ImageImageImageImageImage

The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread (Welcome Dzanan Musa, Radions Kurucs & Theo Pinson!)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Re: The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#121 » by moonpie » Fri Mar 2, 2018 8:17 pm

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,789

Post#122 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 3, 2018 2:33 am

kamaze wrote:So Brooklyn could potentially still get a 1st and 3 second round picks Marks you the man. :clap:

yep.

this is why i tell you to have patience my dude :nod: we're going to be killing sooner than later. watch.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#123 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 3, 2018 5:53 pm

I wouldn't be shocked to see RHJ or Dinwiddie moved to Philly for the 10th overall pick, or maybe both and the 28th for the 10th and 18th. Or something like RHJ for the 18th even.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,789

Post#124 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 3, 2018 8:53 pm

Trading RHJ for the 18th pick in the draft is a God awful idea. There is zero guarantee that you will get a player that's better than him in that range. Top 10 pick? Yes. 18? Nope. I wouldn't trade Dinwiddie either, the Nets have no business trading a PG right now when Russell is clearly not a PG.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#125 » by Paradise » Sat Mar 3, 2018 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#126 » by kamaze » Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:24 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Trading RHJ for the 18th pick in the draft is a God awful idea. There is zero guarantee that you will get a player that's better than him in that range. Top 10 pick? Yes. 18? Nope. I wouldn't trade Dinwiddie either, the Nets have no business trading a PG right now when Russell is clearly not a PG.

They need to add another point guard (I wouldn't mind them drafting one to be groomed by Lin, Dinwiddie) or picking up a vet point guard not trade the only one they have.

RHJ doesn't have to start next year if they can find someone better but there's no rush to make a move he's part of the culture and the front office likes continuity.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#127 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:10 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Trading RHJ for the 18th pick in the draft is a God awful idea. There is zero guarantee that you will get a player that's better than him in that range. Top 10 pick? Yes. 18? Nope.

I'm not saying I would do it, but I can see it happening.

I wouldn't trade Dinwiddie either, the Nets have no business trading a PG right now when Russell is clearly not a PG.

Well, on the other hand, Atkinson thinks he can be similar to Steve Nash. And in today's NBA there isn't an emphasis on point guard and shooting guard so as long as both can handle the ball, can play make, have good vision, etc. In fact, I'd say a lot of championship teams over the years didn't stress point guard and shooting guard so much as had a capable, or more so elite, playmaking guard.

Again though, I'm not saying I want to trade Dinwiddie, but at the point in a rebuild, Idk they need to worry about contract extensions and big money on the cap when they're just about to regain control of their own pick(s).

I mean if Marks can get the 10 and the 18 for RHJ and Dinwiddie, even throwing in the Toronto pick, I think they have to ultimately do it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,235

Post#128 » by Papi_swav » Mon Mar 5, 2018 4:59 am

So it looks like we will be picking at number 27-28ish ... Any potential future hall of famers at that spot ?
kamaze
General Manager

Post#129 » by kamaze » Mon Mar 5, 2018 7:55 am

They need a center a power forward a point guard and a shooting guard. Someone with high bball IQ that can switch on defense make the right plays on offense.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#130 » by kamaze » Mon Mar 5, 2018 7:59 am

The reason Dinwiddie's so valuable is he's a tall point guard that can plays defense he's got a high IQ, he's coachable. The only other player like him is S.Livingston.

hard work beats talent if talent doesn't want to work hard

twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#131 » by twosevenstreet » Mon Mar 5, 2018 1:38 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Older but interesting read on trading up. It's extremely expensive & more often than not backfires. Significant moves tend to involve players, not a combo of picks.

Recent trades from the article:
2014: Philly trades #10, Orlando trades #12 & a future first
2014: Denver trades #11, Chicago trades #16 & #19
2013:Minnesota trades #9, Utah trades #14 & #21
2011: NOLA trades #11 & MoPete, OKC trades #18 & #21

Adding one or two second round picks won't get us anywhere. It's better to build up a draft & stash war chest or trade for future picks.

Just this past draft we saw the 10th dealt for the 15 and the 20.

Richard Jefferson found his way here when Rod Thorn traded the 7th overall for the 13th, 18th and 23rd.

King dealt up from the 41st pick using Mason Plumlee for the 23rd.

27th and the 31st for the 24th in the Damion James deal.

13th overall(Donovan Mitchell) for the 24th and Trey Lyles, who had been a huge disappointment for 2 seasons.

I can keep digging. Point being there are a lot of trade ups, both multiple picks and a pick and player. Sometimes it gets you a healthy jump, sometimes just a handful of spots. Sometimes the team trading down does great. Sometimes the team trading up does.
We don't have the draft equity to "trade up." That's the point. We'd be trading a player or player & pick to get a higher pick. The original post talked about combining our picks to move up. It wouldn't really get us anywhere (unless you're including 2019).

Dinwiddie + Tor 1st should be able to get us Charlotte's 1st or Indy's 1st or Philly's 1st, basically a pick in the 14-16 range of course I only do this if someone slips like Khawi did and I think that guy may be Miles Bridges
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#132 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:01 pm

kamaze wrote:The reason Dinwiddie's so valuable is he's a tall point guard that can plays defense he's got a high IQ, he's coachable. The only other player like him is S.Livingston.

Dinwiddie is not a good defender. He's also too risk averse with no mid-range game. He can be a 5th starter on a good team, but he's a role player.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#133 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:10 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Just this past draft we saw the 10th dealt for the 15 and the 20.

Richard Jefferson found his way here when Rod Thorn traded the 7th overall for the 13th, 18th and 23rd.

13th overall(Donovan Mitchell) for the 24th and Trey Lyles, who had been a huge disappointment for 2 seasons.

I can keep digging. Point being there are a lot of trade ups, both multiple picks and a pick and player. Sometimes it gets you a healthy jump, sometimes just a handful of spots. Sometimes the team trading down does great. Sometimes the team trading up does.
We don't have the draft equity to "trade up." That's the point. We'd be trading a player or player & pick to get a higher pick. The original post talked about combining our picks to move up. It wouldn't really get us anywhere (unless you're including 2019).

Dinwiddie + Tor 1st should be able to get us Charlotte's 1st or Indy's 1st or Philly's 1st, basically a pick in the 14-16 range of course I only do this if someone slips like Khawi did and I think that guy may be Miles Bridges

Charlotte is at #10 (not happening), Philly is at #17 (best fit of player and slot) & Indiana is at #22 (possibly for Dinwiddie straight up). To get to Charlotte's pick, you'd have to add more value & take on a really bad contract.
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#134 » by twosevenstreet » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:15 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote: We don't have the draft equity to "trade up." That's the point. We'd be trading a player or player & pick to get a higher pick. The original post talked about combining our picks to move up. It wouldn't really get us anywhere (unless you're including 2019).

Charlotte is at #10 (not happening), Philly is at #17 (best fit of player and slot) & Indiana is at #22 (possibly for Dinwiddie straight up). To get to Charlotte's pick, you'd have to add more value & take on a really bad contract.

I probably should have looked at the standings before I made my post. That said, I NEED Marks to get us Miles Bridges (he's my draft crush, same as OG was last year)
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#135 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:55 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:

I probably should have looked at the standings before I made my post. That said, I NEED Marks to get us Miles Bridges (he's my draft crush, same as OG was last year)

I look at team/system fit, and I'm not sure an undersized PF fits what we need. Jackson Jr. was my way early draft crush, but that's got no chance of happening anymore. From a raw-talent, currently but not much longer under the radar perspective, the other Porter (Johntay) brother could be a great system fit.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#136 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:21 pm

kamaze wrote:They need a center a power forward a point guard and a shooting guard. Someone with high bball IQ that can switch on defense make the right plays on offense.

But unless you're getting a guy whose at least legitimate All Star level(potential) there's no sense in targeting positional needs with draft picks if you're just talking backups.

This roster has a lot of actual NBA players, but not many who jump off the page as potential stars. D-Lo could be. Certainly LeVert. RHJ as well to an extent. Even Dinwiddie could become like a Conley or 6'5 Lowry. And Jarrett Allen probably has the most potential on this team and is the one who I look at and say, that kid's definitely going to be a stud.

But... the point is, this team needs talent. They need to take gambles for picks and hit an out of the park, game winning grand salami. No more singles and doubles, not even triples, they need to at least hit a couple solo shot home runs.

Marks technically already has. He's done phenomenal with what he's had to work with. And none of these kids have necessarily hit their ceilings yet, hopefully most not even close. But still, is this the core you see going forward for a decade and eventually contending? Or even like Washington or Portland, or Toronto, where they're a perennial playoff team with some options to make a move or two to improve and have that, "if every last thing breaks right down to the letter they can make a one year for the history books run"?

With pick control back in this club's favor after this draft, this is the exact draft where Marks should take any reasonable gamble he has the chance to unless he feels the outgoing player is going to be a perennial top 50 in the league level player at absolute least, probably more so top 40.

By reasonable gamble I mean the obvious, of simple pick value, as in a team offers say the 10 for one of RHJ or Dinwiddie, but also reasonable gamble is a player who they have extremely high on their draft board starts slipping and the team at 15 offers a solid player and their pick for RHJ or Dinwiddie, that kind of gamble.

Say they think one of Kevin Knox or Miles Bridges is an eventual franchise level guy, or an All Star in the mold of a Klay Thompson, just as a 3/4 tweener like a Granger, which in the modern NBA is no longer a negative? They think Troy Brown is the next Jimmy Butler or Paul George?

That guy starts to "fall" and winds up right outside the lotto.

Clippers sneak in the playoffs this year, calls up on draft night and say 17 and Gallo for RHJ/Mozgov/28? You have to believe they jump on something like that.

Maybe same scenario and their guy is out there at 15? Phoenix calls up and says 15/Knight for Dinwiddie/Mozgov/28?
Have to jump on it if they really love a guy there.

Philly offers up the 11/18 for RHJ/Dinwiddie/28? Brooklyn jumps on that. But that one isn't very realistic when the 11/18 can probably get you up as high as 7 or land you an established but younger star player if one becomes available, maybe even Klay Thompson.

Gambles must be made, risk must be taken. The losing sucks as a fan. Has to be worse for the organisation. Much much worse for the players and staff. But having no lotto pick for 3 years, this is almost destined to be a 5 or 6 year rebuild with 4 or 5 years in the lotto, at best 3. This team is showing legitimate promise. Players individually as well. But if these moves are there on draft night, they're probably going to be jumped on.

Dinwiddie is an awesome story. RHJ is a very hard worker. But talent wins in this league.
They both have it, but as complimentary players in all likelihood.
This team still needs a lead stud around the same age range and one of the D-Lo, LeVert or Allen to become a 1b and the other 2 of that group and/or Crabbe to become very good complimentary guys.
They need to make a mark on this draft. They hit gold 2 years in a row and found a gem in the G League. Give them a pick even higher, in an even deeper draft, maybe they pull a San An and land an MVP candidate.

Because of looming contract situations and a number of other factors, RHJ and Dinwiddie are probably the odd men out imho, as long as another team sees them that way and makes a move for them this summer.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#137 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:23 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Just this past draft we saw the 10th dealt for the 15 and the 20.

Yup, I think Dinwiddie or RHJ with the Toronto 1st can get you into the 10 to 19 range and probably bring back a useful player or a bad contract less bad then Mozgod.

I like Bridges a lot myself, since last year. Really warming up to Troy Brown and Kevin Knox as well. These guys all have that hidden perennial All Star potential and really nice on/off ball games with big defensive potential.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#138 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:29 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
kamaze wrote:The reason Dinwiddie's so valuable is he's a tall point guard that can plays defense he's got a high IQ, he's coachable. The only other player like him is S.Livingston.

Dinwiddie is not a good defender. He's also too risk averse with no mid-range game. He can be a 5th starter on a good team, but he's a role player.

I tend to agree. If you look at his shooting percentages it's obvious as good as he's been, his role has been too large to remain efficient. That said, if he's risk averse, he's still super careful with the ball, turning it over very little for his responsibilities and usage and that's a great thing for any role he'll play going forward. I do question his impact when he's not a focal point though. He could be one of those classic cases of needs a big role to have a big impact, but not good enough to sustain that big role and when the reigns are pulled back it lowers his effectiveness, presenting a catch 22. Players like him are often also the classic top of the league 6xth man type. Comes in to change the pace and attack and when the starters are eventually subbed back in alongside him, he's in the groove and can coexist flawlessly. Guys like that usually bring back late teens to early 20's picks on their own when traded.

I don't know that he can coexist as a starter with D-Lo and for better or for worse, D-Lo is the present and the future. This will definitely be a factor this summer when Dinwiddie trade rumors swirl, the Nets brass has to have this mind already. It might be a bit of addition by subtraction for D-Lo and LeVert and whoever they draft if they get high enough to take a potential high impact guy who needs shots and opportunity.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#139 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:34 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Charlotte is at #10 (not happening), Philly is at #17 (best fit of player and slot) & Indiana is at #22 (possibly for Dinwiddie straight up). To get to Charlotte's pick, you'd have to add more value & take on a really bad contract.

I look at team/system fit, and I'm not sure an undersized PF fits what we need. Jackson Jr. was my way early draft crush, but that's got no chance of happening anymore. From a raw-talent, currently but not much longer under the radar perspective, the other Porter (Johntay) brother could be a great system fit.

Although I certainly don't love the idea of short pf's no matter where the game is going/has gone, I think we get obsessed over height sometimes. Bridges looks a legit 6'8 in sneakers with a long wingspan and he can shoot and finish, I think he'd be fine at the 4 a la Tobias Harris.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#140 » by shakendfries » Tue Mar 6, 2018 12:09 am

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Basically Jah with a reliable 3pt shot - I'll take it

ESPN Draft Stock Watch - Biggest Risers

Moritz Wagner | Michigan | 6-11 | Jr. | C

Overall ranking: No. 55

Wagner led Michigan to a second straight Big Ten tournament championship, scoring 63 points in 94 minutes over the course of four games, winning MVP honors in the process. His skill level was vividly on display during that run, as he's one of the most polished big men you'll find in all of college basketball in terms of his ability to stretch the floor, straight-line drive, score out of pick-and-rolls and operate with his back to the basket. Wagner proved to be a match-up nightmare for opposing coaches with one of the best offensive minds in college basketball pulling the strings from the sidelines.

After a very poor showing at last year's NBA draft combine, Wagner came into this season looking to address some of his shortcomings from a pro perspective. He has packed significant mass onto his frame and improved as a defensive rebounder, going from averaging a horrendous 5.2 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes as a sophomore to a very solid 9.0 as a junior. His lack of length, inability to cover ground on the perimeter and poor overall awareness continues to limit him as a defender on the whole, as he's not much of a rim protector, struggles to step outside of the paint and remains extremely prone to fouls on top of that, not always knowing how to channel his energy in a positive way.

Despite his limitations, and the diminishing market for players his size, there's still a role in today's NBA for a highly skilled big man who can space the floor and plays with a competitive spirit. Wagner is young for a junior, not turning 21 until the end of April, so he has time to continue to improve considering he was already a late bloomer to begin with. He'd likely get picked somewhere in the second round if he decided to keep his name in the draft but could also benefit from coming back for his senior year and continuing to work on his weaknesses, namely his defense, passing and overall feel for the game. --Givony
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18

Return to Brooklyn Nets