ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Trade Lin, 2025 Second Round Pick To Hawks For Isaia Cordinier And 2023 Second Round Pick Swap

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Nets Trade Lin, 2025 Second Round Pick To Hawks For Isaia Cordinier And 2023 Second Round Pick Swap 

Post#41 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Paradise wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Shame, what log jam did we really have at PG?

Not exactly calling for glory on trading Lin right now... doesn't feel right just yet.

(unless there's a bad report on his injury being hidden)

Our PG rotation has been DLo/Dinwiddie. Where was Lin, Whitehead, LeVert going to get PG minutes here?

Plus, we only moved Lin to free up space to absorb Faried, Arthur and the 2019 1st.

Think DLO is better off at the 2 than the 1...

Levert isn't going to cut into any minutes, he's a point forward. Even if Lin wasn't the primary ball handler, he can still play off the ball as well.

Guard wise you're looking at DLo and Dinwiddie, who else? Whitehead was never in the mix. Levert is a capable ballhandler but shouldn't be a main focus. If so, that's on Kenny.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Nets Trade Lin, 2025 Second Round Pick To Hawks For Isaia Cordinier And 2023 Second Round Pick Swap 

Post#42 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Tsai says farewell to Lin and endorses The Marksman.

Read on Twitter
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#43 » by kamaze » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Paradise wrote:Tsai says farewell to Lin and endorses The Marksman.

Read on Twitter

I like how Tsai said "he and his team" let Marks build it.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#44 » by DeRoma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

We still need that token asian. Yuta Watanabe seems like a pretty good pick up lol
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,846

Post#45 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Yuta can ball, I want to see him versus NBA competition.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#46 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm

I love the way the pieces of this trade have been described elsewhere:

We traded Lin, a 6th grader & a swap of 8th graders for the rights to a guy we may never see & a fake pick (top-55 protected 2nd rounder in 2020).
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#47 » by brook » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah I read this right now, the second pick Atlanta send us via Portland is protected 31-55.
Sweetdownlow
Senior
And1: 308

Post#48 » by Sweetdownlow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#49 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Trading Lin for essentially a mid 1st round pick is pure insanity. That's outrageous value.

Sean Marks has been amazing. He's really putting on a clinic.

With Lin, I figured he wouldn't be traded this early because no deal really made sense. Marks identified a team under the cap floor, getting ready to trade Schroeder (they don't want him around the team), and looking for a veteran to mentor Trae. Lin is perfect for that. We did it without giving anything up.

This Faried trade probably could have been pulled off by a few other teams with cap space. Marks jumped on it while those other teams were messing around thinking of signing RFAs.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#50 » by bws94 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Shame, what log jam did we really have at PG?

Not exactly calling for glory on trading Lin right now... doesn't feel right just yet.

(unless there's a bad report on his injury being hidden)

Our PG rotation has been DLo/Dinwiddie. Where was Lin, Whitehead, LeVert going to get PG minutes here?

Plus, we only moved Lin to free up space to absorb Faried, Arthur and the 2019 1st.

Levert isn't going to cut into any minutes, he's a point forward. Even if Lin wasn't the primary ball handler, he can still play off the ball as well.

Guard wise you're looking at DLo and Dinwiddie, who else? Whitehead was never in the mix. Levert is a capable ballhandler but shouldn't be a main focus. If so, that's on Kenny.

From a Nets team perspective, I think losing Lin loses a certain type of leadership and ability to guide players to know what to do in the clutch. I think had he stayed that would have helped the guards on the team. The money part makes sense, the expiring part. However, I still think you don't trade a vet for a vet. Some vets can get more out of guys than others so I don't like the move. It's not the Lin fan part of me talking, Lin will be OK and I think now he'll have a better chance to be healthy elsewhere. Also, I think Lin should go to a contender as a 6th man. But the Net fan part of me wanted to see CLV, Dinwiddie mentored by and DLo playing next to Lin. The Nets will be alright, I'm not going anywhere as a poster. May not post as much, but I'm into RHJ, CLV, Allen and I hope that Carroll stays on the team for the much-needed mentorship. I'm not going to be happy with a Carroll trade.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#51 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:44 am

bws94 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Our PG rotation has been DLo/Dinwiddie. Where was Lin, Whitehead, LeVert going to get PG minutes here?

From a Nets team perspective, I think losing Lin loses a certain type of leadership and ability to guide players to know what to do in the clutch. I think had he stayed that would have helped the guards on the team. The money part makes sense, the expiring part. However, I still think you don't trade a vet for a vet. Some vets can get more out of guys than others so I don't like the move. It's not the Lin fan part of me talking, Lin will be OK and I think now he'll have a better chance to be healthy elsewhere. Also, I think Lin should go to a contender as a 6th man. But the Net fan part of me wanted to see CLV, Dinwiddie mentored by and DLo playing next to Lin. The Nets will be alright, I'm not going anywhere as a poster. May not post as much, but I'm into RHJ, CLV, Allen and I hope that Carroll stays on the team for the much-needed mentorship. I'm not going to be happy with a Carroll trade.

I'm glad that you'll stick around, but the end result of moving Lin is pretty much a guaranteed 1st rd pick unless Denver falls off of the rails. The Nets have lost nothing here.

I like Lin a lot, but frankly leadership has to actually happen on the floor most of the time to be respected in the locker room. Carroll's leadership > Lin's because of the circumstances. There's a reason why Russell has humbled himself and is putting in the work.

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#52 » by kamaze » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 am

MGrand15 wrote:Trading Lin for essentially a mid 1st round pick is pure insanity. That's outrageous value.

Sean Marks has been amazing. He's really putting on a clinic.

With Lin, I figured he wouldn't be traded this early because no deal really made sense. Marks identified a team under the cap floor, getting ready to trade Schroeder (they don't want him around the team), and looking for a veteran to mentor Trae. Lin is perfect for that. We did it without giving anything up.

This Faried trade probably could have been pulled off by a few other teams with cap space. Marks jumped on it while those other teams were messing around thinking of signing RFAs.

He's handed lemons and makes lemonade.

I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
bws94
Head Coach

Post#53 » by bws94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
bws94 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Think DLO is better off at the 2 than the 1...

I'm glad that you'll stick around, but the end result of moving Lin is pretty much a guaranteed 1st rd pick unless Denver falls off of the rails. The Nets have lost nothing here.

I like Lin a lot, but frankly leadership has to actually happen on the floor most of the time to be respected in the locker room. Carroll's leadership > Lin's because of the circumstances. There's a reason why Russell has humbled himself and is putting in the work.

I want to hang on to Carroll and yeah, Russell is responding well to his mentorship. Lin's leadership would have been for this season had he remained healthy. I had a bad feeling he wouldn't for the Nets and now I feel Lin will be healthy in Atlanta. I truly hope Carroll does not get moved.
LKIRNets
Starter
And1: 598

Post#54 » by LKIRNets » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am

Sorry I just got in at 5AM in the morning and have some time to kill here. :)

The leadership thing with Lin imo is one of the slimmest things lost on the team. I honestly think we're in better shape there b/c now D'Angelo can speak up and freely in year 2. Jeremy Lin's time in New York has been that 30 or so run wit the Knicks and he banked off it. I've never seen a guy get the bag that quick. He's never stayed healthy outside of 1 or 2 years, played a total 36 or 37 games wit us, to get draft pick for him is an amazing feat IMO. I think Lin is a winning player but as a bench option or #9-12 guy off the bench. I've been thinking this for a while.

Anyway. I'm glad Tsai didn't follow the fandom and sacrifice building the team's future for uncertainty/ a bit of a novelty in hardworker like Lin. It's great to see the part owner hold no grudges and still support him after his trade it gives agents and players certainty that the Nets organization treats people like human beings.

All love. Normalcy and basketball is now the focus. Cap space is plentiful. Jeremy and this team can still talk to each other on chats and phones. The Marksman strikes and the future is getting so much better. :)
bws94
Head Coach

Post#55 » by bws94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm not big on DLo as a leader. I hope he buys into Carroll's mentorship and it'll benefit him. I more see Dinwiddie as a leader based on what he did on the court last year in terms of calming down players when they got heated. Yeah, Dinwiddie whined to refs too much and in the media, so that's one place where he needs improvement. I think RHJ and CLV have more leadership qualities. DLo is a talented player, but I'm not sold on him as a player or leader at all. I think if the team has a captain, make him DMC. Maybe RHJ in the future can be the captain, not sure.

The one thing I don't like about Marks is the vets/young player balance. But, that can work out. I don't know anything about Faried. I'll have to check him out during the season. DMC provides leadership, but not all vets do.

And LKIR, Lin has been healthy outside of the Nets. Lin has to rebuild himself now after a major injury, and I hope he takes it slow but the guy was tough in terms of being on the floor when a team needed him. So, I disagree with characterizing him as injury prone prior to becoming a Net. Also, Lin played plenty of "Linsanity" type games in his career. He's way more than about the NY run. I don't even think of him as that. He didn't string them all together like he did during that period, but he played a bunch of those types of games for the Rockets and Hornets, so he's not just about some short run on the Knicks 6 years ago, however hyped up that was.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#56 » by steady » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Break ups are never easy // and given Lin’s role and relationship with team this feels like more of a break up than most trades.

Still the trade was a slam dunk for BKN, and the situation with Hawks is about as good as you could want for Lin given his injury

In a way it is a return to his beginnings working with a GM and a head coach who believed in him from the start, at GSW, before Linsanity. The coach who was Lin’s Kenny Atkinson before Kenny Atkinson

in a system that he loves

Doing the thing he has a proven track record for doing successfully — leading a motley group of young players to exceed expectations

With some promising young players and opportunity for good playing time (which would always have been a challenge on Nets this year). by the way keep an eye on Musa, he’s going to be good .

It’s been a pleasure participating in board and celebrating the Nets steps forward with you. Paradise, NYCEO stand out but really there are so many of you from MDB who bleeds the black and grey to grouchy Prok who is more reasonable than he seems to VC4P humor to MGrands quiet sarcasm to netamen’s long soliloquies on players’ value ( for example Crabbe. I will always be a Crabbe believer!!) to flip flops understated humor

I will definitely be stopping by from time to time. And I will be cheering for the Nets to succeed
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Damn I never knew you were here because of Lin dude, you talked more about the team in general which made me think you were just a regular fan. Don't be a stranger dude

FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#58 » by FlipFlopShot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Am devastated. Great on Marks. These moves by Atlanta completely baffles me. From their draft pick to no signings.
Grew pretty attached to this board. For now I must move on, but will continue to keep watch here until I figure out what the hell Atlanta is doing?.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#59 » by steady » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Damn I never knew you were here because of Lin dude, you talked more about the team in general which made me think you were just a regular fan. Don't be a stranger dude

Thanks MDB, i appreciate it. I will be back often

That’s nice to know you saw me as a regular fan because I fell in love with the team in general
bws94
Head Coach

Post#60 » by bws94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:37 pm

FlipFlopShot wrote:Am devastated. Great on Marks. These moves by Atlanta completely baffles me. From their draft pick to no signings.
Grew pretty attached to this board. For now I must move on, but will stay here until I figure out what the hell Atlanta is doing?.

Atlanta's been baffling for the last 2 seasons. Was once a competitive team that had Paul Milsap playing for them.

Marks has good vision and is pretty much sticking to it. Nets are headed upward and that's good for me, as a NYer who now can't stand the Knicks, to see. And really good for the die-hard Nets fans.

Return to Brooklyn Nets