Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Afro Samurai - The Official Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#741 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Paradise wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I can see the Marcus Camby comparison too...

For me that would be ironic. Personally I felt Brook Lopez was our Patrick Ewing(not as good i know) .... now Allen possibly being our Camby, that be crazy for me.

Now we need an Allan Houston...

Caris?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

mind is blowing!!!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Afro Samurai - The Official Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#742 » by Paradise » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter

twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Re: The 2017 NBA Draft Thread - Live from Barclays, 7PM EST (ESPN) 

Post#743 » by twosevenstreet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:02 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:he reminds me of someone... but who????

boy needs some muscle... hit that gym young fella

He reminds me of a young Tyson Chandler
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
twosevenstreet
Senior

Post#744 » by twosevenstreet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 pm

I made it on TV at 43 seconds of the video!!!!
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#745 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:

lol thats you? nice!

did u say "sh...t" in that response?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#746 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:39 pm

After Collins, Jarrett was the big with more tools to eventually be a possible starter, he lacks technique and consistency, but has the sort of length, fluidity and feel that you want from a big and has shown some facing up skills, I think he can be developed into a quality starter down the road, and a versatile one.

He is a better prospect than Giles, Bam or Patton that were drafted ahead of him.
twosevenstreet
Senior

Post#747 » by twosevenstreet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:

lol thats you? nice!

did u say "sh...t" in that response?

I said "Oh sh...t"

but I meant it like the mayor from the wire
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#748 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

If Jarrett Allen can put some on weight between now and pre-season, I would like to see him start over Mozgov. He played 32 minutes per game in college so I think that makes it easier for him. Not saying that he should be a 30 MPG starting center in his rookie season, but somewhere between 20-25 MPG as a starter is fine (assuming he can physically handle it). He's very raw offensively but I'm fine with that, Mason Plumlee was a success here as lob and dunk player, I think that role will be just fine for Allen in his rookie season.

Another thing worth mentioning is that he played in a crappy situation in college, where his team not only sucked but lacked floor spacing as they were an awful perimeter shooting team, and Allen mostly played PF. So even with a team like the Nets, the situation should be a lot better for him. Although despite his amazing wingspan and reach, he's a bit undersized for center at 6'10". Hopefully, at just 19, his height growth isn't over yet.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#749 » by jbeachboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 pm

anyone think he can win starting center job?
DartboardT
Junior
And1: 53

Post#750 » by DartboardT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 pm

If Allen has the hops, height won't be any real issue (due to his wingspan) nearly as much as his legs/playing weight/core strength.

Only based on highlights, but I was kinda amused how much "Brook Lopez" Allen has in his game. He can throw it down, but he also likes to pick-and-pop, sky hook, use his length to lean in for layups, etc. He's only 19 so his first NBA season is gonna be a trial by fire, but he's very fluid with the ball in his hands. I can see why Nets are excited they were able to get him.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#751 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I think Mozgov will be the starter at the beginning of the season. Maybe we'll see Allen take over at some point, but I'd put money on Moz getting 50%+ of the minutes until December at least.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Afro Samurai - The Official Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#752 » by Paradise » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:37 pm

The Presser

Combine interview w/ ESPN.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#753 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Paradise wrote:Combine interview w/ ESPN.

In this video, they showed how he ranked amongst centers at the combine:

Max vertical - 35.5" - 1st
Standing vertical - 31.5" - 1st
Lane agility - 11.82 sec - 3rd
3/4 Court Sprint - 3.21 sec - 1st
Shuttle Run - 2.99 sec - T-1st

In short, he already has the requisite base of athletic skills needed to excel at the NBA level.

I cross referenced his physical profile with Dwight Howard's pre-draft combine numbers and it's scary how very similar.

Allen
Height w/o Shoes: 6 9
Height w/ Shoes: 6 10 1/4
Weight: 234
Wingspan: 7 5 1/4
Standing Reach: 9 1 1/2
No Step Vert: 31.5
Max Vert: 35.5

Dwight
Height w/o Shoes: 6 9
Height w/ Shoes: 6 10 1/4
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7 4 1/2
Standing Reach: 9 3 1/2
No Step Vert: 30.5
Max Vert: 35.5

He also mentioned that he ran track for 2 years in high school which helped him with his speed and running form.

Kenny has been raving about Allen's ability to anticipate shots, challenge shots without fouling the offensive player, and to get to spots before the offensive player does. These are all things that Dwight did extremely well. Now obviously the NBA is on a whole different level compared to NCAA and high school. But this shows the trajectory of what the Nets are looking at at least from the defensive side.

The major question about Allen is his motor and whether he can play at a high level for long periods of time.

In the video that Dise posted, Fran Fischella talks about Allen's motor and how in the 1st half of the season he struggled with playing hard but he improved in the 2nd half of the season. Allen's response was that coach told him he was pressing too much and worried about all of the things he was doing wrong or couldn't do yet. Once his coach told him to just focus on what he does well and the other things would eventually come, it freed him up and things came easier to him.

I'm saying all of this to point out that Allen has everything he needs to become an excellent defensive player. When I critiqued him for his jumping ability, I was obviously ignorant of the fact that he actually had the highest standing vert and max vertical of all centers.

But what this probably means is that his endurance and knowledge of how to play through fatigue is the roadblock keeping him from showing off elite defensive capabilities all of the time. Kenny has already talked about how the performance staff will put him through the paces to improve his stamina and endurance.

In short, I'm really excited about this kid's future. And I didn't talk about his potential on offense!
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#754 » by steady » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for all info everyone! I am so stoked about this draft pick! Maybe as much as D'Angelo Russell, and I am pretty majorly stoked about that.

... I was wondering why everything I heard about him was hitting me so much like, this is exactly what the Nets need, and then I read about how happy Kenny was with the pickup. "It's not often you get the guy"

“It’s rare when you get your guy, and that’s what makes me so excited, we got our guy,” Atkinson explained at Friday’s press conference. “Credit to Sean and his group, obviously they’re doing the work all year long. When I was watching games, I mean, you just know, it’s like seeing a beautiful girl. He’s a system fit, I know you’ve heard that a lot from us – he does everything we want in a big player; runs the court, defends the rim, has great timing, great feel for the game … I was really impressed with his passing. I’m up here pinching myself, we got a heck of a player, a heck of a young man.” :D
steady
Veteran

Post#755 » by steady » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 pm

And from SMarks

“He was a lot higher on our board, he was a guy that we targeted,” Marks said Friday without revealing specifics. “We certainly looked to move up in the draft to get him, and actually we didn’t have to move up.”

“The scouting department did a tremendous job in narrowing our focus down. The fact that you get a key player that you target, I think it’s pretty rare. Throughout the course of last year, really getting to know the people around Jarrett; how he socializes with them, the make-up of the young man, talking to coaches. It starts to give you this 360 view of what he’s all about. We were impressed the whole way along.”
steady
Veteran

Post#756 » by steady » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm

Has someone posted the video of his highlight dunk from last season - it is truly insane how high he gets off the ground! It's like he's some kind of superhero.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#757 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 pm

His main nickname is still Soul Glo. Alternate will be Afro Samurai.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#758 » by 624 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 am

I dream of Ian Eagle yelling "DLo to Soul Glo!"

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,893

Post#759 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:19 am

I really like this kid's attitude.

He seems humble and ready to learn. That's a very important thing. Makes me more confident that he will succeed.
steady
Veteran

Post#760 » by steady » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:38 am

Mkdaman1818 wrote:Presser just ended, with Kenny, Sean, and Jarrett. Couple observations:

-Kenny loves his versatility, his speed. Side note: I love the transparency and color that Kenny provides when he discusses his team and players. His insights are night and day compared to Lionel hollins' stupidity and cliches. You can tell he gets it.

-I love Jarrett's self awareness and humility. Compared to top picks like josh Jackson and his dumbass Rolex last night, he seems to understand he's part of a unit and he's only gonna stick if he improves. He highlighted the fact that he needs to bulk up and increase strength, and overall needs to work on his game. Seems like he has the maturity of say... a Tim Duncan.

I love this pick even more, and can't wait to see him develop.

Yes - Tim DuncaN

Return to Brooklyn Nets