ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Re: Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II 

Post#1181 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I wouldn't mind Smart but I agree not if it takes up 2019 cap space.

Smart is restricted...min 2 yr deals.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#1182 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 pm

welp there goes that. We could use a defender like him but meh.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#1183 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 pm

https://thespun.com/news/cavs-trade-kevin-love-kyle-korver

don't think the source is legit..but we have expiring contracts and young players to offer the cavs if they wanna rebuild. But i'd only take love if Collin Sexton is included. Sexton could only be traded after 30 days. Carroll+Lin+RHJ+Levert+1st rounder for Love+Sexton.

Why Cavs would do this...Love has player option for 19-20. So they don't wanna lose him for nth. They get cap space to sign an allstar next summer. get couple young guys like RHJ and Levert to develop.

Why Nets would do this..We would complete our Roster without tanking and get a stretch 4 allstar and future star in Sexton. If love declines his PO for 19-20 we would get back Lin+Carroll's cap space next summer. We would still have a starting PG in Sexton for years to come.

Sexton
Dlo
Crabbe
Love
Allen
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1184 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:https://thespun.com/news/cavs-trade-kevin-love-kyle-korver

don't think the source is legit..but we have expiring contracts and young players to offer the cavs if they wanna rebuild. But i'd only take love if Collin Sexton is included. Sexton could only be traded after 30 days. Carroll+Lin+RHJ+Levert+1st rounder for Love+Sexton.

Why Cavs would do this...Love has player option for 19-20. So they don't wanna lose him for nth. They get cap space to sign an allstar next summer. get couple young guys like RHJ and Levert to develop.

Why Nets would do this..We would complete our Roster without tanking and get a stretch 4 allstar and future star in Sexton. If love declines his PO for 19-20 we would get back Lin+Carroll's cap space next summer. We would still have a starting PG in Sexton for years to come.

Sexton
Dlo
Crabbe
Love
Allen

Hard pass.

You want us to kill our 2019 flexibility on the gamble that Love doesn't opt in? He's not making that kind of money ever again and if he suffers an injury midseason he is definitely not opting out.

The Nets aren't going to field a treadmill team on D'Angelo Russell's behalf.

IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#1185 » by IceManBK1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

Sexton
Dlo
Crabbe
Love
Allen

Hard pass.

You want us to kill our 2019 flexibility on the gamble that Love doesn't opt in? He's not making that kind of money ever again and if he suffers an injury midseason he is definitely not opting out.

The Nets aren't going to field a treadmill team on D'Angelo Russell's behalf.

if he opts out..we still gets to keep Sexton who could be our PG of the future. We'll retain the cap space if he opts out. I think love can still play at a high level for 3-4 more yrs. If he opts in, then we sign 1 max player next summer and look at FAs again in the summer of 2020. We dont gotta spend all our cap space next year. Plus it's not a guaranteed that max players would sign over here. It's not just about being a treadmill team. We still have young guys to develop(Sexton, Dlo, Allen)
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II 

Post#1186 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 am

Sexton
Dlo
Crabbe
Love
Allen

If the Cavs wanted to rebuild, they would not trade away their lotto pick. Even if Love's price tag is diminished because of his ability to opt-out, he's still a positive asset. He's far from a bad contract and there's certainly no way Cleveland is attaching Sexton to him just to get rid of Love.

Your reasons for the why the Nets so the deal is Cleveland's situation right now. They should ship out any and all vets with positive value and trade them for draft picks, cap space, and players to be developed so they can have a collection of top flight draft picks in a few years while retaining cap space to sign (or S&T) good or great players.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
IceManBK1
Analyst

Re: RE: Re: Nets Offseason Moves & Possible Trade Ideas II 

Post#1187 » by IceManBK1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:44 am

NyCeEvO wrote:

Sexton
Dlo
Crabbe
Love
Allen

If the Cavs wanted to rebuild, they would not trade away their lotto pick. Even if Love's price tag is diminished because of his ability to opt-out, he's still a positive asset. He's far from a bad contract and there's certainly no way Cleveland is attaching Sexton to him just to get rid of Love.

Your reasons for the why the Nets so the deal is Cleveland's situation right now. They should ship out any and all vets with positive value and trade them for draft picks, cap space, and players to be developed so they can have a collection of top flight draft picks in a few years while retaining cap space to sign (or S&T) good or great players.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

well maybe they can use Lin+Carroll's cap space to sign an allstar and build around that star.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#1188 » by IceManBK1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 am

How would you guys feel if we had a 18-19 lineup of:
Smart<-2 yr 24 mil? will eat into our cap space next year
Dlo
Crabbe or RHJ at SF, your choice
Nikola Vucevic-Lin+filler for Vucevic<-1 yr rental since he's UFA like Lin
Allen<-maybe switch positions with Vucevic on defense since allen more agile and athletic.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#1189 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 am

awful...we would all commit mass suicide if any of these scenarios pan out
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1190 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 am

IceManBK1 wrote:How would you guys feel if we had a 18-19 lineup of:
Smart<-2 yr 24 mil? will eat into our cap space next year
Dlo
Crabbe or RHJ at SF, your choice
Nikola Vucevic-Lin+filler for Vucevic<-1 yr rental since he's UFA like Lin
Allen<-maybe switch positions with Vucevic on defense since allen more agile and athletic.

id be upset. id hate that we signed vucevic long term and brought DLO back on a big deal. thats stilla 30ish win team, only now with no cap room.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1191 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 am

NyCeEvO wrote:First, IT, now Smart. If reports are true about the Celtics not saying a word to Smart since a few days before free agency began, they could develop a negative reputation among players who will view them as an organization who just uses players and doesn't really care about them.

Granted, all fans want their teams to get rid of bad players and acquire good ones, but I do want my team to at least try to make all players feel welcome and desirous of staying or even returning to Brooklyn if they were to be traded. The reports I've heard from the players we've dealt have been very positive.

Bingo. That's where people think we and Knicks might scare Boston up until July 1st 2019 when Kyrie hits the market. All this stuff lately with dangling Kyrie in trades for Kawhi might not end well during the season if they don't have some historic or somewhat dominant start to the season.

Hell, one of the factors that got PG to re-sign with the Thunder was the fact they treated him extremely well from the moment he was traded to the moment he made appearances on late night talk shows mentioning the Lakers, the Thunder FO never changed their culture around him and I definitely think that helped make his decision a lot easier.

The Lakers were a mess last season with Lavar, LeBron was a mess last season with Lue/IT4 and I definitely think Paul took a chance with money, first class culture + Westbrook over a chance at a maybe first class culture by Magic and Pelkina. At least, Bosh knew what he was getting with Pat Riley and Wade already there.

A guy like Lillard wouldn't be content with being a big fish in a small pond without a first class culture set in stone out in Portland and a sense of familiarity with Scotts. The moment they fire him over a 0-3 start or don't gain any notable assets for CJ, Lillard will be done there.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1192 » by brook » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am

Ror1997 wrote:Real question: what's the difference between Smart and Nwaba?

Let me think... Smart is a year younger than Nwaba and has played 4 years in playoffs in a extended role. Nwaba has played a few games in the league in tanking teams. Smart have playmaking abilities, Nwaba don't.
I think Nwaba is an intriguing player, but Smart is on another level and there aren't similar players in the league.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1193 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 pm

I look at it as a Smart vs Dinwiddie debate.

1) Who is the better player?
2) Who is the better fit?
3) Who has the higher potential?
If, based on the responses above, the preference is Smart, then go to #4, else end of debate.
4) He'll likely get 2019 Dinwiddie money, so is the roughly $9-$10mil loss in cap space (difference between salary & Din's cap hold) worth the better player & sure thing (Dinwiddie is unrestricted & can walk anywhere next year).
5) What value can you get for Dinwiddie this year?

We'd still be around $31mil in cap space with DLo (cap hold), RHJ (cap hold), Crabbe, Harris, rookie deals & Smart all on the books. If DLo, signs for a 1st year salary below his cap hold & Crabbe opts out & resigns for more years at a lower number, then we should easily get into the $38-$40mil range. If Crabbe opts out and walks and/or Irving wants to come & we renounce DLo, then you're still able to get close to 2 max slots. I still think it's more likely that we trade for at least one "max" guy next year, so I'm not overly concerned about unloading Crabbe, dumping cap holds, etc.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#1194 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Trade Idea: Nets trade DeMare Carroll and RHJ to Houston for Ryan Anderson and two future unprotected 1st round picks & 2019 2nd round pick.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1195 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I look at it as a Smart vs Dinwiddie debate.

Smart, by a wide margin.

Dinwiddie, but smart did play a major role in a similar boston systems

Smart, by a wide margin

4) He'll likely get 2019 Dinwiddie money, so is the roughly $9-$10mil loss in cap space (difference between salary & Din's cap hold) worth the better player & sure thing (Dinwiddie is unrestricted & can walk anywhere next year).

Yes it is worth it. we have 1 max slot with or without smart, and need to renounce DLo and dump crabbe in either scenario to approach 2 max deals

I think a second and no salary back is an easy get

We'd still be around $31mil in cap space with DLo (cap hold), RHJ (cap hold), Crabbe, Harris, rookie deals & Smart all on the books. If DLo, signs for a 1st year salary below his cap hold & Crabbe opts out & resigns for more years at a lower number, then we should easily get into the $38-$40mil range. If Crabbe opts out and walks and/or Irving wants to come & we renounce DLo, then you're still able to get close to 2 max slots. I still think it's more likely that we trade for at least one "max" guy next year, so I'm not overly concerned about unloading Crabbe, dumping cap holds, etc.

Smart is a smart short and long term move. he doesnt kill flexibility either
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1196 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm

shakendfries wrote:Trade Idea: Nets trade DeMare Carroll and RHJ to Houston for Ryan Anderson and two future unprotected 1st round picks & 2019 2nd round pick.

id make that deal, as much as i love RHJ that clears 7 million in salary next year and we add more first rounders that will be rookie scale for 3-4 years
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1197 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I look at it as a Smart vs Dinwiddie debate.

Smart, by a wide margin.

Dinwiddie, but smart did play a major role in a similar boston systems

Smart, by a wide margin

Yes it is worth it. we have 1 max slot with or without smart, and need to renounce DLo and dump crabbe in either scenario to approach 2 max deals

I think a second and no salary back is an easy get

Smart is a smart short and long term move. he doesnt kill flexibility either
I agree. I also think Crabbe will be a non-issue next year. If he opts out, that opens up about $18mil in additional space. If he opts in, his expiring contract + a top 10 pick +/-something else is not a bad package to shop around in a trade.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1198 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:Trade Idea: Nets trade DeMare Carroll and RHJ to Houston for Ryan Anderson and two future unprotected 1st round picks & 2019 2nd round pick.

id make that deal, as much as i love RHJ that clears 7 million in salary next year and we add more first rounders that will be rookie scale for 3-4 years

You lost me. Anderson-RHJ adds $14mil to our cap.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#1199 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

You lost me. Anderson-RHJ adds $14mil to our cap.

On second thought, I don't think the Nets would need to give up RHJ to poach picks from Houston to take Anderson. And given that Anderson would add to our cap and remove Carroll, a productive player, from our rotation, it doesn't make sense for the Nets without significant draft incentives from Houston.
ImageImage

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1200 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm

You guys have lost me as well on this one, Anderson's salary for 2019-2020 is $21,264,637. that takes a huge chunk out of our cap room for next summer. Also, unless Harden leaves Houston (which isn't happening) those picks will be low 1st rd picks and we need picks that will yield high level prospects. We can't keep rebuilding with low 1st rd graded talent and reclamation projects. Time to get some studs on this roster.

Return to Brooklyn Nets