ImageImageImageImageImage

From the HSS Training Center Official news & notes Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Re: From the HSS Training Center Official news & notes Thread 

Post#61 » by LKIRNets » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm

In the two months away from the court, Russell revealed he’s spent a lot of time improving the mental and physical sides of his game. Atkinson told reporters that the guard has bulked up during his time off and Russell insisted it was all about making sure he was on schedule with his recovery.

“Every day [I worked towards it],” Russell said. “The hours you put in – there’s a reason why you come back stronger than you were. [With] the amount of time, it’s inevitable.”

Mentally, Russell explained that sitting on the sidelines allowed him to learn how to better communicate with his teammates. He pointed to the fact that he used to try to do everything physically on the court, hoping to lead by example. Without being able to do that for several weeks, he gained experience in giving pointers verbally, something he feels will help when he returns. He also says that he gained more perspective about Atkinson by seeing him close to where he operates.

“He’s always in a happy-go-lucky mood. He’s a competitor – he wants to get after it every chance he gets,” Russell said. “He’s not afraid to reward guys for doing their jobs.”

With Russell back in the fold for the final 37 games of the season, he wants the team to build on the progress made this season so far.

“We’ve got a lot of guys that are capable of making things happen. It could be anybody’s night [on] any night,” he said. “Just buying in and trusting your teammates. I think with that experience of going through adversity and competing with some of the top teams in the league, we’ll get better at that.”

(source)
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#62 » by Paradise » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm

The D2 Backcourt.

Sky is the limit,” exulted Russell.

“How about Spencer man? He’s been amazing,” Russell told Brooklynnets.com. “For him to go through the adversity that he’s been throughout his career and come in here, step up and be one of our main guys, I salute him too.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there with him. Getting my sweat back and having a guy like him, of his caliber, right next to you. I think the sky is the limit.”

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#63 » by LKIRNets » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I never worked so hard in my life, honestly,” Russell admitted. “On the track, every arena I had a different schedule, every road game, waking up early and running outside, whatever it may be; it was just a tough process, something that was new to me. So getting through that was definitely a look in the mirror for me.

I’ve definitely just been building up to getting to where I am. If that’s 1-on-1s, if that’s individual, movement, running on the treadmill, whatever it is … I trusted those guys from the start. The day after I had my surgery I was two feet in, just open ears to whatever they had to say … I just tried to do what they told me to do, and have a positive energy.”

Atkinson will have to figure out how to use Russell and Dinwiddie in the backcourt together, although it’s not a conversation he’s had yet.

Too soon, honestly,” Russell said. “And that’s a job you leave to the coaches. I’ve got to go out there and play with whoever is next to me and make the best out of it. It’s not my job to make those calls.”

It’s a call Atkinson can put off, with Russell likely on a minutes restriction to start off. The performance team hasn’t let him know what that will be, but Atkinson has said he’ll ease the 21-year-old back in gradually and Carroll cautioned him against letting outside pressure try to force him to do too much too soon.

(source)
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#64 » by LKIRNets » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:47 am

Read on Twitter

Russell Gaining Confidence

Russell is still battling through the rust after being sidelined for 32 games with injury as he’s averaging 3.7 points and 2.3 assists in 14 minutes off the bench. Still, there are signs that he’s getting closer to his best.

The 21-year-old had seven points, four assists and two rebounds in his last outing against the Thunder and interestingly enough, led the Nets in Real Plus-Minus at +12. Russell acknowledged that he’s getting more comfortable on the court.

“Every game is getting better and better,” Russell told BrooklynNets.com “I’m trying to find my groove and figure ways how to still be me out there... It’s definitely a process.”

The NBA acknowledged in the Last Two Minute report of the loss to the Thunder that Paul George should’ve been called for a foul for charging Spencer Dinwiddie. Atkinson addressed the report on Thursday.

“I just let it go [the missed call]. Those guys do a great job, I think it’s a hard game to ref,” Atkinson explained. “I will say this. Look at ourselves in the mirror. What we could have done better to [win]. I know I could have done better.”
:nonono:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#65 » by kamaze » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 am

LKIRNets wrote:
The NBA acknowledged in the Last Two Minute report of the loss to the Thunder that Paul George should’ve been called for a foul for charging Spencer Dinwiddie. Atkinson addressed the report on Thursday.

“I just let it go [the missed call]. Those guys do a great job, I think it’s a hard game to ref,” Atkinson explained. “I will say this. Look at ourselves in the mirror. What we could have done better to [win]. I know I could have done better.”
:nonono:

That's the best way to approach things only worry about what you can control.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,451

Post#66 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

yeah. as much as we complain about the refs, they aren't the reason why Raymond Felton was destroying us for like 4 minutes straight
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#67 » by LKIRNets » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 pm

It’s sort of buried in Kenny Atkinson’s discussion of the way his team has come close oh so many times without coming away with a win. The Nets, he said, have been focusing on two key elements of the rebuild — development and defense — and now is adding late game execution, aka winning.

“I look at ourselves in the mirror, what we could’ve done better. I could’ve done better as a coach. Even that last play for Spencer. Last year, we weren’t focused as much on end-of-game stuff because we weren’t in ends of games,” said Atkinson. “But now this is great for our development, and for my development and our staff’s. How can we improve our execution?

You have to have a physicality. It’s more free, so we have to understand that. … We have to figure out how to execute better. We worked on it [Thursday]. Normally, we don’t. We focus on development and defense. But now we’re in a position with our growth where we have to start focusing on that more. I could’ve been better, and there are a few games like that. It’s making us focus on it and improve at it.

(source)
I was right. It was that LA play. And it was broken then Din went and got the ball.
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#68 » by LKIRNets » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 pm

I don't know where to post this but pay close attention to this kid, his SnR D has drastically improved, he's scoring off C&S, off the dribble, getting to the paint and kicking it out, shooting off screen. Doesn't have much left to learn down there.

LKIRNets
Starter

Post#69 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#70 » by LKIRNets » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Jahlil Okafor doing core exercises in Minnesota pregame drills. This is to help his first step explosion and strengthening your legs. :)

Jahlil Okafor isn’t just saying the right things. He’s doing them, too. He’s making a concerted effort to improve on the defensive end, to develop into a better rebounder, and eliminate his ball-stopping ways.

The Nets see it every day.

“He’s really trying to fit in to what we’re trying to do, and that’s a credit to him,” coach Kenny Atkinson said after Monday’s practice. “Jah’s made strides.”

“I was able to get some touches around the rim,” the 6-foot-11 big man said as the Nets prepared to face the Knicks on Tuesday night at the Garden. “Defensively, I was talking to my teammates. I felt I was in the right spots a lot of the time. I watched film with the coaching staff. They’re really big on me setting screens, getting my teammates open. That’s something I also did a good job of.”

Okafor’s ability to score isn’t what has impressed his new coach. It’s him getting his body into prime condition, it’s his adapting into what the coaches want from him, and it’s Okafor improving on his weaknesses that will lead to more big-minute games like Saturday. In the previous four games, he registered just 34 minutes combined.

“Keep defending and rebounding” is the message Atkinson sends to Okafor. “I think offensively he’s really starting to get what we’re doing. Obviously, the defensive rebounding, that’s going to be the [key]. That really gets you minutes, in my mind. “I thought that was a real weakness of his in Philly. I think we’ve emphasized it. I think the type of defense we’re playing fits [him]. I do think the effort’s there. I think he’s got the body for it. He’s got fantastic hands. He catches everything. He’s got huge mitts, and there’s no reason he shouldn’t be a good rebounder.”

He’s being given a real chance to prove himself, to show he learned from the frustrating start to his NBA career in Philadelphia. So while his stay may not last beyond this year — he’s a free agent-to-be — that’s the furthest thing from his mind.

“I’m not treating it like a tryout, I’m treating it like it’s my home,” he said. “They welcomed me with open arms, and that’s all you can ask as a basketball player. They’re taking the time to develop me. They’re showing me a lot of love and care.”

Like Okafor, Atkinson doesn’t see this as a tryout. He’s a Net, and they’re trying to get the most out of him. He still wants to get to know Okafor better, as a player and a person.

“He’s our player, we love him, and we’re going to push him to get better,” Atkinson said.

(source)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#71 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Sounds like there won't be any issue with him signing for 6 mil. I loved what I saw from him the other night.

LKIRNets
Starter

Post#72 » by LKIRNets » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Read on Twitter
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#73 » by LKIRNets » Sat Feb 3, 2018 5:31 pm

And by the end of the night, he finished with 22 points, five rebounds and three dimes in only 17 minutes, shooting 8-of-15 from the field, 2-of-5 from three, and 4-of-5 on free throws.

Very encouraging,” said head coach Kenny Atkinson on Russell’s performance. “And again, you can still see some rust. You know in the beginning he had a few turnovers, but great he got his rhythm.

Listen, I give him credit. He really pushed to play. I can’t tell you how many times he told us after the game he’s feeling great, at this point he’s feeling great. So he really pushed to play and glad for us that he did play.

“That’s why you do have to have a long-term approach. If you looked at the Knicks game, you’d be like, man he’s struggling, like I said after the game,” said Atkinson of Russell, who played 16 minutes 24 hours after logging 20 against the Knicks.

But he did try some things. At the end of the day, that’s who he is. He’s an aggressive player with the ball. He tried it against the Knicks, didn’t work. Tonight he was obviously much, much better. I think that’s part of that catching your rhythm, you’ve got to have some failures.

“But again, I thought his catching was good,” Atkinson adds. “I thought his defense was good, just overall looks like he’s moving really well. I was debating there do we get him in at the end of the game there, but that unit out there was rolling. I thought about needing him at the end of the game, we’re going to need another ball handler, but lucky we made some plays and finished it out.”

Russell, soft-spoken and mild-mannered, at least when among media members, refrained from saying anything demonstrative in comments after his most efficient scoring show of his third season, electing to stay calm, and take the game-by-game approach.

I give credit to the training staff, they’ve done an amazing job just getting me to this point,” he said, displaying humility to Michael Grady. “Feeling the way I feel; I give them all the credit in the world. I feel great, it’s only going to get better.

“I’m just trying to push my body,” he said. “I’m not really focused on stats or numbers or anything like that, I just want to push my body to see how I feel and take what the defense gives me. Every game that’s been my main focus.”

(source)

Pregame Workouts from 3 weeks ago. Dunk, post, and outside shooting drills.

Demarre comparing him to Tyson Chandler now. Many other positives about the kid. He doesn't even have a sense of what he's doing now. :lol:

Well, at least that’s what we thought until another career night, this one against Brooklyn’s former face of the franchise. Brook Lopez. Allen spoke his mind, made it clear he has big plans.

Face of the franchise,” Allen said about facing off against Lopez. “Now I’m here trying to become the face, too, so just going back and forth.”

Allen has suddenly become a focal point of the offense. He’s starring in the pick-and-roll and continues to show confidence with the ball in his hands. Moreover, he’s getting stronger down low, and he’s shown that he’s quick enough to defend smaller players.

In talking to reporters after the game, Brian Lewis asked Dinwiddie if he read any preseason analysis on Allen’s “lack of passion” for the game. Dinwiddie looked at Lewis with a smile on his face and said, “That’s why I gave him the compliment,”

Perhaps the most important aspect of Allen’s improvement has been confidence. He knows the coaching staff trusts him especially now that he’s starting and finishing games out.

“Coach is starting to trust me more in crunch time, in the important part of the game. Me being in there, you can tell there is trust,” said Allen.

You know, he’s playing great basketball and he gets better with every game and I can’t wait til he spends a summer in the weight room and starts to get stronger,” said Kenny Atkinson. I think some of those rebounds, it’s just a matter of strength and he’s going to get that.”

Atkinson laid out specifically what he likes.

You can already see him maturing, he’s already getting stronger and a summer with our performance team, we’re very excited about him. He’s doing it on both ends too right, it’s not just, obviously the pick-and-roll stuff and the pivots and the dunks and all that is great. It’s a big part of our offense and then his defense is, obviously, rim protecting and his agility. He’s playing well.

“He’s going to be good. He’s not going to be good… he’s already good from what little I’ve seen,” said Lakers head coach Luke Walton.

“Brooklyn does a great job of spreading the floor with shooters and he just runs into screens and he’s a great roller. He gets there quick, Walton continued. “He does it every time and any time you make a mistake, he’s long and athletic, seemed like he has some good footwork down there, and he makes you pay.”

(source)
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#74 » by LKIRNets » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:43 am

Rashad Vaughn is excited for a fresh start in Brooklyn

“Just [see] a group of young guys,” said Vaughn. “You can see the future here and you can look at the organization, what they’re doing with the practice facility. It’s a bright future. They’ve made a lot of trades. “They’ve got Jahlil [Okafor] here. Rondae [Hollis-Jefferson] being here. I’ve known him. We worked out for the draft together. I’m pretty familiar with a lot of guys.”

“I gave him, like 30 when we played him in college. He was trying to guard me. They were switching him and Stan on me,” Vaughn said, recalling a game between his UNLV squad and RHJ’s Arizona. “I think they were about the No. 1 team at that time when we beat them. Then we went through the draft process together.”

Vaughn, 21, was taken with the 17th pick in the 2015 Draft, but his career hasn’t been all too great in two season with Milwaukee where he’s averaged 3.1 points on 31 percent shooting from deep. His career-high game (22 points) came against the Nets.

“Rashad, obviously we’ve got to get to know him better. He’s had a couple of good games against us, I know that. It will take some time to get with our coaches and figure out where he is,” said Kenny Atkinson.

“I think I can come in and help in a lot of different ways,” said Vaughn. “Spreading the floor. Making plays with teammates. I can also get down on the defensive end.”

(source)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#75 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:09 pm

It will be interesting to see his progression. he should get some PT now that Caris will be out for awhile.

LKIRNets
Starter

Post#76 » by LKIRNets » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Can picture Kenny saying he loved his toughness. :lol:
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#77 » by LKIRNets » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter
JiggaMan06
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#78 » by JiggaMan06 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:29 pm

I know how to get him with the first unit, start him lol. Just a test run post all star game let him start and guarantee you'll see a change in his performance
LKIRNets
Starter

Post#79 » by LKIRNets » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:44 pm

JiggaMan06 wrote:I know how to get him with the first unit, start him lol. Just a test run post all star game let him start and guarantee you'll see a change in his performance

I'm a big supporter of Russell, but homie need to earn those minutes. The fact is he's on the 2nd unit, lesser quality defenders in the NBA on 2nd units and hasn't for what ever reason offensively put it together. Can't gift him minutes.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#80 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:47 pm

LKIRNets wrote:
JiggaMan06 wrote:I know how to get him with the first unit, start him lol. Just a test run post all star game let him start and guarantee you'll see a change in his performance

I'm a big supporter of Russell, but homie need to earn those minutes. The fact is he's on the 2nd unit, lesser quality defenders in the NBA on 2nd units and hasn't for what ever reason offensively put it together. Can't gift him minutes.

agreed. It sucks that his lost the starting job to injury, but he's not showing enough to where he looks to be in mid season form. once he starts destroying bench unit players like he should be, he'll start again.

Return to Brooklyn Nets