Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Re: Nets Mock Offseason 

Post#61 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I wouldn't be upset with that scenario. Parker scares me with his knee but in this offense, with his efficiency he'd fit perfectly. Our perimeter defense will be pretty terrible.

Noel's attitude problem is a red flag. I don't know if he'd fit here. we want guys that want to commit to improving and playing hard.

RHJ's extension is a no brainer.

i think the biggest takeaway for me from this excersize is that its basically a lock we operate as an over the cap team this season

You had us signing JP with cap space, meaning we don't get the full MLE, rather the much smaller room exception.

Otherwise...
-I think we're overpaying on Noel and Harris. Harris isn't getting more than the MLE, so he should take less from us to stay here. Noel won't have much of a market especially with his suspension for weed and unimpressive stints in both Philly and Dallas.

-I might do the Lin buyout, but not the Mozgov one. His expiring contract could be handy in salary matching in a year as opposed to pure dead money. Roster spots aren't much of an issue with essentially 17 roster spots now available.

-Why are we keeping Whitehead? We're loaded with guards, and if he's just gonna stay in the D.League, what's the point? That's a wasted roster spot.

-I'd try to keep Cunningham over Acy.

-Gotta figure one of our picks is for Diallo.

-I like Parker as a target.. I wonder if we can retain some cap and offer Carroll, Din and a 2nd or two (or something like that) in a sign and trade with the threat of just clearing salary and making a big offer otherwise.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#62 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:^lots of assumptions.

I have to mainly agree with the dude on this one.

Said it when the news came out, I thought it was likely a mistake to hold on Dinwiddie when he could have got that Cavs pick, good chance that pick wound up around 22 or 23 as well if things didn't go as they did.

But I'm holding out hope Marks knows a lot more than has been revealed and that he foresaw better deals at the draft when all the owed picks to and from other teams were sorted out, or he knows/figures he can still get about an even deal at worst and is hedging for the promise of something better.

Barring a trade, DVD is more valuable than a late first round pick. Typically you hope the pick could turn into a contributor like DVD. He's still got a lot of room to grow as well. He's versatile, that makes him unique.

I agree with Marks, he is worth more than a 25th pick.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#63 » by shakendfries » Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I wouldn't be upset with that scenario. Parker scares me with his knee but in this offense, with his efficiency he'd fit perfectly. Our perimeter defense will be pretty terrible.

Noel's attitude problem is a red flag. I don't know if he'd fit here. we want guys that want to commit to improving and playing hard.

i think the biggest takeaway for me from this excersize is that its basically a lock we operate as an over the cap team this season

You had us signing JP with cap space, meaning we don't get the full MLE, rather the much smaller room exception.

Otherwise...
-I think we're overpaying on Noel and Harris. Harris isn't getting more than the MLE, so he should take less from us to stay here. Noel won't have much of a market especially with his suspension for weed and unimpressive stints in both Philly and Dallas.

-I might do the Lin buyout, but not the Mozgov one. His expiring contract could be handy in salary matching in a year as opposed to pure dead money. Roster spots aren't much of an issue with essentially 17 roster spots now available.

-Why are we keeping Whitehead? We're loaded with guards, and if he's just gonna stay in the D.League, what's the point? That's a wasted roster spot.

-I like Parker as a target.. I wonder if we can retain some cap and offer Carroll, Din and a 2nd or two (or something like that) in a sign and trade with the threat of just clearing salary and making a big offer otherwise.

they even list the Nets as the best fit for Diallo

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by Trader_Joe » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 pm

I guess right now my thoughts on the off-season:

Russell isn't going anywhere. We've invested in him and TBH it seems many teams (or at least fans on here) aren't that interested and we wouldn't get good value. He still is only 22 and has untapped potential, I'm just not a big believer.

Dinwiddie - IMO he's our best PG, but a victim of the numbers crunch at PG. If Lin is bought out or traded, I hope we keep him, but...

Lin - seems to be Tsai's favorite player and he's very open about Lin and his appeal to the Asian market which he wants to break into. He's not a controlling owner yet, but I have a hard time seeing him moved or bought out. If Marks doesn't care and looks to move him, it seem Charlotte fans reminisce for him. I would look to move him, personally.

Whitehead - meh. If we could use the extra million or so in cap space, waive him. Otherwise, I guess keep him? I dunno. I go back and forth on him. Not a PG, not quite a wing, doesn't do anything that well. He need to make defense his calling card to stick around in the NBA.

LeVert - Another player I get torn on. Is he a sell high candidate? Is he a starter or 6th man? Is his future at PG or on the wings?

Harris - a definite keeper, esp. with his tiny cap hold. I also don't think he's getting the money Prok thinks he is. 4/28 should more than do it IMO.

Crabbe - no point in moving him and he showed nice growth the 2nd half of the season. Kinda excited to see what he can do next year.

DMC - a great leader, but also a potentially valuable expiring contract. I'd keep him until the deadline and think his value will be both as a contributor and expiring deal.

RHJ - Still not sold we can afford to keep him as our starting PF unless he really bulks up or we get a SF with size and range. We got outrebounded by about 2rpg and were bottom 1/3 in points in the paint, and having a 6'7" PF hurts. I really hope we can make it work.

Acy/Cunningham - I only see a need to keep one, and I prefer DC.

J.Allen - untouchable.

Mozgov - Don't see the point in a buyout or trying to move him. If anything let see him pay 10 mpg. Guy has soft touch, can rebound and is massive.

Draft
I see us taking Diallo with one pick regardless and at least one big man (Wagner seems like a popular choice). Both should be available with our second or even cash, so BPA is the priority at #29.

Free Agent Targets
I do like Parker, but I also like Gordon. Ideally we do a sign and trade for either. I also like the idea of Favors, especially because I think he can develop a 3 pointer. He has the mechanics and has shown flashes. He helps our rebounding, interior D and lack of a quality back up C. He's also unrestricted.

No one else screams out must target, as I don't see any of the big dogs considering us. Hezonja might be interesting, but I don't want to get into a bidding war with someone like Sacramento for him.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#65 » by TheNetsFan » Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Regarding Whitehead, the savings is less than half his contract, because he'd be replaced by an incomplete roster cap hold of $830k. I'd keep him.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,899

Post#66 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm

There's no reason to let Whitehead go, especially since everything I've read suggests that he improved a lot last season despite spending most of his time in the d league. we still need to see what we have with him on an NBA level.

Also, the Nets were the 9th best rebounding team in the league and Hollis-Jefferson was the best rebounder on the team at 7 per game. I'm not sure why he's being singled out for rebounding when he was the best person on the team in doing so.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#67 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:RHJ - Still not sold we can afford to keep him as our starting PF unless he really bulks up or we get a SF with size and range. We got outrebounded by about 2rpg and were bottom 1/3 in points in the paint, and having a 6'7" PF hurts. I really hope we can make it work.

Draft
I see us taking Diallo with one pick regardless and at least one big man (Wagner seems like a popular choice). Both should be available with our second or even cash, so BPA is the priority at #29.

Free Agent Targets
I do like Parker, but I also like Gordon. Ideally we do a sign and trade for either. I also like the idea of Favors, especially because I think he can develop a 3 pointer. He has the mechanics and has shown flashes. He helps our rebounding, interior D and lack of a quality back up C. He's also unrestricted.

No one else screams out must target, as I don't see any of the big dogs considering us. Hezonja might be interesting, but I don't want to get into a bidding war with someone like Sacramento for him.

I'm wondering how highly they value RHJ for the long term?

If they really love him, I can see them looking at Keita Bates-Diop as the perfect fit at the 3 to get the most out of RHJ.

He is long as hell, he has legit height and strength and laterals, along with the smarts to defend 2 through 4. Can shoot, high bbiq, makes a lot of sense.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,899

Post#68 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Dude is 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan. Sign me up for that.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#69 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 19, 2018 3:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Dude is 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan. Sign me up for that.

One of my flat out favorite realistic prospects in this draft. Probably one of my favorite period once we get past the obvious top 10 type guys.

He could very easily be like a Danny Granger, or a poor man's Glen Rice, Antawn Jamison.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#70 » by DeRoma » Sat May 19, 2018 3:40 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Regarding Whitehead, the savings is less than half his contract, because he'd be replaced by an incomplete roster cap hold of $830k. I'd keep him.

The deal with Whitehead is he gets to the draft early while his stock is low so he can improve with the team. The guy will get another chance playing. That's why he got a 4 year contract for a second round player
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Trader_Joe » Sat May 19, 2018 5:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:There's no reason to let Whitehead go, especially since everything I've read suggests that he improved a lot last season despite spending most of his time in the d league. we still need to see what we have with him on an NBA level.

Also, the Nets were the 9th best rebounding team in the league and Hollis-Jefferson was the best rebounder on the team at 7 per game. I'm not sure why he's being singled out for rebounding when he was the best person on the team in doing so.

Maybe in total rebounds since we played as such a fast pace. Rebound differential we were poor and got outrebounded by 2.4 a game which was the 26th worst in the NBA. We also allowed one of worst points in the paint numbers. PFs are often the top rebounders on a team.
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#72 » by FlipFlopShot » Sat May 19, 2018 5:58 pm

O, sweet. I'll compile offseason movements that I've been thinking.
  • Kawhi Leonard for Russell, Rondae and Carroll
  • 16th pick and Tyson Chandler for Russell and Mozgov
  • Robin Lopez for Dinwiddie and Mozgov
  • 22nd pick for Dinwiddie and 29th
  • Sign Aaron Gordon
IcyVeins
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#73 » by IcyVeins » Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 pm

KBD projected to go mid first round.

Diallo really.... That dude was terrible this season
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#74 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Regarding Whitehead, the savings is less than half his contract, because he'd be replaced by an incomplete roster cap hold of $830k. I'd keep him.

He just needs a consistent J and he's definitely an NBA player. Marcus Smart is hitting daggers from deep in LBJ's face.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#75 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:There's no reason to let Whitehead go, especially since everything I've read suggests that he improved a lot last season despite spending most of his time in the d league. we still need to see what we have with him on an NBA level.

Maybe in total rebounds since we played as such a fast pace. Rebound differential we were poor and got outrebounded by 2.4 a game which was the 26th worst in the NBA. We also allowed one of worst points in the paint numbers. PFs are often the top rebounders on a team.

RHJ just became a PF not so long ago, lets see if he could bulk up, if he could he should be a fine rebounder.

It's the same with Jar.

DMC is a pretty good rebounder for a 3 tho.
Thanks for the honesty.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#76 » by Prokorov » Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Otherwise...

Harris is a lock for at least the MLE, probably a bit more.

Acy is better then cunningham on both ends... especially defense.

Diallo i dont think gets drafted, we could get him as an UDFA i guess.
JiggaMan06
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#77 » by JiggaMan06 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Diallo should've came out last draft, he has athleticism but that's about it. I like Mo Wagner or Hutchinson with the #29 if we keep it. The second round picks came stashes.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#78 » by Prokorov » Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:^lots of assumptions.

I have to mainly agree with the dude on this one.

Said it when the news came out, I thought it was likely a mistake to hold on Dinwiddie when he could have got that Cavs pick, good chance that pick wound up around 22 or 23 as well if things didn't go as they did.

But I'm holding out hope Marks knows a lot more than has been revealed and that he foresaw better deals at the draft when all the owed picks to and from other teams were sorted out, or he knows/figures he can still get about an even deal at worst and is hedging for the promise of something better.

Barring a trade, DVD is more valuable than a late first round pick. Typically you hope the pick could turn into a contributor like DVD. He's still got a lot of room to grow as well. He's versatile, that makes him unique.

a draft pick wouldnt require a new large contract next offseason like dinwiddie would. id assume spencer would get something in the 3-4 years 7-10 million per range
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#79 » by Prokorov » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

JiggaMan06 wrote:Diallo should've came out last draft, he has athleticism but that's about it. I like Mo Wagner or Hutchinson with the #29 if we keep it. The second round picks came stashes.

yeah, to be honest i would be surpirised if he goes higher the late 2nd or undrated. he is living off verticle leap numbers from last years combine and a partial high school season where all he did was dunk. he doesnt really have a position either. not good enough handle to be point/combo gaurd, not enough shooting to be a wing and not good enough defensively to overlook those first 2 things.

he left pulled out of the draft last year because no team thought he was worth a first rounder. he then PROVED all those teams right be having a really poor season and exposing even more flaws this past season, which is why most have him mid second round, and even that is just basically on hype/name recognition.

i dont believe the nets have met with him yet either. and honestly he doesnt seem to be a great fit for what we do.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#80 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I have to mainly agree with the dude on this one.

a draft pick wouldnt require a new large contract next offseason like dinwiddie would. id assume spencer would get something in the 3-4 years 7-10 million per range

I'd just like to see a way they come out of this draft with 1 of the following players:

Zhaire Smith
Josh Okogie
Lonnie Walker
Khyri Thomas
Anfernee Simons

And one of:

Keita Bates-Diop
Miles Bridges

If they traded RHJ I'd like them to target one of:
Wendell Carter
Omari Spellman
Robert William's

And then one of the same groups above, just probably not Simons or Thomas.

Return to Brooklyn Nets