GT: Nets @ Boston - Wednesday, 04/11/18, 8:00pm Season Finale

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: GT: Nets @ Boston - Wednesday, 04/11/18, 8:00pm Season Finale 

Post#161 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
I see Prok saying how horrible our defenders are, but good and great coaches get mediocre defenders to come together and be really solid team defenders and to defend statistically and by the eye very well and way above their heads for seasons at a clip on defense as well.

has he not done that?

I mean you could argue that crabbe was the worst defender in the NBA last season by the numbers. he was in skil/shaqtin a fool type territory. this year by the numbers he was a slight positive and at worst a sligtly below avg defender. huge increase. same with harris, bad defender who looked mediocure. Acy looked outstanding defensively this season. I'll give you levert was a let down defensively but carroll reverted back to what we expected from his atlanta days.

It really was just our gaurds and having no shot blocker when allen isnt on the floor (which was a big part of the year) and when allen is on the floor he is still green and a ragdoll.

but dinwiddie/russell/levert really struggle to defend especially around screens and we just lack the personal to defend the rim.

im not sure what he could do, other then change their philosophy on how to defend the pick and roll (trap instead of trail... rotate instead of daring the pick and roll gaurd to take a mid range jumpshot). and while id prefer that 1) i dont think they are going to scrap it this early and 2) i dont think it would really change much since we still dont have talented defenders and 3) its tough to play at our pace offensively and trap/rotate on defense and not have guys be exhausted

we do it how the rockets do it, how the spurs do it. we just dont have the horses yet
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Post#162 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I had a ton of fun watching this team going thru the ups and downs, every victory brought a sense of euphoria, and it was especially fun chatting and arguing like lunatics on here with you guys. hopefully next season brings more fun and a sense of pride in watching this team take another step upwards.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#163 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
I see Prok saying how horrible our defenders are, but good and great coaches get mediocre defenders to come together and be really solid team defenders and to defend statistically and by the eye very well and way above their heads for seasons at a clip on defense as well.

has he not done that?

I mean you could argue that crabbe was the worst defender in the NBA last season by the numbers. he was in skil/shaqtin a fool type territory. this year by the numbers he was a slight positive and at worst a sligtly below avg defender. huge increase. same with harris, bad defender who looked mediocure. Acy looked outstanding defensively this season. I'll give you levert was a let down defensively but carroll reverted back to what we expected from his atlanta days.

It really was just our gaurds and having no shot blocker when allen isnt on the floor (which was a big part of the year) and when allen is on the floor he is still green and a ragdoll.

but dinwiddie/russell/levert really struggle to defend especially around screens and we just lack the personal to defend the rim.

im not sure what he could do, other then change their philosophy on how to defend the pick and roll (trap instead of trail... rotate instead of daring the pick and roll gaurd to take a mid range jumpshot). and while id prefer that 1) i dont think they are going to scrap it this early and 2) i dont think it would really change much since we still dont have talented defenders and 3) its tough to play at our pace offensively and trap/rotate on defense and not have guys be exhausted

we do it how the rockets do it, how the spurs do it. we just dont have the horses yet

I think that we need to change our defensive philosophy. if it requires some sacrifice on offense so be it.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#164 » by SpeedyG » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

has he not done that?

I think that we need to change our defensive philosophy. if it requires some sacrifice on offense so be it.

Yeah Kenny's going to have to evaluate this really and determine, but I personally am not a fan of it.

It leaves the guards hanging out to dry far too often, while the big often just sits back not really affecting the play.

Go under and its a wide open three. Trail and they get a wide-open 2. Against bad teams like the Bulls, that's fine. But there are far too many good PGs in this game that will eat up that space and kill us.

Why are we not switching more often? What is the point of having 6'5 guards, 6'7-6'8 SF/PF if we're not going to use that length and interchangeability to put more pressure on the ball handler?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#165 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

has he not done that?

Yeah Kenny's going to have to evaluate this really and determine, but I personally am not a fan of it.

It leaves the guards hanging out to dry far too often, while the big often just sits back not really affecting the play.

Go under and its a wide open three. Trail and they get a wide-open 2. Against bad teams like the Bulls, that's fine. But there are far too many good PGs in this game that will eat up that space and kill us.

Why are we not switching more often? What is the point of having 6'5 guards, 6'7-6'8 SF/PF if we're not going to use that length and interchangeability to put more pressure on the ball handler?

Agreed. Especially with how mobile Allen is we should be switching

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#166 » by kamaze » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 pm

At the beginning of the year D"Angelo was a horrible defender and at the end of the year he still plays piss poor defense.-F

Everyone else is that gets minutes is no lower than a D (Sauce and Okafur get a F too but they're not in the rotation and both should be gone this summer.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#167 » by bws94 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:23 am

Lin made some comments on defense, an area he feels needs some addressing. I think this is Newsday. Some quotes:

“Defensively, we have to get nastier. We have to want it more.”

“We need players on the court who will be leaders, who will drive the defense forward,”

“In the fourth quarter, stuff will dry up. You really have to work for your buckets, and you really have to work for your stops. So, us being able to go from gear five to gear six, that’s a gear we need to find.”
Yit
Junior
And1: 31

Post#168 » by Yit » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Tracking performance of players vs Celtics 11 Apr 2018

Crabbe - 28 (=)
Stauskas - 26 (+)
Allen - 25 (=)
Mozgov - 24 (+)
CLV - 18 (-)
Cunningham - 18 (=)
Acy -17 (=)
Stauskas - 13 (=)
DAR - 11 (-)
Web - 4 (-)
RHJ - 2 (--)

I still need to catch up with the rest of NBA teams (only have computed figures up till Dec 2017) - but I am hopeful that I might be able to have some data to compare if our player's salaries make sense in comparison to the GCP they bring to the team.
Stability is a myth perpetuated by the agents called homeostasis and status quo....
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#169 » by kamaze » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 pm

bws94 wrote:Lin made some comments on defense, an area he feels needs some addressing. I think this is Newsday. Some quotes:

“We need players on the court who will be leaders, who will drive the defense forward,”

“In the fourth quarter, stuff will dry up. You really have to work for your buckets, and you really have to work for your stops. So, us being able to go from gear five to gear six, that’s a gear we need to find.”

Do you have a link to the article?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#170 » by bws94 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:45 am

kamaze wrote:
bws94 wrote:Lin made some comments on defense, an area he feels needs some addressing. I think this is Newsday. Some quotes:

Do you have a link to the article?

There's a link on the Lin thread.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#171 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:23 am

We need to start switching on everything, or deploying calculated traps against the ball handler versus the pick and roll. what we're doing right now is why we're a bad defensive team. Too much pressure is being put on the guards. It's a tall order to ask Russell, Dinwiddie, and LeVert to plow through 1-5 PnR screens.

LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#172 » by LKIRNets » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm proud of this young team, we made strides this year wit new individuals. Now we have to fix this roster. The future is wit D'Angelo Russell, Caris Levert and Jarrett Allen. Nothing has changed here. Nor will it.

Return to Brooklyn Nets