ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2017-18 Season thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Re: Around the NBA, 2017-18 Season thread 

Post#361 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 pm

I think travel isn't a big deal, but they may have to have more off days or go 2-3-2 for all series. I think local ratings and game times are the issue. Only a small subset of the first 2 rounds are nationally televised.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#362 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow, Mario Hezonja has been doing pretty well in the month of February.

17/6/2 in 30 mpg with 47/37/86 shooting. I'd rather have him than Stauskas. What would Hezonja get in free agency? Or should we just sign Harris for $15m/3yr and call it a day?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,856

Post#363 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Wow, Mario Hezonja has been doing pretty well in the month of February.

17/6/2 in 30 mpg with 47/37/86 shooting. I'd rather have him than Stauskas. What would Hezonja get in free agency? Or should we just sign Harris for $15m/3yr and call it a day?

i'd rather just re up Joey Buckets. He's familiar with the system, he continues to improve.

in other news:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249105/Trevor-Booker-Aiming-To-Become-Billionaire-With-Off-Court-Ventures

Booker and Baize are owning partners of Combine Enterprises, the parent company of their academic investments, and JB Fitzgerald Venture Capital. The firm has a motto of “We fund and support small companies with big ideas.”

Booker's goal is to build a portfolio that eventually makes him a billionaire.

“Maybe 30-35 years. I know I can get there,” Booker said of how long that might take.

we were quite blessed to have Booker spend some time here. great dude.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#364 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:Wow, Mario Hezonja has been doing pretty well in the month of February.

i'd rather just re up Joey Buckets. He's familiar with the system, he continues to improve.

in other news:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249105/Trevor-Booker-Aiming-To-Become-Billionaire-With-Off-Court-Ventures

Booker and Baize are owning partners of Combine Enterprises, the parent company of their academic investments, and JB Fitzgerald Venture Capital. The firm has a motto of “We fund and support small companies with big ideas.”

“Maybe 30-35 years. I know I can get there,” Booker said of how long that might take.

Booker is the kind of visionary person that the NBA needs more of. In fact, I hope that more NBA teams are black-owned in the future. I feel like every NBA superstar -- the Lebrons, Stephs, Hardens -- should be thinking about how to save/invest/partner their money so that they can have equity stakes in these franchises.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#365 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

in other news:

Booker is the kind of visionary person that the NBA needs more of. In fact, I hope that more NBA teams are black-owned in the future. I feel like every NBA superstar -- the Lebrons, Stephs, Hardens -- should be thinking about how to save/invest/partner their money so that they can have equity stakes in these franchises.

Agreed. I would love to see more ownership groups reflecting the make up of the league in general. This current group of stars will have the resources to form ownership groups like this after they retire.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#366 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 1, 2018 12:18 pm

Read on Twitter

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Harden looked down at Wesley Johnson with absolute disgust. This is truly a sight to behold, I've seen dudes get embarrassed on the court but this is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#367 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Harden looked down at Wesley Johnson with absolute disgust. This is truly a sight to behold, I've seen dudes get embarrassed on the court but this is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Yooooo....

Love not only the staredown but he drills the three swish like its a foregone conclusion. I know harden gets hated on for his game and playing to draw fouls but he is likely the best offensive player in the league and MVP this year (probably was last year too)
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#368 » by shakendfries » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

James Harden on why he stopped before shooting after crossing up Wes Johnson: "I was trying to figure out what he was doing"

that was the most disrespectful crossover in recent nba history
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#369 » by shakendfries » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:12 pm

shakendfries wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

James Harden on why he stopped before shooting after crossing up Wes Johnson: "I was trying to figure out what he was doing"

that was the most disrespectful crossover in recent nba history

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#370 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:49 am

Remember when some of you guys tried arguing with me that Kilpatrick could be traded for a 2nd round pick?

Just got waived by the Bucks again. Lol
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#371 » by shakendfries » Fri Mar 2, 2018 5:57 am

omg lillard and mccollum are nasty
ImageImage

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Around the NBA, 2017-18 Season thread 

Post#372 » by Paradise » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:39 pm

Mirza has retired from basketball. Sad news.

Bucks forward Mirza Teletovic has reportedly been forced to retire due to ongoing complications with blood clots in his lungs.

During an appearance on 105.7FM The FAN, Racine Journal Times‘ Gery Woelfel reported that Teletovic’ career is over.

In December, the Bucks announced that Teletovic would be out indefinitely after doctors discovered blood clots in both of his lungs.

Thank You Mirza!

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#373 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 3, 2018 1:40 am

Paradise wrote:Mirza has retired from basketball. Sad news.

Bucks forward Mirza Teletovic has reportedly been forced to retire due to ongoing complications with blood clots in his lungs.

During an appearance on 105.7FM The FAN, Racine Journal Times‘ Gery Woelfel reported that Teletovic’ career is over.

In December, the Bucks announced that Teletovic would be out indefinitely after doctors discovered blood clots in both of his lungs.

Thank You Mirza!

He has nothing to be ashamed of, he was a decent pro. He was one of the few bright spots on our team during those days. He always had my respect once I read about what kind of environment he grew up in

I was seven years old when the war started. First you start seeing that there's no food, then grenades come down, the whole city is shaking, and you hear people screaming. Every day, your parents come in and say 'our neighbor died, our cousin died'. Always somebody dying. One day, I asked my mother, 'Is anybody alive?' It was very, very rough for us. It left, I will say, a memory...All my friends and me are playing [basketball] and then you hear the sirens like the grenades start falling down and just run to your house and hide. If I have to die, I die. For basketball, I will do anything

that's a hard mother **** er right there. there's a reason why he laughed in Lebron's face that night.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#374 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 3, 2018 1:49 am

I've always liked DeMar DeRozan as a player because his game is mid range, old school style which flies in the face of analytics. I always like the outlier types who do it methodically (much like Rip Hamilton, who our Nets teams had straight up wars against in those days). But I have to applaud him for this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/raptors/2018/02/26/raptors-demar-derozan-details-struggles-depression-anxiety/372543002/

A little less than 48 hours before the NBA All-Star Game earlier this month, Toronto Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan posted a simple but revealing statement on Twitter.

"This depression get the best of me," he wrote.

In a story published Sunday, DeRozan spoke at length with The Toronto Star about his struggles with depression and anxiety and the importance of addressing mental health issues, explaining that "we're all human, at the end of the day."

"It’s not nothing I’m against or ashamed of," DeRozan told the newspaper. "Now, at my age, I understand how many people go through it. Even if it’s just somebody can look at it like, ‘He goes through it and he’s still out there being successful and doing this,’ I’m OK with that."

by him coming out about his suffering, it helps to normalize issues such as anxiety and depression and it actually helps people who also suffer from it, especially younger kids who most likely are having a horrible time dealing with it and have zero support in place from family and what not, which could make the difference between life and death. kudos. he may not realize it, but just by talking about it as a public figure, he may have saved lives.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#375 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:51 pm

Lonzo Ball has been playing really good basketball of late. and he has really turned his season around. I know people will just kill him for his shooting and move on (and i mean 46 tS%/39% FG thats pretty bad)... but he really impacts the game in so many ways that you need to look beyond the shooting:

11 pts
7 rebs
7 assts
2 steals
1 block

He is also shooting 34% from three. which isnt bad at all.

For a rookie those numbers are pretty good. not a superstar out of the gate but compare that to Jason Kidd's rookie year:

12 pts
5 rebs
8 assts
2 stls
0.5 blks

27% from three

and like lonzo kidds shooting was awful (38% FG, 47 TS%)

Lonzo plays winning basketball, he makes the right play no matter what every time and doesnt seek assists he gets them organically. he reboubs like a big and guys love running with him because they know he will find them. defensively he has really turned it around and is making plays all over the floor. and his three point shot is way ahead of alot of guys from this draft

i think he is going to be really good really soon
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#376 » by shakendfries » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:55 pm

Damian Lillard. That is all.
ImageImage

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#377 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:Lonzo Ball has been playing really good basketball of late. and he has really turned his season around. I know people will just kill him for his shooting and move on (and i mean 46 tS%/39% FG thats pretty bad)... but he really impacts the game in so many ways that you need to look beyond the shooting:

11 pts
7 rebs
7 assts
2 steals
1 block

He is also shooting 34% from three. which isnt bad at all.

For a rookie those numbers are pretty good. not a superstar out of the gate but compare that to Jason Kidd's rookie year:

12 pts
5 rebs
8 assts
2 stls
0.5 blks

27% from three

and like lonzo kidds shooting was awful (38% FG, 47 TS%)

Lonzo plays winning basketball, he makes the right play no matter what every time and doesnt seek assists he gets them organically. he reboubs like a big and guys love running with him because they know he will find them. defensively he has really turned it around and is making plays all over the floor. and his three point shot is way ahead of alot of guys from this draft

i think he is going to be really good really soon

yep. His haters are going to be eating tons of crow. i never understood the hate this kid receives because of his dad...they're two different people.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#378 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:57 pm

got to give kudos to another player being open about mental health:

Kevin Love Details Struggles With Panic Attacks

Kevin Love acknowledged he suffered a panic attack during a game in November this season.

Love experienced stomach pain and shortness of breath.

"It came out of nowhere. I'd never had one before," Love wrote in The Players' Tribune. "I didn't even know if they were real. But it was real -- as real a broken hand or a sprained ankle. Since that day, almost everything about the way I think about my mental health has changed."

Love also left a loss at home to the Oklahoma City Thunder in January with what was described as an illness. Love's departure led to an intense team meeting in which his Cleveland teammates challenged the legitimacy of his health.

Sources say Love disclosed to his teammates that he had suffered another panic attack during the loss.

Love wrote that since the initial panic attack he has been seeing a therapist a few times per month.

Love has not played since breaking his hand on Jan. 30th.

That's pretty brave of him to be open about it (not a coincidence either, probably thanks to DeRozan stepping forward about his suffering). Panic/anxiety attacks are no joke, I speak from experience. You feel like you are going to die, and a sense of detachment from control over your own body. Nevermind the other symptoms...I wish that on no one.

This makes the guys on the Cavs who attacked him over it look like real pieces of garbage.

Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#379 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:42 am

Did anyone catch the ending of the Lakers game today? How do the refs keep their jobs? Bizzare.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#380 » by shakendfries » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 pm

The Cavaliers have the worst point differential of any LeBron James team since the 07-08 season. Despite making a series of huge mid-season trades in an effort to inject new life, and a dominant LeBron in Game 7, the 07-08 Cavs fell in the second round of the playoffs.

Do the Nets play the Cavs again this season? I'd personally relish the chance to see the Nets contribute to Bron's tears of unfathomable sadness, just before he books his flight to HOU/LA this summer
ImageImage

Return to Brooklyn Nets