ImageImageImageImageImage

Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Re: Jah Freed! - The Jahlil Okafor Thread 

Post#201 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 am

SubZero wrote:Had zero rebounds but imo did a solid job of boxing out on D. For the most part, it wasn't like he was just ball watching when shots hit the rim. Like his activity

Nice stepping stone game for him

he has to release his man earlier. It's stopping him from rebounding.

But a definite stepping stone game.
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#202 » by KG_Wolves » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 am

Good to see the efficient scoring inside tonight, this is a good start to build confidence, next focus should be rebounding.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Post#203 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm

LKIRNets wrote:That's how you set a screen. That's how I want my bigs setting a screen.

and he cut hard right afterwards and got the ball right back. Textbook stuff.

Got to credit the coaching staff. There was a noticeable difference about the way Jahlil was used last night and it paid off.

and look at the attention he drew. i forgot how this play ended but if Jah is head's up that's an easy dish to Acy for an open corner 3.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#204 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:That's how you set a screen. That's how I want my bigs setting a screen.

and he cut hard right afterwards and got the ball right back. Textbook stuff.

Got to credit the coaching staff. There was a noticeable difference about the way Jahlil was used last night and it paid off.

and look at the attention he drew. i forgot how this play ended but if Jah is head's up that's an easy dish to Acy for an open corner 3.

This was a missed bucket but he drew the shooting foul.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,584

Post#205 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

No Tyler Zeller tonight. But knowing Kenny he’ll probably start Quincy Acy at center. :nonono:
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#206 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:No Tyler Zeller tonight. But knowing Kenny he’ll probably start Quincy Acy at center. :nonono:

Jarrett Allen is probably starting. Yall need to lay off Atkinson. There is a small chance Jahlil Okafor starts b/c Kenny did say he was tempted to have him finish last night. Which means he liked what he saw.

And Quincy Acy is good for what we need from him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,641

Post#207 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say it was great seeing Okafor getting some time last night. You can really tell that he has bought into what the coaching staff is telling him. He was screening hard (something he's never really done) and played with effort the entire time out there.

Defensively he made some mistakes but I don't think his flaws are unfixable, he is really big with his wingspan and moves fairly well. He just needs to keep listening to the coaching staff and putting in the effort. He's still doing the same thing with his rebounding, he does a solid job boxing out his man, just needs to release and go after the ball.

Offensively I thought he looked really good. The main thing that stood out to me was how well he moved off the ball. He did a great job of giving up the ball and moving to get into a better spot. His 17 points in his 12 minutes really felt like it came with the flow of the offense.

Just gotta give huge props to your guys coaching staff and front office. Somehow even with a lack of picks, you guys have a nice stable of solid young players and a coaching staff that gets them all to buy in. Very fun team.
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#208 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say it was great seeing Okafor getting some time last night. You can really tell that he has bought into what the coaching staff is telling him. He was screening hard (something he's never really done) and played with effort the entire time out there.

Defensively he made some mistakes but I don't think his flaws are unfixable, he is really big with his wingspan and moves fairly well. He just needs to keep listening to the coaching staff and putting in the effort. He's still doing the same thing with his rebounding, he does a solid job boxing out his man, just needs to release and go after the ball.

YES THIS!
Offensively I thought he looked really good. The main thing that stood out to me was how well he moved off the ball. He did a great job of giving up the ball and moving to get into a better spot. His 17 points in his 12 minutes really felt like it came with the flow of the offense.

Just gotta give huge props to your guys coaching staff and front office. Somehow even with a lack of picks, you guys have a nice stable of solid young players and a coaching staff that gets them all to buy in. Very fun team.

thanks bro, we hope Jah stays here and is a part of the culture for long time.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#209 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say it was great seeing Okafor getting some time last night. You can really tell that he has bought into what the coaching staff is telling him. He was screening hard (something he's never really done) and played with effort the entire time out there.

YES THIS!

As a fan of Okafor's I was kind of skeptical of Brooklyn as a good landing spot for him. With Allen being there already I thought he would find himself in a similar spot as Philly with Noel and Embiid already being there. But it looks like Atkins is doing a great job of having everyone buying in, really curious how he handles the Allen/Okafor situation. I think Okafor in an Enes Kanter role in what he had in OKC (coming off the bench for Adams and playing alongside him) might be perfect for him. So ya I'm really hoping he sticks around with you guys, it appears he found a perfect spot for him.

And ya his rebounding numbers can be frustrating but while I'm watching, I rarely see him getting abused by his guy so the lack of rebounds don't really stand out. But he also doesn't have any impact on the boards either and that needs to change. Just needs to work on his timing and aggression.
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#210 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:

YES THIS!

As a fan of Okafor's I was kind of skeptical of Brooklyn as a good landing spot for him. With Allen being there already I thought he would find himself in a similar spot as Philly with Noel and Embiid already being there. But it looks like Atkins is doing a great job of having everyone buying in, really curious how he handles the Allen/Okafor situation. I think Okafor in an Enes Kanter role in what he had in OKC (coming off the bench for Adams and playing alongside him) might be perfect for him. So ya I'm really hoping he sticks around with you guys, it appears he found a perfect spot for him.

And ya his rebounding numbers can be frustrating but while I'm watching, I rarely see him getting abused by his guy so the lack of rebounds don't really stand out. But he also doesn't have any impact on the boards either and that needs to change. Just needs to work on his timing and aggression.

the performance team is working wit him to learn a consistent 20-23 foot jump shot. We did it wit Acy and Zeller. But the goal is to have Jah and Afro out there at the same time.

I've watched every possession wit him, his tendency when it comes to rebounding is he doesn't release early his man and he ends up 1 foot out of position b/c of it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#211 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:No Tyler Zeller tonight. But knowing Kenny he’ll probably start Quincy Acy at center. :nonono:

Versus Gortat? Allen probably gets the nod. Here is his chance to make a claim on that spot

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#212 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Last night was barely scratching the surface. I'm glad he's here. He adds a different gear to our offense. Now we do not have to live and die by the 3.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#213 » by Claud » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Zeller is a solid rotation big that fits our system but at some point you gotta give all of the minutes to Allen and Oak.

These 2 guys can be core pieces going forward and they need to get their PT to develop.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#214 » by steady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:

YES THIS!

Yes Enes Kanter type role is what I see too. And regarding Atkinson approach with him

“I know everybody wants him to score 30 points and he wants to do it, but I thought he made the right plays,” Atkinson said. “He’s understanding what we’re doing, and it’s just going to take time. I see the talent. I see the flashes. He’s got some stuff that other guys don’t have.

“He’s still in training-camp mode, still getting his conditioning better. And it’s improved twentyfold. Keep that going, and it will pay dividends. But I like his process right now. He wants to have a great game for us, and it will happen. I’m convinced because I see the talent. He’s been very voluntary and very willing . . . He’s going to really help us. I believe that.”
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#215 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:39 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Versus Gortat? Allen probably gets the nod. Here is his chance to make a claim on that spot

Nothing would make me happier. I really hope I’m wrong.
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#216 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

bruh they're not starting Acy. Who spaces the bigs bench? It's either Okafor or Allen tonight vs Gortat. I don't even think they risk Mozgov in this role.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#217 » by SpeedyG » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

bruh they're not starting Acy. Who spaces the bigs bench? It's either Okafor or Allen tonight vs Gortat. I don't even think they risk Mozgov in this role.

You just had to freakin do it, didn't you....

We all blame you if MOzgov starts....
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#218 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

steady wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:YES THIS!

Yes Enes Kanter type role is what I see too. And regarding Atkinson approach with him

“I know everybody wants him to score 30 points and he wants to do it, but I thought he made the right plays,” Atkinson said. “He’s understanding what we’re doing, and it’s just going to take time. I see the talent. I see the flashes. He’s got some stuff that other guys don’t have.

“He’s still in training-camp mode, still getting his conditioning better. And it’s improved twentyfold. Keep that going, and it will pay dividends. But I like his process right now. He wants to have a great game for us, and it will happen. I’m convinced because I see the talent. He’s been very voluntary and very willing . . . He’s going to really help us. I believe that.”

I think this is really huge for him. You can tell in Philly they really kind of just casted him aside. I really can't recall a top 3 pick kind of getting brushed aside so quickly like what happened to Okafor in Philly. I think he felt like he wasn't wanted there and that just made for a horrible situation all around.

I think hearing stuff like this from his coach has to be a huge confidence boost for him and probably makes him feel like he has a place in the NBA. Confidence is huge for these guys. It's great seeing that Okafor wasn't just expecting to get starting minutes wherever, it appears he just wanted to be on a team that believed in him and it appears he's found that and has bought in 100% wasn't Atkins is saying. Really hope he does the smart thing and returns with you guys next year.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#219 » by SpeedyG » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Confidence is a big thing for this coaching staff. They really hammer it hard on these guys. Joe Harris, Dinwiddie, and RHJ have been big beneficiaries of that.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#220 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:22 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

“Bruh” :noway:
Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets