Nets Mock Offseason

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Re: Nets Mock Offseason 

Post#101 » by TheNetsFan » Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 am

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:This is what I've started doing in the T&T Mock Offseason. I'm still trying to free up a bit more cap space, before FA opens, either by getting them to let me buy out Moz at a reduced rate or trading Carroll for cheaper player(s) like I did Lin. Given this scenario, where do I go? Gordon, Parker, LaVine, Hezonja, Anderson, etc.?

TheNetsFan wrote:BROOKLYN NETS 5/22 10:45AM EST

Current Roster:
PG: DLo/LeVert/Simons (2nd rounder)
SG: Crabbe/Baker/Whitehead (Non-guaranteed)
SF: Carroll/Edwards (2nd rounder/likely 2-way contract)
PF: Collins/RHJ
C: Allen/Mozgov

Future Draft Additions: 2019-2023 Reverse protected IND 2nd, 2019 NYK 2nd, 2019 top-35 protected PHX 2nd
Future Draft Liabilities (traded away): 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd

Transactions:
Lin to Memphis for Arthur
Dinwiddie+#29+40+45 to Atlanta for John Collins+#34+#50
Drafted Anfernee Simons & Vince Edwards
Traded #50 for #59 & 2019 PHX 2nd (top 35 protected)

Early Bird Rights: Joe Harris; All other FAs renounced.

Cap:
Before trades: $85.8mil in salary
Harris: $1.5mil cap hold

Salaries:
Crabbe: $18.5mil | $18.5mil (PO)
Mozgov: $16mil | $16.72mil
Carroll: $15.4mil
Russell: $7.02mil | RFA
Baker: $4.54mil | RFA
RHJ: $2.47mil | RFA
Collins: $2.3mil | $2.69mil (TO) | $4.14mil (TO) | RFA
Allen: $2.03mil | $2.38mil (TO) | $3.9mil (TO) | RFA
LeVert: $1.7mil | $2.63mil | RFA
Whitehead: $1.54mil (Non-guar) | $1.68mil (Non-guar) | RFA

Dead:
Deron Williams: $5.47mil | $5.47mil

Current Salary (incl Dead): $76.97mil

Current 2018 Cap Space: $22.5mil
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=17796947795b0455a9cabc9810551136

that collins trade was wizardry. id be jacked if we did that IRL
It actually made some sense. Atlanta drafted Bagley & dumped Schroder. I still want to go after Gordon as one of the more feasible targets, but he also seems like overkiil. Of course talent acquisition means talent over need. Capella is a possibility too.

The other option would be to go after two cheaper players like Hezonja, Looney, VanVleet, etc.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#102 » by Vae Victus » Thu May 24, 2018 2:07 am

After thinking it over and looking at the roster and money situation.

Execute a 2 year tank and making sure the cap is clean of bad deals in 2020. With the way the new lotto odds are done, dont have to tank all the way to the bottom, but still, as Prok says, "wins dont matter right now" and losing finally has incentive. I mean no need to do a drastic PHI tank, but... i'd just trade everyone on the roster for value if i can, if theyre running out of cheap years and not resigning to a reasonable deal.

The ideal is to get 2 top picks in 2018/19 and 2019/20, JAR still on rookie deal, drafting a coupla late gems with the picks on hand (as well as whatever is accrued via trades), and keeping RHJ, DLo, and Levert on REASONABLE deals, if they get overpaid via RFA, then buh bye, better yet try to resign them early to under market deals if possible. 2020 is the magical year due to it being when Mozgov and Crabbe come off the books.

I think, i'd just punt on this offseason in trying to sign anyone major, none of the RFAs are worth the gamble at the prices they're gonna demand and any reasonable deals will be easily matched by their current teams. I think at best just focus on resigning the current useable FAs to min deals and Joe Harris for around 7 mil per year with the pure intention to trade. If he requires full MLE or more to stay, dont bother resigning him, cuz him making that much will destroy his positive trade value. Crabbe and him are just too redundant, so no point throwing more money into the sharpshooter role. If possible trade Dimwiddie for a 1st asap, as time went on his trade value took a major hit as his shooting efficiencies degraded, best to trade him now and not risk him turning into a worthless pumpkin. If Marks sees someone he likes to consolidate picks, then go for.

However if Marks REALLY wants cap space, look to
1) buyout Mozgov (pay him 54 of the 64 mil he's owed to go play in Russia and dominate lesser comp)
2) trade DMC + cash + 2nd for pure cap if possible
3) Lin is a lost cause, no way he's dumb enough to get bought out with his injury status, but he's a stretch option (12.6/3=4.2m)

Push hard for 1 and 2. 3 should only be entertained if the Nets can get someone nice with the extra 8.4 mil, post stretch, due to the lack of cap space in the market

Dont have to tank from the start of the upcoming season, if the team can miraculously make the playoffs as is, then great, means the assets on hand can get more back! Play the overpaid vets early and often (DMC, Lin, Mozgov) to try to fluff up their value and see if they got anything left in the tank. If they play well look to trade em at the break for whatever assets they can fetch, if necessary even taking back a 1.5 year remaining deal as long as it expires by 2020, similar to the Bojan for Nicolson + 1st deal. If they suck, oh well, nothing was lost except some time and wins (woohoo more ping pong balls!), bench em and let the kids run free. Obviously look to see what an expiring DMC/Lin can get back on the open market.

The biggest thing that comes next other than hoping like hell the draft picks pan out, is how to deal with DLo and RHJ's RFA situations. I honestly dont think there's much of a market for RHJ and that he can be retained for cheap, so i'd happily let him go into open market and match. I really dont see RHJ getting more than 10mil a year, if that, unless his J turns into liquid sex or he develops a decent 3pt shot. His lack of true PF size and skill of a true SF hurts his value greatly, so the Nets need to be not blinded by the fact the he's a homegrown product. DLo otoh will be very interesting, if he goes supernova then obviously you resign him to big bux. If he turns in another meh season, i'd lowball the ever living **** out of him and hope he can turn it around during that time. If he turns in a middling season... i'd prolly just let it go to RFA and see what other teams think. DLo's bad reputation is gonna grievously wound him in negotiations unless he has a supernova year. Levert we'll see more next year before anyone can judge.

It's not a sexy offseason, but honestly there's no sexy moves to be made short of another DLo + Mozgov for BroLo + #27 type of blockbuster out of nowhere deal. The cap is just too clogged up for a major offer to an RFA. At best, get a bargain signing for around 8-9mil a year (with intent to trade for assets in the future) and resign Harris to like 7-8mil using his bird rights (also with intent to trade).
wonchobody
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#103 » by wonchobody » Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Ron Baker? Am I missing something?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#104 » by Trader_Joe » Thu May 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:This is what I've started doing in the T&T Mock Offseason. I'm still trying to free up a bit more cap space, before FA opens, either by getting them to let me buy out Moz at a reduced rate or trading Carroll for cheaper player(s) like I did Lin. Given this scenario, where do I go? Gordon, Parker, LaVine, Hezonja, Anderson, etc.?

TheNetsFan wrote:BROOKLYN NETS 5/22 10:45AM EST

Current Roster:
PG: DLo/LeVert/Simons (2nd rounder)
SG: Crabbe/Baker/Whitehead (Non-guaranteed)
SF: Carroll/Edwards (2nd rounder/likely 2-way contract)
PF: Collins/RHJ
C: Allen/Mozgov

Future Draft Additions: 2019-2023 Reverse protected IND 2nd, 2019 NYK 2nd, 2019 top-35 protected PHX 2nd
Future Draft Liabilities (traded away): 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd

Transactions:
Lin to Memphis for Arthur
Dinwiddie+#29+40+45 to Atlanta for John Collins+#34+#50
Drafted Anfernee Simons & Vince Edwards
Traded #50 for #59 & 2019 PHX 2nd (top 35 protected)

Early Bird Rights: Joe Harris; All other FAs renounced.

Cap:
Before trades: $85.8mil in salary

Salaries:
Crabbe: $18.5mil | $18.5mil (PO)
Mozgov: $16mil | $16.72mil
Carroll: $15.4mil
Russell: $7.02mil | RFA
Baker: $4.54mil | RFA
RHJ: $2.47mil | RFA
Collins: $2.3mil | $2.69mil (TO) | $4.14mil (TO) | RFA
Allen: $2.03mil | $2.38mil (TO) | $3.9mil (TO) | RFA
LeVert: $1.7mil | $2.63mil | RFA
Whitehead: $1.54mil (Non-guar) | $1.68mil (Non-guar) | RFA

Dead:
Deron Williams: $5.47mil | $5.47mil

Current Salary (incl Dead): $76.97mil

Current 2018 Cap Space: $22.5mil
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=17796947795b0455a9cabc9810551136

The guy GM'ing for Atlanta is a Nets fan as well (TheBrooklynKidd), so it's a bit skewed. They would never do that.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,584

Post#105 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The guy GM'ing for Atlanta is a Nets fan as well (TheBrooklynKidd), so it's a bit skewed. They would never do that.

Yea I may have given him a little hometown discount :lol: but it was honestly the best offer and I needed a PG and wanted to clear roster spots for the bigs in this year’s draft and FA.

Return to Brooklyn Nets