***The Official Musa Thread***

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,889

Re: ***The Official Musa Thread*** 

Post#281 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Musa will most likely back up LeVert at SG this season.

Most likely, the Nets will use Prince and Kurucs at PF.

Don't fret my dude, Musa will get his shot. Believe me, we're waiting for his turn because the guy can ball.

ill admit i didnt watched nets regularly, but i watched some games

if im not mistaken, nets used some small forwards at power forward position this past season... demare carroll i think, maybe kurucs too... now dudley is gone, so is carroll, so its only logical some small forwars will have to do it again and you said it will be kurucs and prince... i guess nets play more of a position-less basketball

man i hope dzanan backs up levert, that would be great opportunity for him... he can play, no doubt, potential is there, mentality is there, i just hope he gets stronger and bigger... just live in the gym until off-season begins and then some

The Nets' philosophy is that basketball has primarily three "positions":

-Ballhandlers

-Wings

-Bigs

Musa falls into the ballhandler category along with Caris LeVert and Spencer Dinwiddie. The coach likes to have two ball handlers in the backcourt, two wings on the perimeter to space the floor and a big man for clean up duty and rim rolling.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#282 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 pm

i would argue he falls into both wing and ball handler category, dzanan is a wing, hes listed as small forward, although kenny atkinson sees him as a shooting guard... hes good ball handler for his size and dzanan himself said (before he joined the nba if i remember correctly) that he sees himself as an outside wing
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#283 » by Prokorov » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm

i think on the nets Musa would play the dinwiddie/levert role
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#284 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm

I see a lot of Levert in Musa. I think if Levert becomes a starter again then Musa is the guy right behind him. Our ballhander group would be:

{Irving or Russell} / Dinwiddie / Hands (probably in the G League)
Levert / Musa

Then your interchangeable wings are

Harris / {Hoping we sign a solid vet min backup here. DMC would be perfect, but $$$}
Prince / Rodi

And for Bigs

Allen / {MLE veteran big... RoLo, Jordan, Davis?} / Claxton (probably in G League)
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#285 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:55 am

nice nypost article about dzanan
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#286 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

i think in these past couple of games where he got more minutes, he started to showing his offensive skills and that was exactly what he needed, more minutes to find rhythm and feel comfortable out there on the court... since preseason untill now, hes certainly pushing for a place in the rotation (which atkinson himself said) and making a good case for himself

brooklyn should keep giving him chance, 10+ minutes per game, he will only get better with time... in these games, sometimes his defence wasnt good, sometimes it was solid... however, if he becomes solid defender with his offensive skills, he will be good player and have a long career in the nba

kenny atkinson keeps praising him and i guarantee majority of brooklyn fans have no idea how good this kid can be...
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#287 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 pm

^
Yeah, Dzanan is improving, and he's hungry, I'm proud of him. We need that desire and confidence in our rotation, we too often look listless and timid. He sparks BDE in us all!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Uncbball8293
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#288 » by Uncbball8293 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Good to see a couple people taking notice of him. He still seems to take a lot of heat from some Nets fans and I'm not sure why. It's honestly hard to watch the Nets games in stretches just based off energy, enthusiasm, etc... Simple things that shouldn't be a problem for any basketball player to show while playing the game. He's 20, he's young, he will make mistakes, but he WANTS IT!! He comes into each game and goes his hardest at both ends of the court.

It hasn't been an easy adjustment for him going from the main guy on his team from a kid on to quickly having to learn how to play a role and adapt. He is doing just that. His shot is so much improved from last year. Better balance, better setup, quicker release, and smoother without much of a hitch in it as there use to be. He worked hard on it all summer knowing what his role would be this year.

He has so much potential with his frame and skillset, and just think about what he can do when as he continues to put on muscle and just grow into a man. Talk about a perfect stretch 4 that can put it on the deck. I watched every one of his Gleague games last year and he is an extremely gifted passer. His only detriment is knowing when to throw a lob which he seldom does.

I just hope the veteran leaders on the team have patience with him and will work to guide him and help him develop this year. Simple locker room presence from vets on a team could make or break a kid that young. Best part about Musa though is his confidence and his background, don't think there's much that could break him.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#289 » by Claud » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 pm

With Caris out for 5-6 weeks, we NEED Musa to give us some scoring since guys like Temple/Nwaba/Kurucs, etc are not good scorers.

I think right now he has find somewhat of a groove. Last season and early on this season Musa was playing too nervous and out of control... he needs to relax and play his game.

Would not shock me if Kenny tries Musa as starter next to Kyrie at some point.
Uncbball8293
Ballboy

Post#290 » by Uncbball8293 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:01 pm

This kid continues to take heat on social media from Nets fans. Saying he is awkward, garbage, not an NBA player, etc...

Just go back and look at stats for other similar Euro players over their first games in the NBA or first season for that matter. Nobody is Luka Doncic, and most struggle at first when they get here. Also some of them didn't even come over here until they were older like 25 area. Remember most teams passed on Musa b/c they wanted him to stay in Europe for a few years, but he wanted to come over right away.

If you look back at Bojan, Bogdan, Dirk, Boris, Peja, Manu, Kukoc, etc...you will see a lot of struggles in their first games and season. I'm sure people were calling them garbage at times too. Now I'm not saying Musa is any of those guys, but what I am saying is you can see the talent there in flashes, but what you really see is the hunger. He is 20 and these minutes he is getting right now are great for him going forward. With his work ethic he will continue to improve each year.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#291 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 pm

i wonder if brooklyns plan for dzanan musa is to become caris leverts backup for next season, given garrett temple is 33 yo and musa is developing nicely so far this season... if he continues to get consistent minutes throughout the season, he will improve and become more ready for bigger role next season

yeah, musa gets hate for no reason, kid is 20 yo and everyone can see the talent he has, the bigger/stronger he gets, game will be easier for him... but okay, they can hate, but the time will come when theyre gonna change their opinion

kid is in his 2nd nba season (we all know he spent his 1st in the g league) and now hes getting his first meaningful minutes in the nba and its been only 7 (seven) games... people should realize that and be patient, nothing comes overnight
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,889

Post#292 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Musa should be getting consistent mins in the 2nd unit imo. I thought for the most part he played with poise outside of a gaffe or two on offense. Defensively he is really competing and showing some good IQ
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#293 » by MGrand15 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Love the way Musa has played so far. Obviously he needs to shoot better but his playmaking and nose for scoring have been obvious. He's really competing defensively. The ball movement is a lot better when he's on the floor. His size is legit for a wing. There's a lot to like.

Did anyone see Kenny say that he needs to do a better job of trusting the young guys and the development team? Sounded like he was getting on himself for taking Musa out of the rotation after that Houston game. Would be nice to see him give Moose a longer leash. At least give him a chance to settle in before LeVert comes back so we can really see what we have.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#294 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:48 pm

i saw that, 4:30

;t=14s
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#295 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 am

Musa needs to bulk up. I see his career trajectory similar to Bojan's. Bojan has found his niche as a small ball PF in his late 20s. Musa is more skilled & athletic, but not enough to compete with hyperathletic wings. He'd have an advantage against bigs.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#296 » by gigantes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:32 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:nice nypost article about dzanan

Even better, I'll counter you with one of Pseudonym994's amazing posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GoNets/comments/dxpqrf/analysis_musa_in_his_first_week_of_nba_minutes/

More than just being about Musa, it particularly highlights how awful Prince has been.

And like, there's even some Nwaba love!
Uncbball8293
Ballboy

Post#297 » by Uncbball8293 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:00 pm

I think this is what the hardest part about the criticism and anger toward Musa is right now. I'm obviously a fan of him, and maybe a bit bias as well, but I can also admit when he makes mistakes, doesn't do well, etc... Right now everything with him seems to be magnified by Nets fans simply because he is the youngest on the team. If you break down film of each game the one thing you can say about him is his intensity and will to win exceeds a couple other Nets currently playing. You can also say he is flat out playing better defense and giving more effort as well.

It almost leads you to believe many Nets fans don't have a basketball IQ so to say. The kid has taken endless heat and criticism since he started playing the game. He's always been attacked and the target since he has been the youngest on every pro team he has played on, and the confidence and arrogance he has I think makes it easy for fans or vets to do so. He has also been attacked over in the Croatian league because of his religion. The kid isn't ever going to break mentally and will just continue to get stronger physically. It's really hard to understand from a basketball fans perspective how you can't like a 20 year old with those traits and that mindset, let alone the skillset.

I'll take a hard worker with a winning mentality every day of the week.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#298 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Uncbball8293 wrote:I think this is what the hardest part about the criticism and anger toward Musa is right now. I'm obviously a fan of him, and maybe a bit bias as well, but I can also admit when he makes mistakes, doesn't do well, etc... Right now everything with him seems to be magnified by Nets fans simply because he is the youngest on the team. If you break down film of each game the one thing you can say about him is his intensity and will to win exceeds a couple other Nets currently playing. You can also say he is flat out playing better defense and giving more effort as well.

It almost leads you to believe many Nets fans don't have a basketball IQ so to say. The kid has taken endless heat and criticism since he started playing the game. He's always been attacked and the target since he has been the youngest on every pro team he has played on, and the confidence and arrogance he has I think makes it easy for fans or vets to do so. He has also been attacked over in the Croatian league because of his religion. The kid isn't ever going to break mentally and will just continue to get stronger physically. It's really hard to understand from a basketball fans perspective how you can't like a 20 year old with those traits and that mindset, let alone the skillset.

what heat? no expects him to be anything at this point. He is a 20 year old guy picked late in the draft in his second year.

He hasnt played well. He hasnt shot well, he has turned it over, he has been poor defensively and the nets have been worse with him on the floor.

there is nothing wrong with that. struggles are expected. but the struggles sitll exsist, no one is making them up.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#299 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Dzanan Musa isn’t backing down from major Nets chance

another nypost article on dzanan musa
King-
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#300 » by King- » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Uncbball8293 wrote:I think this is what the hardest part about the criticism and anger toward Musa is right now. I'm obviously a fan of him, and maybe a bit bias as well, but I can also admit when he makes mistakes, doesn't do well, etc... Right now everything with him seems to be magnified by Nets fans simply because he is the youngest on the team. If you break down film of each game the one thing you can say about him is his intensity and will to win exceeds a couple other Nets currently playing. You can also say he is flat out playing better defense and giving more effort as well.

what heat? no expects him to be anything at this point. He is a 20 year old guy picked late in the draft in his second year.

He hasnt played well. He hasnt shot well, he has turned it over, he has been poor defensively and the nets have been worse with him on the floor.

there is nothing wrong with that. struggles are expected. but the struggles sitll exsist, no one is making them up.

Hmm.. he's actually only gotten meaningful minutes in the last 4 games:

- He shot well in 2/4 of those games
- His defense was very bad the first game, but very, very solid the 3rd game. And actually pretty excellent in the 4th game.
- The Nets actually were better with him on the floor in the 4th game; in the last ~3 minutes of the 2nd quarter he had a stretch that helped turn some of the momentum to the Nets where he made a couple of baskets, got his teammates involved, had some assists, and played well defensively. Prince on the other hand was far more terrible that first half, and as a result KA started Musa in the 3rd quarter because he clearly made a positive impact on the game. Although he didn't shoot well that game, he didn't force any bad shots and was distributing the ball and contributing in many other areas outside of scoring.

I'd say you're a bit off with what you're saying and are kinda making things up lol, no? I mean the last 4 games are the only ones that really matter. He played a combined 11 minutes in the other 3 games he's played in this year before those, and in 2 of those games he didn't even take a shot nor have any turnovers.

Most importantly: In the last 4 games with real minutes his defense has clearly gotten better every game. He was not only not a liability on defense in the last 2 games, he actually showed a lot of defensive versatility in the last game and I'm sure Kenny noticed that. Him being able to contribute to the W the last game without scoring or shooting the ball well is a positive sign.

I think that based on the last 4 games he's actually had somewhat more success than he has struggled. Especially given the noticeable improvement on defense every game, which has been no worse than the defense of some other players, like Prince.

Return to Brooklyn Nets