ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-2018 Brooklyn Nets Season Win Total Predictions

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: 2017-2018 Brooklyn Nets Season Win Total Predictions 

Post#121 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 am

I'm changing my pick to an optimistic 30 wins! The team has much better depth than last year.
sprost
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#122 » by sprost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 am

Sticking right with my 44 win total as before which already is amusingly way above the norm and everyone else:

Already made that prediction thinking Marks with all that cap space would use it to nominally improve the team, and thats pretty much all Crabbe probably does. I'm not as negative on him as Prok and a few others
[he won't dip as far in 3ptrs with DLO and Lin feeding him as Prok thinks, won't be as dismal on this team on defense nor as exclusively catch-and-shoot based on Blazers dynamics]...
...but he clearly will not move the needle on playmaking or defense, will be stealing some minutes from Levert who its at least 50-50 would have made HUGE leaps forward this year, and also have to discount having such a hi quality catch-and-shoot 3 ptr with the fact that he's really much more a 2 than a 3 until now, despite all the slightly exaggerated hip talk of "postionless bb" and "there's only bigs and wings and ballhandlers now".

In fact, I'm still banking on a significant add of a big for that 44, but with all the cap space used up am hanging tight with my 44 since the stellar reliable 3pt catch-and-shooter is offset with less confidence of being able to move the needle much with a big that truly helps to make a difference in rebounding/defense.

In sum, I remain confident of 44 in the East -- I think this was a 32 win team with a healthy Lin and late season Levert LAST year [remember Lin only played 36 games and remember those 1-27 days without him, Foye/Skil/rookie-whitehead PG follies] and with changes to that late season team in this offseason think they take a big 12-win step forward this yr (in a weakened East) with constant outstanding ballhandlers/playmakers/shooters on the court and exponentially better bench, more speed and much better PNR and PNR defense.

Confident Lin will shine like never before and won't take long, despite the starters playing together for the first time in large part, for everyone to realize this fun hungry speedy young team with unselfish cooperation improving defense will start out almost as a 50% winning team, and go beyond that as they gel as the season progresses to ruin the well-schemed plans of future-development-assetcollection-mantra people of trading Lin for assets at the trade deadline/midseason when the team is extremely popular led by Lin as a Cinderella-team leading NBA story, and playoff hopes clearly at stake. Only possible wrinkle: if they allow DLO to dominate signficantly more than the better shooter/ballhandler/playmaking-driving-to-the-rim Lin in the name of future development and Lin gets closer to 25 mpg rather than 30 mpg, it'll be closer to a 38 win team but even then by around midseason it will become obvious enough that Lin should lead as PG/ballhandler with greater efficiency/consistency and Nets will be in clear win-now rather than develop-for-the-future mode.

Sorry to bore you all with this, right now most thinking 'who gives a rip about your nutty over-zealous-Lin-fan prediction' but want to have this on the record for later for bragging rights that I had my reasons and wasn't just a lucky baseless guess on my part when it shakes out this way as I'm fully confident it will. And in the longer run for this team being a winner for years to come, will prove opposed to all the highbrow 5-yr-plan asset-collectors that there's no better plan for the future than winning NOW, taking advantage of that salary cap space NOW as Marks did, and thus continuing to attract (and keep) quality players/FAs to the young, exciting, winning culture with a very upward trajectory. The same gaggle of people who see themselves as the more sophisticated NBA-watchers now looking forward to trading Lin for assets now or midseason in order to be a really good team some years down the road will change their tune by midseason and when they say "who could have predicted?", I'll trot this out.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#123 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:12 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I think Crabbe may give us a boost and we might not be done roster wise. Are we allowed to change our predictions before October?

I dont think Crabbe adds anything to our wins ceiling...

i think he does effect our floor though. We now have more shooting depth. last year when harris went down and bogs was traded we didnt have much shooting at all. we can sustain injury better from a shooting standpoint now

Fair assessment imo.

i think we will win 32 games.

added three point shooters, lots of parts that can move in and out, a possible go to guy in Russell, Lin being legit two way, 36% 3PT shooter type. defensively as long as guys buy in to move their damn feet, we can switch on everything.

i think that we will not only be one of the most entertaining teams to watch this season, but due to the weakness of the east and just the tenacity of this group, we will make some noise.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#124 » by brook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm

After this trade we have 10 playmakers/wings and only 5 bigs, and Allen maybe isn't ready for day 1.

You think will be another move? Maybe waive Goodwin, or trade Kilpatrick, and then get a big?

Maybe Marks back again to the crime scene and get Motiejunas for a few dollars?

Or maybe we are going small from the beginning, I don't see Carroll or Crabbe coming of the bench with those contracts, something like this:

combo guards: Lin - Russell (Dinwiddie, Whitehead, Kilpatrick, Goodwin)

SF: Crabbe (LeVert, Harris)

PF: Carroll (RHJ, Acy)

C: Mozgov (Booker, Allen)
oldjim
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#125 » by oldjim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 pm

brook wrote:After this trade we have 10 playmakers/wings and only 5 bigs, and Allen maybe isn't ready for day 1.

You think will be another move? Maybe waive Goodwin, or trade Kilpatrick, and then get a big?

Or maybe we are going small from the beginning, I don't see Carroll or Crabbe coming of the bench with those contracts, something like this:

if we start both Russell , Crabbe and Carroll, we will have 3 big problem
1.Defense : these three player played bad defense last season.
2. Rebound : They were not good rebounder.
3. penetration ability : They are only shooter, good on shooting 3, but none of them have the ability to attack rim , drive to the lane and break the defense.

So we need RHJ in the starting lineup , to help defense, to help rebound, and he has the ability to break the defense, although not very good. We have only Lin play good defense and penetration ability , we need RHJ in the starting lineup..
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#126 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I think Crabbe may give us a boost and we might not be done roster wise. Are we allowed to change our predictions before October?

i think he does effect our floor though. We now have more shooting depth. last year when harris went down and bogs was traded we didnt have much shooting at all. we can sustain injury better from a shooting standpoint now

Fair assessment imo.

added three point shooters, lots of parts that can move in and out, a possible go to guy in Russell, Lin being legit two way, 36% 3PT shooter type. defensively as long as guys buy in to move their damn feet, we can switch on everything.

i think that we will not only be one of the most entertaining teams to watch this season, but due to the weakness of the east and just the tenacity of this group, we will make some noise.

It is so hard to predict because there are so many wide ranging factors:

How good/bad will we be on defense. With bogs here we were awful. Crabbe is similar on defense and russell doesnt have a good defensive rep. Mozgov is a big help with others as we can probably defend the 1-5 pick and roll better. I dont see us being close to what we finsihed last year defensively since we wont have LEvert/RHJ/McDaniels/Goodwin getting as much burn as the end of last year although obviously levert and RHJ will play alot.

What will we get from russell? a breakout 3rd year? moderate improvement? he could be a star or solid or just what he was last year? that would make a huge difference depending how it goes.

What will crabbe look like with more volume? closer to 45% or 40% or less? Will we struggle offensively at times as kenny encourages crabbe to create more for himself like we saw with RHJ last year? we know he will let guys play through struggles.

What does carroll look like? do we play him more then 25 minutes? hard to see it with the huge logjam of young guys who need minutes and a focus on development.

how much does dinwiddie play? whitehead? do they take a step back with less minutes/inconsistent minutes? do hey continue t improve?

what does mozgov give us? can he add the three and give us 82+ makes on 30+ percent?

gut feeling is we will be really bad defensively and overall inconsistent especially the first half of the year because we have so many new and so many young guys who will need to be shuffled in and out mintues wise.

but also.. we have so many guys who need to improve. and kenny seems to find the best way to do that is to encouarge them to work on their weak spots in games and let them play through strugglels.

i think im still at like 27 wins. although i think sub 20 wins is off the table adding carroll and crabbe.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#127 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 pm

brook wrote:After this trade we have 10 playmakers/wings and only 5 bigs, and Allen maybe isn't ready for day 1.

this is a question i posed in the other thread. last year we had all small/minimum deals. so it was easy to just develop guys and do whats best for their development and not worry about the investment since they all made peanuts.

now... can you sit crabbe if say Harris or goodwin or kilpatrick or whitehead is showing huge strides? im not sure. this is the first time marks has a pricetag to be judged on. to me i think he accepts the criticism and they will sit him if its best for the group.. but i dont know firs ttime its been a factor.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#128 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:45 pm

oldjim wrote:

if we start both Russell , Crabbe and Carroll, we will have 3 big problem
1.Defense : these three player played bad defense last season.
2. Rebound : They were not good rebounder.
3. penetration ability : They are only shooter, good on shooting 3, but none of them have the ability to attack rim , drive to the lane and break the defense.

So we need RHJ in the starting lineup , to help defense, to help rebound, and he has the ability to break the defense, although not very good. We have only Lin play good defense and penetration ability , we need RHJ in the starting lineup..

I think our Best Lineup is:

Lin, Russell, Levert (or Carrol), RHJ, Mozgov

thats our best 2 way lineup. and you really cant afford to have one of Lin/Russell on the bench. we need 2 guys who can get their own shot and create offense. if levert can hit 35% from three you want him in there... or if carroll looks like atlanta carroll, he is better there from a wins standpoint.

From a wins standpoint... hard to see crabbe and russell start. if we do that then we really need to go alll offense and punt defense like: Lin, russell, crabbe, levert, mozgov. go super small and dont worry about rebounding or defense and play insanely fast.
reelsgm
Junior
And1: 71

Post#129 » by reelsgm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm

1-Lin
2-DAR
3-CRBB
4-DMC
5-MOZ

If that is the starting lineup, and as it stands could very well be - just by the average age increase over the starters most of last season -- that means only the most blindly devoted "Development Over Winning" die-hards will still make an argument that Brooklyn doesn't care about winning in the coming season.
"I don't like the word REBUILD... I know Kenny and everyone at some point that word has floated around... I want it to happen NOW" - JLIN
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#130 » by shakendfries » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 pm

1. Lin/DAR/Din
2. LeV/IW
3. CRB/DMC
4. RHJ/BOK
5. MOZ/JA

Allen Crabbe will be to the Nets what Harrison Barnes was to the Warriors

Prediction: 42-38
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#131 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm

reelsgm wrote:1-Lin
2-DAR
3-CRBB
4-DMC
5-MOZ

If that is the starting lineup, and as it stands could very well be - just by the average age increase over the starters most of last season -- that means only the most blindly devoted "Development Over Winning" die-hards will still make an argument that Brooklyn doesn't care about winning in the coming season.

Russell and crabbe are our 2 most important players to develop. Russell because he has the highest ceiling and crabbe because he is our highest paid player.

If levert, RHJ, dinwiddie, Whitehead, Allen see minimal time and arent allowed to play through mistakes or dont ever play in crunch time then yea... we have shifted to winning over development.

i see dlo/crabbe/levert/rhj all seeing 25-28 minutes and all allowed ot play through struggles sacraficing wins like last year

we will see.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#132 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm

shakendfries wrote:1. Lin/DAR/Din
2. LeV/IW
3. CRB/DMC
4. RHJ/BOK
5. MOZ/JA

now all we need is curry, thompson, draymond, and iggy to draw away attention :D
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#133 » by shakendfries » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:1. Lin/DAR/Din
2. LeV/IW
3. CRB/DMC
4. RHJ/BOK
5. MOZ/JA

now all we need is curry, thompson, draymond, and iggy to draw away attention :D

jokes aside the Nets are positioning themselves as a run n gun team. i'm expecting to see more games like this from the Nets this year

than those nights where everyone gets open looks but things fall apart in the 3rd when they simply can't put the ball in the bucket

the Hawks won 60 games in the East with this identity, and the Nets are similarly skilled with a younger/more athletic core than the Teague/Korver/DMC/Milsap/Horford Hawks were
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#134 » by steady » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:

this is a question i posed in the other thread. last year we had all small/minimum deals. so it was easy to just develop guys and do whats best for their development and not worry about the investment since they all made peanuts.

now... can you sit crabbe if say Harris or goodwin or kilpatrick or whitehead is showing huge strides? im not sure. this is the first time marks has a pricetag to be judged on. to me i think he accepts the criticism and they will sit him if its best for the group.. but i dont know firs ttime its been a factor.

My bet is that the Nets top three priorities in terms of player development are DAR, LeVert and Crabbe, in some order. Crabbe's going to get a lot of latititde not so much because of price tag but bc they believe in his potential and what he can bring to team .... and they are on the record for that too :-)
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#135 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Fair assessment imo.

It is so hard to predict because there are so many wide ranging factors:

How good/bad will we be on defense. With bogs here we were awful. Crabbe is similar on defense and russell doesnt have a good defensive rep. Mozgov is a big help with others as we can probably defend the 1-5 pick and roll better. I dont see us being close to what we finsihed last year defensively since we wont have LEvert/RHJ/McDaniels/Goodwin getting as much burn as the end of last year although obviously levert and RHJ will play alot.

What will we get from russell? a breakout 3rd year? moderate improvement? he could be a star or solid or just what he was last year? that would make a huge difference depending how it goes.

What will crabbe look like with more volume? closer to 45% or 40% or less? Will we struggle offensively at times as kenny encourages crabbe to create more for himself like we saw with RHJ last year? we know he will let guys play through struggles.

What does carroll look like? do we play him more then 25 minutes? hard to see it with the huge logjam of young guys who need minutes and a focus on development.

how much does dinwiddie play? whitehead? do they take a step back with less minutes/inconsistent minutes? do hey continue t improve?

what does mozgov give us? can he add the three and give us 82+ makes on 30+ percent?

gut feeling is we will be really bad defensively and overall inconsistent especially the first half of the year because we have so many new and so many young guys who will need to be shuffled in and out mintues wise.

but also.. we have so many guys who need to improve. and kenny seems to find the best way to do that is to encouarge them to work on their weak spots in games and let them play through strugglels.

i think im still at like 27 wins. although i think sub 20 wins is off the table adding carroll and crabbe.

I expect inconsistency and youth to still get us into trouble. I think if we can maintain good health we should see defensive improvement. All questions and concerns you have are valid. I say best case we definitely can get into 28-32 win territory, which would be a successful season for us as we continue to claw our way out of the crapper.

Sub 20 wins is way off the table....we'd have to have serious injuries for that to happen.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#136 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:29 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Really suprised at all the high win totals.

the average win total is 32 wins.

Last year the wolves had 31 wins. the wolves young players had MONSTER breakout seasons as well.

Towns 25/12
Wiggins 24/5
Rubio 12/9
Dieng 10/8/2

i mean... they balled out and didnt win 32 games... with much better talent, and a good coach going all out to win games

Wolves play in the West so its not really comparable. Also they are a bad example because they clearly underachieved.

I think the Nets have been so bad for so long that we act like 32 wins is a big deal.

32 wins is still a terrible season. I don't see how its such a stretch to see us win 32 in the worst Eastern Conference of all time.

Teams make jumps like that all the time.

I don't think it was so surprising, young teams make mistakes. They could never hold leads in the fourth, it's like that for most rebuilding teams, even ones with elite prospects. How many seasons did it take for OKC to start winning more games than losing them?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#137 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 am

I'm gonna stick to my prediction if they're gonna start both DRuss and Crab. These two are both inexperienced (one in winning and one in starting) and have suspect D. It's gonna take a while for them to be able to stop elite wings.

To win now, you put one of them on the bench and start DMC. That should up the win total. So this in itself could be seen as a development over winning move.

But it's good for the long run, let hope it works out sooner than later. Meanwhile, we could enjoy the offense.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#138 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:04 pm

That Crabbe deal came lot of nowhere. Considering we didn't touch a single rotation piece for him, I'd have to revisit my prediction but I'll wait until next week. Marks might pull another rabbit out the hat.

I also think scheduling plays a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Palmeirense
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#139 » by Palmeirense » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am

i'll go with 33-49

Props to Jeff1624 for the sig
DartboardT
Junior
And1: 53

Post#140 » by DartboardT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Crabbe already shoots the lights out from three. Not much development needed there. ;)

steady wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

My bet is that the Nets top three priorities in terms of player development are DAR, LeVert and Crabbe, in some order. Crabbe's going to get a lot of latititde not so much because of price tag but bc they believe in his potential and what he can bring to team .... and they are on the record for that too :-)

Return to Brooklyn Nets