Official D'Angelo Russell Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#921 » by Paradise » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Ian Eagle and Sarah Kustok on D’Lo predictions:

He's being told we want you to be a leader. We want you to do all the things you thought you could do in L.A., but maybe were restricted and we want you to be someone we can build around.

“So, if you know that going in, now it's up to him. Now, it's on him. He seems to have the right attitude, the right mindset. He's going to have to put whatever happened to him behind him for two years. And as you know, you've been around this league for so long, you play well, you show the rest of the league what you're all about, the headlines from previous years begin to drop down. That's how it works!”

His controversial and somewhat disappointing days with the Lakers could be a footnote to how he’s ultimately seen.

“Everybody's got a history. Everybody's got something from their younger days. That will not be his legacy. He can change it. He's so young! It's still early in his career and they're giving him the platform to do it.”

When Lowe asked if he thought Russell will start “right away,” Eagle seemed surprised, then added...

“I think Kenny Atkinson will try to create competition on his roster. I don't think he's handling any particular spots. And you're right, logic would dictate Jeremy Lin is going to be a starter. They both may start. That might be your backcourt and have interchangeable parts at that position.”

Atkinson in fact called for “competitive development” in his press conference on Monday and declined to talk about his starting lineup other than to say he has one “way back here,” pointing to his head.

Meanwhile, Sarah Kustok, Eagle’s new sidekick, told Howard Beck much the same thing about Russell. Like Eagle, Kustok spent a lot of time on a larger issue, her pioneering move to the full-time analyst job.

But she too talked about the team outlook and DLo’s new mindset.

“The fact that the Nets were able to get a lottery-type talent like D'Angelo Russell, 21 years old—I know he probably didn't have the first two seasons with the Lakers that he had hoped, that many had hoped and expected.

“But the opportunity, and I've gotten a chance to sit him down for some of our interviews—he's got a different mindset, he's got a chip on his shoulder, he's ready for a fresh start. You bring in a guy like that with a coach like Kenny Atkinson, who's looking to develop players—I just think that having that type of talent in the gym for the Nets makes a big difference.”

Kustok also expects “a lot of competition.”

“They're so... they're so loaded in the backcourt. You look at their roster, and I do think that part of Sean Marks' plan was acquiring talent. Less concerned about what positions do we need to fill, more about what's the best talent that we can bring in. So I think there will be a lot of competition.”

Bottom line for the new YES Network analyst? Improvement.

“The ability of what [Russell] can do, and then match that with an Allen Crabbe—you get a knockdown three-point shooter for as many threes as the Nets took last season, you've got a guy who's proven that he can shoot threes. DeMarre Carroll, I think the leadership that he brings. Will Caris LeVert make the big jump that people expect? He really only played the second half of last season; will he make the jump that people expect? Hopefully Jeremy Lin will stay healthy.”
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Official D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#922 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:19 am

^
That's good, real good. Work their tails off!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,846

Post#923 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:12 pm

training camp will be insane.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
SubZero
Junior
And1: 185

Post#924 » by SubZero » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#925 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

this is what I like to see. it will be a tough road ahead.

Paradise

Post#926 » by Paradise » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm

THE NY POST - D’Angelo Russell wants to be the new face of New York basketball

Read on Twitter

The Nets won’t hype an individual player as the face of the franchise, but D’Angelo Russell could become just that. And Kevin Boyle — the coach who knows him best — told The Post that with Carmelo Anthony gone, Russell could be the face of all New York hoops.

While Kenny Atkinson will be Russell’s fourth coach in four years, Boyle coached him for three seasons at Montverde Academy in Florida, winning national titles the last two, and he told The Post that Russell can be the foundation on which the Nets build.

“It was a couple years ago that situation happened,” Boyle said. “It’s time for everybody to move on. He could’ve handled it better than he handled it, but who doesn’t make mistakes at 20? He can be the new face of New York basketball. … D’Angelo has the potential to fill that void. … He’s more mature in how he’ll handle it.”

Brooklyn’s a great situation. I’d be stunned if he’s not a five-time All-Star,” Boyle said. “D’Angelo’s going to be a star in New York. … I’ve been telling him, ‘Make sure you embrace the community. New Yorkers are great people. They want somebody they can touch. [Make sure] it’s true, it’s genuine, it’s real. Do that, you’ll have a great career. They’re waiting for somebody to step up: You have that opportunity.’ ”

“I told him, ‘You did something that gave you incredible street cred in New York. It’s different from anyplace else. They love basketball, love somebody like you with a little swag. Now you’ve got to back it up, [have] the maturity to have the swag but keep it in balance, handle yourself professionally,’ ’’ Boyle said.

“They’ve been struggling, not winning as much as they want. Being a young player, if you can handle the losing, you can grow with this, be one of the main foundations — if not the main piece — that builds a playoff team.”

“He’s got to get after it more, get stronger,” Boyle said. “I tell him not just be one of the better offensive players, but you’ve got to control people on defense if you’re going to get where you want in the playoffs.

“The coach [needs a] strong relationship. The NBA can be very businesslike. He will not flourish if he doesn’t have a personal relationship with the coach — not kiss his [butt], but genuinely care about him on and off court. If he gets that, it’ll be a home run for the coach.”
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#927 » by steady » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 am

very psyched about JLin's comments today about DLos very high basketball IQ and the "phenomenal passing" he has shown in pickup games. Lin also said that figuring out how to play together may come along faster than anyone including hm had anticipated

Lin's a pretty straight talker. When he has talked up young players on other teams he has joined those players have generally worked out great
steady
Veteran

Post#928 » by steady » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:36 am

Paradise wrote:THE NY POST - D’Angelo Russell wants to be the new face of New York basketball

Read on Twitter

- - -

“The coach [needs a] strong relationship. The NBA can be very businesslike. He will not flourish if he doesn’t have a personal relationship with the coach — not kiss his [butt], but genuinely care about him on and off court. If he gets that, it’ll be a home run for the coach.”

And this is exactly the kind of coach KA is

This is why from Woj down the line, it feels like all of NBA is looking forward to seeing how Kenny develops DLo

And it's a two way street / think this is going to work out also because DLo is genuinely a very cool and authentic dude. The tweet exchange about being real, with Skil / exactly what I expect with DLo
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#929 » by Princeinrevolt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 am

steady wrote:very psyched about JLin's comments today about DLos very high basketball IQ and the "phenomenal passing" he has shown in pickup games. Lin also said that figuring out how to play together may come along faster than anyone including hm had anticipated

Lin's a pretty straight talker. When he has talked up young players on other teams he has joined those players have generally worked out great

Do you have a link for that interview?
steady
Veteran

Post#930 » by steady » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:52 am

Princeinrevolt wrote:
steady wrote:very psyched about JLin's comments today about DLos very high basketball IQ and the "phenomenal passing" he has shown in pickup games. Lin also said that figuring out how to play together may come along faster than anyone including hm had anticipated

near the end of below podcast they play the entirety of JLins comments today including those about DAngelo.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/9/25/16363538/the-glue-guys-media-day-review

Here's the quote
“I know how to play off the ball, he knows how to play off the ball. But his IQ is so high. Playing pickup, his passing is so phenomenal,” said Lin. “I think it’s going to be so much easier than maybe I had anticipated at first or other people had expected. I think you’re going to see us playing off of each other.”
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#931 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

Paradise wrote:THE NY POST - D’Angelo Russell wants to be the new face of New York basketball

Read on Twitter

“He’s got to get after it more, get stronger,” Boyle said. “I tell him not just be one of the better offensive players, but you’ve got to control people on defense if you’re going to get where you want in the playoffs.

Good suggestions.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#932 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:16 am

steady wrote:
Princeinrevolt wrote:

near the end of below podcast they play the entirety of JLins comments today including those about DAngelo.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/9/25/16363538/the-glue-guys-media-day-review

Here's the quote
“I know how to play off the ball, he knows how to play off the ball. But his IQ is so high. Playing pickup, his passing is so phenomenal,” said Lin. “I think it’s going to be so much easier than maybe I had anticipated at first or other people had expected. I think you’re going to see us playing off of each other.”

Well, Kenny did talk about playing them like Lillard and McCollum. Crab should help with that.
Thanks for the honesty.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#933 » by Ror1997 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 pm

I think Lin/DLo is more of Dragic/Bledsoe than Dame/CJ. The dragic/bledsoe backcourt led Phoenix to 49 wins out of absolutely nowhere too.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#934 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 am

Ror1997 wrote:I think Lin/DLo is more of Dragic/Bledsoe than Dame/CJ. The dragic/bledsoe backcourt led Phoenix to 49 wins out of absolutely nowhere too.

Cool, that's pretty good too.
Thanks for the honesty.
Paradise

Post#935 » by Paradise » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:35 am

Russell when asked what he expects people to be saying about the Nets a few weeks out. “I just wanna show we can play. I don’t wanna say something that’ll come back to bite me. I’ve learned that throughout the years. I just want to show my actions.”

19 Points, 4 assists in 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
steady
Veteran

Post#936 » by steady » Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:48 am

Just remembered that Knicks passed on chance to get DLo, because they wanted to draft Ntlinka
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#937 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 4, 2017 12:29 pm

Liked what I saw last night from Russell. Silky smooth stroke. I think he might be our best three point shooter. forget the percentages in LA, once he gets more looks and works on getting rid of some of the poor shot selection the % will be higher. even yestarday he had some ill advised quick trigger shots. but overall he looked really solid.

one thing he does need to work on is his right hand. both finishing with and and ball handling. he is good enough to go left even if you play him on it, but he needs to expand that right hand
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#938 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:53 pm

yeah, I'd say shot selection and he needs to stay focused in transition and off the ball defensively, he had 2 moments where he lost his assignment. those were two things that stood out that can be fixed.

everything else was on the money. he had some nice defensive plays too. Sean Marks looks like he picked Magic Johnson's pockets clean

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#939 » by Netaman » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:39 pm

It looks like he'll have no trouble replacing Brook's scoring. It would be impossible for him to be worse with the ball in his hands in the 2nd half when the game really matters, so i'd say it's looking very likely that Marks picked the Lakers pocket even beyond the obvious that he's almost 10 years younger with upside. The trade was more than just those 2 guys, but in terms of impact on the court this year for this team it is. Last night was really encouraging for a few reasons but none bigger then seeing what it can look like with a true go to scorer/distributor.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#940 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Oct 4, 2017 5:02 pm

Does anyone see some Mike Conley in his game?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets