Around the NBA, 2017-18 Season thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: Around the NBA, 2017-18 Season thread 

Post#901 » by steady » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:03 am

Prokorov wrote:
steady wrote:I like idea of Kawhi to 76ers. Challenging Celtics future dominance of East. Then I want Kyrie to leave Boston next summer. :-)

I dont see the Sixers as some future dynasty. i think it would hinge on landing lebron or kawhi to compete. they got stomped by bostons B squad.

I think that’s what I said , see where I mention a Kawhi to Sixers trade. :-)

They have no chance of catching the Celtics unless they do a blockbuster trade like this

Brett Browns relationship with both Kawhi and Spurs should help in getting deal done too. But will they have guts to pull trigger
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#902 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:04 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
It's not an equal value trade but those line ups look really nice on paper. If Washington is going to be in cap hell you're better off with Cousins/Wall/Beal/Oubre as your core, that team would be a problem for anyone in the east.

For NO, it really balances out their line up nicely.

Well yeah obviously the Wiz love it. they get the much much better player and get rid of the awful contract.

NO gives up a top 12 player for a role guy on one of the leagues worst contracts. its cool he fits them. so would crabbe, harris... they arent trading cousins for those guys either.

I don't think a twin tower line up works ultimately in today's NBA though, thats what i'm getting at.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#903 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 am

Prokorov wrote:Looks more and more like Kawhi + Lebron to the lakers. that would be the best DUO the NBA has seen since Kobe/Shaq or Magic/Kareem.

2 elite 2 way players, and maybe the top 2 guys for impact on winning. surround them with a pair of 3 & D gaurds and a lob/blocks center and thats got ring written all over it.

Jordan and Pippen 2.0 if their egos don't get in the way and they get a big in there that works with them.

steady
Veteran

Post#904 » by steady » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

Prokorov wrote:
steady wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I think you're right about teams having a willingness to call player's bluffs like OKC did with George, but I think the reason is age related. George is 28. Kawhi will be 28 when he hits FA. Not everybody gambles on 1+1 deals the way Lebron does. I believe teams are banking on the extra year they can offer as enough incentive to get a player to stay. The $6mil differential between 5% & 8% raises in the first 4 years is inconsequential. The big decision is whether that $43mil salary when they're 32 years old is too much to give up.

Yep

He d already Be giving up about $45 mill for sixth year by refusing Spurs offer of the supermax contract. From $216 m to $170 m. Can you imagine giving up $43 mil in guaranteed salary on top of that

He'd triple that in endorsements in LA though

I am not sure about the endorsement deals. Kawhi has done some damage to his reputation by how he has handled this trade request

It’s the same action that PG13 took last year but it feels so different - because he is so absent while Kyrie and PG13 were so good at getting their story out
steady
Veteran

Post#905 » by steady » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm

If Sixers offered for Kawhi

Saric
Covington
Zhaire Smith
Miami's unprotected 2021 first-round
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#906 » by Prokorov » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
It's not an equal value trade but those line ups look really nice on paper. If Washington is going to be in cap hell you're better off with Cousins/Wall/Beal/Oubre as your core, that team would be a problem for anyone in the east.

For NO, it really balances out their line up nicely.

Well yeah obviously the Wiz love it. they get the much much better player and get rid of the awful contract.

NO gives up a top 12 player for a role guy on one of the leagues worst contracts. its cool he fits them. so would crabbe, harris... they arent trading cousins for those guys either.

I don't think a twin tower line up works ultimately in today's NBA though, thats what i'm getting at.

2 great centers in twin towers works better then 1 great center and a role guy though
steady
Veteran

Post#907 » by steady » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:57 am

PG13 to OKC ? Nice ESPN profile piece about his journey - with an assist from DWade

steady
Veteran

Post#908 » by steady » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Paul George to LA guy trying to get him to be on board with idea of LBJ, Kawhi, PG13 to LAL.

"If you added KD, you would have the four best small forwards playing right now on the same team."

Lol
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#909 » by Jersey Generals » Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:51 am

Lakers fans after this weekend.

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#910 » by Roy Tarpley » Sun Jul 1, 2018 6:19 am

I'm puzzled by the Suns' signing of Ariza. Don't they already have TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, and Mikal Bridges at SF? Seems like a trade is coming up.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#911 » by Roy Tarpley » Sun Jul 1, 2018 6:23 am

Also, I think that Chris Paul contract is gonna kill the Rockets real quick. That $40m per is already an immediate albatross given Paul's injury history. Now, how do they fill Ariza's 3andD shoes?
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#912 » by bud29 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 6:44 am

Lakers really got screwed with the George news. They need at *least* one other superstar to lure Lebron, and their only options at this point are signing Cousins - a big risk - or shelling out their roster to trade for Kawhi. Spurs just got a ton of leverage tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#913 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:15 pm

lol goddamn the Lakers might be **** ed.

They'd better offer Ingram/Kuzma future 1st for Leonard and then try to sign both Cousins and Lebron. thats their only hope of forming a "superteam"

Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#914 » by Roy Tarpley » Sun Jul 1, 2018 2:40 pm

Cousins is probably a disaster signing wherever he goes. He wasn't a franchise changer before his injury, and he certainly won't be after an Achilles tendon injury.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#915 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 1, 2018 4:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:lol goddamn the Lakers might be **** ed.

They'd better offer Ingram/Kuzma future 1st for Leonard and then try to sign both Cousins and Lebron. thats their only hope of forming a "superteam"

They did and the Spurs still said no. The Spurs dislike the Ball family and don't want him either. :lol:

Laker fans will never admit the first mistake was randomly trading Russell/Moz for cap space.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#916 » by shakendfries » Sun Jul 1, 2018 4:43 pm

I have a feeling it's gonna take a Billy King-esque offer from Magic to get San Antonio to pull the trigger

Read on Twitter

RC could use the 76ers' interest in Kawhi as leverage to demand unprotected draft picks
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
steady
Veteran

Post#917 » by steady » Sun Jul 1, 2018 4:56 pm

My desired outcome of LeBron/Kawhi

Kawhi to Clippers for
-Tobias Harris
-P Beverly or whoever else Spurs want
-Couple of first round picks

LeBron to Sixers

Why they’d do it

Jerry West understands this could be franchise altering for Clips. He has nothing to lose bc team is already not that good. Flight risk is low because Kawhi seems lk E a player who might be stubborn about returning to be near family in LA but willreally not care whether it’s for Clips or Lakers

Spurs - the future picks might have more value because Clippers are not good. No one gives them a better deal.

LeBron would have a chance to be on a legitimate contender in making. Which Lakers would not provide him as currently constituted and Lakers will drag their feet as they did with PG13 and lose their shot to get a Kawhi. He know and likes Embiid amd Simmons. Raising them up to reach their full god given potential could be his last legacy. Philly — while no LA - is not a slouch place to live either. Amd is. Sry close to NYC too. Plus he gets to stay in Eastern Conference

Sixers - showed they have a whole lot of talent but nowhere the discipline and focus it will take to get to championship caliber. They badly need a mentor and Leader and LBJ would provide that like no other. They can work out the Simmons LBJ overlap issues

Why this would make me happy

Lakers would be seriously screwed amd by Jerry West no less

Celtics would have a serious threat in Sixers to what seemed their assured dominance of East
Ainge would forever be second-Guessed on his decision to take a pass on Kawhi which indirectly led to LeBron choosing Sixers

:-)
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#918 » by bud29 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:47 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:I'm puzzled by the Suns' signing of Ariza. Don't they already have TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, and Mikal Bridges at SF? Seems like a trade is coming up.

I'm guessing the plan is to flip him at the deadline for a first round pick. Pretty much trying to buy draft capital.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#919 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 1, 2018 9:25 pm

I really don't see how Lebron in Philly works unless Lebron plays more off of the ball. Because taking the ball out of Simmons' hands is the dumbest thing you can do at this point.

if trading Russell in a salary dump comes back to haunt the Lakers, while no disrespect to their fans, but I'll laugh because Magic tried to poison the well regarding Russell.

Russell needs to have a big year this upcoming season.

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#920 » by JoseRizal » Mon Jul 2, 2018 12:19 am

Lake show just got Bron!