ImageImageImageImageImage

The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread (Welcome Dzanan Musa, Radions Kurucs & Theo Pinson!)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Re: The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:I don't think we'll be able to move up to get him but I think Kevin Knox could be Aaron Gordon-lite as a physical prospect but with a much more refined game under Kenny's tutelage.

I'm definitely a fan.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#302 » by Prokorov » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I don't think we'll be able to move up to get him but I think Kevin Knox could be Aaron Gordon-lite as a physical prospect but with a much more refined game under Kenny's tutelage.

I'm definitely a fan.

yup, i said it earlier in this thread. Knox is the guy id want and the best fit for the roster.

We really need an athletic, explosive wing badly. we have a couple athletic guys, but we need one who plays above the rim and lives in the paint.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#303 » by Prokorov » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:04 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:It depends on where you can get & who is available. Word was that Marks loved Donovan Mitchell, but had no way of getting up there. Mitchell fell to #13. If he loves a player that slides a bit, and he can trade Dinwiddie plus a 2019 1st (a reportedly weak draft) for a pick in the 10-15 range that lands a guy he views as Donovan Mitchell caliber, you do it. Maybe he can even get minimal protections on the pick (e.g. top 2 protected in 2019 & top 1 protected in 2020). In our situation, to trade a future pick it has to be for a player Marks feels will be a potential future star.

the thought of trading a 1st round pick makes my hands tremble.

I'd be OK with a scenario like that if he could put heavy protections on it in 2019, such as top 10 or so, then it conveys when we're hopefully in a better position, it would need like permanent top 8 protections though.

Same here. you cant let the past effect making the right move. and if the right move is trading a future first pick you do it. i know everyone is shell shocked because of billy king, but teams move up with future picks and have it work all the time.

im not saying to do it, but if we like a guy enough, and thats what it takes id be fine doing it. and yeah, adding protections is basically mandatory now for all teams.

Also there is a HUUUUUGE difference trading a future pick for a current pick vs. trading a future pick for a veteran player.
Sleepyazn
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#304 » by Sleepyazn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
the thought of trading a 1st round pick makes my hands tremble.

I'd be OK with a scenario like that if he could put heavy protections on it in 2019, such as top 10 or so, then it conveys when we're hopefully in a better position, it would need like permanent top 8 protections though.

Same here. you cant let the past effect making the right move. and if the right move is trading a future first pick you do it. i know everyone is shell shocked because of billy king, but teams move up with future picks and have it work all the time.

im not saying to do it, but if we like a guy enough, and thats what it takes id be fine doing it. and yeah, adding protections is basically mandatory now for all teams.

Also there is a HUUUUUGE difference trading a future pick for a current pick vs. trading a future pick for a veteran player.

I would have given up next years pick PROTECTED TOP 5 for a Mitchell.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#305 » by kamaze » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Sleepyazn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'd be OK with a scenario like that if he could put heavy protections on it in 2019, such as top 10 or so, then it conveys when we're hopefully in a better position, it would need like permanent top 8 protections though.

I would have given up next years pick PROTECTED TOP 5 for a Mitchell.

It's easy to say that now after seeing what Mitchell is but trading a future pick for him on draft day would've been insanity.
Billy King did that for the Argentina kid and he hasn't played for them yet while Josh Richardson looks good on the Heat.

Sean Marks: "We don't want to skip any steps in this rebuild.. That's when franchises dig themselves into a hole."
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#306 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

I'm definitely a fan.

yup, i said it earlier in this thread. Knox is the guy id want and the best fit for the roster.

We really need an athletic, explosive wing badly. we have a couple athletic guys, but we need one who plays above the rim and lives in the paint.
Agreed 100%. I like Knox because he provides athleticism and size and would be much cheaper to acquire than signing away or trading for AG.

These playoffs just prove to me that if you want a chance to compete in the playoffs it's imperative to have several athletic and long players. We're so undersized as a team.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#307 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm definitely a fan.

Agreed 100%. I like Knox because he provides athleticism and size and would be much cheaper to acquire than signing away or trading for AG.

These playoffs just prove to me that if you want a chance to compete in the playoffs it's imperative to have several athletic and long players. We're so undersized as a team.

Why I also love guys like Mikal Bridges, Zhaire Smith and J3 and like guys like Miles Bridges, Keita Bates-Diop, Hutchison, and on the smaller side Khyri Thomas and the unknown of Bowen.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#308 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm

I also don't know where Tyus Battle will land but I'd hate to see his athleticism and ability to drive go to waste on a team that can't develop players.

Put him with the right coach and I think he'd fit it in very well in this era.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,565

Post#309 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:19 am

I agree with everyone the need to improve the athleticism. But unless make a killer deal on draft night I don't really see anyone at the end of this draft that is going to move the needle. but we say that every year, so who knows.

I had a horrible thought today. What if this offseason's work with the players we have now helps big time and the Nets mess around and win 38-40 games next season?

It would be just our luck for the one year where we collectively hope to get at least a pick within the top 12, we'd end up being in danger of getting a lower lottery pick instead :lol: :lol: :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#310 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I agree with everyone the need to improve the athleticism. But unless make a killer deal on draft night I don't really see anyone at the end of this draft that is going to move the needle. but we say that every year, so who knows.

I had a horrible thought today. What if this offseason's work with the players we have now helps big time and the Nets mess around and win 38-40 games next season?

It would be just our luck for the one year where we collectively hope to get at least a pick within the top 12, we'd end up being in danger of getting a lower lottery pick instead
That's not a horrible thought. That's exactly what one should expect given how much the team has developed.

A terrible thought is the Nets being so bad (because all of their core members regressed, and) the player we end up selecting is a major bust.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#311 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 am

well i expect 32-35 wins next season. i just notice that the improvement comes when we have a lottery pick in a draft where the top 5 players might be generational types lol.

we'll never win. i'm just here for the fun games i guess.

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#312 » by DarkXaero » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:well i expect 32-35 wins next season. i just notice that the improvement comes when we have a lottery pick in a draft where the top 5 players might be generational types lol.

The timing window would have been much better if 2018 was the year instead when we finally end up having our own pick. We'd even have a realistic possibility of moving into top 5 or top 3 in this year's draft if we had our pick. But I guess Billy King envisioned the Nets being a playoffs team with 41 year old KG, and 40 year old Pierce in 2018.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#313 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:well i expect 32-35 wins next season. i just notice that the improvement comes when we have a lottery pick in a draft where the top 5 players might be generational types lol.

The timing window would have been much better if 2018 was the year instead when we finally end up having our own pick. We'd even have a realistic possibility of moving into top 5 or top 3 in this year's draft if we had our pick. But I guess Billy King envisioned the Nets being a playoffs team with 41 year old KG, and 40 year old Pierce in 2018.

He wasn't thinking that far ahead, clearly. What a moron.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#314 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 am

It wasn't all Billy King's fault Prokhorov's guys were behind a lot of the moves. The further away from personnel moves the better.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#315 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I agree with everyone the need to improve the athleticism. But unless make a killer deal on draft night I don't really see anyone at the end of this draft that is going to move the needle. but we say that every year, so who knows.

It would be just our luck for the one year where we collectively hope to get at least a pick within the top 12, we'd end up being in danger of getting a lower lottery pick instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

still good players to be had in the 14-15 range if we made the playoffs.

and there are a ton of super athletes at the top of round2 or #29. including Diallo who every one creamed their pants over before he went back to kentucky.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#316 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:

and there are a ton of super athletes at the top of round2 or #29. including Diallo who every one creamed their pants over before he went back to kentucky.

Diallo was definitely over-hyped last year, but now it feels like he's almost being disrespected. Unless there's something behind it, like attitude concerns, or he's straight up dumb as a box of rocks, a wing with his physical attributes, athletic ability, young age and desire to dig in on the defensive end should never last to pick 29, let alone the 2nd round.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#317 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 pm

kamaze wrote:It wasn't all Billy King's fault Prokhorov's guys were behind a lot of the moves. The further away from personnel moves the better.

Although there is certainly truth to this, a majority of the blame still has to fall on King. This year's pick especially.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#318 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 pm

I've been saying this for the longest time. This might be a case where our development progresses faster than what is beneficial for us.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#319 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 pm

SpeedyG wrote:

I've been saying this for the longest time. This might be a case where our development progresses faster than what is beneficial for us.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what will happen :lol:

i mean at the end of the day, if we can still get a lottery pick and we see progression to the point where we're close to a playoff spot, that will be a huge success.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#320 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Diallo was definitely over-hyped last year, but now it feels like he's almost being disrespected. Unless there's something behind it, like attitude concerns, or he's straight up dumb as a box of rocks, a wing with his physical attributes, athletic ability, young age and desire to dig in on the defensive end should never last to pick 29, let alone the 2nd round.

Have you watched him play? He's very limited the guy can't shoot.

Return to Brooklyn Nets