Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#501 » by kamaze » Sat Sep 8, 2018 10:42 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:
shakendfries wrote:Dlo said something jokingly that we all know he could be clowned for, I don’t see why it’s a big deal for Nets fans to call it out - especially when Dlo has a lot to prove to us fans, his teammates, and himself this season

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I don’t know how that is clown worthy, though? If that quote came from Caris, Jarrett Allen we wouldn’t be trying to find a reason to dislike a statement that is an opinion. Joke or not.

This simply reeks of a fan base that bitched and moaned about Deron Williams and his lack of confidence, desire, attitude, etc but now we have a 22 year old that said something confident (joking or not), has displayed desire and a good attitude. So, why is that every single thing he says needs to be met with caution? It’s not normal.

-Dinwiddie criticized by Net fans for thinking we’re going to be the best team in NY and defending the Nets franchise.

- DLo criticized for joking about being the best player in the East.

- Nets fans criticized for talking about free agents joining Brooklyn.

It’s a sense of misery in this fan base that people fail to mention. The most miserable off-season award goes to Net fans despite one of the most well praised summers by NBA journalists.

The “shhh don’t say anything so we don’t get laughed at” stuff is quite embarrassing now.

Nobody is sitting here taking snapshots of every quote D’Lo, Spence or anyone on this team says, waiting to make fun of them for not meeting expectations.

Going up to Giannis and saying it, jokingly or not, is enough for Giannis to say to someone else, ‘ay bruh, you heard Dlo said he the best player in the East?’

And ain’t nobody saying “shut your mouth for being confident!” Trust me, we all want Dlo to be the best player in the East, but let’s show something on the court first. Let Dlo prove he’s the best guard on the team, prove our team has the best backcourt in our division, make the playoffs, and then go to the media and say he’s the best in the East. It’s ok for Dlo to feel like he’s Kyrie before Bron, but Kyrie was also cooking Kobe at team USA practice, putting all the other stars on notice that he’s got game.

We don’t wanna end up like the Wizards - easily the lamest team in the NBA. Talking all kinds of trash all season, calling themselves contenders, and taking all kinds of Ls when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

This.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#502 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 9, 2018 3:27 pm

So it's okay if Spencer talks **** about a team that beat the crap out of us in every game we played against them last season, but its really bad for D'Angelo Russell to make a harmless joke on a TV show where they wanted him to troll other players and people.

Are yall serious?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#503 » by Paradise » Sun Sep 9, 2018 3:41 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:
shakendfries wrote:Dlo said something jokingly that we all know he could be clowned for, I don’t see why it’s a big deal for Nets fans to call it out - especially when Dlo has a lot to prove to us fans, his teammates, and himself this season

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I don’t know how that is clown worthy, though? If that quote came from Caris, Jarrett Allen we wouldn’t be trying to find a reason to dislike a statement that is an opinion. Joke or not.

This simply reeks of a fan base that bitched and moaned about Deron Williams and his lack of confidence, desire, attitude, etc but now we have a 22 year old that said something confident (joking or not), has displayed desire and a good attitude. So, why is that every single thing he says needs to be met with caution? It’s not normal.

-Dinwiddie criticized by Net fans for thinking we’re going to be the best team in NY and defending the Nets franchise.

It’s a sense of misery in this fan base that people fail to mention. The most miserable off-season award goes to Net fans despite one of the most well praised summers by NBA journalists.

The “shhh don’t say anything so we don’t get laughed at” stuff is quite embarrassing now.

Nobody is sitting here taking snapshots of every quote D’Lo, Spence or anyone on this team says, waiting to make fun of them for not meeting expectations.

Going up to Giannis and saying it, jokingly or not, is enough for Giannis to say to someone else, ‘ay bruh, you heard Dlo said he the best player in the East?’

And ain’t nobody saying “shut your mouth for being confident!” Trust me, we all want Dlo to be the best player in the East, but let’s show something on the court first. Let Dlo prove he’s the best guard on the team, prove our team has the best backcourt in our division, make the playoffs, and then go to the media and say he’s the best in the East. It’s ok for Dlo to feel like he’s Kyrie before Bron, but Kyrie was also cooking Kobe at team USA practice, putting all the other stars on notice that he’s got game.

We don’t wanna end up like the Wizards - easily the lamest team in the NBA. Talking all kinds of trash all season, calling themselves contenders, and taking all kinds of Ls when it matters.

You’re still missing the point and it’s still mind boggling we are dissecting an off-season promotional video and claiming Giannis is going to sit and remember this in December. I’m sure he’s more focused on the season and being a 2K cover athlete.

Then, Dlo cannot joke or say anything confidently for motivational reasons until we make the playoffs which wouldn’t be in another 6 months? He didn’t proclaim anything about before the start of a regular season game, preseason game. Nor media day, training camp. Mind boggling.

This still stems from a sense of what OTHERS think and it’s based off an assumption. “dude, giannis is going to tell everyone DLo said that!” and “we’re going to be the **** talking wizards who don’t do nothing” are absolutely two extremes. Based off ONE quote of confidence between our two best players should NEVER have this kind of vitriol. Period. It wasn’t out of line, it wasn’t an embarrassing statement. Every NBA starter is supposed to have that confidence.

Everyone here cried and moaned about draft picks, lack of talent but clearly couldn’t handle a day with Lonzo Ball on the roster by this kind of push back with D’Lo and Dinwiddie saying something 1/10th as the Ball family and damn sure couldn’t be patient enough to let Markell’s Fultz develop his lack of confidence.

I’d rather that than him saying he’s the worst in the league. You all care too much about what others think. That’s the problem.

You’d be surprised to find out, nobody cares. Even if DLo got traded, we’d be a laughstock for dealing Or gambling away upside. Will anyone care about these comments then? No. We trade Dinwiddie, we’d be a laughingstock for gambling away our own reclamation project for a bust in Bender. Will anyone care about Enes Kanter twitter beef by then? No.

The L’s when it matters thing is irrelevant when we haven’t attempted to fully chase a playoff spot in the Sean Marks era.

You cannot possibly have some “put up or shut up” to someone who rarely speaks out at all and hasn’t even begun training camp. That’s the silliest expectation I’ve ever seen for someone who hasn’t warranted that kind of energy. He isn’t doing media tours making arrogant statements. He hasn’t hyped his contract, he hasn’t asked to get 30 shots a game or not come off the bench (Melo). These are all dramatic insecurities I’m reading.

It’s also strange people would rather focus on this more than the fact Dinwiddie is 25, due for an extension and needs to also show consistency.

It’s strange nobody mentions Caris turned 24 recently and he needs to have a huge season before he gets defined as a high end role guy and not anything else special. He’s due for an extension in a couple seasons.

Will we see the same micro-management of comments and if LeVert calls himself a great player or jokingly says he wants to lock up Hardaway or Burke (former teammates) throughout every single day of the off-season, will this board shun him for it? No.

This board was quiet when Jeremy Lin said last summer: “I don’t care what anybody thinks. We’re making the playoffs.” I don’t recall any blowback of this magnitude.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#504 » by shakendfries » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:23 pm

Paradise wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:I don’t know how that is clown worthy, though? If that quote came from Caris, Jarrett Allen we wouldn’t be trying to find a reason to dislike a statement that is an opinion. Joke or not.

You’re still missing the point and it’s still mind boggling we are dissecting an off-season promotional video and claiming Giannis is going to sit and remember this in December. I’m sure he’s more focused on the season and being a 2K cover athlete.

Then, Dlo cannot joke or say anything confidently for motivational reasons until we make the playoffs which wouldn’t be in another 6 months? He didn’t proclaim anything about before the start of a regular season game, preseason game. Nor media day, training camp. Mind boggling.

This still stems from a sense of what OTHERS think and it’s based off an assumption. “dude, giannis is going to tell everyone DLo said that!” and “we’re going to be the **** talking wizards who don’t do nothing” are absolutely two extremes. Based off ONE quote of confidence between our two best players should NEVER have this kind of vitriol. Period. It wasn’t out of line, it wasn’t an embarrassing statement. Every NBA starter is supposed to have that confidence.

Everyone here cried and moaned about draft picks, lack of talent but clearly couldn’t handle a day with Lonzo Ball on the roster by this kind of push back with D’Lo and Dinwiddie saying something 1/10th as the Ball family and damn sure couldn’t be patient enough to let Markell’s Fultz develop his lack of confidence.

I’d rather that than him saying he’s the worst in the league. You all care too much about what others think. That’s the problem.

You’d be surprised to find out, nobody cares. Even if DLo got traded, we’d be a laughstock for dealing Or gambling away upside. Will anyone care about these comments then? No. We trade Dinwiddie, we’d be a laughingstock for gambling away our own reclamation project for a bust in Bender. Will anyone care about Enes Kanter twitter beef by then? No.

The L’s when it matters thing is irrelevant when we haven’t attempted to fully chase a playoff spot in the Sean Marks era.

You cannot possibly have some “put up or shut up” to someone who rarely speaks out at all and hasn’t even begun training camp. That’s the silliest expectation I’ve ever seen for someone who hasn’t warranted that kind of energy. He isn’t doing media tours making arrogant statements. He hasn’t hyped his contract, he hasn’t asked to get 30 shots a game or not come off the bench (Melo). These are all dramatic insecurities I’m reading.

It’s also strange people would rather focus on this more than the fact Dinwiddie is 25, due for an extension and needs to also show consistency.

It’s strange nobody mentions Caris turned 24 recently and he needs to have a huge season before he gets defined as a high end role guy and not anything else special. He’s due for an extension in a couple seasons.

Will we see the same micro-management of comments and if LeVert calls himself a great player or jokingly says he wants to lock up Hardaway or Burke (former teammates) throughout every single day of the off-season, will this board shun him for it? No.

This board was quiet when Jeremy Lin said last summer: “I don’t care what anybody thinks. We’re making the playoffs.” I don’t recall any blowback of this magnitude.

I wrote 3 sentences and a gif explaining why Dlos comments came off as more obnoxious than funny. You’re writing an essay on the topic.

MDB and Paradise are the only ones comparing Dlo’s wisecrack with the reception to Dinwiddie’s trash talk against the Knicks or Lin’s optimism for last season. Case and point, I defended Dinwiddie when he made those comments. This discussion has nothing to do with Lin or Dinwiddie…at all.

Dlos comments are obnoxious because he has a lot to prove - so much so that arguments can be made for LeVert, Dinwiddie, and Crabbe being the best guards on this team.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#505 » by Claud » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:46 pm

I was watching that event live.. it was a 100% in good fun.

Can't believe some of the hot-takes I'm reading... smh.

Russ is even more polarizing than Lin it seems.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#506 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 9, 2018 9:40 pm

He was clowning. It's literally a non issue. He wasn't even remotely serious. Yet, we have people here who have taken it as 100% serious which is crazy. He was saying that to troll Giannis who pretty much everyone knows is the best player in the East. This kid can't even breathe without someone attacking him.

and tbh I already said the Dinwiddie stuff didn't bother me as much as it did initially because he and Kanter were just messing around. I just said that Spencer needs to make sure he brings it come opening night.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#507 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 pm

kamaze wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Paradise wrote:I don’t know how that is clown worthy, though? If that quote came from Caris, Jarrett Allen we wouldn’t be trying to find a reason to dislike a statement that is an opinion. Joke or not.

This.

you are a terrible fan for not supporting our players.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#508 » by kamaze » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

This.

You're annoying kill yourself.

This wasn't necessary.

- Rich

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#509 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:28 pm

kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:
This.

lol. stay classy san diego :lol:

I love how its ok for you to call everyone else a bad fan when they dont blindly support nets players, but when it gets tossed back at you because you hate russell you cant take it

i think ill pass on the killing myself suggestion, but ill say a prayer for you as you seem disturbed
ZUDAMAGIC
Veteran
And1: 1,765

Post#510 » by ZUDAMAGIC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 pm

I cant believe some of you guys hate on the best prospect, only real prospect you've had in years... makes no sense lol
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#511 » by shakendfries » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Devin Booker posted an IG Story of himself riding a bike with no hands on the handle bars.

1 hour later news broke that he will be out indefinitely to have surgery on an injured hand.

Read on Twitter

If Prokorov had his way, Suns fans would blame the bike.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
kamaze
General Manager

Post#512 » by kamaze » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I love how its ok for you to call everyone else a bad fan when they dont blindly support nets players, but when it gets tossed back at you because you hate russell you cant take it

i think ill pass on the killing myself suggestion, but ill say a prayer for you as you seem disturbed

No you arrogant POS you keep saying it and I finally responded to it.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#513 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:31 pm

kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:

No you arrogant POS you keep saying it and I finally responded to it.

im the piece of Sh*t ... yet you are the one cursing and telling people to kill themselves? :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#514 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:42 pm

whoo boy. You know we're in the tail end of the offseason now.

Media day is coming fellas just hang on for a few more days.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#515 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:45 pm

shakendfries wrote:Devin Booker posted an IG Story of himself riding a bike with no hands on the handle bars.

1 hour later news broke that he will be out indefinitely to have surgery on an injured hand.

Read on Twitter

If Prokorov had his way, Suns fans would blame the bike.

If Russell did something as stupid as this he'd rightfully get blasted for being irresponsible.

Russell has done nothing in remotely comparable to this, yet people on here treat him like straight up garbage.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,755

Post#516 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 am

Everybody calm now? Good.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#517 » by MGrand15 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Russell's trainer posted a video of him doing some cardio and he looked significantly bigger. By all accounts he's been putting in work this off season and it shows.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#518 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm

here is something interesting:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/dangelo-russell/

FiveThirtyEight’s CARMELO* identifies similar players throughout NBA history and uses them to develop a probabilistic forecast of what a current NBA player’s future might look like.

538 is projecting that Russell is going to uptick this season. This is pretty cool to check out because they project market value and comparable players. You can plug in any of our players to see what their projections are.

They categorize players ranging MVP Candidate-All Star-Potential All star- Up and comer- rotation player- Offensive specialist etc.

Russell and Allen are categorized as up and comers

RHJ and Caris are listed as rotation players.

Spencer is listed as an Average starter

Harris/Crabbe are listed as offensive specialists

However, to show you how far we are in the toilet talent wise, plug in the names Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell.

We need to desperately move up in the draft. Desperately.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#519 » by Prokorov » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:here is something interesting:

FiveThirtyEight’s CARMELO* identifies similar players throughout NBA history and uses them to develop a probabilistic forecast of what a current NBA player’s future might look like.

538 is projecting that Russell is going to uptick this season. This is pretty cool to check out because they project market value and comparable players. You can plug in any of our players to see what their projections are.

They categorize players ranging MVP Candidate-All Star-Potential All star- Up and comer- rotation player- Offensive specialist etc.

However, to show you how far we are in the toilet talent wise, plug in the names Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell.

i dont think we will need to move up. i think we will have a top 5 pick organically due to lack of talent. with lebron gone more teams will be gunning to win and the east got a bit better on the bottom end.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#520 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:here is something interesting:

i dont think we will need to move up. i think we will have a top 5 pick organically due to lack of talent. with lebron gone more teams will be gunning to win and the east got a bit better on the bottom end.

I hope you're right. Because we need a franchise centerpiece badly.

Return to Brooklyn Nets