Re: The Rowdy Rodi Kurucs Thread 

Post#101 » by Process » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:53 pm

#FreeRodi
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#102 » by SpeedyG » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Rodi is still 3rd in 3PT FG% in our team at roughly 43%. In 7 games, he attempted 14 threes, and made 6.

Rondae is 1/14 (ouch), DMC is 10/33, and Dudley is at 19/62.

Those three small-ball 4s are averaging a combined 28% from downtown. :lol:
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#103 » by Claud » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Rodi is still 3rd in 3PT FG% in our team at roughly 43%. In 7 games, he attempted 14 threes, and made 6.

We'll see Rodi play more minutes at the end of the season after the trade deadline.

He's clearly the best option next to the fro as starting PF at this point but we gotta trust Markinson know what they are doing.

RHJ looks like it's his final season as a Net while Dudley and DMC are definitely out of the picture after this season as well.

I think some time in the G-League getting used to everything will only help make the transition smoother ultimately.

Still, very frustrating to know we have a player that can contribute more than those currently playing ahead of him riding the bench.
Especially those without future on the team like DMC/Dudley.
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#104 » by SpeedyG » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Claud wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Rodi is still 3rd in 3PT FG% in our team at roughly 43%. In 7 games, he attempted 14 threes, and made 6.

Those three small-ball 4s are averaging a combined 28% from downtown.

We'll see Rodi play more minutes at the end of the season after the trade deadline.

He's clearly the best option next to the fro as starting PF at this point but we gotta trust Markinson know what they are doing.

RHJ looks like it's his final season as a Net while Dudley and DMC are definitely out of the picture after this season as well.

I think some time in the G-League getting used to everything will only help make the transition smoother ultimately.

Still, very frustrating to know we have a player that can contribute more than those currently playing ahead of him riding the bench.
For sure. I really wanted the team to turn the corner and fight for a playoff spot, but with Caris out, I don't mind a few loses and getting better odds in the draft.

Still, as a fan it's frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 am

Floor spacing my ass :lol: i'm starting to hate this ****.

Can we let Kurucs play? tell RHJ to focus on the mid range? whats so hard about any of this?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#106 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:51 am

Devil's advocate-- I'm thinking that Kuruks IS playing, and getting heavy minutes, too. We're just not seeing most of it.

For starters, he's likely going through an ongoing crash course in adjustments to the NBA game with some of the assistant coaches, as well as working with a handler to get him acclimated to life in the USA in general, and maybe working on his English, too. But in teams of scrimmages, drills and practice, I would think he's one of the guys getting the heaviest burn. There's also the fact that just sitting on the bench and watching the pros play (as a younger player) is of underrated importance in almost any sport I can think of. Because if you can't give your full attention to that, you're gonna have problems.

So I would guess Rodi's days are actually pretty intense right now, and that he's working with a lot of people to reinforce all the best habits and consciously avoid all the worst ones... something you can't always say happens with talented young players coming in.

Anyway, if he handles all this stuff well, it seems natural that his usage will go up this season and next. But the point is, we're not seeing most of all that. Even if he were to average more minutes in games, that wouldn't necessarily give us the big picture view on his progress, and AFAIK that's the real point, here.

RHJ seems the vastly bigger priority to me. Like, what's this guy's ceiling, really? Does he fit in to the Nets long-term? Is there a chance for him to become at least an average 3pt shooter? Stuff like this has to be figured out in the next few months, while Kurucs is meanwhile getting his heavy minutes in different areas...
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#107 » by SpeedyG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 am

RHJ is rapidly losing his spot on this team. I suspect it will depend on who the staff thinks we can bring in FA/draft. Also depends how much Rondae asks. He might be one of those guys who take less to stick with a team he likes.

I think it's fairly clear that while he's a valuable role guy for this team, I think he's pretty limited as a player. That season he had last season just might be his cap as a player as he not only shown no improvement from 3 but regression at the FT.

He's simply not big enough to man the 4 despite his effort and hustle and lacks the skills of a 3.

SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#108 » by SpeedyG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:29 am

Then again our coach thinks he's big enough to play Center...so yeah he'll probably get a max offer.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#109 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:35 pm

small sample size... it also omits what carroll and dudley have done in 8-10 seasons and what their production respects around the league.

We know RHJ cant shoot from three, so we can just toss him from this conversation.

Dudley is a 40% career three point shooter and creates a ton of space because teams/defenses gaurd him out there.
Carroll is a career 36% three point shooter and creates space because teams/defenses gaurd him out there

also, these guys always come back to the norm on their shooting averages.

Kurucs has only taken 14 threes. i think he will prove to be a decent to good three point shooter but we need to see it in more then 7 games (really 5 as 2 were garbage time). Also, while kurucs has played well, its not like he was prime dirk out there. its way overstared... and the same guys hyping him will be the first to want him cut the second he doesnt play well (just like with levert last year, rhj the year before)

most importantly, you dont just hand kurucs big minutes or a starting spot after you made rhj, levert, and allen earn theirn minutes... or even over-earn them. stick to your process which has done nothing but churn out great resutks from young players

also, with musa and kurucs these guys are in the country for the first time, they may still be focusing more on transitioning to american life
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Claud wrote:

we know that? based on what? weve seen dudley shoot 40% from three and we have seen carroll put up 14/6 on 37% from three. but we know kurucs to best that because of 7 games in scattered minutes where other teams dont even know who he is let alone game plan for it?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#111 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Can we let Kurucs play? tell RHJ to focus on the mid range? whats so hard about any of this?

what so hard about it is that Russell, levert, diniwddie are all having career years much in part

because of that spacing you hate so much... and they all have significantly better numbers playing next to dudley.

but hey lets just hand a starting spot the rest of our young guys had to earn both in play and time because he looked ok in 7 games
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#112 » by SpeedyG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:

small sample size... it also omits what carroll and dudley have done in 8-10 seasons and what their production respects around the league.

We know RHJ cant shoot from three, so we can just toss him from this conversation.

Dudley is a 40% career three point shooter and creates a ton of space because teams/defenses gaurd him out there.
Carroll is a career 36% three point shooter and creates space because teams/defenses gaurd him out there

Kurucs has only taken 14 threes. i think he will prove to be a decent to good three point shooter but we need to see it in more then 7 games (really 5 as 2 were garbage time). Also, while kurucs has played well, its not like he was prime dirk out there. its way overstared... and the same guys hyping him will be the first to want him cut the second he doesnt play well (just like with levert last year, rhj the year before)

most importantly, you dont just hand kurucs big minutes or a starting spot after you made rhj, levert, and allen earn theirn minutes... or even over-earn them. stick to your process which has done nothing but churn out great resutks from young players

also, with musa and kurucs these guys are in the country for the first time, they may still be focusing more on transitioning to american life
I've stated time and again that I'm not for Rodi leap frogging multiple vets to the lineup, but he does need minutes. And I will question how much spacing Dudley has given us the past few games. From an eye test it seems defenders are starting to sag from him. Also, without Caris, who are we creating the spacing for? Only Spencer goes to the hole with some regularity.

Russell did it for a few games, but past two has fallen back to his norm.

Career % needs context. And while I will say that shooting is usually the last skill to go for a player, Dudley's 62 attempts this season nearly matches his 80 from last year, where he shot 36%. The last time he had any significant attempts, you have to go back 2 years ago.

That's a long time in the NBA.

I will also disagree with "well we brought up Caris and Allen slow, so Rodi has to do the same"

I think that's BS. If a guy is ready, you play him. If a guy cam give you something you need, you play him. Nothing in the NBA entitles you to a starting spot or minutes.

That's what competition should be about.

You can make the rookie carry bags or make him sing songs in meetings.

But if he's earned it, then he's earned it.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#113 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:27 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I've stated time and again that I'm not for Rodi leap frogging multiple vets to the lineup, but he does need minutes. And I will question how much spacing Dudley has given us the past few games. From an eye test it seems defenders are starting to sag from him. Also, without Caris, who are we creating the spacing for? Only Spencer goes to the hole with some regularity.

Career % needs context. And while I will say that shooting is usually the last skill to go for a player, Dudley's 62 attempts this season nearly matches his 80 from last year, where he shot 36%. The last time he had any significant attempts, you have to go back 2 years ago.

I will also disagree with "well we brought up Caris and Allen slow, so Rodi has to do the same"

I think that's BS. If a guy is ready, you play him. If a guy cam give you something you need, you play him. Nothing in the NBA entitles you to a starting spot or minutes.

and Kurucs has 1000000000000000% not earned it. you dont earn minutes because of 7 games. you also dont lose minutes because of 20 games especially if you are creating elite spacing like dudley helps due. and maybe you didnt notice but spencer and russell are both having career years so far... so yea the spacing is important for them.

when are off to a fantastic start and our offense looks great and statisitcally is better with dudley on the floor.

make these young guys earn it like the prior young guys did
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#114 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

what so hard about it is that Russell, levert, diniwddie are all having career years much in part

because of that spacing you hate so much... and they all have significantly better numbers playing next to dudley.

but hey lets just hand a starting spot the rest of our young guys had to earn both in play and time because he looked ok in 7 games

Yeah that blazing 30% he's shooting from downtown is really boosting everyone's games. :lol:

Sorry Prok...I'm not giving Dudley a lick of credit for the hard work that has gone into guys improving.

SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#115 » by SpeedyG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

and Kurucs has 1000000000000000% not earned it. you dont earn minutes because of 7 games. you also dont lose minutes because of 20 games especially if you are creating elite spacing like dudley helps due. and maybe you didnt notice but spencer and russell are both having career years so far... so yea the spacing is important for them.

when are off to a fantastic start and our offense looks great and statisitcally is better with dudley on the floor.

make these young guys earn it like the prior young guys did
Thats beyond ridiculous.

The talk during preseason...unsolicited in fact, was Kenny being surprised of Rodi's play. Of how he's going to have to manage minutes as guys who were hurt comes back.

Without Rondae and Carroll, he gave us a boost vs the Pistons and the Knicks. Even in the blowout loss vs Indy, he was playing well until he got hurt.

Rondae comes back, and as Kurucs recovers is delegated to bench, garbage time, or LI.

Rondae again misses a game due to injury, Kurucs steps in and again produces.

Four games he has had to step in for Rondae and four times he's played well to earn more minutes. Immediately after that Was game, the talk was once again whether he would/should see extra minutes.

DNP-CD since then.

How many games have talked this season of the team needing spacing and shot making especially at the four? How many games did we talk about the Nets not having energy to play defense?

Those are two things that every game Rodi has been given a chance to play, he shows he brings.

But yeah, let's talk about him not having earned minutes.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#116 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 pm

But as I was positing earlier, I think Kurucs is getting plenty of minutes. Just because you're not seeing him on the court so much doesn't mean he's not getting minutes... doesn't mean he's not developing.

The idea that there's a certain tension or logistical quandary regarding the distribution of those minutes, or the earning of such minutes, especially between Rodi and the older players, just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#117 » by MGrand15 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:00 pm

More than anything, our development team and plan has basically been undefeated. We know how to max out talent. I really wouldn't worry at all about how we handle Rodi and Musa. Rodi will 100% play later in the season.

I do think the team was caught off guard by how good he was though. I'm sure the initial plan was G League for most of the year. He's basically forced us to totally abandon that plan.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#118 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 pm

^^Kenny said Rodi makes it really hard on him about putting him in the rotation. I remember Kenny saying the same thing about Caris LeVert in his rookie season.

SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#119 » by SpeedyG » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:29 am

MGrand15 wrote:More than anything, our development team and plan has basically been undefeated. We know how to max out talent. I really wouldn't worry at all about how we handle Rodi and Musa. Rodi will 100% play later in the season.

I do think the team was caught off guard by how good he was though. I'm sure the initial plan was G League for most of the year. He's basically forced us to totally abandon that plan.
Really don't think he would have sniffed minutes had Rondae and DMC not been hurt.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#120 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:37 am

Well Dudley got demoted to the 2nd unit. It's only a matter of time before Rowdy Rodi gets unleashed.

Return to Brooklyn Nets