the most part:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports

Return to Brooklyn Nets