ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#1441 » by JoseRizal » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:39 am

Not sure why this is even comparable. Siakam is a glorified roleplayer at best, you make him your first option and watch how opposing teams scout him well enough to dismantle his strengths and expose his weaknesses.

If there’s another element in Russell’s game that makes him all more valuable, is it’s his passing ability and playmaking skills. He can create for his teammates well enough to punish teams doubling him up and let’s not forget the clutch gene that’s been displayed countless times. Not sure I would give the ball to Siakam on the dying seconds of the game...
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#1442 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:44 pm

Agreed. This obsession with Siakim is absurd.

He's a great role player on one of the most talented teams in the NBA. If you take him out of that system and put him on the Suns hes a nobody.

Rusell changed the culture here. He was the leader that took us from a 28 win team to a playoff contender. Hes an all star and he has super star potential. And hes only 23 years old.

Siakim will never be at that level. He can't take over a game or lead a team to the playoffs. He plays with two other all stars and a cast of amazing supporting players. Hes a cog in the system. And Raptors fans just wanna over hype him cause theyre Raptors fans.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1443 » by gigantes » Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Upvotes to you both, and thank you. I'm frankly not knowledgeable enough to put forth an opinion, but this kind of well-constructed debate is what makes this board shine IMO.

Seriously, thank everyone in this sub for making this place levels better than any other Nets discussion place I've ever visited. That also includes NI's ugly hangout on Dave D'Allessandro's old newspaper. Crazy how the years have gone, really...

Hahaha whatever happened to Dave D?

I have to admit...dude called Mikhail Prokhorov "basketball dumb" and that prediction came true. Fortunately, ownership has learned its lesson and has relied on good basketball minds to right the ship.

Yeah, I think all of us were thrown by Prokhy allegedly being a canny, lavishly-spending, hands-on owner of CSKA Moscow. Easy overreaction to a Bruce Ratner, no doubt.

Still annoys me a little how after all this time, bball fans in general and Nets fans in particular still kneejerk to that whole mess being Billy King's fault. In reality, never in a million years would King or any other GM on a reasonable leash have made those series of trades. In reality, if Prokhy had issued that huge directive to acquire stars at any cost, almost any GM in the league would have followed through similarly to King.

Not that I particularly like King. The Peter Principle suggests to me he was a good assistant GM, and that was about it. Even his best years as an official GM, with the Sixers, he was still something of an assistant to Larry Brown. But I digress.

As for Davey-D, seems like he kind of made his name as an excellent sports journalist, then took his talents to muckracking journalism, rightly so. Unfortunately with ever-diminishing output. I think he might have been battling a serious health issue, tho...

Sucks, because he was a superb, insightful & unique writer IMO.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#1444 » by NetsJets » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:33 pm

Championship by 2015!!!
gigantes
Starter

Post#1445 » by gigantes » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:43 pm

NetsJets wrote:Championship by 2015!!!

We won, right?
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#1446 » by NetsJets » Sun Apr 7, 2019 11:59 pm

gigantes wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Championship by 2015!!!

We won, right?

You missed the banner in the ceiling?
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#1447 » by jbeachboy » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:06 am

whats most you would offer d angelo russell? i would go around what nets offered otto porter which is 27 million a season.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1448 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:19 am

Composed effort tonight. Started off 2/9. I was leery that he would start chucking in order to find his shot. Not only did he not start chucking, but he played a balanced game and went 5/6 in the 2nd half.
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#1449 » by bud29 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:23 am

jbeachboy wrote:whats most you would offer d angelo russell? i would go around what nets offered otto porter which is 27 million a season.

He's getting the max, which would be 27.5/year.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1450 » by moonpie » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:30 am

Read on Twitter
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1451 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:32 am

jbeachboy wrote:whats most you would offer d angelo russell? i would go around what nets offered otto porter which is 27 million a season.

I thought the Nets were foolish to offer Porter that contract. I'm so glad the Wizards matched. We wouldn't have been in the the position that we are in today to have the potential to add at least 1 superstar to this roster, if we had signed him to that contract.

I can see DLo's agent using that as a bar for us when negotiating DLo's contract but I hope to god that we won't actually have to pay him that. While I'm thrilled with what he's done this season, this is the first real season where most people can definitively say "Yeah, he's good and on the way up." Personally, I don't like making long-term investments based on short-term production. I'm hoping that DLo and Caris (since they actually have relationships with stars) can recruit some big names; if they are successful, I'm sure DLo would take less (especially considering his young age) to make space for a bonafide superstar.

I'm comfortable with $20-22mil/yr. Unless Marks believes he's destined for a working man's Harden-level potential, I don't think I want to pay $27mil/yr.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#1452 » by jbeachboy » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:06 am

if the max is 27.5 million, some team will offer d lo that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,841

Post#1453 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 8, 2019 10:47 am

NyCeEvO wrote:

I thought the Nets were foolish to offer Porter that contract. I'm so glad the Wizards matched. We wouldn't have been in the the position that we are in today to have the potential to add at least 1 superstar to this roster, if we had signed him to that contract.

I can see DLo's agent using that as a bar for us when negotiating DLo's contract but I hope to god that we won't actually have to pay him that. While I'm thrilled with what he's done this season, this is the first real season where most people can definitively say "Yeah, he's good and on the way up." Personally, I don't like making long-term investments based on short-term production. I'm hoping that DLo and Caris (since they actually have relationships with stars) can recruit some big names; if they are successful, I'm sure DLo would take less (especially considering his young age) to make space for a bonafide superstar.

I'm comfortable with $20-22mil/yr. Unless Marks believes he's destined for a working man's Harden-level potential, I don't think I want to pay $27mil/yr.

Russell is going nowhere.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1454 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:47 pm

jbeachboy wrote:if the max is 27.5 million, some team will offer d lo that.

If the Suns are in a position to draft Ja Morant, what other team is going to give him that amount of money?

But as others have stated, I think this is a moot point. DLo loves playing in Brooklyn and the Nets were the team that believed in him. I feel like there is a 99% chance a deal will be agreed to before free agency begins, so we won’t be worrying about other teams forcing our hand.

Come July 1st, we’ll get the details on the new contract and discuss whether it was a great deal, just right, or too much.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1455 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:28 pm

full max.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1456 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:30 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

If the Suns are in a position to draft Ja Morant, what other team is going to give him that amount of money?

But as others have stated, I think this is a moot point. DLo loves playing in Brooklyn and the Nets were the team that believed in him. I feel like there is a 99% chance a deal will be agreed to before free agency begins, so we won’t be worrying about other teams forcing our hand.

Come July 1st, we’ll get the details on the new contract and discuss whether it was a great deal, just right, or too much.

if it gets to the point where other teams are making offers then he is already gone. Marks/Russell will have an agreement before FA or he is gone. we need agree with him, then use our space. if he is singing offer sheets it completely Fs up our offseason
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1457 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:41 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

I think the reason they haven't signed him yet is bc they want to see what happens in free agency. So he'll be a part of that this summer. They'll work it out with him. Playoffs baby! Go Nets!
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,841

Post#1458 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the plan is already in motion:

1) Nets and Russell's camp agree to a 5 year contract in principle.

2) Russell shuts down all outside offers

3) Nets make moves to clear cap, etc.

4) Nets make free agency signings

5) Nets go over the cap to resign D'Angelo Russell, completing what should be a spectacular offseason.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter

Post#1459 » by gigantes » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:34 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:I thought the Nets were foolish to offer Porter that contract. I'm so glad the Wizards matched. We wouldn't have been in the the position that we are in today to have the potential to add at least 1 superstar to this roster, if we had signed him to that contract...

But... I thought that same money effectively got spent when Crabbe came on board.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1460 » by moonpie » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets