Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#101 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:

He's a flawed player that needs to improve his weaknesses. The whole team does you're right but it starts with each individual and we're talking about his game not Caris, not Dinwiddie, not Jeremy Lin. Pointing the finger at other players is not taking accountability on his part. Magic was right he's not a leader I think his weak points outweigh his strengths.

You have to honestly want to and then put the work in to get better. Talk is cheap. Joe Harris did, Caris LeVert did, Dinwiddie did. It's part of the team's culture.

When has he pointed the finger at other players???? This is the crap I'm talking about. People just making up stuff. Blaming him for the defense as a whole being bad, making up fake accusations that he points the finger at other teammates, WTF?

You also keep saying that he doesn't want to put in the work...you have no CLUE as to what he does in between games or in practice. By all accounts (and this includes the coach) he was busting his ass and doing everything being asked of him by the Nets training team coming off of his rehab. But yet you keep floating out this conjectured take that he's some lazy ass hole. This is the outlandish and overblown bull **** that I'm talking about.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#102 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm

^Agree. It's one thing to be critical (which I've been plenty of times), it's another thing to make stuff up. Use facts and stats when making arguments.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

What I find foolish is a fan base that blindly props up players to be better than they are based on their words and not their actions.
The only one who can 'prove' the haters wrong is the player himself. But w/e to each his own he could be a totally different player next year if he wants to.

Who is blindly propping him up? I have made as many critiques about Russell that I want to see him improve on before the Nets commit long term money to him as anyone else on here, and I didn't have to rely on falsehoods and conjecture like you have to do so. I also don't have a personal problem with the guy either as you and others do, so if anyone isn't being objective you may want to start looking in the mirror.

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#104 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:When has he pointed the finger at other players???? This is the crap I'm talking about. People just making up stuff. Blaming him for the defense as a whole being bad, making up fake accusations that he points the finger at other teammates, WTF?

You also keep saying that he doesn't want to put in the work...you have no CLUE as to what he does in between games or in practice. By all accounts (and this includes the coach) he was busting his ass and doing everything being asked of him by the Nets training team coming off of his rehab. But yet you keep floating out this conjectured take that he's some lazy ass hole. This is the outlandish and overblown bull **** that I'm talking about.

Sorry I wasn't clear pointing the finger elsewhere is what you're doing I want him to get tired of hearing about it and get better like Crabbe did this season. Maybe he's just not athletic enough to play good defense.

If you read the D'Angelo thread on the general board the majority of people agree that he doesn't train hard and says the right things but doesn't do them so I'm not "making stuff up."

DLO seems like a guy that says the right things, but it doesn't translate on the floor.-getitdone323

He's always said the right things in front of reporters. The problem is he lacked the work ethic to live up to those words. He thinks growth and development just happens naturally. It takes blood, sweat and tears.

His rookie year he said he was trying to come up with a pre-game routine. Kobe, arguably the hardest worker in the league, offered to help him, but he turned it down. That's just an example of what I'm saying. He says the right things, but then he doesn't back it up.

Now he says he wants to be a lead guard. Okay DLo, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to hit up your skills trainer? Reach out to other elite guards for advice? Run drills in the gym for hours and hours everyday? Stop talking and start doing. That's the first sign of maturity.-JellosJigglin

D'Lo talks the talk, but does not walk the walk-DrAki

Levert looks like a better player tbh. Marks has done an admirable job tho for what he had to wrk with.-John Murdoch

Hey Brooklyn Fans, any opinions on DLO?

Or is it the same as Laker fans opinion of DLO. Which are highly talented, slow footed, bad knees, streaky shooter, better off as a shooting guard, ok defense, good with the media, ok team player.-IamScott

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698203
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager

Post#105 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:^Agree. It's one thing to be critical (which I've been plenty of times), it's another thing to make stuff up. Use facts and stats when making arguments.

When he came back from knee surgery Kenny said this
“We’ve talked about it,” Atkinson said. “It’s like anything. We’re going to get there, but there’s a progression to it. Quite honestly, he’s got to perform better. You’ve got to earn it a little bit. It’s a combination. Yes, I think we’ll get there, but he’s got to earn it.”

“That’s something I want to be better at, figuring out what I’ve got to do to be more prepared.”

DeMarre Carroll has offered to help him.

One thing he needs to do better is value the ball. He had six turnovers in Wednesday’s loss at Detroit, an issue DeMarre Carroll mentioned and one Atkinson addressed with Russell.

I think he's the type of personality that the coach has to be hard on as he was to Jeremy Lin.

moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#106 » by moonpie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 pm

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#107 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 am

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:When has he pointed the finger at other players???? This is the crap I'm talking about. People just making up stuff. Blaming him for the defense as a whole being bad, making up fake accusations that he points the finger at other teammates, WTF?

Sorry I wasn't clear pointing the finger elsewhere is what you're doing I want him to get tired of hearing about it and get better like Crabbe did this season. Maybe he's just not athletic enough to play good defense.

If you read the D'Angelo thread on the general board the majority of people agree that he doesn't train hard and says the right things but doesn't do them so I'm not "making stuff up."

DLO seems like a guy that says the right things, but it doesn't translate on the floor.-getitdone323

He's always said the right things in front of reporters. The problem is he lacked the work ethic to live up to those words. He thinks growth and development just happens naturally. It takes blood, sweat and tears.

His rookie year he said he was trying to come up with a pre-game routine. Kobe, arguably the hardest worker in the league, offered to help him, but he turned it down. That's just an example of what I'm saying. He says the right things, but then he doesn't back it up.

Now he says he wants to be a lead guard. Okay DLo, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to hit up your skills trainer? Reach out to other elite guards for advice? Run drills in the gym for hours and hours everyday? Stop talking and start doing. That's the first sign of maturity.-JellosJigglin

D'Lo talks the talk, but does not walk the walk-DrAki

Levert looks like a better player tbh. Marks has done an admirable job tho for what he had to wrk with.-John Murdoch

Hey Brooklyn Fans, any opinions on DLO?

Or is it the same as Laker fans opinion of DLO. Which are highly talented, slow footed, bad knees, streaky shooter, better off as a shooting guard, ok defense, good with the media, ok team player.-IamScott

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698203

None of this proves anything that you've been saying though. One of the people said he's got OK defense, are you going to cosign that or go by what you've watched and the metrics? :lol:

Use facts and statistics. Not conjecture and assumptions based on your personal feelings. You rely on that way too much.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#108 » by kamaze » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:28 am

He can't guard a chair and you want stats to prove it lol.
:noway:
I bet you $50 he'll still be a bad defender next year turnovers and all.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#109 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 am

i'm not sure what betting $50 will prove. Russell will either turn the corner or he won't.

that has nothing to do with the fact that you rely on conjecture in a weak attempt to back up your claims. you talk a ton of **** that isn't backed up by anything that's tangible.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#110 » by SpeedyG » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am

I think the work ethic discussion needs to be kind of broken down. Did people already forget all those Instagram sessions late at night of him training with HSS staff?

What I *think*, and this is all conjecture on my part interpreting Carroll comment about Caris in the off season, I think Russell is a basketball guy.

He'll watch film to study tendencies. He'll work on dribbling and shooting drills to the wee hours of night. He'll play in rucker Park (or wherever that streetball tournament was) but I'm not sure he's the type who "loves" working out, and I don't think it's been drilled to him yet how taking care of your body is a critical thing in pro sports...that basketball talent alone won't get him where he needs to get.

If u think back at the off season comments, a lot of talk was made about Caris working on his body. The additional strength seems like it paid off since he's become a more aggressive attacker and in finishing around the basket.

I think that's what Demarre wants to drill into him this off season.

I don't buy the notion that he doesn't work hard. It almost kind of reminds me of VC who got criticized similarly in Toronto.

But look at Carter now, at age whatever and while the athleticism has gone, you really don't last in the NBA as long as he did and at his age unless you learn to treat your body like the investment it is.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

SpeedyG wrote:I think the work ethic discussion needs to be kind of broken down. Did people already forget all those Instagram sessions late at night of him training with HSS staff?

What I *think*, and this is all conjecture on my part interpreting Carroll comment about Caris in the off season, I think Russell is a basketball guy.

He'll watch film to study tendencies. He'll work on dribbling and shooting drills to the wee hours of night. He'll play in rucker Park (or wherever that streetball tournament was) but I'm not sure he's the type who "loves" working out, and I don't think it's been drilled to him yet how taking care of your body is a critical thing in pro sports...that basketball talent alone won't get him where he needs to get.

If u think back at the off season comments, a lot of talk was made about Caris working on his body. The additional strength seems like it paid off since he's become a more aggressive attacker and in finishing around the basket.

I don't buy the notion that he doesn't work hard. It almost kind of reminds me of VC who got criticized similarly in Toronto.

But look at Carter now, at age whatever and while the athleticism has gone, you really don't last in the NBA as long as he did and at his age unless you learn to treat your body like the investment it is.

I go back to what was said about him by the coach when he was rehabbing after surgery and what was presented was a picture of a guy who was working hard and with the staff daily to get back up to speed. That's why I have no idea where this "Russell is lazy" stuff is coming from.

Does he need to spend the summer with Carroll, LeVert and the Nets training staff? Yes. I actually hope all of the young guys and Lin will spend the summer here putting in work.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#112 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I can’t believe this is a thing to discuss.

I can pull up videos of his workouts with the Lakers in April/May where he talks about off-season work. Another session was uploaded a week before the trade.

Then, we know he was in the gym after the trade. So, how does going from one off-season regime with an entirely different coaching staff in Los Angeles in a week to Brooklyn’s culture and a 33 game sample size season due to an injury automatically mean he has questionable work ethic?

Returning from knee surgery without sitting out like Kawhi could be argued as good work ethic because it is a lot more tedious work.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#113 » by steady » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

For me, it really doesn't matter what he did in past, OR whether this year he does it on his own, or with other people's help. As long as he puts in the work this summer

By the end of the off season, he is going to have to be better at some of the fundamental areas he is weak - getting to basket to score, getting to free throw line, 3 pt shot, defense, decision making.

I'm just glad that everyone seems to be on board on how important this summer is for Russell, and is trying to get him all the help possible.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#114 » by kamaze » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 pm

SpeedyG wrote:I think the work ethic discussion needs to be kind of broken down. Did people already forget all those Instagram sessions late at night of him training with HSS staff?

A few clips of him at the gym doesn't impress me Showing he's improved on the court does.

Rhondae and Caris learned a lot last year with Rhondae playing in Africa and Caris going on the world tour with Lin. Both work hard on their game that's why they get cut some slack during the year.

He just has to come in this summer and buy in, hit the weights, do what the performance team tells him to do, live in this gym like Caris did last year.”

Me, being his big brother, being a leader, I just challenge him to come in and hit it hard every day,” said Carroll.

That quote from his big brother suggests DLO needs to buy in, hit the weights, and listen to the coaches. I've given up on him being the hard working good personality that the team needs he is who he is.

I'd let him play out this year before giving him an extension honestly.

TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#115 » by TheRealKaboom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I agree with this. he needs to get stronger physically to make up for his athletic shortcomings and he needs to become more consistent.

My question is, for vc4p, how is his attitude **** ed?

He could have gone off the rails when he got benched that last time but he didn't. In fact each time he got benched he kept engaged in the game and was rooting for his teammates. post game, he didn't say anything out of pocket.

The on court criticisms are valid. this stuff about his attitude being messed up or him having a poor work ethic is pretty much conjecture imo. Unless you can point out specific instances?

I think his swagger and chill demeanor on the court rubs people the wrong way. I do feel like he needs to learn to play HARD. It's a skill. Fighting for boards that you have a 5% chance of getting, diving on the floor, going for chase down blocks, not giving up on plays. It's work.

We do a decent job of keeping any issues in house. The only thing I could think of that got me worried was when Russell called the team out for their effort vs. a bad team and compared it to a game where we played well against the Warriors. RHJ's twitter is mostly nonsense but he responded immediately and basically said PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

RHJ is a hot head and I'm sure it was nothing. Most likely an isolated incident. But he wouldn't respond like that if Carroll called him out.

These issues are pretty common for young players though.

Rondae is a leader on this team. He's kind of weird too, but not in a bad way. I don't mind him saying that. also, these guys need to check each other.

that being said. if i don't see Russell locked in working out with DMC after these statements....i will have concerns. Here we have a solid vet extending his hand towards this kid. he needs to do it. if he doesn't, i will question him. big time.

this is make or break time. because if i'm Sean Marks, and I see what is going down, and if Russell chooses otherwise...i'm not offering big money.

the ball is in his court.

Kobe extended the same kind of offer to DAR during his rookie year. D'Angelo turned him down. If he's smart he'll have learned from that mistake and won't make it again.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
I think his swagger and chill demeanor on the court rubs people the wrong way. I do feel like he needs to learn to play HARD. It's a skill. Fighting for boards that you have a 5% chance of getting, diving on the floor, going for chase down blocks, not giving up on plays. It's work.

We do a decent job of keeping any issues in house. The only thing I could think of that got me worried was when Russell called the team out for their effort vs. a bad team and compared it to a game where we played well against the Warriors. RHJ's twitter is mostly nonsense but he responded immediately and basically said PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

RHJ is a hot head and I'm sure it was nothing. Most likely an isolated incident. But he wouldn't respond like that if Carroll called him out.

These issues are pretty common for young players though.

Rondae is a leader on this team. He's kind of weird too, but not in a bad way. I don't mind him saying that. also, these guys need to check each other.

that being said. if i don't see Russell locked in working out with DMC after these statements....i will have concerns. Here we have a solid vet extending his hand towards this kid. he needs to do it. if he doesn't, i will question him. big time.

this is make or break time. because if i'm Sean Marks, and I see what is going down, and if Russell chooses otherwise...i'm not offering big money.

the ball is in his court.

Kobe extended the same kind of offer to DAR during his rookie year. D'Angelo turned him down. If he's smart he'll have learned from that mistake and won't make it again.

Interesting. if this is true and Kobe offered that to him, he should have taken it. I can wager for a fact that if Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was offered a chance to train with Kobe he would have done it without hesitation.

still, that was a different time, and a different place. i have said since day 1 that Russell gets a clean slate here. and he got it. Now I know what he needs to work on. He should be smart enough at this point to accept Carroll's invite to train. no hesitation.

If he turns Carroll down now, or has already, will speak volumes. and i don't think that he should be here if he turns it down.

Make or break time here.

I'd be disappointed and surprised if he doesn't train with Carroll and the others this summer.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#117 » by MGrand15 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 pm

To be fair to DLo, Kobe was a complete joke that last year. I don't think he had ANY intention of mentoring the young guys or being a leader.

Russell is hard to read though. He gives cookie cutter, media trained answers for everything. Don't blame any athlete for doing that but his words just don't mean much. Although I've seen RHJ joke that he's like that with the coaching staff too
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#118 » by lamscott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm

MGrand15 wrote:To be fair to DLo, Kobe was a complete joke that last year. I don't think he had ANY intention of mentoring the young guys or being a leader.

Russell is hard to read though. He gives cookie cutter, media trained answers for everything. Don't blame any athlete for doing that but his words just don't mean much. Although I've seen RHJ joke that he's like that with the coaching staff too

Can't keep blaming Kobe man.

You guys need to chillax. You guys sound like Laker fans when DLO is with us. A lot of us found that we were all at peace with DLO when we lowered our expectations of him and his future. Like if he was a second round pick. I'm serious. If he becomes an all-star awesome.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#119 » by MGrand15 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 pm

lamscott wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:To be fair to DLo, Kobe was a complete joke that last year. I don't think he had ANY intention of mentoring the young guys or being a leader.

You guys need to chillax. You guys sound like Laker fans when DLO is with us. A lot of us found that we were all at peace with DLO when we lowered our expectations of him and his future. Like if he was a second round pick. I'm serious. If he becomes an all-star awesome.

Idk what thread you're following but you must have this confused with the Lakers thread or something.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#120 » by lamscott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
lamscott wrote:

Idk what thread you're following but you must have this confused with the Lakers thread or something.

You're making no sense. :crazy:

Return to Brooklyn Nets