ImageImageImageImageImage

Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Re: Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread 

Post#161 » by kamaze » Sun Jan 7, 2018 7:31 pm

Jah played great last game 12 points off the bench with him creating his own shot. He's got good footwork and some nice moves they can just pass it to him and let him go to work. Once he gets comfortable and has more stamina look out.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#162 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun Jan 7, 2018 8:10 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Really think Marks found a good way out of the Billy King pit by grabbing the #2 & #3 picks in the 2015 draft. These guys are motivated and excited to be here, and just have a massive chip on their shoulder from how they were treated by their original teams.

I'd really love to see Okafor make his way into the starting lineup by the end of the season. But first keep making progress in small steps.

I want him signing a new workable minimum contract, that's me personally wanting that. And we'll compensate him when he becomes what he can.

I think the most reasonable offer would be in the range of 5 mill per year for 2 years and a team option. However there’s a good chance one of the teams with cap space throws him a big 1 year deal and screws up all of our plans.
LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#163 » by LKIRNets » Sun Jan 7, 2018 8:34 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Really think Marks found a good way out of the Billy King pit by grabbing the #2 & #3 picks in the 2015 draft. These guys are motivated and excited to be here, and just have a massive chip on their shoulder from how they were treated by their original teams.

I'd really love to see Okafor make his way into the starting lineup by the end of the season. But first keep making progress in small steps.

I want him signing a new workable minimum contract, that's me personally wanting that. And we'll compensate him when he becomes what he can.

I think the most reasonable offer would be in the range of 5 mill per year for 2 years and a team option. However there’s a good chance one of the teams with cap space throws him a big 1 year deal and screws up all of our plans.

this is where his friendship wit DLo comes in hand. And experience of how other teams won't care for you like we do.

Is he willing to leave 4-5 million for a potential longer career.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#164 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:49 am

LKIRNets wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:I want him signing a new workable minimum contract, that's me personally wanting that. And we'll compensate him when he becomes what he can.

this is where his friendship wit DLo comes in hand. And experience of how other teams won't care for you like we do.

Is he willing to leave 4-5 million for a potential longer career.

I actually think his friendship with DLo will play a major role in him wanting to stay here, and probably to a lesser extent, how the Nets took care of him and gave him that second chance. I do think he enjoys Brooklyn itself too. Wasn't there a piece done on him taking the train from Philly to NYC just to see movies all day?
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#165 » by steady » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:55 am

Frankly I think the single biggest draw would be Atkinson and coaching staff -- Jah strikes me as player who really wants to improve and appreciates every bit of help they give him

Second the sense of family and sense of caring and excellence that permeates the organization from top down

Third the teammates and the tight knit culture - which kind of flows from (2) plus the great group of guys they have . With DAngelo being front and center
If ever there was a misfit NBA player that should appreciate the Nets it is Jan. But we will see how it plays out once season ends and hard numbers enter equation.. it's hard to predict now
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#166 » by Ror1997 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:04 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:

If he goes for the Payday over seeing things through in this second chance he was given in Brooklyn....then him leaving would be a good thing. You don't want that kinda guy on the team. You want people who're serious about getting better.

Okafor seem to have bought in to what Marks+KA are doing with him. I think he'll stay.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,561

Post#167 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:04 pm

Why would we pay him a minimum contract? Give him the six mil that we can only offer him for one season and operate out of good faith.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#168 » by Ror1997 » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Why would we pay him a minimum contract? Give him the six mil that we can only offer him for one season and operate out of good faith.

Who said that?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,561

Post#169 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 8, 2018 2:24 pm

Here:

LKIRNets wrote:

I understand its a business, but acting out of good faith goes a long way...I think the Nets should pay him what they are allowed to pay him under the rules and go from there. if he decides to leave for a bigger deal by a team who tries to undercut us, then hey, that says more about him than the Nets.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#170 » by ZemGOAT » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:30 pm

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jahlil-okafor-on-your-radar/
Great Read
Article by Jahlil
lowkey i did cry
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#171 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:40 pm

ZemGOAT wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jahlil-okafor-on-your-radar/
Great Read
Article by Jahlil

Amazing. :cry: :clap:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#172 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 8, 2018 8:00 pm

Okafor looked the most explosive I've seen him ever vs Boston I think he has some untapped potential there if he works out, he is clearly underdeveloped, he ain't fat or blatantly out of shape, but he hasn't taken advantage of his frame either, hasn't built core strength
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#173 » by ZemGOAT » Mon Jan 8, 2018 9:31 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Great Read
Article by Jahlil

I got your private message. Thanks for looking out. :D
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#174 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Jan 8, 2018 9:49 pm

ZemGOAT wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Great Read
Article by Jahlil

I got your private message. Thanks for looking out. :D

Got you bro.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#175 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Jan 8, 2018 11:25 pm

Great Read
Article by Jahlil
lowkey i did cry

After reading this article, i am on the Okafor bandwagon. It's like how I felt after reading the Levert Tribune article.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#176 » by Prokorov » Mon Jan 8, 2018 11:57 pm

Ror1997 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:I want him signing a new workable minimum contract, that's me personally wanting that. And we'll compensate him when he becomes what he can.

If he goes for the Payday over seeing things through in this second chance he was given in Brooklyn....then him leaving would be a good thing. You don't want that kinda guy on the team. You want people who're serious about getting better.

Okafor seem to have bought in to what Marks+KA are doing with him. I think he'll stay.

its a win-win. the contract limitations protect us from ourselves.

he isnt worth 10+ million, even as a 17+ ppg player. you cant invest that kind of money into centers in todays NBA if they arent defensive anchors or super elite (i.e. cousins)

if he takes 8m over 6m you dont want a guy willing to leave a good spot for minor cash.

i wouldnt want him for more then 6M under any circumstance, so im glad thats all marks can offer
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#177 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:00 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Here:

LKIRNets wrote:

I understand its a business, but acting out of good faith goes a long way...I think the Nets should pay him what they are allowed to pay him under the rules and go from there. if he decides to leave for a bigger deal by a team who tries to undercut us, then hey, that says more about him than the Nets.

good faith doesnt work for me. if he shows hes worth 6 million give him that. if not offer him less if he walks he walks
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#178 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:03 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Great Read
Article by Jahlil
lowkey i did cry

After reading this article, i am on the Okafor bandwagon. It's like how I felt after reading the Levert Tribune article.

i love his attitude and you can tell he is really loving this change of scenery

for me it all comes down to his fit in todays NBA. to me scoring centers are the toughest... cause their payscale is more then there worth. like Lopez, Monroe, Valancuinas... talente productive guys but its not conducive paying them 10-15+ million
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#179 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Jan 9, 2018 12:21 am

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
Great Read
Article by Jahlil
lowkey i did cry

i love his attitude and you can tell he is really loving this change of scenery

for me it all comes down to his fit in todays NBA. to me scoring centers are the toughest... cause their payscale is more then there worth. like Lopez, Monroe, Valancuinas... talente productive guys but its not conducive paying them 10-15+ million

I like the fact that he recognizes his need to improve his defense, his positional rebounding, and his maturity. Self-awareness is key to improvement.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#180 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Jan 9, 2018 2:01 am

that article he wrote was something else. Happy to learn more about to kid and glad I can easily root for him to succeed here.

Return to Brooklyn Nets