And1: 2,532

Re: GT: Hornets vs Nets - Wednesday, 03/21/18, 7:30pm EST 

Post#181 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Don't get mad.

This is a teaching moment.

i guarantee that next year, this doesn't happen

I guarantee it does. This is a bad team. With mediocre coaching.

No, you are just caught in the moment.

the best players on this team are under 25.

find me a team in NBA history who were wrapping up teams consistently in games with their core players being 22, 23, 24, 25 years old.

go on.

Then isn't it on Kenny to help put the kids in the right position? This kind of stuff doesn't help players, it only infuritates them cuz they tired of this losing sh*t....

It wasn't like this team was blown out, I saw thru the top of the 3rd, the Nets deservedly so were up and Hornets weren't threatening.. I think i left at 19 or 15 pt lead...

Can't put it on the players only, especially since its not the first time this season. Kenny needs to be criticized for his in game disappointment.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#182 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Act won’t be on the team next year. Don’t worry about him.

That's the only thing that will stop Kenny from playing him.

He didn’t have much of a choice. Jarrett Allen fouled out, Mozgov and Okafor are unplayable. Do you really think Cunningham would’ve made a difference? :crazy:

I understand the outrage. I’m incredibly frustrated with this team too. We just can’t blame Atkinson for these losses. He doesn’t have the personnel.

Allen fouled out? If Moz n Rental were clearly not out there, who was on Dwight? Acy?
The ModFather

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#183 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:49 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I guarantee it does. This is a bad team. With mediocre coaching.

find me a team in NBA history who were wrapping up teams consistently in games with their core players being 22, 23, 24, 25 years old.

go on.

Then isn't it on Kenny to help put the kids in the right position? This kind of stuff doesn't help players, it only infuritates them cuz they tired of this losing sh*t....

It wasn't like this team was blown out, I saw thru the top of the 3rd, the Nets deservedly so were up and Hornets weren't threatening.. I think i left at 19 or 15 pt lead...

Can't put it on the players only, especially since its not the first time this season. Kenny needs to be criticized for his in game disappointment.

alot of ppl roasting him on tweeter, youtube...i'm glad i'm not the only one. if the nets are thinking playoffs, no way we should keep KA past this season cuz we're not making the playoffs atleast the next 3 yrs w/o overhauling the roster and the offense.
LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#184 » by LKIRNets » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
LKIRNets wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I see that pic of the tweet... what Kenny do? his usual? Crabbe was taking out, what was the basis of the lost lead, too many missed 3s, TOs, Hornets simply hot, etc...?

Rotational gaffs.

same crap then... god damn it Kenny...

bruh this is scary. This is almost becoming a Larry Brown thing wit him. :lol:

Yo DLo checked out up 20. He put the 2nd unit in. It was getting SMASHED. Couldn't rebound, couldn't get to loose ball, couldn't hit a 3. He put Acy back in before DLo. :lol: Let Levert/Dinwiddie/Acy run as the lead went down to 10.

I'm sitting here wondering, how long yall gonna wait to put DLo in this game? But even w/ that it was the rotation. The match up of Acy wit Howard. Then Acy us turning down wide open looks. And you're wondering why is he still on the floor? Carroll didn't help missing open shots.

This is a coach that when he had a player put 27 pts. in 6 mins. sat him. This stuff weighs on a team. :lol:

Levert, I love that brodie. But you 1 for 7 in the 2nd half and closing the game over the player wit the better night. :lol:
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#185 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:53 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
That's the only thing that will stop Kenny from playing him.

He didn’t have much of a choice. Jarrett Allen fouled out, Mozgov and Okafor are unplayable. Do you really think Cunningham would’ve made a difference? :crazy:

I understand the outrage. I’m incredibly frustrated with this team too. We just can’t blame Atkinson for these losses. He doesn’t have the personnel.

Allen fouled out? If Moz n Rental were clearly not out there, who was on Dwight? Acy?

Yes it was Acy unfortunately.
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#186 » by FlipFlopShot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:13 am

This can't be Sean Marks pulling some strings months ahead of off-season trading can it?
This was just so odd.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#187 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 am

I'm abroad for work so I followed this thread in the 1Q to see what was going on - things seemed to be going well. Then I got out of a meeting and saw all the cursing from the 4Q!

I think I may want to actually catch a replay on NBA league pass just to see how the hell we collapsed so much.

I think there's probably been around 10-15 games this year where we should've won or could've won.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#188 » by brook » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am

what a ridicolous team.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#189 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:24 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

go on.

alot of ppl roasting him on tweeter, youtube...i'm glad i'm not the only one. if the nets are thinking playoffs, no way we should keep KA past this season cuz we're not making the playoffs atleast the next 3 yrs w/o overhauling the roster and the offense.

I don't think Kenny should be fired now.

It's expected that NBA players ought to show significant improvement within the first 3 years of being in the league. I think that's also a good model for coaches as well, unless it can be proven without a doubt that they absolutely do not belong.

Kenny is still a young, sophomore head coach, who needs to be afforded an olive branch until the expected time of maturation is up.

Last year, I had complaints but I considered those to be growing pains.
This year, your expectations increase a little because he's got an entire season's worth of experience under his belt. The same mistakes he's made in the past, you expect him to be a bit more aware of them. Yeah, he'll probably still miss a good chunk of stuff but he's still young as a coach.
Next year is when a serious evaluation should begin. Just like how teams decide whether to give extensions to rookies in their 3rd year, Kenny needs to prove his worth as an in-game coach and convince others that he deserves to have his contract renewed.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#190 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
don't even bother. losses like tonight should be expected. these guys act like this is some nba powerhouse just **** up games. in reality, this is a team with a young core of players who are going to experience failure more times than success until things start clicking.

some fans who think lazily feel entitled to perfection. it doesn't work like that.

How is giving up a 23 point lead against a team that is 30-41 something that should be expected?

The complaints from fans aren't just kneejerk reactions to a single game.

The realization that Kenny is pretty bad with in-game adjustments and is too rigid with sticking to the pre-game plan have been espoused by some people since Day 1.

I was one of (if not) the first ones to publicly state that just like the players, Kenny needs to be judged like he's developing as well.

The irony is that as a coach Kenny has developed players into much improved versions of themselves, but in spite of his many critiques and quotes of "It's on me...I need to be better" he really hasn't gotten better as an in-game manager.

I have all praise for Kenny as a development guru. It's clear he's top notch.

But as in-game manager, he's made so many in-game decisions (whether it be rotations, clock management, defensive assignments, et al) that I think it's completely rational to question whether he is cut out for that particular aspect of coaching. Unfortunately, in-game management is usually what the head coach is supposed to be most responsible for.

alright cool my guy you want to fire the coach state your plan and where we should go from there.

First of all, nothing should be viewed as a binary. A critique of a player or coach should not be taken as an ultimate condemnation.

If you fail a test, it doesn't mean that you will never become good at the subject matter you are studying; it means that you should look at what you have done wrong, analyze why you erred, and try your best to prepare for similar questions the next time you are able to take an exam.

Many associate head coaches and assistant coaches are responsible for managing offensive/defensive schemes and play sets, player preparation and development, tracking timeouts, shot clock, etc.

But the head coach is responsible for managing what happens in the game.

Just about every head coach was an assistant coach at some point, and someone believed that they are good enough to switch over to managing the game as a head coach. Being an excellent assistant does not mean that one is or will become an excellent head coach. In fact, the overwhelming majority do not succeed in a head coaching role and are either kicked out of the league or return to being an assistant. (Two that immediately come to mind are Mike Brown and Larry Drew.)

Kenny was a great assistant coach known for developing players. But now that he's been asked to be a head coach, he must be responsible for in-game management of the team.

Just like with any student or employee, you expect them to get better at the task they are assigned to complete over a period of time. If they don't show marked growth or improvement in the specific tasks/areas they are responsible for, it needs to be highlighted and addressed.

Kenny is deep into season 2 and has shown glaring flaws/weaknesses that we've seen since Day 1.

If an employee is aware that they've made mistakes (and Kenny has admitted so himself on myriad occasions), you are happy that they realize that something is wrong BUT you expect them to make progress and adapt the next time they are put in these situations.

Just like with players, it often takes a lot of reps before you start to see improvement in a particular area. The problem is that with each passing game, Kenny is in essence getting these reps, but he's not showing the improvement that one would expect from someone who claims to be aware of their flaws and will do everything they can to fix it. And just like with players, if they do not improve, you begin to question whether they are good enough to be handle the job they are assigned to do.

As far as whether I want Kenny to be fired, I just responded to another poster calling for his head. Here is what I said:
I don't think Kenny should be fired now.

It's expected that NBA players ought to show significant improvement within the first 3 years of being in the league. I think that's also a good model for coaches as well, unless it can be proven without a doubt that they absolutely do not belong.

Kenny is still a young, sophomore head coach, who needs to be afforded an olive branch until the expected time of maturation is up.

Last year, I had complaints but I considered those to be growing pains.
This year, your expectations increase a little because he's got an entire season's worth of experience under his belt. The same mistakes he's made in the past, you expect him to be a bit more aware of them. Yeah, he'll probably still miss a good chunk of stuff but he's still young as a coach.
Next year is when a serious evaluation should begin. Just like how teams decide whether to give extensions to rookies in their 3rd year, Kenny needs to prove his worth as an in-game coach and convince others that he deserves to have his contract renewed.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#191 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Fans can criticize the coaches without implying termination.

For me, I never called for his head on a platter, I was/still am critical that he, Coach A, is not receiving enough criticism for his part in this.
The ModFather

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#192 » by Paradise » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Btw AC posted a tweet and deleted it. I think he was unhappy about his minutes during the comeback for Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#193 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:I'm abroad for work so I followed this thread in the 1Q to see what was going on - things seemed to be going well. Then I got out of a meeting and saw all the cursing from the 4Q!

I think I may want to actually catch a replay on NBA league pass just to see how the hell we collapsed so much.

I think there's probably been around 10-15 games this year where we should've won or could've won.

Bruh, I'm looking at this game like, alright, will only need 3 more to push after tonight... :lol: :falloff:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#194 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Right now Kenny is like a bad poker player who understands the game on a very deep and advanced level, but repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over again during actual big hands he's involved in and gets stacked and rebuys, rinse, repeat.

Can he start enacting all the things he knows and understands, or will he get caught up in the moment and keep reverting back to simple defense mechanisms and lose game after game that a basketball mind like his should be adjusting to and winning? That is the question.

I'm with NyCe, Calamity and others who are fairly criticizing Coach K, but don't think he should be fired at this point. He should have next season as well. But if he's the same coach next year, he has to go in the summer of 2019.

There was nothing teaching moment about last night, all he does is start playing mind games with the players and making guys who are loyal and would run through a wall for him, at best question him and at worst resent and despise him. Something has to give.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Post#195 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:47 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I guarantee it does. This is a bad team. With mediocre coaching.

go on.

the players need to actually man up and defend. you're up 20. Kenny's not the one out there playing defense and not executing. should he have put Russell and co back in earlier. yes. this was a total team loss from the coach down to the guys on the floor who didn't bother to execute in the time being given to them.

I think people are being irrational, but I understand. losing sucks, so vent away. call for Kenny's head.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#196 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Right now Kenny is like a bad poker player who understands the game on a very deep and advanced level, but repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over again during actual big hands he's involved in and gets stacked and rebuys, rinse, repeat.

Can he start enacting all the things he knows and understands, or will he get caught up in the moment and keep reverting back to simple defense mechanisms and lose game after game that a basketball mind like his should be adjusting to and winning? That is the question.

I'm with NyCe, Calamity and others who are fairly criticizing Coach K, but don't think he should be fired at this point. He should have next season as well. But if he's the same coach next year, he has to go in the summer of 2019.

There was nothing teaching moment about last night, all he does is start playing mind games with the players and making guys who are loyal and would run through a wall for him at best question him and at worst resent and despise him. Something has to give.

so the narrative is that he lost the team? wow.

you guys are being seriously off the rails right now. i can't.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#197 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Right now Kenny is like a bad poker player who understands the game on a very deep and advanced level, but repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over again during actual big hands he's involved in and gets stacked and rebuys, rinse, repeat.

There was nothing teaching moment about last night, all he does is start playing mind games with the players and making guys who are loyal and would run through a wall for him at best question him and at worst resent and despise him. Something has to give.

You really arrive at some strange destinations sometimes. Or not strange, but you're very much all about definitive's and ultimatums. I am saying he will lose the team eventually, yes. You can candy coat it all you like, but that deleted Crabbe tweet from right after the game is incredibly telling of the direction this thing is heading in. I however did not say, he has already lost the team.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#198 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Fans can criticize the coaches without implying termination.

For me, I never called for his head on a platter, I was/still am critical that he, Coach A, is not receiving enough criticism for his part in this.

I have criticized Kenny as well at times, but I don't believe he should be fired. He's learning at the same time and he's actually getting more out of this roster, which is inexperienced and devoid of veteran talent, than most. He deserves some room.

This team will be a lottery team next year as well. That's not his fault. but there will be people on here throwing a temper tantrum because we aren't a playoff team next year, guaranteed and will want their pound of flesh. i have to seriously roll my eyes at this stuff.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#199 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:58 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You really arrive at some strange destinations sometimes. Or not strange, but you're very much all about definitive's and ultimatums. I am saying he will lose the team eventually, yes. You can candy coat it all you like, but that deleted Crabbe tweet from right after the game is incredibly telling of the direction this thing is heading in. I however did not say, he has already lost the team.

You are implying that he's losing the team, and using a deleted tweet based off of momentary frustration from a player as evidence.

If that's how you want to frame it, fine. I'm not sugar coating anything. I'm just telling you guys that you're losing your heads over things that frankly aren't that shocking when you're dealing with a young team.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#200 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You are implying that he's losing the team, and using a deleted tweet based off of momentary frustration from a player as evidence.

If that's how you want to frame it, fine. I'm not sugar coating anything. I'm just telling you guys that you're losing your heads over things that frankly aren't that shocking when you're dealing with a young team.

I am not implying that he's losing the team, I'm literally saying it. But I do not believe he has lost the team yet, where it's something set in stone, lingering and irreparable which will carry over to next year, but it's on it's way there.

Return to Brooklyn Nets