ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#81 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:12 am

From the general board:

Russell is #99 out of 103 point guards in DPRM, dude needs to work on not being a turnstile before becoming the leader of the Nets.


viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698203
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,134
And1: 2,157
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#82 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 am

kamaze wrote:There's a thread on the General Board about him viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698203

lamscott wrote:Hey Brooklyn Fans, any opinions on DLO?

Or is it the same as Laker fans opinion of DLO. Which are highly talented, slow footed, bad knees, streaky shooter, better off as a shooting guard, ok defense, good with the media, ok team player.


I wanted to respond itt, but I'm GB banned lol.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,134
And1: 2,157
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#83 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am

steady wrote:In response to Prok's comment - I think in this thread --, that PG defense no longer matters in this League.

https://www.theringer.com/nba-playoffs/2018/4/16/17242188/10-thoughts-2018-nba-playoff-weekend

Nice commentary on importance of Kyle Lowry and Jrue Holiday's stellar defense last weekend. Short version: "Don’t let anyone tell you that point guard defense doesn’t matter."

I personally don't believe point guard defense is exceptionally important, as in you don't need a great or even good defender there on most teams, but you can't have a guy like D-Lo, who currently couldn't guard Yi Jianlian sitting in a chair under an umbrella at the hash marks with a tall glass of Arnold Palmer.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 33,812
And1: 8,227
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#84 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 am

DLo exit interview:

”We’re going to get better together as our time plays out. You can’t evaluate our relationship or progress off this one season,” Russell added. “Hopefully I’m here for many years to come and we can develop together. He’s been amazing since day one with me as far as letting me run the team, letting me quarterback things. I turn the ball over and he lives and dies with it.”

“I want to be that point guard or better yet, lead guard when I have the ball in my hands. I want to develop that trust with the coaches and the players around met that I’m going to make the right play when the ball is in my hands, especially at the end of games. I want to show that I can finish it out.”


We lost a handful of games we lost by single digits – I want to be that guy that makes the big pass or hits the big shot that helps us win those games.”

There were a lot of good things this season, a lot of guys got better and elevated their games. Everybody was coach-able this season, nobody got down or tried to isolate themselves from the team just because we were losing games. I think the pros outweigh the cons.”

“The time off the court being hurt, having the opportunity to communicate with guys and learn guys and watch from the sideline. It put me in a better perspective for when I got back on the floor. How to control things, how to voice my opinion as well,” he said at Thursday’s exit interview.

It is [special]. This group – we’re young, but we’re going to get better. I’m excited to be a part of it.”




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#85 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 am

Yadda yadda yadda "don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk phony types get outlined in chalk. I'm mad vexed.."

Paradise wrote:DLo exit interview:

”We’re going to get better together as our time plays out. You can’t evaluate our relationship or progress off this one season,” Russell added. “Hopefully I’m here for many years to come and we can develop together. He’s been amazing since day one with me as far as letting me run the team, letting me quarterback things. I turn the ball over and he lives and dies with it.”

“I want to be that point guard or better yet, lead guard when I have the ball in my hands. I want to develop that trust with the coaches and the players around met that I’m going to make the right play when the ball is in my hands, especially at the end of games. I want to show that I can finish it out.”


We lost a handful of games we lost by single digits – I want to be that guy that makes the big pass or hits the big shot that helps us win those games.”

There were a lot of good things this season, a lot of guys got better and elevated their games. Everybody was coach-able this season, nobody got down or tried to isolate themselves from the team just because we were losing games. I think the pros outweigh the cons.”

“The time off the court being hurt, having the opportunity to communicate with guys and learn guys and watch from the sideline. It put me in a better perspective for when I got back on the floor. How to control things, how to voice my opinion as well,” he said at Thursday’s exit interview.

It is [special]. This group – we’re young, but we’re going to get better. I’m excited to be a part of it.”




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


Yadda yadda yadda "don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk phony types get outlined in chalk. I'm mad vexed.." watching bad play makes me, screaming at the TV cousins looking at me crazy.
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#86 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
kamaze wrote:There's a thread on the General Board about him viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698203

lamscott wrote:Hey Brooklyn Fans, any opinions on DLO?

Or is it the same as Laker fans opinion of DLO. Which are highly talented, slow footed, bad knees, streaky shooter, better off as a shooting guard, ok defense, good with the media, ok team player.


I wanted to respond itt, but I'm GB banned lol.


You cursed too much right? :lol:
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
DeRoma
Veteran
Posts: 2,513
And1: 436
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
 

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#87 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 am

Paradise wrote:DLo exit interview:

”We’re going to get better together as our time plays out. You can’t evaluate our relationship or progress off this one season,” Russell added. “Hopefully I’m here for many years to come and we can develop together. He’s been amazing since day one with me as far as letting me run the team, letting me quarterback things. I turn the ball over and he lives and dies with it.”

“I want to be that point guard or better yet, lead guard when I have the ball in my hands. I want to develop that trust with the coaches and the players around met that I’m going to make the right play when the ball is in my hands, especially at the end of games. I want to show that I can finish it out.”


We lost a handful of games we lost by single digits – I want to be that guy that makes the big pass or hits the big shot that helps us win those games.”

There were a lot of good things this season, a lot of guys got better and elevated their games. Everybody was coach-able this season, nobody got down or tried to isolate themselves from the team just because we were losing games. I think the pros outweigh the cons.”

“The time off the court being hurt, having the opportunity to communicate with guys and learn guys and watch from the sideline. It put me in a better perspective for when I got back on the floor. How to control things, how to voice my opinion as well,” he said at Thursday’s exit interview.

It is [special]. This group – we’re young, but we’re going to get better. I’m excited to be a part of it.”




Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Honestly he doesn’t sound too positive that he will stay here.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,134
And1: 2,157
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#88 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Russell says all the right things, but he has always done that since at least his 2nd season. It would be nice to see it translate. You're defined by your actions, not the things you say, especially when you often do the opposite of your talk.
Image
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,166
And1: 11,698
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#89 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 33,812
And1: 8,227
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#90 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 pm

We’re not even supposed to have him in hindsight. Kuzma is the only thing that saved the trade. We went from nearly accepting Tim Frazier + fillers or Al Jefferson + fillers. I think the kid has every right to say that and prove it without being attacked. This isn’t Deron Williams.

DLo needs to improve his lower body more than anything. Guys like Mitchell and Booker are ALOT more physically built than Russell. That impacts a lot of things.

The knock on him was buying into the system. He disproved that and helped us with 8+ more wins. We were 5-7 before he went down.

Why the need to throw shade? Tell me who else is coming here? You don’t think inconsistent play wouldn’t have occurred with Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz if we had our pick?
DeRoma
Veteran
Posts: 2,513
And1: 436
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
 

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#91 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


I mean how is it overblown when he was the only one that really improved the least out anyone while he was the main player that was getting the most opportunity with us.

I get that he only stayed with us for a year but he is getting paid next season. If he continues his tiny improvements while about to be paid by only being young and has potential. What can really happen with us having no cap space because our main guy simply is not good enough. That’s the risk we are having with him which is what concerns me.

Your acting like that small sample size is what defines him while his recent games aren’t there to criticize the guy. I think you gotta objectively weight on the pros and cons and think a lot more clearly on what he is.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,166
And1: 11,698
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:43 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


I mean how is it overblown when he was the only one that really improved the least out anyone while he was the main player that was getting the most opportunity with us.

I get that he only stayed with us for a year but he is getting paid next season. If he continues his tiny improvements while about to be paid by only being young and has potential. What can really happen with us having no cap space because our main guy simply is not good enough. That’s the risk we are having with him which is what concerns me.

Your acting like that small sample size is what defines him while his recent games aren’t there to criticize the guy. I think you gotta objectively weight on the pros and cons and think a lot more clearly on what he is.


He missed ten weeks out of the season following surgery, you really want to ignore that part of it too?

Are you accusing me of not being objective when it comes to Russell? Because if so, that's an outright lie.

I have highlighted both the pros and cons of his play and pointed out what he needs to do ad nauseum on here. I have expressed reservations about the Nets paying him a lot of money without seeing some improvement in him 1) physically, 2) decision making wise, 3) shooting efficiency wise. I even have suggested maybe the Nets offer him a smaller contract like the Warriors did with Steph earlier in his career and see if he can play himself into a bigger one before committing max dollars. I'm not some blind defender of this kid at all. I even agreed with Prok who advocates trading him due to the uncertainty. If the Nets front office did so because they aren't sure, and want to get something in return for him in that regard, I don't have a problem with that. The timing here is bad for all parties involved.

What's overblown is people constantly attacking the guy for every single thing and trashing him over an exit interview where he didn't say anything bad and spoke about how he loved being here, loved the coach and the team etc. It's beyond aggravating to see a Nets player being treated like this when he hasn't done anything to remotely deserve it. We have people literally acting like he's Deron Williams, acting like he's the reason why we lose games, or comparing him to straight up garbage human beings like JR Smith. FFS, as a fan of this team I just like to see all players, especially the ones that have brought in and want to be here, just get a fair chance to prove himself before being thrown to the wolves.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
steady
Veteran
Posts: 2,638
And1: 1,351
Joined: Jul 13, 2015
 

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#93 » by steady » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 pm

He is a super talented, young player, who is still figuring out who he is. I get the frustration with him, and the criticisms, but I also truly believe in his talent, his desire to contribute here, and his good character.

To me, he doesn't come across as solid as he could in interviews, but we knew coming in that he was awkward with press and could sometimes put his foot in his mouth ..

He doesn't seem to get some things as quickly as others on the team - Din, LeVert, RHJ, even Jarrett. But to me that doesn't matter, as long as he can buckle down this summer and really work on his game and make significant progress.

I suspend all judgment for now. After this offseason, is when we will see better what he can be.

But
he needs to feel desperate this summer.

He will not have unlimited opportunities .. and Nets -- even Nets -- will not have unlimited patience
.
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#94 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


He's a flawed player that needs to improve his weaknesses. The whole team does you're right but it starts with each individual and we're talking about his game not Caris, not Dinwiddie, not Jeremy Lin. Pointing the finger at other players is not taking accountability on his part. Magic was right he's not a leader I think his weak points outweigh his strengths.

You have to honestly want to and then put the work in to get better. Talk is cheap. Joe Harris did, Caris LeVert did, Dinwiddie did. It's part of the team's culture.
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 33,812
And1: 8,227
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#95 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


He's a flawed player that needs to improve his weaknesses. The whole team does you're right but it starts with each individual and we're talking about his game not Caris, not Dinwiddie, not Jeremy Lin. Pointing the finger at other players is not taking accountability on his part. Magic was right he's not a leader I think his weak points outweigh his strengths.

You have to honestly want to and then put the work in to get better. Talk is cheap. Joe Harris did, Caris LeVert did, Dinwiddie did. It's part of the team's culture.

.....So, it’s his fault he got traded here in late June while everyone else on the team had already started their offseason regime since April?

Please tell me when has a 22 year old ever been the leader of a team he just got traded to?
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#96 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


He's a flawed player that needs to improve his weaknesses. The whole team does you're right but it starts with each individual and we're talking about his game not Caris, not Dinwiddie, not Jeremy Lin. Pointing the finger at other players is not taking accountability on his part. Magic was right he's not a leader I think his weak points outweigh his strengths.

You have to honestly want to and then put the work in to get better. Talk is cheap. Joe Harris did, Caris LeVert did, Dinwiddie did. It's part of the team's culture.






Sean Marks: "I don't think we can argue what Kenny and the staff have done with developing talent."


Kenny Atkinson notes players (like D'Angelo, Crabbe, others) who haven't yet gone through full off-season as a Net yet.
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
DeRoma
Veteran
Posts: 2,513
And1: 436
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
 

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#97 » by DeRoma » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


I mean how is it overblown when he was the only one that really improved the least out anyone while he was the main player that was getting the most opportunity with us.

I get that he only stayed with us for a year but he is getting paid next season. If he continues his tiny improvements while about to be paid by only being young and has potential. What can really happen with us having no cap space because our main guy simply is not good enough. That’s the risk we are having with him which is what concerns me.

Your acting like that small sample size is what defines him while his recent games aren’t there to criticize the guy. I think you gotta objectively weight on the pros and cons and think a lot more clearly on what he is.


He missed ten weeks out of the season following surgery, you really want to ignore that part of it too?

Are you accusing me of not being objective when it comes to Russell? Because if so, that's an outright lie.

I have highlighted both the pros and cons of his play and pointed out what he needs to do ad nauseum on here. I have expressed reservations about the Nets paying him a lot of money without seeing some improvement in him 1) physically, 2) decision making wise, 3) shooting efficiency wise. I even have suggested maybe the Nets offer him a smaller contract like the Warriors did with Steph earlier in his career and see if he can play himself into a bigger one before committing max dollars. I'm not some blind defender of this kid at all. I even agreed with Prok who advocates trading him due to the uncertainty. If the Nets front office did so because they aren't sure, and want to get something in return for him in that regard, I don't have a problem with that. The timing here is bad for all parties involved.

What's overblown is people constantly attacking the guy for every single thing and trashing him over an exit interview where he didn't say anything bad and spoke about how he loved being here, loved the coach and the team etc. It's beyond aggravating to see a Nets player being treated like this when he hasn't done anything to remotely deserve it. We have people literally acting like he's Deron Williams, acting like he's the reason why we lose games, or comparing him to straight up garbage human beings like JR Smith. FFS, as a fan of this team I just like to see all players, especially the ones that have brought in and want to be here, just get a fair chance to prove himself before being thrown to the wolves.

I get what you are saying and generally I agree. I just don’t think you need to get your emotions involve with the certain situation with him. To me I don’t think he is a bad player. However, evaluating him and watching pretty much 95% of his game. I just don’t think it’s worth for the investment especially on time. He has potential but his potential is limited and he can be good but not good enough on what he is trying to be. The work will be too much in a realistic timeline with him and the money we throw at him. So I just believe the best case right now is to trade him while we still don’t get caught up. That’s really where I’m at with him.

He can still workout I just don’t think we can ever win with him running the show but that’s really rare so my expectation are really high. So maybe I can be wrong on what I’m saying.
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#98 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Paradise wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Re: his actions.

He made a concerted effort to buy in and run the offense, and his 3 point shooting improved post All star break. He's had lapses on D, but he's also had more than a few games where he was active and engaged on that end of the floor. He was getting killed in PnRs, but so was Dinwiddie and LeVert and I don't see anyone ragging on their defense. Turnovers and defensive lapses aside, it's not as if he's not trying to make things work or do what is asked of him. He just needs to be consistent and cut down on the preventable turnovers.

I think it's becoming overblown, it really is. All of it. You dudes act like he was the worst player on the team this season or was the sole reason as to why the Nets weren't winning games. Does he need to get better? hell yes. lots of work to put in this offseason. but jesus...he can't even give an exit interview without getting trashed. :crazy:


He's a flawed player that needs to improve his weaknesses. The whole team does you're right but it starts with each individual and we're talking about his game not Caris, not Dinwiddie, not Jeremy Lin. Pointing the finger at other players is not taking accountability on his part. Magic was right he's not a leader I think his weak points outweigh his strengths.

You have to honestly want to and then put the work in to get better. Talk is cheap. Joe Harris did, Caris LeVert did, Dinwiddie did. It's part of the team's culture.

.....So, it’s his fault he got traded here in late June while everyone else on the team had already started their offseason regime since April?

Please tell me when has a 22 year old ever been the leader of a team he just got traded to?


So you don't want to critique his game either I see.

James Harden 23, Michael Besley was traded his 2nd year others too point but he doesn't compare to Harden he's more like
the production of a Beasley.
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 6,696
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#99 » by kamaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We have people literally acting like he's Deron Williams, acting like he's the reason why we lose games, or comparing him to straight up garbage human beings like JR Smith. FFS, as a fan of this team I just like to see all players, especially the ones that have brought in and want to be here, just get a fair chance to prove himself before being thrown to the wolves.


What I find foolish is a fan base that blindly props up players to be better than they are based on their words and not their actions.
The only one who can 'prove' the haters wrong is the player himself. But w/e to each his own he could be a totally different player next year if he wants to.
Who's going to sacrifice for their teammates here? Defense? Unselfishness?
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,166
And1: 11,698
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Official D'Angelo Russell Thread II 

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
I mean how is it overblown when he was the only one that really improved the least out anyone while he was the main player that was getting the most opportunity with us.

I get that he only stayed with us for a year but he is getting paid next season. If he continues his tiny improvements while about to be paid by only being young and has potential. What can really happen with us having no cap space because our main guy simply is not good enough. That’s the risk we are having with him which is what concerns me.

Your acting like that small sample size is what defines him while his recent games aren’t there to criticize the guy. I think you gotta objectively weight on the pros and cons and think a lot more clearly on what he is.


He missed ten weeks out of the season following surgery, you really want to ignore that part of it too?

Are you accusing me of not being objective when it comes to Russell? Because if so, that's an outright lie.

I have highlighted both the pros and cons of his play and pointed out what he needs to do ad nauseum on here. I have expressed reservations about the Nets paying him a lot of money without seeing some improvement in him 1) physically, 2) decision making wise, 3) shooting efficiency wise. I even have suggested maybe the Nets offer him a smaller contract like the Warriors did with Steph earlier in his career and see if he can play himself into a bigger one before committing max dollars. I'm not some blind defender of this kid at all. I even agreed with Prok who advocates trading him due to the uncertainty. If the Nets front office did so because they aren't sure, and want to get something in return for him in that regard, I don't have a problem with that. The timing here is bad for all parties involved.

What's overblown is people constantly attacking the guy for every single thing and trashing him over an exit interview where he didn't say anything bad and spoke about how he loved being here, loved the coach and the team etc. It's beyond aggravating to see a Nets player being treated like this when he hasn't done anything to remotely deserve it. We have people literally acting like he's Deron Williams, acting like he's the reason why we lose games, or comparing him to straight up garbage human beings like JR Smith. FFS, as a fan of this team I just like to see all players, especially the ones that have brought in and want to be here, just get a fair chance to prove himself before being thrown to the wolves.

I get what you are saying and generally I agree. I just don’t think you need to get your emotions involve with the certain situation with him. To me I don’t think he is a bad player. However, evaluating him and watching pretty much 95% of his game. I just don’t think it’s worth for the investment especially on time. He has potential but his potential is limited and he can be good but not good enough on what he is trying to be. The work will be too much in a realistic timeline with him and the money we throw at him. So I just believe the best case right now is to trade him while we still don’t get caught up. That’s really where I’m at with him.

He can still workout I just don’t think we can ever win with him running the show but that’s really rare so my expectation are really high. So maybe I can be wrong on what I’m saying.


I think that's a fair stance to take. I think if he applies himself he can be a damn good player...but it might take til age 24, even 25 for him to really hit that stride like how other guys who were drafted high and bloomed a bit later. The timing right now isn't in our favor. The Nets cannot justify offering him a large extension and then capping the team out with there being uncertainty. And I also think that while I think he can improve, I don't know whether it will be to the level that would justify a large extension in one summer's time. we'll see what happens
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like

Return to Brooklyn Nets