Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread 

Post#341 » by steady » Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:51 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:character wise, what has he done that has made you think he's not up to par? i haven't heard or seen anything from him that says "bad kid", at least while he's been here.

Okafor's been battling weight issues for years now. I get some guys carry weight but I do think it's an easy way to see how hard someone's working. How they take care of their body. This was the first training camp he came in notably skinnier.

His first highlight after getting drafted was knocking some drunk dude out after calling him a broke boi outside of a club. He took shots at the Philly coaching staff after the trade. Even Russell, who was in a literal circus, kept it classy after getting traded.

On and off the court, I just don't see the fire man.

I'm not saying he's a bad kid or irredeemable. But we have some HIGH character guys. And it makes them tough to let go even if they're not performing. I think he's neutral at best. Which is fine if you're good.

I will say this in his defense. I didn't love how self serving that Players Tribune piece that he penned a couple of months ago was, but I did feel how strongly his family loved him and what a tight and sort of high character group they seemed as a whole. That gave me some sympathy for him.

He's legitimately had a rough ride. He wasn't just a fluke number 1 pick like Anthony Bennett. He was a number 3 pick that pretty much everyone agreed was a legitimate top 3 pick. And his ride since then has been very rough, and for the reasons that MGrand mentions is unlikely to get much easier going forward.

So I root for him to succeed because he is an underdog. But I also don't want the Nets to get sucked into a vortex of trying to salvage a player who really does not work in their system. I think if KA does not see something good from him by the offseason, there's a significant chance he does not return. Simply because, with how well Marks picks players, that roster spot is too valuable.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#342 » by shakendfries » Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:00 pm

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#343 » by Black Mage » Wed Mar 7, 2018 3:00 am

Reading this thread was like a walk down memory lane from the Sixers board for Jah. The stages are:

1. Excitement.
2. Disbelief that he could have such glaring holes.
3. Defiance, his offense is so good his defense doesn't matter.
4. Frustration as you realize his offense isn't as good as advertised and his lack of effort on defense is getting old.
5. Saddened acceptance that he just isn't going to work out.
6. Indifference, you are just as happy to see him sit on the bench rather than see him play.

I had hoped a change would stoke his engine, but the sad reality is he is a lazy player. When on the Sixers it would drive me nuts when on a pnr he wouldn't do anything, not even put his freaking arms up to try and deter the guard from shooting. Like seriously, how hard is it to put your freaking arms up.

I will keep hoping that you guys can reach him. Best of luck.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#344 » by sixerguy » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:56 pm

Man, Fruck all of yalls..
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#345 » by Black Mage » Wed Mar 7, 2018 11:33 pm

tao_jin wrote:Image

Man, Fruck all of yalls..

That showed more that he is lazy in general than it showed that he didn't want to be a Sixer.
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#346 » by KG_Wolves » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Haven't seen many updates about Jah lately, I take it Kenny is done with him. :-?

Guess he is another Beasley/China/reclamation project
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#347 » by FlipFlopShot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm

KG_Wolves wrote:Haven't seen many updates about Jah lately, I take it Kenny is done with him. :-?

Nah, the more talented they are, the longer it takes to conform them into our grit and grind system. We should be nearly finished with breaking him down. We're about to begin reforging him into something new. We can't juice him up with our secret sauce and then he leaves.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#348 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:54 pm

KG_Wolves wrote:Haven't seen many updates about Jah lately, I take it Kenny is done with him. :-?

Jah played Sunday night, he looked good before he had to go out with a busted mouth or something
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#349 » by KG_Wolves » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Jah played Sunday night, he looked good before he had to go out with a busted mouth or something

Oh, I missed the last few games, I remember he was sat out for a stretch of like 2 weeks.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#350 » by steady » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:35 am

I feel for Jah but I am getting the tiniest bit annoyed by his they haven’t said what I need to do just to stay ready /. line about his conversations with KA. If he doesn’t realize that his defense / rebounding need to get better without KA specifically saying that to him .. I don’t know what to say
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#351 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:41 am

steady wrote:I feel for Jah but I am getting the tiniest bit annoyed by his they haven’t said what I need to do just to stay ready /. line about his conversations with KA. If he doesn’t realize that his defense / rebounding need to get better without KA specifically saying that to him .. I don’t know what to say

His defense and rebounding have been his achilles dating back to high school/Duke.

The Sixers made it clear it was holding him back and the main reason he flaked out here. Maybe he will suddenly get it, but some guys just simply don't have it in them ala Michael Beasley.

Taking contracts, etc into consideration, the Nets are probably much better off investing there time and focus on developing Jarrett Allen. He seems to have the tools to become a solid piece.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#352 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm

They arent playing him until he can demonstrate he can play how they need him to. pick and roll baskeball mainly and being in shape for our pace. nets arent trying to win games. there is no rush
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#353 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm

steady wrote:I feel for Jah but I am getting the tiniest bit annoyed by his they haven’t said what I need to do just to stay ready /. line about his conversations with KA. If he doesn’t realize that his defense / rebounding need to get better without KA specifically saying that to him .. I don’t know what to say

i dont think either of those are why he isnt playing. his offense is a much bigger concern. he is an offensive player, if he cant merge/adapt to how we play on offense he isnt worth keeping.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#354 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:

His defense and rebounding have been his achilles dating back to high school/Duke.

The Sixers made it clear it was holding him back and the main reason he flaked out here. Maybe he will suddenly get it, but some guys just simply don't have it in them ala Michael Beasley.

Taking contracts, etc into consideration, the Nets are probably much better off investing there time and focus on developing Jarrett Allen. He seems to have the tools to become a solid piece.

youcan do both. allen is being scaled down to 15-20 mpg and may be shut down before seasons end
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#355 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 am

Black Mage wrote:4. Frustration as you realize his offense isn't as good as advertised

He averaged 21ppg per36 as a rookie, it can't be that bad?

If he never improved or got worse, could it be cuz of his knee problems?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#356 » by Black Mage » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:23 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Black Mage wrote:4. Frustration as you realize his offense isn't as good as advertised

Afraid not. He doesn't have a refined post game. He hand one or two moves but never developed counter moves. He also moves slow with the ball and needs time to gear up and decide to drive. This is how he becomes a black hole. Everything requires him to prepare mentally and physically to make a move.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#357 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 am

Black Mage wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Afraid not. He doesn't have a refined post game. He hand one or two moves but never developed counter moves. He also moves slow with the ball and needs time to gear up and decide to drive. This is how he becomes a black hole. Everything requires him to prepare mentally and physically to make a move.

Not having a post game is irrelevant here. the nets dont want guys posting up, even bigs. His issue is he isnt a strong pick and roll player. he needs to become that to get burn here. he is skilled enough to add a three at some point. i dont think defense matters, he isnt here for defense.

he needs to score in the pick and roll, impose some will on the offensive glass, and score in the natural motion of our offense.

i just dont think he is a fit for those things. but he hasnt been here long at all. im willing to see if he can evolve his game

Return to Brooklyn Nets