Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Re: Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II 

Post#1401 » by Netaman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Netaman wrote:Or we could just hope the TWolves don't make the playoffs (not impossible) and then offer him a max deal and hope he comes here.

Since he's 29 years old and there's a ton of other good FA out there, there may not be teams lining up around the corner for him. Kind of like Milsap a couple years ago.

He's a guy you may be able to get by simply being the highest bidder since his age makes it a somewhat risky proposition. It's hard to envision the TWolves being in sell mode at the deadline, though it's not hard to see them having a season without much progression and being weary of offering Butler the max.

its much better to trade for butler, because then we can add 3 max guys instead of 2...

Butlers caphold is 19.1 Million next year. if we move crabbe and RHJ for him that actually frees up 7 million in cap we need to get 2 max slots. it also puts bulter in place already to recruit kyrie his best buddy and whoever else (Klay? Kahwi?)

Yeah if you're getting him for peanuts in a basketball trade without significant futures, sure. But why would Thibs do that trade? Any 1 of a dozen playoff teams beats that trade easily. Any realistic trade is including first round picks along with low cost young talent like Allen or Levert.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1402 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interior presence for what? LOL

Faried will probably hover around the 3pt line per Kenny's history.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1403 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interior presence for what? LOL

Faried will probably hover around the 3pt line per Kenny's history.

I doubt that. I think he’ll stick to his Trevor Booker replacement role. I think they’ll be more emphasis on defense and rebounding than anything.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#1404 » by jbeachboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

i hope atkinson doesnt try to force or make ed davis and faried a 3 point shooter, it was painful watching mozgov and jarrett allen shooting 3 pointers.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#1405 » by jbeachboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 pm

rebounding and defense was so bad when you had to rely on mozgov, zeller, okafor, cunningham , rondae, and acy at center
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#1406 » by jbeachboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:why trade for anyone?

if you're confident that the Nets can sign these players why not wait til the offseason?

because if you trade for them you can go over the cap to sign them allowing us 3 max slots instead of 2. similar to how we signed/made moves this year then went over the cap to sign harris.

if we traded for butler we could add 2 max guys then go over the cap to retain butler

what would you trade for butler? who else do you want with butler?
jtsmith
Junior
And1: 87

Post#1407 » by jtsmith » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#1408 » by jbeachboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:42 am

is treveon graham one of those just for training camp ? or does he have potential to play here?
Paradise

Post#1409 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:52 am

jbeachboy wrote:is treveon graham one of those just for training camp ? or does he have potential to play here?

It’s a full guarantee.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#1410 » by Kaiser30 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 am

Prokorov wrote:its much better to trade for butler, because then we can add 3 max guys instead of 2...

Butlers caphold is 19.1 Million next year. if we move crabbe and RHJ for him that actually frees up 7 million in cap we need to get 2 max slots. it also puts bulter in place already to recruit kyrie his best buddy and whoever else (Klay? Kahwi?)

I think you confused somethin here. Butler's player option amounts to 19.8 M für 2019-2020 which he is expected to decline. Then his cap hold jumps to a whopping 29.8 M in anticipation of his next immense contract.

Ref.: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/minnesota-timberwolves-team-salary/ cap holds at the bottom of the page

Considering Crabbe's final contract year and RHJ's cap hold, a trade only saves about 3.8 M in cap space. I'm not even sure the Wolves would accept an offer of Crabbe + an expiring RHJ at the deadline. Upcoming RFA's with no security in terms of their new contract, i.e. a silly offer sheet which you should definitely let him walk for, are not that interesting for other teams. At least to my experience. So we might have to throw in even more to make this trade. Just for 3.8 M in cap flexibility and no guarantee that Butler even wants to be here and will eventually re-sign. He may not even help recruiting because as a free agent, he's free to listen to other team's pitches and build a super team elsewhere as well.

Personally, I think the Nets are better off attracting 2 good players first and then making a splash via trade in order to bring in a third guy. As soon as we have two top players, I'm more than willing to trade picks and young players in order to compete right away. But the Nets are not really asset rich at the moment, so I don't want to waste any assets in this process. As Marks has said multiple times, they have to be very strategic. And trading any assets for a top player with an expiring contract and no guarantee that he's staying seems a bit prematurely to me. I rather remain patient until a free agent commitment.

Edit:

On another note, the Harris signing isn't offical yet, right? I fully expect his contract to be not flat at 8 M per year but with a decreasing structure in order to squeeze out as much cap space as possible.
Paradise

Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II 

Post#1411 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am

I feel bad for DeRozan.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1412 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

I don't feel bad for Demar, dude makes more money than we'll ever know.

If the Raptors make this deal and Kawhi still leaves, it'd be embarrassing to no end for Massai.
Paradise

Post#1413 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 am

So, we’re signing Briante Weber or something?

Read on Twitter
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1414 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Paradise wrote:So, we’re signing Briante Weber or something?

Read on Twitter

is that an NBA player?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#1415 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I don't feel bad for Demar, dude makes more money than we'll ever know.

If the Raptors make this deal and Kawhi still leaves, it'd be embarrassing to no end for Massai.

While I understand the sentiment, Demar suffers from chronic depression. Money doesn't make that **** go away, I can tell you that from first hand experience. He's probably grateful for what he has, but mentally and emotionally he could be in a dark place right now and its hard to see outside of it when you get like that.

For instance, the lead singers for both Linkin Park and Soundgarden killed themselves over the last 12 months and they both had money. Robin Williams killed himself and he had money. It doesn't matter.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#1416 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Paradise wrote:So, we’re signing Briante Weber or something?

Read on Twitter

is that an NBA player?

Two way deal incoming?

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1417 » by IceManBK1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-rumors-cleveland-willing-trade-kevin-love-kyle-korver-right-price/

Kevin love+korver for Caroll, Faried, RHJ, Dinwiddie+1st rounder..love will be 30, but he has atleast 4 more good yrs left in him. korver still a sniper at 37 yrs old. salaries match. love has PO for 19-20. If he opts out..we regain 24 min in cap space.

If we can sign one of butler/kawhi leonard next summer, we'll be in great shape. Especially if Dlo reaches allstar potential these couple of years.

Dlo
Crabbe
Butler/Leonard
Love
Allen
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#1418 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:https://cavsnation.com/cavs-rumors-cleveland-willing-trade-kevin-love-kyle-korver-right-price/

Kevin love+korver for Caroll, Faried, RHJ, Dinwiddie+1st rounder..love will be 30, but he has atleast 4 more good yrs left in him. korver still a sniper at 37 yrs old. salaries match. love has PO for 19-20. If he opts out..we regain 24 min in cap space.

If we can sign one of butler/kawhi leonard next summer, we'll be in great shape. Especially if Dlo reaches allstar potential these couple of years.

Dlo
Crabbe
Butler/Leonard
Love
Allen

I dont think you understand the reality of this team's situation.

We DO NOT have enough cap space for 2 max players unless we trade one or both of DLo/Crabbe.

There is ZERO chance Kevin Love opts in next season when so many teams have cap space.

Thats a big overpay for Kevin Love, there's literally no chance that the Nets do that trade.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1419 » by IceManBK1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:https://cavsnation.com/cavs-rumors-cleveland-willing-trade-kevin-love-kyle-korver-right-price/

Dlo
Crabbe
Butler/Leonard
Love
Allen

We DO NOT have enough cap space for 2 max players unless we trade one or both of DLo/Crabbe.

There is ZERO chance Kevin Love opts in next season when so many teams have cap space.

Thats a big overpay for Kevin Love, there's literally no chance that the Nets do that trade.

if love opts out..we free up 24 mil from his contract, howard's 23 mil..darrell arthur's 7.5 mil..that alone is 54.5 mil of free cap space..and we have couple players with team options for 19-20..we can still have near 60 mil of cap space.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#1420 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Dlo
Crabbe
Butler/Leonard
Love
Allen

if love opts out..we free up 24 mil from his contract, howard's 23 mil..darrell arthur's 7.5 mil..that alone is 54.5 mil of free cap space..and we have couple players with team options for 19-20..we can still have near 60 mil of cap space.

I'll play along with this horrible overpay of a trade idea...

Deron Williams- 5.5
DLO- 21
Harris- 8.5
Crabbe- 18.5

Thats already $54 million in salary. On top of this we have the contracts for LeVert, Allen, Musa, Kurucs and a 2019 1st rounder. Suddenly you're looking at close to $67 mill of salary. Thats only enough space for one max contract with about $9 mill left over. If we renounce DLo then we can get close to another max but not quite.

Return to Brooklyn Nets