Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,844

Re: GT: Nets @ Boston - Wednesday, 04/11/18, 8:00pm Season Finale 

Post#141 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:09 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I just think that's another thing we as fans tend to do, automatically connect youth directly to potential and/or definitive improvement.

Michael Beasley was once 22. So was Derrick Wiiliams. MKG. OJ Mayo. Enes Kanter. Dion Waiters. Shaun Livingston. Tyrus Thomas.

I will say, more often than not, top 4 picks come around though, so I hold out faith. I just hate his attitude and approach to the game, I really do. Not all the silly ratting Nick Young stuff, not even necessarily some of his jaded young comments, but his style of play, decision making, bbiq and idea of who he currently is in this game. I don't know if it's stuff that can be shaken, at least not without another major wakeup call, such as a guy like Billups who took like 4 teams and being treated like a garbage castoff to finally "get it."

I think you have a fair point. but i think that, within reason, we need to see how this plays out with him. the trade was calculated risk. here comes the risk.

just don't max him out

I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to see him signed to any extension bigger than 3/50 if he shows little improvement next year, forget about max. Would you have wanted a guy like Beasley or OJ Mayo on a 4/80+ contract(assuming today's cap climate for comparison) coming off their rookie deals? He'd be one of the worst contracts in basketball for an additional 3 years and provide well below average if not detrimental on court value.

Your problem is, is that you're basically cutting his growth off at what you see right now.

the fact that he hasn't played his way into a max deal could work out in our favor especially combined with the fact that we have a great developmental staff.

relax a bit.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#142 » by moonpie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 am

Been a real pleasure this season y'all! Now the real work begins
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#143 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 am

nuggets/wolves 1 poesseion game under 2 minutes winner gets the 8 seed
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#144 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 am

Prokorov wrote:nuggets/wolves 1 poesseion game under 2 minutes winner gets the 8 seed

tied at 99!
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#145 » by shakendfries » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 am

this performance was pretty pathetic - not a high note for anyone besides Crabbe
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#146 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 am

I don't think the lesson is to grind harder in the gym. Maybe it was just one of those games to quickly forget.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#147 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:ah, nevermind. the fact that russell, rhj, and levert have all sucked tonight at the same time is a sign. they need to work harder.

get your asses in the gym, no vacation. this game should be a catalyst for them. you're not good enough. none of them are good enough. they need to work hard and improve.

The thing is, this isn't something you improve with more gym time or effort. Mentally, they were checked out. That's a maturity issue, maybe a coaching issue.

it's the last game of the **** ing season. for a majority of the season they did not conduct themselves like this and we have played against better line ups with more discipline and intensity.

to let one game at season's end become an indictment on the entire roster and their future progress is utterly ridiculous. come on now.

The Nets came into this game feeling themselves. they got burned. it happens. it should happen. this is what keeps people grounded.

Dude, you were just the one 4 or 5 pages back saying how they have no right to conduct themselves like this, that they haven't earned that right.

And I think they respect Kenny and try and play hard for him, but he hasn't installed any kind of defensive system and hasn't instilled much mental focus on them. He gets guys to give effort, he opens up new parts to guys games, he gets them to be smarter individual players, but he doesn't teach his own system well at all or how for guys to play together as a team, with smart team basketball, if you ask me.

I see Prok saying how horrible our defenders are, but good and great coaches get mediocre defenders to come together and be really solid team defenders and to defend statistically and by the eye very well and way above their heads for seasons at a clip on defense as well.

And we have some good individual defenders on top of this and very few guys are such piss poor defenders or awful athletes that they can't be part of a good team defense by system.

I'm not personally calling for Kenny's head, but there are MAJOR faults to him as a coach and nights like this really put that on full display. Some guys just shouldn't be head coaches. I'm not saying that Kenny is one of those guys, he's still green as hell, but this year was not a notch on his belt.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#148 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:13 am

Prokorov wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Just horrible loss. It summarizes the season to be honest. I can’t believe how far away this team is. It’s going to be YEARS before we do anything significant.

Really? you cant believe it? you cant believe a team full of late round picks, second rounders, d-league success stories, and a few high picks who were underwhelming elseswhere are really far off?

We havent had a lottery pick in forever. our team is young and inexperienced. we lack talent. its just 2 years removed from billy king and i believe RHj is the only guy who was here 3 years ago.

Why would you think this was ever going to be anything less then a 5 or 6 year rebuild?

I mean i know you spend time on ND and they are the biggest delusional homers ever but you seem like a pretty intelligent fan. hard for even the most optmistic fan to not see this was going to take a long long time to turn around

I knew it was going to be 5-6 years but we’re going into year 4 at this point. Do you think this core is making the playoffs in year 5 or year 6 without someone breaking out? How many players currently on this team can we definitively say will be here in 3 years? Maybe Allen? LeVert? RHJ? Will they be starters? Maybe. Is RHJ really a PF or are we just wasting his time and the teams? Will Kenny Atkinson even be our coach by then? There’s just so many questions and zero answers at this point.

I wanted to doubt the narrative that Billy King sold our future but I guess it really was true. Marks has his hands full and he needs to decide who’s actually a part of this core. I honestly feel bad for him. I wouldn’t have wanted to take this job if I was in the running personally. This is the kind of situation that can ruin a career. But I’m thankful that he took the personal risk for this franchise.

Hopefully the saying “it’s darkest before the dawn” applies to this team.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#149 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Just horrible loss. It summarizes the season to be honest. I can’t believe how far away this team is. It’s going to be YEARS before we do anything significant.

Really? you cant believe it? you cant believe a team full of late round picks, second rounders, d-league success stories, and a few high picks who were underwhelming elseswhere are really far off?

We havent had a lottery pick in forever. our team is young and inexperienced. we lack talent. its just 2 years removed from billy king and i believe RHj is the only guy who was here 3 years ago.

Why would you think this was ever going to be anything less then a 5 or 6 year rebuild?

I mean i know you spend time on ND and they are the biggest delusional homers ever but you seem like a pretty intelligent fan. hard for even the most optmistic fan to not see this was going to take a long long time to turn around

I knew it was going to be 5-6 years but we’re going into year 4 at this point. Do you think this core is making the playoffs in year 5 or year 6 without someone breaking out? How many players currently on this team can we definitively say will be here in 3 years? Maybe Allen? LeVert? RHJ? Will they be starters? Maybe. Is RHJ really a PF or are we just wasting his time and the teams? Will Kenny Atkinson even be our coach by then? There’s just so many questions and zero answers at this point.

I wanted to doubt the narrative that Billy King sold our future but I guess it really was true. Marks has his hands full and he needs to decide who’s actually a part of this core. I honestly feel bad for him. I wouldn’t have wanted to take this job if I was in the running personally. This is the kind of situation that can ruin a career. But I’m thankful that he took the personal risk for this franchise.

we are going into year 3, not year 4. we are only 1/3 into the rebuild

and yes, i think playoffs are realistic by year 5 or 6

we just went +8 wins from last year. thats great progress
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#150 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 am

Good season everyone. This game is somewhat emblematic of this entire season -- frustrating losses that we should've won.

Next season will be defining for many players, especially Dlo, Dinwiddie, Lin. I expect RHJ, Levert, and Allen to continue on their path to solid development.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#151 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
The thing is, this isn't something you improve with more gym time or effort. Mentally, they were checked out. That's a maturity issue, maybe a coaching issue.

it's the last game of the **** ing season. for a majority of the season they did not conduct themselves like this and we have played against better line ups with more discipline and intensity.

to let one game at season's end become an indictment on the entire roster and their future progress is utterly ridiculous. come on now.

The Nets came into this game feeling themselves. they got burned. it happens. it should happen. this is what keeps people grounded.

Dude, you were just the one 4 or 5 pages back saying how they have no right to conduct themselves like this, that they haven't earned that right.

Yes, I said that, and I believe that.

That doesn't mean that i'm giving up on them.

can you say the same, based on your comments?

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#152 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I think you have a fair point. but i think that, within reason, we need to see how this plays out with him. the trade was calculated risk. here comes the risk.

just don't max him out

I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to see him signed to any extension bigger than 3/50 if he shows little improvement next year, forget about max. Would you have wanted a guy like Beasley or OJ Mayo on a 4/80+ contract(assuming today's cap climate for comparison) coming off their rookie deals? He'd be one of the worst contracts in basketball for an additional 3 years and provide well below average if not detrimental on court value.

Your problem is, is that you're basically cutting his growth off at what you see right now.

the fact that he hasn't played his way into a max deal could work out in our favor especially combined with the fact that we have a great developmental staff.

relax a bit.

I'm very relaxed, I'm just not a big Russell fan. I'm not cutting his growth off, but I'm also not automatically spotting him growth simply because he is 22 and was a 2nd overall pick.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#153 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 am

Overall, we made strides this season.

Lots of work ahead. stay positive peeps.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#154 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to see him signed to any extension bigger than 3/50 if he shows little improvement next year, forget about max. Would you have wanted a guy like Beasley or OJ Mayo on a 4/80+ contract(assuming today's cap climate for comparison) coming off their rookie deals? He'd be one of the worst contracts in basketball for an additional 3 years and provide well below average if not detrimental on court value.

relax a bit.

I'm very relaxed, I'm just not a big Russell fan. I'm not cutting his growth off, but I'm also not automatically spotting him growth simply because he is 22 and was a 2nd overall pick.

nor should you. your skepticism is warranted.

but lets see what happens.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#155 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

relax a bit.

nor should you. your skepticism is warranted.

but lets see what happens.

All we can lol. :beer:

As Prok just said, it was somewhat of a successful season. Amongst a myriad of injures and lineup shuffling, they still added 8 wins, still saw a lot of individual growth and built some assets.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#156 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:23 am

Prokorov wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

we are going into year 3, not year 4. we are only 1/3 into the rebuild

and yes, i think playoffs are realistic by year 5 or 6

we just went +8 wins from last year. thats great progress

It is solid progress. But when you’re the worst team in the league there’s nowhere to go but up.

This is our 3rd season giving a lottery pick to another team and our 4th season under .500. I’ll admit that this is Marks’ 2nd season but as a team as a whole it’s been a damn long time.

I hope you’re right I really do. I just don’t know at this point.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#157 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 am

peeps we get our draft pick back next year in the 2019 draft

we have some young pieces who have good upside

we have a 1st rd, and two 2nd rd picks in the 2018 draft

all eyes should be pointed forward.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#158 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 am

Draft night is going to be good this year. Interesting and enjoyable, though it will still burn to see Cleveland get ours. Which will make a top 3 jump, guaranteed.
KlicKlac
Analyst
And1: 331

Post#159 » by KlicKlac » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks everyone for being here for me this season while I've been glued to my desk studying for exams this past year.
On to next year. Levert, Allen, RHJ, Dlo, Crabbe look very exciting.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#160 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:It is solid progress. But when you’re the worst team in the league there’s nowhere to go but up.

This actually isnt true... and you can easily verify that by looking at what happened from the 15-16 season to the 16-17 season. in 15-16 we won 21 games. by your measure there was "no where to go but up" and yet we ended up winning LESS games last year with just 20 wins. so just because you finish last/with a horrible win total doesnt mean you just go up automatically.
This is our 3rd season giving a lottery pick to another team and our 4th season under .500. I’ll admit that this is Marks’ 2nd season but as a team as a whole it’s been a damn long time.

Yeah i cant really count the rebuild using years prior to marks. we were for sure going into 15-16 still trying to win under king/hollins. even made some win now moves prior to throwing in the towel. you cant just equate "being bad/under .500" with rebuilding. there are big differences

I hope you’re right I really do. I just don’t know at this point.

unless your just emotional from last nights let down, which is normal, i cant see how this year wasnt super encouraging. we are WAY ahead of schedule and this year went about as well as anyone could have realistically hoped for. outside of Lin/Russells injuries (and you could even find silver linings with lins with dinwiddie getting more time and levert time at ) we met or exceeded all expectations.

30% more wins then last year (+8)

Dinwiddie, RHJ, Harris, Allen all made huge strides developmentally

Crabbe and Levert had reallly solid seasons and look like natural fits on this team

Russell had a solid second half shooting the ball and showed some signs

Carroll reverted to atlanta form and now has big trade value as an expiring who contributes

we have 3 picks in this upcoming draft

with luck we would have won 32 games this year. in 2 seasons, add some talent and more development and we will be at 35 wins for sure. in 4 seasons we should be ready to be a perrenial playoff team

Return to Brooklyn Nets