ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Nets sign Tyler Zeller

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,488

Re: Woj: Nets sign Tyler Zeller 

Post#41 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:03 pm

for as badly as Jokic lit us up, I like Zeller's overall effort a lot more than Mozgov's.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#42 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:for as badly as Jokic lit us up, I like Zeller's overall effort a lot more than Mozgov's.

i've been happy with Mozgov's effort. he just isnt a fit at all. He isnt built ot play at the leagues fastest pace or spend most of his time in the corner behind the 3 point line. He's playing hard, but isnt built for 105-110 possesion games up and down the floor.

Also, lets keep in mind, this isnt a guy we looked to bring in, he was the cost of aquiring russell.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#43 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:for as badly as Jokic lit us up, I like Zeller's overall effort a lot more than Mozgov's.

i've been happy with Mozgov's effort. he just isnt a fit at all. He isnt built ot play at the leagues fastest pace or spend most of his time in the corner behind the 3 point line. He's playing hard, but isnt built for 105-110 possesion games up and down the floor.

Also, lets keep in mind, this isnt a guy we looked to bring in, he was the cost of aquiring russell.

yeah. i'm trying not to be too hard on him but I expected better interior D from him. but that's on me for setting expectations too high for him.

playteamball
Senior
And1: 73

Post#44 » by playteamball » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 am

I think Mozgov and Zeller are getting too much heat. They are not superstars or stars, but decent role players, and I think they have played team basketball and played with good effort and decent iq. This feels like the same thing that happened to Justin Hamilton last year. Granted, these 3 guys don't always look cool or make flashy plays, but they play decent winning basketball (with the exception of not closing out well on 3-point shooting bigs so far).
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#45 » by shakendfries » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:20 pm

playteamball wrote:I think Mozgov and Zeller are getting too much heat. They are not superstars or stars, but decent role players, and I think they have played team basketball and played with good effort and decent iq. This feels like the same thing that happened to Justin Hamilton last year. Granted, these 3 guys don't always look cool or make flashy plays, but they play decent winning basketball (with the exception of not closing out well on 3-point shooting bigs so far).

They’re grown men getting paid to play professional ball. If they’re getting heat for playing poorly, they deserve it. Maybe Zeller less so, but Mozgov definitely. How we gonna blame D’Lo and Caris but not look at the older veterans who should be playing better (Crabbe & Moz)? Moz has a chip for Christ sake

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't have an issue with Zeller. He's put forth a solid effort despite how limited he is. Mozgov imo has not and has let guys punk him. He needs to really ramp up his activity and energy level.

playteamball
Senior

Post#47 » by playteamball » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm

shakendfries wrote:
playteamball wrote:I think Mozgov and Zeller are getting too much heat. They are not superstars or stars, but decent role players, and I think they have played team basketball and played with good effort and decent iq. This feels like the same thing that happened to Justin Hamilton last year. Granted, these 3 guys don't always look cool or make flashy plays, but they play decent winning basketball (with the exception of not closing out well on 3-point shooting bigs so far).

They’re grown men getting paid to play professional ball. If they’re getting heat for playing poorly, they deserve it. Maybe Zeller less so, but Mozgov definitely. How we gonna blame D’Lo and Caris but not look at the older veterans who should be playing better (Crabbe & Moz)? Moz has a chip for Christ sake

I'm fine getting on their case for playing poorly but the way that they are dismissed as players is over the top, and I do not believe that they are being judged accurately. They have not played that poorly given their roles. Other than closing out on 3-point shooting bigs, I haven't seen terrible play on their part.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by shakendfries » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm

playteamball wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

I'm fine getting on their case for playing poorly but the way that they are dismissed as players is over the top, and I do not believe that they are being judged accurately. They have not played that poorly given their roles. Other than closing out on 3-point shooting bigs, I haven't seen terrible play on their part.

If your team stinks and you're the highest paid player on it, the blame starts with you period

There are no excuses for Mozgov getting lit up like Brook each night, and there are no excuses for Crabbe not to show improvement from last season
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#49 » by brook » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Mozgov now is too ugly to be true.

I saw him at Eurobasket with the Russian team and he looks good, offensive and defensive.

Ok NBA is different but too difference between that Mozgov and this Mozgov.
playteamball
Senior

Post#50 » by playteamball » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 pm

shakendfries wrote:
playteamball wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

If your team stinks and you're the highest paid player on it, the blame starts with you period

There are no excuses for Mozgov getting lit up like Brook each night, and there are no excuses for Crabbe not to show improvement from last season

I can see your frustration and what you are saying. I am mostly with you on Crabbe, though I do feel it is not his fault for a GM throwing money at him.

But for Mozgov, I look at his actual play and effort versus what we expected from him. If we expected all-star production due to his salary (and I'm not sure if his salary necessarily warrants all-star production), I would say that our expectations were too high. If we expected decent role player production, I would argue he is roughly there. Sure, he has had some cringeworthy moments, but overall he is still averaging 11.5/11.1 Per 36, with a 52% FG and a 67% 2-point FG%. Though he doesn't have close to Brook's offensive arsenal, he is rebounding better than Brook ever did and is still trying to play team basketball, boxing out, etc. Maybe this conversation should be taken into the Crabbe and Mozgov threads, as we are supposed to be talking about Zeller here, but I just see alot of Mozgov bashing here.
brook
Senior

Post#51 » by brook » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Zeller says 9+7+4+2 in 22 minutes. He is playing well and the entire team playing better without Mozgov on the court.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Zeller has provided what we thought Mozgov would at least provide at a fraction of the cost. the guy plays hard and stays within his limits. good pick up imo.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#53 » by MGrand15 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Zeller isn't great but hes a solid offensive player. Good hands, soft touch inside, decent enough jump shot, makes the right passes. His giving us something on that end of the floor + effort on defense. Can't ask for more.
brook
Senior

Post#54 » by brook » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Zeller isn't great but hes a solid offensive player. Good hands, soft touch inside, decent enough jump shot, makes the right passes. His giving us something on that end of the floor + effort on defense. Can't ask for more.

Agree, and he runs the floor very well for a big. Just he seems afraid sometimes around the offensive rim.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#55 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 pm

brook wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Zeller isn't great but hes a solid offensive player. Good hands, soft touch inside, decent enough jump shot, makes the right passes. His giving us something on that end of the floor + effort on defense. Can't ask for more.

Agree, and he runs the floor very well for a big. Just he seems afraid sometimes around the offensive rim.

yeah if I had to be critical of his game it's the fact that I think he goes up way too soft around the rim.

Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#56 » by Ror1997 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Dollar store Brook Lopez

Speaking of which, hes had a terrible past 5 games or so
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:18 am

yeah Brook has been horrible. it sucks to see from afar.

Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#58 » by Aussienet3 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:29 am

I hope he can give us that effort most nights.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#59 » by Karate Diop » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:42 pm

Ror1997 wrote:Dollar store Brook Lopez

It's an odd situation because the Lakers clearly don't want him so they refuse to incorporate him into their gsmeplan.

I'm hoping he gets bought out.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by shakendfries » Fri Dec 1, 2017 3:39 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:Dollar store Brook Lopez

It's an odd situation because the Lakers clearly don't want him so they refuse to incorporate him into their gsmeplan.

I'm hoping he gets bought out.

Don't they have one of the league's best defenses right now? That would not happen with Brook on the floor
ImageImage

Return to Brooklyn Nets