Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: The Official Allen Crabbe Thread 

Post#261 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:53 pm

Ror1997 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:
He's 24, He's a former #3 overall pick and He's locked up until He's 28. He's a legit 2 way player and a great 3 point shooter.

What's the problem with him making so much money? He deserves that contract....

Is a contract only good if the player is underpaid for his skillset? Would you rather have Jae Crowder than Otto Porter because Crowder has a team friendly contract even though Porter is the superior player?

no but that is due to crowders age.

but i would 100% rather have say avery bradley then porter. defintely rather have bradley then crabbe

And what about next year when He's a F/A? Hell be getting paid 25M by some team too. Then would you rather have Bradley or Porter? I would rather have Porter. He's better than Bradley is now and He's got more room to grow. Easy decision too.

i dont think he will get 25 million. i think he will get closer to 17-18 million.

if it cost 25 million my chose would be neither. i wouldnt take porter or bradley at that cost. id keep the cap and use it as an asset to aquire picks and young players on rookie scale deals.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#262 » by Ror1997 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 5:44 pm

Porter can legitimately be a top 25 player in the NBA and you wouldn't want to pay him what He's worth? That's borderline trollish. There's noway anybody can argue with you if you don't think players should be payed what they're worth. I'm done with this thread entirely.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#263 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:45 pm

Ror1997 wrote:Porter can legitimately be a top 25 player in the NBA and you wouldn't want to pay him what He's worth? That's borderline trollish. There's noway anybody can argue with you if you don't think players should be payed what they're worth. I'm done with this thread entirely.

i think there is a fringe change he can be like the 25th best player... i dont think its likely.

also not all top 25 players are equal. the durants and davis' are alot better then the horfords of the world. i wouldnt pay horford that kind of money either. if you dont have a superstar i dont think you can pay that guy superstar money. if you think poter can be the next giannis and not the next harrison barnes then thats fine. i dont think that porter has superstar potential. im not sure he will even be an all-star.

but this isnt about porter. it is about crabbe. you can argue crabbe is a bench player, with low impact on wins/losses. im not sure you can pay a guy like that 19 million. especially when you can get a guy like harris for peanuts
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#264 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:33 am

1/8 of the season in the books:

11.9 Points
3.7 rebounds
1.1 Asssits
0.5 Steals
0.4 blocks
1.0 Turnovers

37.9% FG
37.1% 3PT
13.6 PER
57.6 TS%
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#265 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:05 pm

We need more from him. He needs to be challenged by the staff to put the ball on the floor and attack. I don't care if he fails initially, but we need more from him offensively.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#266 » by MGrand15 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:07 pm

That TS% is pretty wild considering he's been struggling.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#267 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:We need more from him. He needs to be challenged by the staff to put the ball on the floor and attack. I don't care if he fails initially, but we need more from him offensively.

I agree. He needs to be more then just a jump shooter. especially a jump shooter who only takes whats there and doesnt work to create his own shot more.

He needs to try to get to the rim as often as possible, even if its ugly and not working. he wont improve at it unless he gets reps doing it in games... similar to RHJ last year
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#268 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:00 pm

MGrand15 wrote:That TS% is pretty wild considering he's been struggling.

62 of his 94 FGA are from three. so that helps keep the TS% up. since the three is a much more efficiency shot as long as you make over 34% of them. 37% from three is solid. above league average by 3-4%. He also doesnt miss from the line which helps his efficiency as well.

Its more that for a guy whose offense now is basically all threes/jumpshots he is just shooting "good" from three and not "great" from three like last year.

I'm not sure he can be a great three point shooter with so much more volume (3.8 attempts last year, 5.8 this year) and so many less stand still catch and shoot threes (97% last year 93.2% this year).

shooting 37% from three wont be an issue if he can find a way to also get 8-10 points on drives, post ups, cuts, etc
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#269 » by shakendfries » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:50 pm

Prokorov wrote:1/8 of the season in the books:

11.9 Points
3.7 rebounds
1.1 Asssits
0.5 Steals
0.4 blocks
1.0 Turnovers

37.9% FG
37.1% 3PT
13.6 PER
57.6 TS%

$75 million = 12p, 1a?

:nonono: that's not gonna cut it

meanwhile, Otto Porter is averaging 18p, 7r, 2a, 2s
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#270 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:12 pm

shakendfries wrote:

11.9 Points
3.7 rebounds
1.1 Asssits
0.5 Steals
0.4 blocks
1.0 Turnovers

37.9% FG
37.1% 3PT
13.6 PER
57.6 TS%

$75 million = 12p, 1a?

I dont want to derail things with otto porter. but 27 million you better put up those numbers (or better). to me Porter is like Harrison barnes last year. paid like a superstar with fringe all-star numbers at best. I'm glad we did not end up with porter. while better then Crabbe we would be locked into a pretty poor team for a long time with little flexibility (even less then we have now). With porter as their 3rd best player, the wizards are still just a good but not very good team.

If porter had to be your best player, you arent winning much.

As far as Crabbe, its not his fault that marks threw allstar money and a bench specialty shooter. Its in everyones best interest now to become a scorer and not just a shooter, but the expectations on him due to the money marks gave him are a bit unfair to crabbe... which is why my criticism of crabbe not being what we need him to be fall on marks shoulders for me
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#271 » by shakendfries » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

11.9 Points
3.7 rebounds
1.1 Asssits
0.5 Steals
0.4 blocks
1.0 Turnovers

37.9% FG
37.1% 3PT
13.6 PER
57.6 TS%

$75 million = 12p, 1a?

I dont want to derail things with otto porter. but 27 million you better put up those numbers (or better). to me Porter is like Harrison barnes last year. paid like a superstar with fringe all-star numbers at best. I'm glad we did not end up with porter. while better then Crabbe we would be locked into a pretty poor team for a long time with little flexibility (even less then we have now). With porter as their 3rd best player, the wizards are still just a good but not very good team.

As far as Crabbe, its not his fault that marks threw allstar money and a bench specialty shooter. Its in everyones best interest now to become a scorer and not just a shooter, but the expectations on him due to the money marks gave him are a bit unfair to crabbe... which is why my criticism of crabbe not being what we need him to be fall on marks shoulders for me

I don't care. So far he's no better than he was last year & there are no excuses from him. He's 25, it's time to step it up.

Marks paid him $75 million to be a poor man's Klay Thompson. He needs to be scoring at least 18+ PPG for him to live up to expectations.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official Allen Crabbe Thread 

Post#272 » by Paradise » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:48 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
$75 million = 12p, 1a?

I don't care. So far he's no better than he was last year & there are no excuses from him. He's 25, it's time to step it up.

Marks paid him $75 million to be a poor man's Klay Thompson. He needs to be scoring at least 18+ PPG for him to live up to expectations.

18 PPG is a bit much but he does need to step up. I’m perfectly fine with 15-16 PPG with high percentages.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#273 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:53 pm

agreed. he definitely needs to step it up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#274 » by SpeedyG » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:00 pm

Crabbe tried to attack more vs the Nuggets. He simply doesn't have that skill. He's not a good enough ball handler to do that right now. He's a to 2 dribble pull up or layup kind of guy.

I keep harping on this, but skill development like that doesn't happen in-season often. It's going to be in off-season where he'll be able to really work on that skill, try it out in games next season, then really add it to his arsenal the next.

This season will be about his defensive buy in, shooting, and familiarity with the team culture.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#275 » by Netaman » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:01 pm

Still only playing 25 mpg. Sprained his ankle in camp and surgery this past summer, let's see what his numbers are once he gets a few weeks of 30 mpg (which they've said is his target). I'd guess now he ends up more in the 13-15 ppg range with high %'s.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#276 » by kamaze » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:13 pm

Netaman wrote:Still only playing 25 mpg. Sprained his ankle in camp and surgery this past summer, let's see what his numbers are once he gets a few weeks of 30 mpg (which they've said is his target). I'd guess now he ends up more in the 13-15 ppg range with high %'s.

He's playing two more minutes and scoring 2 more points, give him 6 more minutes that's 6 more points.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#277 » by Netaman » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:23 am

SpeedyG wrote:Crabbe tried to attack more vs the Nuggets. He simply doesn't have that skill. He's not a good enough ball handler to do that right now. He's a to 2 dribble pull up or layup kind of guy.

I keep harping on this, but skill development like that doesn't happen in-season often. It's going to be in off-season where he'll be able to really work on that skill, try it out in games next season, then really add it to his arsenal the next.

This season will be about his defensive buy in, shooting, and familiarity with the team culture.

Agreed - even in less minutes than last year he's increased his shooting volume. Realistically I'm expecting that as he gets more comfortable with the team and finds a consistent place in the rotation he'll be able to get his percentages close to last year with the higher volume. And hopefully continue playing solid D.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#278 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:55 pm

shakendfries wrote:I don't care. So far he's no better than he was last year & there are no excuses from him. He's 25, it's time to step it up.

You can't blame Crabbe for being something he isn't and was never expected to be. It isn't his fault Marks drastically overpaid him. Can't blame Crabbe because Marks paid him to be a klay thompson imitation. This wasnt some highly recruited guy, some 1 and done star, or some lotto pick... hell not a first round pick.

He wasnt a great player at Cal... He shot 35% from three his senior year... thats from the college three point line. You could argue Jorge Guitierez was better then Crabbe for Cal at the time. and we all now how great an NBA player Gutz was.

Second round pick.

he BARELY played his first 2 NBA seasons.65 total games. almost none his rookie year.

Marks Paid him off what was an INCREDIBLY mediocure 3rd season. I dont want to drag this into a Joe Harris thing again... but Marks legit paid him on numbers that where similar to what harris did for the nets last year,

look at harris and crabbes first 3 years. VERY similar. 60 games of nothing the firt 2 seasons and then like a 9/3/2 year on 39% from deep.

I mean your talking about a 25 year old, who wasnt a blue chip recruit, wasnt a great college player, wasnt drafted in the first round, and had 3 very forgetabble seasons before marks paid him

read that last sentence again and tell me thats a Crabbe issue and not a marks issue.

When crabbe stops working hard, when he stops listening to the coahces, thats when ill get on his case. otherwise, thats a marks thing
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#279 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:57 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Crabbe tried to attack more vs the Nuggets. He simply doesn't have that skill. He's not a good enough ball handler to do that right now. He's a to 2 dribble pull up or layup kind of guy.

i think in this enviornment you can improve that inseason. wins arent as important at this point. look at RHJ last year. was a mess dribbling over aggressive and throwing himself at the rim. that paid off huge. now driving and ball handling are a strength for him
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#280 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:59 pm

Netaman wrote:

Agreed - even in less minutes than last year he's increased his shooting volume. Realistically I'm expecting that as he gets more comfortable with the team and finds a consistent place in the rotation he'll be able to get his percentages close to last year with the higher volume. And hopefully continue playing solid D.

scoring is up a bit. % are down quite a bit.

Return to Brooklyn Nets