LeVert22
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Nets - In Season Moves & Possible Trade Ideas 

Post#1081 » by LeVert22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
I agree and disagree with this. I think they both have all star potential, especially if RHJ develops his shot. LeVert does have a higher ceiling though IMO.

It's definitely possible. I think most people consider Draymond a role player and he's about to make his 3rd all star appearance.

I don’t consider draymond to be a role player. Anyone averaging 8 assists and winning DPOY isn’t a role player, especially if they’re doing it as an undersized PF.

That's interesting. So you think Draymond would be an all star if he wasn't playing for the Warriors.

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

Which one of those 12 guys is Draymond better than? I didn't even mention Paul George or Blake Griffin. As well as anyone from the east.

Draymond is a piece. A very good piece but not someone you build a team around. He's an excellent role player.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#1082 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
It's definitely possible. I think most people consider Draymond a role player and he's about to make his 3rd all star appearance.

I don’t consider draymond to be a role player. Anyone averaging 8 assists and winning DPOY isn’t a role player, especially if they’re doing it as an undersized PF.

That's interesting. So you think Draymond would be an all star if he wasn't playing for the Warriors.

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

Which one of those 12 guys is Draymond better than? I didn't even mention Paul George or Blake Griffin. As well as anyone from the east.

Draymond is a piece. A very good piece but not someone you build a team around. He's an excellent role player.

I’d take him over Klay but just cause he can’t make the all star team in the loaded west doesn’t mean he isn’t a star. He would start on the eastern conference all star team next to Lebron and Giannis in the front court. There’s plenty of stars that you can’t build a team around in todays NBA. It’s just too stacked with talent.

The fact that we’re comparing him to those guys in the first place proves that he isn’t a role player.
LeVert22
Ballboy

Post#1083 » by LeVert22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

I’d take him over Klay but just cause he can’t make the all star team in the loaded west doesn’t mean he isn’t a star. He would start on the eastern conference all star team next to Lebron and Giannis in the front court. There’s plenty of stars that you can’t build a team around in todays NBA. It’s just too stacked with talent.

The fact that we’re comparing him to those guys in the first place proves that he isn’t a role player.

The only reason I compared him to those guys is because he get's voted onto the all star team. You also said in your opinion he's not a role player.
I have a very hard time believing if you put Draymond on the Blazers and replaced Curry with Lillard on the Warriors that he would be making the team over Dame. In fact Portland might be a lottery team if that happened.

I think when you have a guy you can't give the ball too at any point in the game and tell him you need a basket, as great as he is at everything else, it's hard for me to call him anything more than a role player. I'd actually feel more comfortable giving the ball to RHJ at this point and asking him to get me a basket than I would Draymond.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#1084 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:There isn't a player on this roster that the Cavs would trade our pick back to us for.

Please guys, stop it lol, it's a dead issue, that pick is gone like your ex on the rebound during spring break. Let it gooooooooooo.

Take a look at the proposed trades by SBNation for our pick: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/12/16882802/cavaliers-trade-nets-pick-2018-nba-draft-improve-wings-inside

The trade I proposed is better than any of the trades they proposed. This has nothing to do with lamenting the past, this has to do with capitalizing on Din's emergence and Carroll's resurgence. For the Cavs they get a veteran in Carroll that can and will take on the toughest sg/sf/pf on the other team and Din gives them a high production / low cost player for this and next year. They have to see the writing on the wall that our pick likely ends up 10th or lower. Carroll and Din and to lesser extent Zeller give them a better shot at beating the warriors than JR Smith / Shump, Calderon, and Osman do.

Is that a fan written article?

Those trades are dumpster fire du jour's for the Cavs. I mean they are all flatout abominations. Puke filled garbage cans of fail.

I wouldn't use those ridiculous ideas as support for your reasonable on paper value, but highly unlikely proposition.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#1085 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 pm

LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

The only reason I compared him to those guys is because he get's voted onto the all star team. You also said in your opinion he's not a role player.
I have a very hard time believing if you put Draymond on the Blazers and replaced Curry with Lillard on the Warriors that he would be making the team over Dame. In fact Portland might be a lottery team if that happened.

I think when you have a guy you can't give the ball too at any point in the game and tell him you need a basket, as great as he is at everything else, it's hard for me to call him anything more than a role player. I'd actually feel more comfortable giving the ball to RHJ at this point and asking him to get me a basket than I would Draymond.

I never said he was making the team over dame. But he absolutely makes it on the eastern conference team. Lillard hasn’t made an all star team in years. Does that mean he isn’t a star? No it just means the West is absolutely stacked.

I disagree. I think there’s a lot more to basketball than catching the ball and getting a shot. You can still be a star at other aspects of the game and not be a role player.

I mean if you had to pick someone to get a shot you’re probably not picking Jason Kidd and his below 40% career FG to take it but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a superstar. Same with Bill Rusell and his super low FG% for a Center. Both of those guys are hall of famers. You have a very narrow definition of star and broad definition of role player that I think trivializes many aspects of the game.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1086 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

I never said he was making the team over dame. But he absolutely makes it on the eastern conference team. Lillard hasn’t made an all star team in years. Does that mean he isn’t a star? No it just means the West is absolutely stacked.

I disagree. I think there’s a lot more to basketball than catching the ball and getting a shot. You can still be a star at other aspects of the game and not be a role player.

I mean if you had to pick someone to get a shot you’re probably not picking Jason Kidd and his below 40% career FG to take it but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a superstar. Same with Bill Rusell and his super low FG% for a Center. Both of those guys are hall of famers. You have a very narrow definition of star and broad definition of role player that I think trivializes many aspects of the game.

I don't think it's a lock at all he makes it in the East, except the fact there aren't a ton of top level forwards in the East and with the new format, that might not matter.

I like Dray a lot, but he's a star role player, not a straight up star. He's like a prime Al Horford, Iggy, Crash, etc.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1087 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Dude said Fat Lever, holy **** I feel old. :lol:
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#1088 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:

I don't think it's a lock at all he makes it in the East, except the fact there aren't a ton of top level forwards in the East and with the new format, that might not matter.

I like Dray a lot, but he's a star role player, not a straight up star. He's like a prime Al Horford, Iggy, Crash, etc.

He’s absolutely a lock in the east.

I consider all of those guys to be stars. Just because they weren’t go to scorers doesn’t mean they weren’t stars. There’s a lot of aspects of the game outside of creating your own shot. By your definition were Kidd and Bill Russell star role players as well? They weren’t scorers and they couldn’t get their own shots consistently. They excelled at passing, defense and rebounding. All things that Draymond excells at. Personally I think the term star role player contradicts itself.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Post#1089 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:58 pm

I think it's pretty imprudent to cap the potential of anyone under the age of 25 on this team, but we'll see how things play out because we all have varied opinions. No one predicted last year RHJ or Dinwiddie would do what they did this season, hell LeVert being able to play both guard spots was an unexpected development as well. Is the capping of their potential a lack of foresight? Impatience? Probably a bit of both when it comes to it. These kind of conversations seem to come up more after a bad loss, but i'm probably wrong in that regard.

Anyway, I'll put my money on the process underway here. If a can't miss trade comes up, so be it I expect management to do what's best for the team when if it involves one of trading Dinwiddie/Russell/LeVert/RHJ/Allen, but I'll wait to see what happens regarding just how good these guys can become individually and as a group.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1090 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Dude said Fat Lever, holy **** I feel old. :lol:

I only saw him on the tail end of his career but that dude was nasty

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1091 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
shakendfries wrote:I may be wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that the Nets are gonna end up in the boundless mire of mediocrity in the Eastern Conference that the Kemba Hornets are in - where they're good enough to win 35-45 games and maybe squeak into the playoffs, but not bad enough to draft anyone legit. Marks has struck gold with LeVert, Allen, Dinwiddie, and Atkinson has turned Harris and RHJ into players. I'm confident in Okafor and D'Lo developing into solid 15-20ppg contributors, but I'm not convinced they put the Nets over the edge in any significant way. With everyone healthy, (lets say they had 5 more wins) the Nets might've been in the playoff hunt right now but I have to see the results on the court to actually believe it

Marks has to trade for a future pick with some lottery potential. I'm not saying opportunities like that grow on trees, but its time for the Nets to be on the receiving end of a draft night surprise.

And this is why I'm not opposed to certain RHJ trades as well.

Like if on draft night a team wants to send say, the 7th to 9th pick here for him, unless Marks truly believes he's going to be some Marion like league leading stud role guy, you take that deal if you have a guy in that range you think is a can't miss All Star.

Bottom line is this league is still talent driven. You don't have a true franchise guy and a second near franchise guy, you're going absolutely nowhere. Even with that one two punch you're not guaranteed to truly contend, look at Washington, New Orleans, Portland, Milwaukee, OKC and even current LAC. But without those 2 guys, you aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot and you're never, ever winning a chip.

Even if Marks believes D-Lo is a franchise guy, or that two punch, to the one two, he needs to find another. Even if he believes Caris is going to be Kenny's Manu. Even if Dinwiddie is George Hill. Even if RHJ is Iggy and Allen becomes Capela. Well, if every last one of those guys hit their absolute ceiling while D-Lo is a franchise level top 10 player, then they can contend. But still be the underdog.

I understand and, in general, agree with your assessment but the MAJOR caveat is that Marks doesn't trade for picks, he trades for players.

We know that the Nets do their due diligence when conducting research for the draft. They've checked out players who are way out of the range of their expected draft slot just in case an unexpected deal happens or a player falls.

I think Marks would only trade current players to obtain players in the draft he believes can be better than the player he just traded away.

A perfect example of this is the Caris Levert deal. While fans could be super-pedantic and say Marks gave up more than he needed to in order to get Levert, Marks determined that Caris was worth "overpaying" for because he'd easily surpass the value of whatever asset/players he didn't absolutely need to give up.

If the Nets believe they can acquire a player whose potential is markedly higher than RHJ's ceiling, they'll make a deal for that player. The two questions are whether a player who checks those boxes is even out there and whether the Nets have enough to trade up to get such a pick.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1092 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

I consider all of those guys to be stars. Just because they weren’t go to scorers doesn’t mean they weren’t stars. There’s a lot of aspects of the game outside of creating your own shot. By your definition were Kidd and Bill Russell star role players as well? They weren’t scorers and they couldn’t get their own shots consistently. They excelled at passing, defense and rebounding. All things that Draymond excells at. Personally I think the term star role player contradicts itself.

I'd call a guy a star who can carry a team. Not to the Finals, not even necessarily to the playoffs. But as the best player on his team, he impact wins a ton and can carry said team if there aren't a bunch of other guys as good as him to at least 30 something wins.

I think if you put Dray on a team with a mix of average players and mediocre ones, that team is like 12 to 18 wins bad.

You swap him and Curry on that same team, they're winning 30 games at worst.

You swap a guy who's a star, but not superstar, like a DeRozan or Love, they're at least cracking the low 20's.

I get the game is played on both sides, on different levels, there's more than scoring, but he's a complementary player.

He's easily the most replaceable player on the Warriors. You can swap him with a player like Wilson Chandler and keep chugging along.

Pre-Durant, you can swap him with someone a little better than Chandler and still win the chip, just not with the same ease.

He's a luxury addition on a superstar team, who makes them unbeatable, but as a standalone player, he's just really good.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1093 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
shakendfries wrote:I may be wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that the Nets are gonna end up in the boundless mire of mediocrity in the Eastern Conference that the Kemba Hornets are in - where they're good enough to win 35-45 games and maybe squeak into the playoffs, but not bad enough to draft anyone legit. Marks has struck gold with LeVert, Allen, Dinwiddie, and Atkinson has turned Harris and RHJ into players. I'm confident in Okafor and D'Lo developing into solid 15-20ppg contributors, but I'm not convinced they put the Nets over the edge in any significant way. With everyone healthy, (lets say they had 5 more wins) the Nets might've been in the playoff hunt right now but I have to see the results on the court to actually believe it

Marks has to trade for a future pick with some lottery potential. I'm not saying opportunities like that grow on trees, but its time for the Nets to be on the receiving end of a draft night surprise.

And this is why I'm not opposed to certain RHJ trades as well.

Like if on draft night a team wants to send say, the 7th to 9th pick here for him, unless Marks truly believes he's going to be some Marion like league leading stud role guy, you take that deal if you have a guy in that range you think is a can't miss All Star.

Bottom line is this league is still talent driven. You don't have a true franchise guy and a second near franchise guy, you're going absolutely nowhere. Even with that one two punch you're not guaranteed to truly contend, look at Washington, New Orleans, Portland, Milwaukee, OKC and even current LAC. But without those 2 guys, you aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot and you're never, ever winning a chip.

Even if Marks believes D-Lo is a franchise guy, or that two punch, to the one two, he needs to find another. Even if he believes Caris is going to be Kenny's Manu. Even if Dinwiddie is George Hill. Even if RHJ is Iggy and Allen becomes Capela. Well, if every last one of those guys hit their absolute ceiling while D-Lo is a franchise level top 10 player, then they can contend. But still be the underdog.

I understand and, in general, agree with your assessment but the MAJOR caveat is that Marks doesn't trade for picks, he trades for players.

We know that the Nets do their due diligence when conducting research for the draft. They've checked out players who are way out of the range of their expected draft slot just in case an unexpected deal happens or a player falls.

I think Marks would only trade current players to obtain players in the draft he believes can be better than the player he just traded away.

A perfect example of this is the Caris Levert deal. While fans could be super-pedantic and say Marks gave up more than he needed to in order to get Levert, Marks determined that Caris was worth "overpaying" for because he'd easily surpass the value of whatever asset/players he didn't absolutely need to give up.

If the Nets believe they can acquire a player whose potential is markedly higher than RHJ's ceiling, they'll make a deal for that player. The two questions are whether a player who checks those boxes is even out there and whether the Nets have enough to trade up to get such a pick.

^^^100% on point.

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#1094 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don't think it's a lock at all he makes it in the East, except the fact there aren't a ton of top level forwards in the East and with the new format, that might not matter.

I'd call a guy a star who can carry a team. Not to the Finals, not even necessarily to the playoffs. But as the best player on his team, he impact wins a ton and can carry said team if there aren't a bunch of other guys as good as him to at least 30 something wins.

I think if you put Dray on a team with a mix of average players and mediocre ones, that team is like 12 to 18 wins bad.

You swap him and Curry on that same team, they're winning 30 games at worst.

You swap a guy who's a star, but not superstar, like a DeRozan or Love, they're at least cracking the low 20's.

I get the game is played on both sides, on different levels, there's more than scoring, but he's a complementary player.

He's easily the most replaceable player on the Warriors. You can swap him with a player like Wilson Chandler and keep chugging along.

Pre-Durant, you can swap him with someone a little better than Chandler and still win the chip, just not with the same ease.

He's a luxury addition on a superstar team, who makes them unbeatable, but as a standalone player, he's just really good.

See I think Klay is easily the most replaceable. If you put even Joe Harris in his place would they really be that much worse? Draymond is the guy that made the offense run pre-Durant and anchors their defense. Along with averaging the most assists on the team, playing Center and guarding every position.

Personally I think if we added Draymond to our team and moved RHJ to the 3, we would be the 8th seed easily.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1095 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

Draymond is easily better then towns. both ends of the floor. on a weaker team his PPG go way up with usage. he is also better then lillard, and paul and paul george and griffin.

Elite, rpemier defender in the league, elite bbiq, intimidates/puts guys on edge... scores in a veriety of ways. elevates teammates.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1096 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:

Horford cant shine draymonds shoes... and im a horford guy. Dray was DPOTY and a worth one. he can gaurd anyone on the court. he isnt a superstar but certainly an allstar and one with huge impact on winning
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1097 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:There isn't a player on this roster that the Cavs would trade our pick back to us for.

Please guys, stop it lol, it's a dead issue, that pick is gone like your ex on the rebound during spring break. Let it gooooooooooo.

Take a look at the proposed trades by SBNation for our pick: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/12/16882802/cavaliers-trade-nets-pick-2018-nba-draft-improve-wings-inside

The trade I proposed is better than any of the trades they proposed. This has nothing to do with lamenting the past, this has to do with capitalizing on Din's emergence and Carroll's resurgence. For the Cavs they get a veteran in Carroll that can and will take on the toughest sg/sf/pf on the other team and Din gives them a high production / low cost player for this and next year. They have to see the writing on the wall that our pick likely ends up 10th or lower. Carroll and Din and to lesser extent Zeller give them a better shot at beating the warriors than JR Smith / Shump, Calderon, and Osman do.

Is that a fan written article?

Those trades are dumpster fire du jour's for the Cavs. I mean they are all flatout abominations. Puke filled garbage cans of fail.

I wouldn't use those ridiculous ideas as support for your reasonable on paper value, but highly unlikely proposition.

Yeah, those trades are pretty bad.

Historically, teams who draft in the top-3 believe their player can be a perennial allstar or even a superstar; at 4-7, a player with occasional or perennial allstar potential; and at 8-14, occasional allstar, super-role player, or "diamond in the rough that everyone slept on" allstar. Obviously, this doesn't mean that the player selected will achieve that level of success, but that's just their hope.

LBJ has given the Cavs no indication that he's coming back, so the Cavs have no idea if any player they trade for will even appease LBJ enough to re-up. They're probably operating under the belief that he won't be back. Since it seems almost certain that the Nets won't make the playoffs, the Cavs essentially have a free lottery pick that's currently pegged for the 7th spot. The Cavs would much prefer a chance to pick a future potential next allstar than trade for a player who's not going to keep LBJ from leaving and thus not keep the Cavs from turning into a lotto team upon LBJ's departure.
LeVert22
Ballboy

Post#1098 » by LeVert22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

Draymond is easily better then towns. both ends of the floor. on a weaker team his PPG go way up with usage. he is also better then lillard, and paul and paul george and griffin.

Elite, rpemier defender in the league, elite bbiq, intimidates/puts guys on edge... scores in a veriety of ways. elevates teammates.

We're gonna have to disagree on this Prok
LeVert22
Ballboy

Post#1099 » by LeVert22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Lillard hasn't made a team in years because his team doesn't get enough wins.

Porzingis is a guy in the east who is on the cusp of making the team this year. Some people think he should get in, others don't.
If you replace him with Green on the Knicks I don't think anybody would be talking about him making the all star team.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1100 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 pm

LeVert22 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
LeVert22 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Durant
Butler
Towns
Westbrook
Lillard
Davis
Cousins
Kawhi
Harden
Paul

We're gonna have to disagree on this Prok

fair enough

Return to Brooklyn Nets