ImageImageImageImageImage

Soul Glo, the Afro Samurai - The Jarrett Allen Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: Afro Samurai - The Official Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#761 » by 13th Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 am

I'm liking this pick as well. He does have some offensive skills under the basket, I like the reverse scoop layup. Also has a mid-range baseline jumper too. But his biggest impact to the team will be his defensive presence and on the boards.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Afro Samurai - The Official Jarrett Allen Thread 

Post#762 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 am

I told folks awhile ago that Marks wanted to build a team with length defensively like Milwaukee but offensive continuity like the Spurs. It's taking shape.

Allen - 6'11" / 7'5" wingspan
RHJ - 6'7" / 7'2" wingspan
'Vert - 6'7" / 7'0" wingspan
D'Lo - 6'5" / 7'0" wingspan
Widdie - 6'6" / 6'8" wingspan
Whitehead - 6'4" / 6'8" wingspan

Nets were 7th in Defensive rating after all-star break and took the best defensive C in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: The 2017 NBA Draft Thread - Nets Select Jarrett Allen 

Post#763 » by steady » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:52 am

DartboardT wrote:Strange but true!

Read on Twitter

OMG! So true
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#764 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 am

Rich Rane wrote:Does well defending PnR, running the floor, rebounding, and doing cleanup.

13th Man wrote:

Call me crazy, but after watching this, I think there's an offensive base the coaching staff could develop here.

Does he set good picks and can he PnR?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#765 » by Princeinrevolt » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am

Paradise wrote:Nets were 7th in Defensive rating after all-star break

That is beautiful!!!! I'm not used to this. :D
DartboardT
Junior
And1: 53

Post#766 » by DartboardT » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:15 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Does well defending PnR, running the floor, rebounding, and doing cleanup.

13th Man wrote:

Call me crazy, but after watching this, I think there's an offensive base the coaching staff could develop here.

I'm...sure he can be taught to, if not? He's fluid on the court so the basic footwork certainly seems to be there.
Paradise

Post#767 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:25 am

ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#768 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:28 am

Rockice_24 wrote:First reaction to the pick was meh. Didn't do a ton of reach on him because I thought he was going to be long gone. Didn't like the brief stuff I saw on him because I read he had no offensive game other than dunks and what he should do well rebound and block shots he was average at. Add to that he wasn't aggressive and his IQ was lacking and I wasn't impressed.

So as soon as we draft him I start watching more film and I must say I am extremely impressed. The frame and athletic ability are top notch. He is a modern day center with great movement ability to defend the PnR. Even if he has to slump off the elite guards some his length will still contest shots. He needs to build up strength but at 19 that will come. Still though there are very few back to the basket pound the post type players so his weakness will not get exposed night in and night out. That brings me to his average rebounding and shot blocking numbers. If you look deeper into it though there are signs to hang your hat on. One he played PF in college which is a joke. Covering stretch 4's in college certainly hurt his positioning. Playing closer to the basket in the NBA should help in that regard. With the right coaching (which we certainly have) he should flourish as an anchor to our defense with great help defense and solid rebounding.

Now on to the weakest part of his game offense. He has little range but he's got an effortless stroke which gives hope for at least an elbow jumper and good FT% for the future. KA is a developmental wiz and you never know if he can get him shooting three's in the future but for now if a K-Mart consistent elbow jumper comes and he hits a good clip from the line that is more than enough. Offensively inside he is nearly elite finishing at the rim already. He obviously can throw it down with his size and vertical but he is very underrated with two equally solid baby hooks with either hand. Add to that a soft touch on the move and he should not be a Drummond/Jordan type offensive player. Right now outside of the jumper with some added strength and learning how to keep the ball away from swiping guards down low he should be an immediate contributor on both ends.

Projections
Ceiling - Rudy Gobert - Elite defense and shot blocker with good offense and a nice FT touch.
Floor: JaVale McGee - Athlete with no IQ bench big at best
Most Likely: Tyson Chandler - Chandler would be a great comp for him. Chandler was a very good finisher around the rim and worked very nice in the PnR. He was a mini double double guy with 10 and 10 with elite defense. If Allen can become Chandler I think we'll all be thrilled with a 12 and 10 with 1.5 block career even though we hope for closer to Rudy with 15, 12 and 2.5 blocks.

Fact is his ceiling is high and despite C's not being a major part of the NBA game his movement ability makes him a modern day C. I love this upside of this pick and I think he has the drive to reach his ceiling. Can't wait to watch a lineup of Lin, Russ, Levert, RHJ and Allen play next year.

Lineup:
Lin/Dinwiddie/Goodwin
Russell/IW/Harris
Levert/SKIL/KJ
RHJ/Booker/ACY
Allen/Moz/Nicholson

Dang, Tyson Chandler would be awesome, Linsanity!

Chandler was no.2 pick? How come Jar dropped so much?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#769 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 am

DartboardT wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

I'm...sure he can be taught to, if not? He's fluid on the court so the basic footwork certainly seems to be there.

Lets hope so, being able to set mean picks without fouling would be huge.
Thanks for the honesty.
Paradise

Post#770 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:35 am

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#771 » by 13th Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:53 am

DartboardT wrote:Strange but true!

Read on Twitter

LMAO! I thought for sure it was Lin doing a voice-over for him.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#772 » by Shark » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 am

The form on his jumper isn't half bad.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,053

Post#773 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:07 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Tyson Chandler was no. 2 pick for the same reason Kwame Brown went 1 and Eddie Curry went 4 - HS players were all the rage and everyone was looking for the next Shaq or Duncan. It was also a pretty crap draft that year.

As for why Allen fell in this year's draft I think it's a few factors that we've all heard in the "negatives" of his scouting reports. He's an unfinished product who didn't have dominant production and some question how much he loves basketball. Also, and possibly because of the 2001 draft and others like it, the trend since has been to go away from young bigs that need a lot of development and the center position has become de-emphasized. So add all that up with what appears to have been a deep draft and we got a guy who has a lot of tools.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#774 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 am

Netaman wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Tyson Chandler was no. 2 pick for the same reason Kwame Brown went 1 and Eddie Curry went 4 - HS players were all the rage and everyone was looking for the next Shaq or Duncan. It was also a pretty crap draft that year.

As for why Allen fell in this year's draft I think it's a few factors that we've all heard in the "negatives" of his scouting reports. He's an unfinished product who didn't have dominant production and some question how much he loves basketball. Also, and possibly because of the 2001 draft and others like it, the trend since has been to go away from young bigs that need a lot of development and the center position has become de-emphasized. So add all that up with what appears to have been a deep draft and we got a guy who has a lot of tools.

Cool, interesting that Bam, Patton and Giles are lower in the Draftexpress mock draft but got drafted before him.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#775 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 am

Ror1997 wrote:This guy is our Tim Duncan

Just playing

No I'm not.

Is he?
Thanks for the honesty.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#776 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am

I remember when Derrick Favors was seen as a young kid by a lot of people when he was drafted by the Nets. Allen is 4 months younger than Favors.

He's got a lot of time to grow. We'll also need to be patient with him. Every player has bumps in the road in the first few years of their career.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#777 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Paradise wrote:
Nets were 7th in Defensive rating after all-star break and took the best defensive C in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

The best defensive bigs in the draft were Isaac and ZCollins, Allen is the next, but he is less of a certain thing
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#778 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:37 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:I remember when Derrick Favors was seen as a young kid by a lot of people when he was drafted by the Nets. Allen is 4 months younger than Favors.

He's got a lot of time to grow. We'll also need to be patient with him. Every player has bumps in the road in the first few years of their career.

I was thinking the same thing. Like watching his HS highlights, he's just a kid. He still is. And he's insanely good. Give this kid like 3-5 more years, he's gonna be a freaking man in the paint.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#779 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Paradise wrote:The Presser

Combine interview w/ ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Just watched his presser. The kid is super articulate. Seems very genuine too. Glad we got him. Now it's time to put in the work. Eager to see what he'll do in summer league.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,053

Post#780 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Summer league should be awesome. Allen - RHJ - LeVert - Whitehead - Dinwiddie with Goodwin as 6th man is a stacked SL lineup. I hope Atkinson challenges them to absolutely wreck people.

Return to Brooklyn Nets