Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Re: The Official Lin Net Thread III 

Post#41 » by Ror1997 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Paradise wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Nah, it was Lin/Harden/Parsons/M. Morris/Asik.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Its Patterson. Check at 30 seconds into the video. Patterson started almost 50 games that year

Yep. You're right.

Lin / Beverley / Brooks
Harden / J. Anderson
Parsons / Morris / Delfino
Patterson / Jones
Asik / Montiejunas

D'Lo / Crabbe both operate with the similar skill sets as Harden/Parsons offensively and both like to shoot around the same areas on the floor. Harden is a lot more comfortable as a left/right wing shooter because he's a lefty. Same for Russell and 13' Parsons liked to spot up in the corners just like Allen Crabbe.

Yea, that Crabbe/Parsons comparison really jumps at me. There's definitely a lot of similarities between the nets and that rockets team.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#42 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 am

Ror1997 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:
Its Patterson. Check at 30 seconds into the video. Patterson started almost 50 games that year

Yep. You're right.

Lin / Beverley / Brooks
Harden / J. Anderson
Patterson / Jones
Asik / Montiejunas

D'Lo / Crabbe both operate with the similar skill sets as Harden/Parsons offensively and both like to shoot around the same areas on the floor. Harden is a lot more comfortable as a left/right wing shooter because he's a lefty. Same for Russell and 13' Parsons liked to spot up in the corners just like Allen Crabbe.

Yea, that Crabbe/Parsons comparison really jumps at me. There's definitely a lot of similarities between the nets and that rockets team.

they are almost nothing alike... Parsons used to be a pretty good defender in his rookie season, he slacked off after that because he wanted to get paid, but he is still average level defender.... he upped his offense a lot after his rookie season... he has become a pretty good playmaker at his position, arguably one of the best when healthy, the dude got a max deal for a reason... he is also an uncanny off ball mover, he runs the floor very well... his spot threes are good, but he is not in the shooter category... he is just an all around versatile player who can play multiple positions with high BB IQ... health derailed his career, but he got paid...
Crabbe at best can develop to be a 3&D player, he is no Parsons...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#43 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 am

Paradise wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Nah, it was Lin/Harden/Parsons/M. Morris/Asik.

Yep. You're right.

Lin / Beverley / Brooks
Harden / J. Anderson
Patterson / Jones
Asik / Montiejunas

Patterson was the starter. Morris was the spot starter when Patterson was injured... Then both of them were traded during the course of the season... Patterson was traded to the Kings for TRob... Marcus was traded to Suns, reunited with his twin brother...
There were a lot players in the 12-13 rockets, since Daryl Morey, the ultimate trader, is the Rockets GM...
I'd hope the Nets will play like the 12-13 rockets, that's one of the most fun Rockets squad to watch... the team was so young, so coach McHale devised a simple approach, let Harden and Lin push the tempo, just run the floor, hit tons of threes... their best defense was their offense..
but I doubt the Nets can have the similar success even if they play the same way, first, the talent level is not the same, there is no Harden in Nets, Harden was a top 10 level player in that season...Parson was very good too, Lin is a wash... and Asik was one of the best big men defenders, he single handedly lifted the rockets defense to a different level... and the depth ... that Rockets squad is just head and shoulder above the current Nets squad..
second, Kenny would not play that way either, he would not allow Lin and DLo to dominate the ball... Kenny does like to push the tempo, in different ways though...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Nothing unrealistic about that take, I can see Marks doing that but I don't know which contender would offer a 1st for Lin who is essentially an expiring. Interesting that he sees us hitting the over.

A plausible take from Ruocco. He thinks that the Nets will win over the 28.5 over/under but could see the Nets record being derailed if they decide to trade Lin to a contender for a pick.

If the Nets are heading for 40 wins (i.e., playoffs 8th seed contention), I just don't see Marks pulling the trigger on a trade that would then set the Nets back to 25 win level unless it's for a high 1st round pick. But like MDB said, I don't see a contender offering a 1st for Lin. We also already have the Toronto 2018 pick.

if the Nets trend towards 40 I seriously doubt that Lin goes anywhere.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#45 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 am

hood30 wrote:Haven't been following the off-season for some time but noticed that a lot of people are penciling Lin as the starting PG..Was wondering whether this is now fact that Lin was going to mainly handle the PG while DLo moves to SG?

Russell will function as a scoring SG. Lin most likely takes the better match up on defense in the backcourt.

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#46 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 am

Ror1997 wrote:Their starting 5 was

Lin/Harden/Parsons/Patterson/Asik

Is that not Lin/DLo/Crabbe/RHJ/Mosgov?

Both teams do run and gun too.

If Moz can shoot threes, that could offset RHJ's inability to shoot.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#47 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:

Yep. You're right.

Lin / Beverley / Brooks
Harden / J. Anderson
Patterson / Jones
Asik / Montiejunas

Patterson was the starter. Morris was the spot starter when Patterson was injured... Then both of them were traded during the course of the season... Patterson was traded to the Kings for TRob... Marcus was traded to Suns, reunited with his twin brother...
There were a lot players in the 12-13 rockets, since Daryl Morey, the ultimate trader, is the Rockets GM...
I'd hope the Nets will play like the 12-13 rockets, that's one of the most fun Rockets squad to watch... the team was so young, so coach McHale devised a simple approach, let Harden and Lin push the tempo, just run the floor, hit tons of threes... their best defense was their offense..
but I doubt the Nets can have the similar success even if they play the same way, first, the talent level is not the same, there is no Harden in Nets, Harden was a top 10 level player in that season...Parson was very good too, Lin is a wash... and Asik was one of the best big men defenders, he single handedly lifted the rockets defense to a different level... and the depth ... that Rockets squad is just head and shoulder above the current Nets squad..
second, Kenny would not play that way either, he would not allow Lin and DLo to dominate the ball... Kenny does like to push the tempo, in different ways though...

That team sneaked into the playoffs in the Wild West. This team might be able to sneak into the playoff in the Least?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach

Post#48 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
Paradise wrote:Yep. You're right.

Lin / Beverley / Brooks
Harden / J. Anderson
Patterson / Jones
Asik / Montiejunas

That team sneaked into the playoffs in the Wild West. This team might be able to sneak into the playoff in the Least?

you'd hope so... I just like the run and gun style, let your best playmakers dominate the ball, a lot fast breaks...
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#49 » by steady » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 am

SI

JEREMY LIN, NETS
While slightly miscast (though not altogether unqualified) as a starter for the Nets, Lin added to an already sturdy body of work last season. The book is out on Lin. Teams know when to make him shoot and how to apply pressure—areas of Lin’s game where he is prone to mistakes. Still he dashes his way through pick-and-rolls, first putting a defender on their heels and then pushing past them. There is always a use for a creator of Lin’s talents. Better balanced teams than Brooklyn have shown that even moderate spacing can give Lin critical breathing room on his drives to the basket. And every year he learns more about what makes him effective and how to best leverage it. Lin has never been more productive on a per-minute basis than he was in the 36 games he played for the Nets last season—his supernova stint with the Knicks included. This could be a big year for Lin’s future Top 100 candidacy. — RM

SI can never get over wanting Lin to be a back up PG ... :-).
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#50 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 am

Hope he gets thru the dealing with mistakes stage and becomes freer to make risky passes yet doesn't turn the ball over as much.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#51 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

steady wrote:SI

JEREMY LIN, NETS
While slightly miscast (though not altogether unqualified) as a starter for the Nets, Lin added to an already sturdy body of work last season. The book is out on Lin. Teams know when to make him shoot and how to apply pressure—areas of Lin’s game where he is prone to mistakes. Still he dashes his way through pick-and-rolls, first putting a defender on their heels and then pushing past them. There is always a use for a creator of Lin’s talents. Better balanced teams than Brooklyn have shown that even moderate spacing can give Lin critical breathing room on his drives to the basket. And every year he learns more about what makes him effective and how to best leverage it. Lin has never been more productive on a per-minute basis than he was in the 36 games he played for the Nets last season—his supernova stint with the Knicks included. This could be a big year for Lin’s future Top 100 candidacy. — RM

Swear to god, Lin's mistakes are imo due to fatigue because i notice they happen late in the 4th. he needs to pace himself.

I don't know how he was "miscast" when he was the 2nd best player on the team last season and gave us a massive boost when he returned.

And the thing about his shooting...what was this guy watching? Lin was knocking down bombs last season at a 37% clip in an offense that features 3 point shooting at high volumes. These writers need to actually watch our players for more than 5 minutes before sending out these write ups to their editors.

they can keep hating this team all they want, or trying to slight Lin like they guy can't flat out ball.

The attitudes will change fast when the carpet bombing begins.

ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#52 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 am

Somehow I thought he looks like his ex-teammate Curry.

Working hard
Thanks for the honesty.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#53 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 am

Love that Lin is revving up for the season. Fun guy and easy to root for.

There's a small part of me that would like to accept a decent offer of a good future 1st rounder for him if things are going well this season... but a bigger part of me wants to see this guy lead a supposed bottom feeder team to a much higher record and maybe even a playoff birth. And I think we really got a great corp of PGs in Lin, Din, and Whitehead that I would like to see work with each other over the years.

to address why we shouldn't take a 1st for him though... I know we have the Raptors first this year, and after that, we're back with our picks again. Is it reaaaaally necessary to keep stockpiling picks at this phase? I feel like we're coming up to the bend in our transition as a relevant franchise. Having a vet leader PG like Lin could be super important to help this team transition. I would rather see Booker moved (even though I dig his qualities too) for a pick in the late teens/early 20s if possible.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#54 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Love that Lin is revving up for the season. Fun guy and easy to root for.

There's a small part of me that would like to accept a decent offer of a good future 1st rounder for him if things are going well this season... but a bigger part of me wants to see this guy lead a supposed bottom feeder team to a much higher record and maybe even a playoff birth. And I think we really got a great corp of PGs in Lin, Din, and Whitehead that I would like to see work with each other over the years.

to address why we shouldn't take a 1st for him though... I know we have the Raptors first this year, and after that, we're back with our picks again. Is it reaaaaally necessary to keep stockpiling picks at this phase? I feel like we're coming up to the bend in our transition as a relevant franchise. Having a vet leader PG like Lin could be super important to help this team transition. I would rather see Booker moved (even though I dig his qualities too) for a pick in the late teens/early 20s if possible.

Yeah, now we have 1st round picks in 2018 (Toronto) and our own in 2019, plus all the second round picks. I don't think we need more picks at this point unless it's really good but I don't see teams offering a good pick for Lin. If the team is contending and needs a PG, then their pick will likely not be lottery.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#55 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm

yeah no sense in adding another late 1st when we already have one. unless Marks wants to add another pick to his asset pool to package with a trade.

Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#56 » by Curns13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Love that Lin is revving up for the season. Fun guy and easy to root for.

Yeah, now we have 1st round picks in 2018 (Toronto) and our own in 2019, plus all the second round picks. I don't think we need more picks at this point unless it's really good but I don't see teams offering a good pick for Lin. If the team is contending and needs a PG, then their pick will likely not be lottery.

I would trade Lin for a first round pick, but only if Dlo proves he is the teams future and will be running the point. If that is the case, Lin becomes expendable and I'd move him for an asset. Same thing with Booker. If RHJ and Acy prove early that they can handle 48 minutes at PF, I'd try and bring in more assets for him. As Marks proved last off season, 2 late first round picks ain't a bad thing.
playteamball
Senior
And1: 73

Post#57 » by playteamball » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm

As a Lin fan, I'd love to see Lin stay with Brooklyn for the rest of his career. Marks/Atkinson is a great tandem that appreciates talent and looks past BS, and I have no doubt that Lin would contribute both on and off the court into his latter years. On a personal level, I'd like to simply keep rooting for the Nets and the Nets only.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#58 » by Vae Victus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 pm

I dont see the point of trading LIn except for a mid teens pick. A late 1st from some contender needing a boost isnt really worth much and theyll likely try to foist a crap contract onto the team too (ala Corey Brewer for Lou Will).

This team has all the ingredients to be an excellent run and gun offensive squad. Bigs who can set hard screens and rim run, rugged PFs and a stretch 4, multiple offensively versatile wings, shooters galore, and multiple players who can play PG competently without a huge dropoff like last year.

Lin has the perfect squad that fits his skillset. No ISO centric wings, no slow bigs, lots of spacing, and most importantly an upstanding team culture where these guys will play hard for each other.

The team needed a backup big and they filled that slot adequately. The really amazing part is that the squad has young guys waiting in the wings ready to step up when needed and not forced too right off the bat. Allen and Levert will have good solid veterans ahead of them of whom they need to outcompete if they want NBA mins. Whitehead has the hardest job as his position is in flux and there are alot of quality wings in front of him.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#59 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 am

Ya, Booker would be pretty redundant if DMC and Jar pan out.
Thanks for the honesty.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#60 » by Lorenzomax7 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
steady wrote:SI

JEREMY LIN, NETS

Swear to god, Lin's mistakes are imo due to fatigue because i notice they happen late in the 4th. he needs to pace himself.

I don't know how he was "miscast" when he was the 2nd best player on the team last season and gave us a massive boost when he returned.

And the thing about his shooting...what was this guy watching? Lin was knocking down bombs last season at a 37% clip in an offense that features 3 point shooting at high volumes. These writers need to actually watch our players for more than 5 minutes before sending out these write ups to their editors.

they can keep hating this team all they want, or trying to slight Lin like they guy can't flat out ball.

The attitudes will change fast when the carpet bombing begins.

According to SI, The whole team of the Nets should be relegated to the bench.

Top 10 misunderstanding of Jeremy Lin:

1) He can only excels in P'n'Rs.

2) He can't play defense.

3) He can't go left.

4) He can't dribble in traffic.

5) He can't shoot.

6) He is too inconsistent.

7) He is better suited as a back-up.

8) He is immensely overrated by casual fans and being overpaid.

9) He is deceptive quick.

10) His bb-IQ is relative low.

Bonus: He is injury-prone and he eats Beijing duck and chow-mien every night.

Conclusion: The attitudes on Lin will NOT change a bit until he averages 20+/6+ and actually play like an All-Star.
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.

Return to Brooklyn Nets