ImageImageImageImageImage

The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread (Welcome Dzanan Musa, Radions Kurucs & Theo Pinson!)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MakeItSplash
Junior
And1: 398

Re: The Nets 2018 NBA Draft Thread (#29, #40, #45 picks) 

Post#561 » by MakeItSplash » Mon Jun 4, 2018 12:51 am

kamaze wrote:Yutu looks good the lefty can shoot, dribble defend and is a passer. I hope he's not getting overlooked because he's Japanese.

I was going to post about Yuta sooner, but I was waiting for him to get some NBA workouts first. He was previously a PG in Japan and then got a growth spurt, so he also comes with guard traits as well.But like you said, his game does match the modern NBA style that can defend multiple positions including point guards and was recently named the A-10 Defensive conference player of the year. I think due to his size and multiple skillset, teams will give him a look. He's not an iso type player, but will fit into the 3&D role. What I want to see is if he gets a chance and develops with an NBA team (including in the G-League), will the NBA style actually be a better fit for him than the college game.

There has never been a Japanese or Asian player for that matter with the combination of size and skills before him on the wing (generally it was Centers), so in his case the marketing helps him. We will see what that type of attention actually brings him though (since it can be a blessing and a curse). It's still early but just like Lin, it only takes one offer so that he can try to prove he can play at the next level. I think the Mavs will definitely give him a look at least in the summer league, if no other NBA team does, since they've given many Asian players a chance before, including Lin. He's also one of the "high character" players.

There is another future Japanese (half Beninese) prospect, Rui Hachimura, who is 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan that plays at Gonzaga.
bballfan1three3 wrote:So confused... His name is Dante Divencenzo. An Italian name. Italians are white now???? Strange he doesn't even speak Czech or Romanian how can he claim to be a white. Plus Italians have black hair (usually) so that doesn't make sense either
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#562 » by Netaman » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:21 pm

By the way as happy as I'd be to see Marks trade up and get any lotto player in this draft, Bridges isn't exactly Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell. He's a relatively low upside pick. The 2 best upsides I could maybe point if I were stretching would be Granger/Leonard - there are some similarities with each but I think Bridges chances of getting there are extremely remote. A better D Harrison Barnes would be a great outcome for Bridges and great addition for this roster.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#563 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:46 pm

Netaman wrote:By the way as happy as I'd be to see Marks trade up and get any lotto player in this draft, Bridges isn't exactly Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell. He's a relatively low upside pick. The 2 best upsides I could maybe point if I were stretching would be Granger/Leonard - there are some similarities with each but I think Bridges chances of getting there are extremely remote. A better D Harrison Barnes would be a great outcome for Bridges and great addition for this roster.

I've had his ceiling comparisons all over the place, although mainly Granger or ultimate upside he makes a Kawhi like jump, but reasonable/likely case, ironically I still see him a lot like Kittles at the 3, with shades of RJ.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,344

Post#564 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:00 pm

Danny Granger isn't a bad ceiling, he was a beast before he got hurt.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
IcyVeins
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#565 » by IcyVeins » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:16 pm

Pretty much every third party website has the Nets drafting a guard in the first round besides Wagner (UMICH).

Brunson, Robinson, Dicenzo, and Frazier.

Makes you wonder....
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#566 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:06 pm

IcyVeins wrote:Pretty much every third party website has the Nets drafting a guard in the first round besides Wagner (UMICH).

Makes you wonder....

Marks will go best player available regardless of position. There is nothing to read into beyond BPA.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#567 » by kamaze » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:25 pm

IcyVeins wrote:Pretty much every third party website has the Nets drafting a guard in the first round besides Wagner (UMICH).

Makes you wonder....

Those sites are guessing Brooklyn always keeps their plans close to the vest.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Sleepyazn
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#568 » by Sleepyazn » Tue Jun 5, 2018 3:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Danny Granger isn't a bad ceiling, he was a beast before he got hurt.

Seriously 25 points per game and 40% from 3 is **** awesome. If u can get a player that can come close to that from the 29th pick then u hit the jackpot
IcyVeins
Sophomore

Post#569 » by IcyVeins » Tue Jun 5, 2018 3:18 am

TheNetsFan wrote:

Makes you wonder....

Marks will go best player available regardless of position. There is nothing to read into beyond BPA.

If it's the bpa and it's a guard, how will the minutes play out?

Unless people get injured and traded, definitely will be a huge problem.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#570 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 5, 2018 3:47 am

Sleepyazn wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Danny Granger isn't a bad ceiling, he was a beast before he got hurt.

Seriously 25 points per game and 40% from 3 is **** awesome. If u can get a player that can come close to that from the 29th pick then u hit the jackpot

Bridges isn't slipping outside of the top 15 picks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#571 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:25 am

IcyVeins wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Makes you wonder....

You don't pass on Jordan and take Bowie because you have Clyde.

You take bpa and balance via trade. Lin and Din have one year left on their deals. I expect one or neither to be retained beyond this season. The depth/strength of this draft's late first and early second rounds are at guard. So be it. It'll make it that much easier to swallow a Dinwiddie trade. If we can land #14, the depth in that range is at the forward positions.
IcyVeins
Sophomore

Post#572 » by IcyVeins » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:58 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
IcyVeins wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Marks will go best player available regardless of position. There is nothing to read into beyond BPA.

You take bpa and balance via trade. Lin and Din have one year left on their deals. I expect one or neither to be retained beyond this season. The depth/strength of this draft's late first and early second rounds are at guard. So be it. It'll make it that much easier to swallow a Dinwiddie trade. If we can land #14, the depth in that range is at the forward positions.

You essentially have

DLO, Spencer, Caris, Lin (pg)
Crabbe, Harris (SG)

Potentially, alot of these 6 can overlap multiple positions...

However, the nets have zero depth in big man.

Even without adding another guard, the rotation is going to screw over 1-2 players, but imagine if you add another guard....

Team is going to have to trade at least 2 players out of those 6 if they draft a guard because all those prospects are upperclassman that are ready now.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#573 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 5, 2018 10:57 am

No one knows what Marks has planned so there's really no point in worrying about minutes in the backcourt in June.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#574 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 5, 2018 10:58 am

Sleepyazn wrote:

seriously :lol: if Marks finds a player like that at 29 he needs to be given a 10 year extension

brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#575 » by brook » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:02 am

I'm Italian, so obviously I'm Happy if the Nets draft Donte DiVincenzo :D

You guys think he can be a good choice with #29 pick?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#576 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:16 am

IcyVeins wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
IcyVeins wrote:

You essentially have

Crabbe, Harris (SG)

Even without adding another guard, the rotation is going to screw over 1-2 players, but imagine if you add another guard....

Team is going to have to trade at least 2 players out of those 6 if they draft a guard because all those prospects are upperclassman that are ready now.
I expect Dinwiddie to get traded, Lin to be traded or not retained beyond this year, and Crabbe and Harris to play a lot of SF minutes, with Carroll traded or not retained beyond this year.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#577 » by Prokorov » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:09 pm

IcyVeins wrote:You essentially have

Crabbe, Harris (SG)

It doesnt matter if we have zero depth at big man -- we are in talent acquisition mode, not win now mode. Further cant really expect the #29 pick to be some huge impact bigman/role player. odds are they are a mediocure backup no better then what you can get on the cheap in free agency

you take the most talented guy, regardless of position

as far as the logjam at gaurd and "screwing guys over". that is a non issue as well. Lin is a 30 year old coming off 2 lost seasons to injury an has 1 year left. he isnt in the plans, if he sits he sits. dinwiddie may be healthy and younger, but again, has 1 year left and likely isnt worth a big deal.

Levert/DLo are the future at the position or at least the guys we need to give the minutes to and evaluate if they are. also, the guy we d raft at #29 may not get minutes and may not even play much in the NBA this year and may end up in the Dleague. this isnt some lotto pick star we are getting.

team doesnt need to make trades but they can if one helps. you sit lin an dinwiddies minutes get cut into for levert/Dlo being starters andd getting more minutes this year, similar to last year. if the rookie plays his way into the rotation thats a GOOD thing.

but Lin is an old injured lame duck and dinwiddie is a lame duck himself.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#578 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:24 pm

brook wrote:I'm Italian, so obviously I'm Happy if the Nets draft Donte DiVincenzo :D

I would welcome him. He fits right into the system and he competes.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#579 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
brook wrote:I'm Italian, so obviously I'm Happy if the Nets draft Donte DiVincenzo :D

I would welcome him. He fits right into the system and he competes.

I would sign up for Donte right now, but I' be surprised if he lasts until #29
IcyVeins
Sophomore

Post#580 » by IcyVeins » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:58 pm

Prokorov wrote:
IcyVeins wrote:You essentially have

Crabbe, Harris (SG)

It doesnt matter if we have zero depth at big man -- we are in talent acquisition mode, not win now mode. Further cant really expect the #29 pick to be some huge impact bigman/role player. odds are they are a mediocure backup no better then what you can get on the cheap in free agency

you take the most talented guy, regardless of position

as far as the logjam at gaurd and "screwing guys over". that is a non issue as well. Lin is a 30 year old coming off 2 lost seasons to injury an has 1 year left. he isnt in the plans, if he sits he sits. dinwiddie may be healthy and younger, but again, has 1 year left and likely isnt worth a big deal.

Levert/DLo are the future at the position or at least the guys we need to give the minutes to and evaluate if they are. also, the guy we d raft at #29 may not get minutes and may not even play much in the NBA this year and may end up in the Dleague. this isnt some lotto pick star we are getting.

team doesnt need to make trades but they can if one helps. you sit lin an dinwiddies minutes get cut into for levert/Dlo being starters andd getting more minutes this year, similar to last year. if the rookie plays his way into the rotation thats a GOOD thing.

but Lin is an old injured lame duck and dinwiddie is a lame duck himself.

So, what are you going to say when Kenny appoints him as a starter......

Return to Brooklyn Nets