Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Re: The Official Lin Net Thread III.5 

Post#561 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon May 7, 2018 12:58 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
He doesnt give up 13 million. he gives up 2-4 million. the buyout would probably be in the 9 milion range. he would then likely be able to get at least the LLE BAE from someone to get that extra 4 million back.

nets would gain 4 million in cap room. might not seem like alot but that brings us pver 20 million in cap which would allow us to make legit offers to someone like Aaron Gordon

OK, I muddied my argument by saying Lin would give up $13 million.

Let's assume that the buyout terms are $9m. In this case, I think it would be financially acceptable for Lin. And assuming he's relatively healthy, he could sign on with some playoff contender that needs a veteran PG (Spurs? Bucks? Cavs?).

Then the question is, why would the Nets want a buyout so much that they would eat $9m to get $3.5m in cap space? I don't buy the development argument unless the Nets really think Dinwiddie is the PG of the future. Maybe there's a trade scenario where $3.5m in cap space would be useful, but then wouldn't it make sense just to trade Lin? I guess I just can't think of a sensible scenario for a buyout. I think trading Lin would make more sense.

as NEtsfan and I have both already pointed out. an extra 4 million or so would allow us to make offers to guys like Aaron Gordon, Randle, Parker, etc in free agency.

i dont think an offseason trade of Lin works... we would likely need to give someone a pick to take lins 13 million and send us back pure cap space for it without them know he is fully healthy and back. better to buy him out then give up assets to move him. but ovviously of someone would take lin and give back cap space that is prefeable.

i dont know why you dont buy the "development" argument. marks again in his exit interview said he doesnt know when they will start measuring themselves by wins, we had a 28 win team, and one of the least talented roster in the league. we have a ton of young guys we are looking to develop. our only real shot at the playoffs would have to be something like buying out lin and mozgov and signing an all-star calibur guy like gordon who can really impact the win column

I don't understand the cap that well but I guess you are suggesting a scenario where Lin is bought out, the Nets add maybe $3.5 million to the cap, and then they have cap space of like $17.5m, which they can use to make an offer to, e.g., Parker or Gordon, and the remaining 3 roster spots are used on rookies/minimum level players, and then the Nets re-sign Harris. How does a RHJ extension fit into this?

I suppose this could be plausible but I think it will take more than $18m for Gordon. Parker is not worth $18m, and I don't think Marks will work that hard to create space for someone like Parker.

I'm starting to understand how the buyout might happen but I'm still not convinced that the situation is urgent enough that Marks would try to make the move now. He could just wait until next year when Lin and Carroll expires.

Here's what I believe: Marks is trying to assemble the right pieces, develop them, have some veteran leadership, and maintain flexibility. But I don't know if he think Dinwiddie is the right PG to develop, or if he wants to let Lin or Carroll go too early, or if he thinks Gordon or Parker are the right pieces at their required salary level.
lookabove
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#562 » by lookabove » Mon May 7, 2018 1:18 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

Let's assume that the buyout terms are $9m. In this case, I think it would be financially acceptable for Lin. And assuming he's relatively healthy, he could sign on with some playoff contender that needs a veteran PG (Spurs? Bucks? Cavs?).

Then the question is, why would the Nets want a buyout so much that they would eat $9m to get $3.5m in cap space? I don't buy the development argument unless the Nets really think Dinwiddie is the PG of the future. Maybe there's a trade scenario where $3.5m in cap space would be useful, but then wouldn't it make sense just to trade Lin? I guess I just can't think of a sensible scenario for a buyout. I think trading Lin would make more sense.

as NEtsfan and I have both already pointed out. an extra 4 million or so would allow us to make offers to guys like Aaron Gordon, Randle, Parker, etc in free agency.

i dont think an offseason trade of Lin works... we would likely need to give someone a pick to take lins 13 million and send us back pure cap space for it without them know he is fully healthy and back. better to buy him out then give up assets to move him. but ovviously of someone would take lin and give back cap space that is prefeable.

i dont know why you dont buy the "development" argument. marks again in his exit interview said he doesnt know when they will start measuring themselves by wins, we had a 28 win team, and one of the least talented roster in the league. we have a ton of young guys we are looking to develop. our only real shot at the playoffs would have to be something like buying out lin and mozgov and signing an all-star calibur guy like gordon who can really impact the win column

I don't understand the cap that well but I guess you are suggesting a scenario where Lin is bought out, the Nets add maybe $3.5 million to the cap, and then they have cap space of like $17.5m, which they can use to make an offer to, e.g., Parker or Gordon, and the remaining 3 roster spots are used on rookies/minimum level players, and then the Nets re-sign Harris. How does a RHJ extension fit into this?

I suppose this could be plausible but I think it will take more than $18m for Gordon. Parker is not worth $18m, and I don't think Marks will work that hard to create space for someone like Parker.

I'm starting to understand how the buyout might happen but I'm still not convinced that the situation is urgent enough that Marks would try to make the move now. He could just wait until next year when Lin and Carroll expires.

Here's what I believe: Marks is trying to assemble the right pieces, develop them, have some veteran leadership, and maintain flexibility. But I don't know if he think Dinwiddie is the right PG to develop, or if he wants to let Lin or Carroll go too early, or if he thinks Gordon or Parker are the right pieces at their required salary level.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16994790/nba-free-agency-nba-buyout-market-explained-how-do-contract-buyouts-work
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#563 » by TheNetsFan » Mon May 7, 2018 3:58 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
He doesnt give up 13 million. he gives up 2-4 million. the buyout would probably be in the 9 milion range. he would then likely be able to get at least the LLE BAE from someone to get that extra 4 million back.

nets would gain 4 million in cap room. might not seem like alot but that brings us pver 20 million in cap which would allow us to make legit offers to someone like Aaron Gordon

If we could dump Lin's contract on a team like Phoenix for cash & 2 2nd round picks, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That would open up a world of possibilities this year.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#564 » by Prokorov » Mon May 7, 2018 5:35 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:

I dont blame you. the cap can be very confusing. The reality is that it would be more then just 3.5 billion. it would be closer to 8 million if you stretched the remainder of the salary left after a buyout agreement. making it closer to 24 million.

RHJ's extension is irrelevant for this years cap... if we sign him to an extension this summer his new salary cap number doesnt kick in until 2019-20.

24M would be in the right ballpark for Gordon. I would give parker 18M, but can see why some might not. there is also Julius randle, Derrick Favors, Isiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, etc available this summer.

Next year would be alot tougher, since we would either have extensions kick in for russell/RHJ or need to match any RFA offers they get. we would also have harris on his new deal and overall more team have cap space and could compete with us in free agency.

I agree on your opinion here... the problem is we have WAAAY too much money tied into veteren mentors who have little impact or dont even play (mozgov) and way too little money invested in young long term talent. Line makes 13, carroll 15, mozgov 16 million.

Carroll has value and can be dealt at the draft, we wouldnt need to buy him out. Lin and Mozgov would require buyouts.

We need veterans, but we should be getting veterans cheaper who play for the veterans minimum not guys taking up 45% of our cap room.

as far as diniwddie, its irrelevant. maybe he is good enough maybe not. but you have 3 young guys who could potentially be our PG of the future in diniwdidie, levert and russell. need to give the time to those guys, not rehabbing 30 year olds.

there is just no way to convince me that our cap is better spent on Lin then it is a player under 24 with all-star potential like Gordon
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#565 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue May 8, 2018 12:56 am

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

I dont blame you. the cap can be very confusing. The reality is that it would be more then just 3.5 billion. it would be closer to 8 million if you stretched the remainder of the salary left after a buyout agreement. making it closer to 24 million.

RHJ's extension is irrelevant for this years cap... if we sign him to an extension this summer his new salary cap number doesnt kick in until 2019-20.

24M would be in the right ballpark for Gordon. I would give parker 18M, but can see why some might not. there is also Julius randle, Derrick Favors, Isiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, etc available this summer.

Next year would be alot tougher, since we would either have extensions kick in for russell/RHJ or need to match any RFA offers they get. we would also have harris on his new deal and overall more team have cap space and could compete with us in free agency.

I agree on your opinion here... the problem is we have WAAAY too much money tied into veteren mentors who have little impact or dont even play (mozgov) and way too little money invested in young long term talent. Line makes 13, carroll 15, mozgov 16 million.

Carroll has value and can be dealt at the draft, we wouldnt need to buy him out. Lin and Mozgov would require buyouts.

We need veterans, but we should be getting veterans cheaper who play for the veterans minimum not guys taking up 45% of our cap room.

as far as diniwddie, its irrelevant. maybe he is good enough maybe not. but you have 3 young guys who could potentially be our PG of the future in diniwdidie, levert and russell. need to give the time to those guys, not rehabbing 30 year olds.

there is just no way to convince me that our cap is better spent on Lin then it is a player under 24 with all-star potential like Gordon

We don't need just veterans, but veterans who command authority with skill/playing time. Mozgov is a veteran but he can't command any respect if he doesn't play. Likewise, Acy may be a veteran but he can't be a leader as a bench player. Only Carroll and Lin qualify as true veteran leadership.

I have to admit, I'm a Lin fan, but so far, I can't really refute your buyout argument from what you've said so far -- maybe someone else can make a better compelling counterargument. I'm not completely convinced by your argument but you've made a reasonable one. But if a buyout is such a no-brainer, and then it doesn't happen, then someone will have to explain that scenario as well.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#566 » by Prokorov » Tue May 8, 2018 1:00 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

We don't need just veterans, but veterans who command authority with skill/playing time. Mozgov is a veteran but he can't command any respect if he doesn't play. Likewise, Acy may be a veteran but he can't be a leader as a bench player. Only Carroll and Lin qualify as true veteran leadership.

I have to admit, I'm a Lin fan, but so far, I can't really refute your buyout argument from what you've said so far -- maybe someone else can make a better compelling counterargument. I'm not completely convinced by your argument but you've made a reasonable one. But if a buyout is such a no-brainer, and then it doesn't happen, then someone will have to explain that scenario as well.

alot of moving parts, we will have to wait and see. a buyout and/or stretch would be the last piece, right before the knew the contract offer they would make to a free agent. if he stays, it would be a bit surprising. i can see it if we somehow moved carroll and mozgov maybe?
Aussiemongoose
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#567 » by Aussiemongoose » Tue May 8, 2018 3:08 pm

Even though I understand prok‘s argument about Brooklyn trading Jeremy Lin, I‘m pretty confident that Brooklyn won‘t trade him just yet. Brooklyn is always talking about culture. Jeremy is a big part of what they envision as to be a positive work ethic and he is a big role model for all players. Combine that with being one of Atkinson‘s favourites, and Atkinson having a close relationship with Mark‘s, that leaves me with the impression that they will at least give JLin some run until winter and then decide what to do. I really hope he can stay in Brooklyn!
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#568 » by Claud » Tue May 8, 2018 4:25 pm

Aussiemongoose wrote:Even though I understand prok‘s argument about Brooklyn trading Jeremy Lin, I‘m pretty confident that Brooklyn won‘t trade him just yet. Brooklyn is always talking about culture. Jeremy is a big part of what they envision as to be a positive work ethic and he is a big role model for all players. Combine that with being one of Atkinson‘s favourites, and Atkinson having a close relationship with Mark‘s, that leaves me with the impression that they will at least give JLin some run until winter and then decide what to do. I really hope he can stay in Brooklyn!

Lin has barely been around though. He'd been M.I.A for a long time until he showed up during the last few games of the season.

Lin has to prove he can come back from this major injury and still play at that level to even consider keeping him. If we go by past players enduring this injury then it doesn't look too great but I guess it is possible to be 100% back, we'll see.

Players like Russ, Levert and Dinwiddie have surpassed him in the rotation already since he's missed so much time due to injuries, etc.

Sucks Lin has had such rotten luck with us in BK but feels like that ship has sailed. Hope I'm wrong.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#569 » by steady » Tue May 8, 2018 7:05 pm

Claud wrote:
Aussiemongoose wrote:Even though I understand prok‘s argument about Brooklyn trading Jeremy Lin, I‘m pretty confident that Brooklyn won‘t trade him just yet. Brooklyn is always talking about culture. Jeremy is a big part of what they envision as to be a positive work ethic and he is a big role model for all players. Combine that with being one of Atkinson‘s favourites, and Atkinson having a close relationship with Mark‘s, that leaves me with the impression that they will at least give JLin some run until winter and then decide what to do. I really hope he can stay in Brooklyn!

Lin has barely been around though. He'd been M.I.A for a long time until he showed up during the last few games of the season.

Lin has to prove he can come back from this major injury and still play at that level to even consider keeping him. If we go by past players enduring this injury then it doesn't look too great but I guess it is possible to be 100% back, we'll see.

Players like Russ, Levert and Dinwiddie have surpassed him in the rotation already since he's missed so much time due to injuries, etc.

Sucks Lin has had such rotten luck with us in BK but feels like that ship has sailed. Hope I'm wrong.

It wasn't just the last few games of season. :-) He returned to full time play on March 1, 2017, and helped to turn around the team, which had been 1-27 in Jan-Feb of 2017.

Not saying I expect him to be tremendous. I just think none of us knows at this point what he will be.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#570 » by Prokorov » Tue May 8, 2018 7:47 pm

everything you said alos applies to Trevor Booker. and booker was traded. All of that culture stuff makes sense, until the 13 million gets in the way of being able to make an offer to a player like aaron gordon.

you can find guys who help with culture for alot less then lin makes. tons of vets looking for jobs
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#571 » by Prokorov » Tue May 8, 2018 7:48 pm

Claud wrote:

this misses the point. they need the money in the offseason, for free agency. once the season starts its irrelevant if they keep him or not because free agency would have already happened.

the entire point of a buyout woudl to be to clear cap to be a player in free agency
steady
Veteran

Post#572 » by steady » Tue May 8, 2018 8:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:

everything you said alos applies to Trevor Booker. and booker was traded. All of that culture stuff makes sense, until the 13 million gets in the way of being able to make an offer to a player like aaron gordon.

you can find guys who help with culture for alot less then lin makes. tons of vets looking for jobs

If Lin hasn’t bought in (when no one else would) when the Nets were at rock bottom — i think it would be different.

If DAR / Spencer / LeVert had played better to end the season and shown they were ready to be reliable PG options , it would be different

If the team was not sorely lacking veteran presence and leadership , I think it would be different

If the team was further along in their development and a big FA signing could change the calculus - I think it would be different

But given how all these factors play out , I think Lin will be given a chance to prove his worth this summer and likely during regular season before they make any decisions about him
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#573 » by Prokorov » Tue May 8, 2018 8:22 pm

steady wrote:If Lin hasn’t bought in (when no one else would) when the Nets were at rock bottom — i think it would be different.

Again, I don't see how this can possibly be true... if it were, Trevor Booker would still be a Net. You cant let older guys who aren't part of the future (or really a big part of the present) get in the way of improving your team/adding all-star talent. Loyalty is great, but you cant hurt the team just to keep a guy.

If DAR / Spencer / LeVert had played better to end the season and shown they were ready to be reliable PG options , it would be different

I think all 3 are clearly better option right now (non-objectively) and better options long term (objectively). Either way, this has nothing really to do with on court production anyhow, since wins arent very important and certainly not as importan as adding young all-star talent.

If the team was not sorely lacking veteran presence and leadership , I think it would be different

Carroll is the leader of this team. You can find other vets on the minimum as well.

If the team was further along in their development and a big FA signing could change the calculus - I think it would be different

There are several 25 and under players will all-star talent availble this offseason, Keeping Lin over them would not make much sense at all.

But given how all these factors play out , I think Lin will be given a chance to prove his worth this summer and likely during regular season before they make any decisions about him

once the regular starts its too late. if we dont buy him out before then its irrelevant. cap space does us no good once free agency ends
uballer
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#574 » by uballer » Tue May 8, 2018 8:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
steady wrote:If Lin hasn’t bought in (when no one else would) when the Nets were at rock bottom — i think it would be different.

Again, I don't see how this can possibly be true... if it were, Trevor Booker would still be a Net. You cant let older guys who aren't part of the future (or really a big part of the present) get in the way of improving your team/adding all-star talent. Loyalty is great, but you cant hurt the team just to keep a guy.

I think all 3 are clearly better option right now (non-objectively) and better options long term (objectively). Either way, this has nothing really to do with on court production anyhow, since wins arent very important and certainly not as importan as adding young all-star talent.

Carroll is the leader of this team. You can find other vets on the minimum as well.

There are several 25 and under players will all-star talent availble this offseason, Keeping Lin over them would not make much sense at all.

once the regular starts its too late. if we dont buy him out before then its irrelevant. cap space does us no good once free agency ends

It is quite obvious that you don't want to see Lin here in Nets as all your arguments were so weak and not rational. Let's just talk about basketball please.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#575 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue May 8, 2018 8:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Lin is different than Booker. Lin was Marks's first FA signing. Kenny was present at the creation of Linsanity. Lin is Tsai's favorite player. None of this applies to Booker. This being said, I think your buyout argument still holds.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#576 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue May 8, 2018 9:03 pm

Excellent breakdown and analysis of Lin and Roberson's patellar tendon injury, though understandably noncommittal on long term prognosis:

https://theinjuryinsight.com/lin-roberson-patellar-tendon-rupture/
steady
Veteran

Post#577 » by steady » Tue May 8, 2018 9:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Trevor Booker is not Jeremy Lin. Brett Brown said just a month or so ago that he thought the Nets looked promising and could really turn it around next season if Lin came back healthy. Noone has ever said such a thing about T Booker's impact on a team,
Much as I love Booker, let's be real. :)

Noone ever said when Booker was signed that they looked forward to seeing what Booker and Atkinson could do with the Nets -- Like Howard Beck said about Lin's signing.

Prokorov wrote:

I really don't know if Marks would agree with this statement. That the Nets have an urgency to add young all-star talent today, and that this need is more important than establishing a strong winning culture.

Prokorov wrote:

They need more than one vet leader; we saw the impact when Booker left. And just hiring a vet is not the same as getting a vet leader.

Prokorov wrote:

We really won't know what 'makes sense" until we have a better idea how well Lin is playing. If Lin is playing better than he was before injury, does it still make sense to buy him out before the regular season?

Prokorov wrote:

I just don't see Marks being in a huge rush this offseason. Nothing he has said indicates that; if anything, he has emphasized a possible increasing emphasis on winning, and also maintaining some continuity in personnel.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#578 » by bws94 » Wed May 9, 2018 3:14 am

uballer wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

It is quite obvious that you don't want to see Lin here in Nets as all your arguments were so weak and not rational. Let's just talk about basketball please.

Exactly. He's just playing GM and giving his scenario and desires for the team as official Nets policy.

I don't know what will happen with Lin, but if he can stay healthy, which is a big if, and if he still has some explosion left or at least has altered his game where he's still effective, another big and central if, that's a positive for the team. His relationship with Atkinson isn't anything like Booker's or Lopez or anyone else. They're very close. So, who knows? But Prok made his point a million times. Others feel different. Who knows who is right or wrong? Teams have a way of throwing curve balls we didn't see coming. Or things open up that we didn't know would, and that changes plans. We'll see.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#579 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed May 9, 2018 12:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Apparently, some Nets are in LA, working out at UCLA. Lin, Carroll, Mozgov, Harris, and Levert, and even former Net CMC, who didn't have his option picked up by the Wizards. Some thoughts:

1. Always good to see Lin on the road to recovery.
2. Good to see Levert learning from the veterans. It's easier to hang out with your own age cohort, but it takes wisdom to learn from the vets. I would love to see Jarrett there too. If you thought the Levert/Allen PNR connection was solid, the Lin/Allen mindmeld would've been even better (see Lin/Chandler, Lin/Davis).
3. I'm glad that Mozgov is staying positive and integrated with the team. If the Nets can just get 10 mpg from him, with decent 3pt shooting and hustling back on D, he might not be a complete waste.
4. I wonder how these partial squad workouts get determined. Does someone just send out a team email that says "whoever's interested in working out in LA in May, come on over?" Are there rifts if some people don't attend?
5. With the exception of Levert, this group is also sort of the non-long term Nets. LOL, is this team-building for naught?
6. Since CMC is a UFA, is he worth picking up?
pcheung08
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#580 » by pcheung08 » Wed May 9, 2018 3:14 pm

"Good to see Levert learning from the veterans. It's easier to hang out with your own age cohort, but it takes wisdom to learn from the vets. I would love to see Jarrett there too. If you thought the Levert/Allen PNR connection was solid, the Lin/Allen mindmeld would've been even better (see Lin/Chandler, Lin/Davis)."

Ed: Im a PnR guy, he's a PnR guy.

https://youtu.be/xG4eOEs4goI

Allen is also much better in the free throw%.

Return to Brooklyn Nets