ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second 

Post#101 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Pretty foolish to say next year's class is weak this early. We have no idea what this class will end up looking like.

Also wasn't that impressed with the 2018 class anyway.

They always do this and then as the draft approaches, somehow everyone has star potential. :lol:
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second 

Post#102 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 pm

This is going to be a good draft in the top 10. There are going to be 3+ star wings in that range and a couple really interesting combo forwards who lean towards the 4.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#103 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 pm

I've had 0 focus and attention span all day.

Thanks Sean Marks.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#104 » by DeRoma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:This is going to be a good draft in the top 10. There are going to be 3+ star wings in that range and a couple really interesting combo forwards who lean towards the 4.

I feel there are a lot of 2 way starter caliber in this draft. i.e. Jaylen Brown material no stars though.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#105 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 pm

DeRoma wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:This is going to be a good draft in the top 10. There are going to be 3+ star wings in that range and a couple really interesting combo forwards who lean towards the 4.

I feel there are a lot of 2 way starter caliber in this draft. i.e. Jaylen Brown material no stars though.

My way too early target for the Denver pick would be Jontay Porter.

That being said, if we're concerned about maximizing cap space, we may not want to keep both picks.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#106 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

That being said, if we're concerned about maximizing cap space, we may not want to keep both picks.

Which is why I suspect Marks will package the picks and move up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#107 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm

kamaze wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Does he want to be bought out?

I think the question is does the Nets want to buy him out?

He's from NJ and his family lives out in the area. His family are strict Muslims and so is RHJ/Musa so this would be something his agent probably wants to know if there's any intent on dealing him or buying him out for the duration of next season.

I don't see why we would because he replaces the Trevor Booker role while Arthur replaces Acy.

Arthur was a good vet influence on his teammates and Faried is in a contract year. Brooklyn would be foolish to let him slip away if he wants to start let him start it doesn't matter Rhondae will still get his minutes.
Competition is always a good thing it makes players work harder RHJ can learn from him anyone who disagrees is foolish.

Hollis-Jefferson is better than Faried, who is fairly limited and is a terrible defender. Before calling someone foolish, you'd better have your facts straight.

DeRoma
Veteran

Post#108 » by DeRoma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

The more I look at it though. If we keep this core roster. It's more likely that we are just trying to focus on signing one max deal.

KD
Kawhi
Kyrie
Klay
Horford
Butler
Gasol
Cousins
DeAndre
Kemba
Love

Should all be making around 35 million at starting salary. We can then sign another good player once the money dries up. Only real way for us to get 2 max players really is to get rid of Crabbe's contract.
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#109 » by DeRoma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
DeRoma wrote:I feel there are a lot of 2 way starter caliber in this draft. i.e. Jaylen Brown material no stars though.

Which is why I suspect Marks will package the picks and move up.

Even if we only move up in the draft and only pay one guy a bit more, It will still not be possible to sign 2 max unless they take pay cuts. for a couple mill
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#110 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
Read on Twitter

Class act. Hoping he catches on somewhere and has a productive nba career

See this is exactly what I want to here when players get traded from the Nets. EVERYONE comments on how great the organization is.

If a dude is a RFA like Marcus Smart, be real with him and let him know what's up. Most players will respect you when they leave. But when you treat players like they're an asset and not a human being, the players will wise up and start doing the same to you. I'm sure IT and Smart will talk to the young guys in Boston and tell them "They'll love when they want you, but you'll be dead to them if they see a new toy they like better."

All good teams have a mercenary mindset but you don't need to be cold-hearted.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#111 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Netaman wrote:Marks is insane. Basically going into his first real year now that they have their own pick, plus adding another pick very likely to be top 20. Entire team still under 26 (other than the cap dumps they just took on and DMC. This guy is unbelievable.

DLo / Dinwiddie / Doyle
Crabbe / Levert
DMC / Harris / Musa
RHJ / Faried / Arthur / Kurocs
Allen / Davis

2 firsts next year
Cap room for 2 maxes
2 tradable RFA's

I think the two tradable RFAs as well as several tradable veterans (i.e. DMC, Davis, Arthur, Faried) is the underrated aspect.

I know some believe even thinking about getting AD is outlandish, but as I've said, there are two ways to acquire the best players not already on your team: 1) create the best team that with max cap space for that player to sign with; 2) have the best trading package when the team is ready to get trade them away.

Unless AD goes down with back-to-back season ending injuries (which you can't count out because he's somewhat injury prone), he's not going to opt-in for the 2020-2021 season. That means if the Pelicans haven't traded him by July 1, 2020, he'll officially be a free agent. I'm sure they will have discussions with him prior to that and will try to get a read on how he's feeling. If he has any desire to leave, you have to imagine that NOP wouldn't want to be left with nothing and would entertain a trade at some point between the 2019 Draft and the 2020 trade deadline.

By the 2019 trade deadline, we'll already have figured out whether RHJ and DLo are worth investing in and taking away our max cap space for. In other words, by the trade deadline do we think they project to be as good as some of the stars that will be free agents this year. If so, retain one or both and they will the "allstars" of your team....well, at least they'll get paid like it. But if not, you trade one or both of them to free up even more cap space and acquire even more assets and then you tank the rest of the season. At that point, you're guaranteed to have at least 1 very good draft pick, 2+ max slots, and even more draft pick assets to use in a future trade.

Even if the Nets don't use up all of their cap space next year, that's perfectly fine because they can use it to take on more bad salaries for assets to continue building the asset war chest, which by that point would be pretty valuable.

People shouldn't sleep on how quickly things are changing on how we can build one of the best trade scenarios in the league by 2020.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#112 » by Netaman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 pm

^I agree. And I know many are thinking this is a semi tank season, but I truly think Marks/Atkinson are hoping to win as many games as they can, in large part because showing success on the floor helps immeasurably with recruiting.

The celtics are a prime example, had they not gotten Thomas and been a 50 win playoff team, Horford doesn't sign there. Hayward may have signed there the next year anyway, but improving piece by piece is a critical component of improving. It's very hard to get extremely lucky multiple times in the draft lottery tanking and it's similarly difficult to get lucky landing top superstars in FA. Marks has tried from day to emulate the SA/BOS models of building good cultures, developing players, and making strategic additions.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#113 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Next summer will be wild for the mods.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#114 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Darrell Arthur is a legit stretch 4, career 35% from 3 and shot 45% in 16/17 and 38% last season. He can also switch on defense.

Faried will help us a ton with rebounding and can switch on defense as well.

I've always liked Arthur (maybe because of his stretch 4 ability) going back several years. It'll be cool to see him play for us if he doesn't get bought out.

Ehh...I wouldn't be too hopeful about Faried's defense. He's called the Manimal because of his energy/level of activity on the boards, not because he's great at defending lol.

Overall I’d give the trade an A. Our big rotation is going to be so much better than last year.

Any trade that results in us obtaining assets while not impacting the cap for next season is an automatic A.

With steady improvements from all the young guys along with 1 player breaking out, I can see us making a real push for the 8th seed.

Odds that Denver’s Pick is higher than ours?

It's so hard for me to put a total wins number on this team. There are so many variables heading into this season and it largely falls on how much will DLo, RHJ, and Levert improve. If two of them improve drastically, I can definitely see us challenging for the 8-10 spot; if they don't, we'll be a bottom barrel team.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#115 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Netaman wrote:Marks is insane. Basically going into his first real year now that they have their own pick, plus adding another pick very likely to be top 20. Entire team still under 26 (other than the cap dumps they just took on and DMC. This guy is unbelievable.

DLo / Dinwiddie / Doyle
Crabbe / Levert
DMC / Harris / Musa
RHJ / Faried / Arthur / Kurocs
Allen / Davis

2 firsts next year
Cap room for 2 maxes
2 tradable RFA's

watching a master work in real time is beautiful. this guy should be served an extension right now.

I think he should be made EVP and make Langdon the GM. Those guys really know what they're doing.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#116 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Nuggets also signed isiah thomas... odds of that pick converying just got better

Oh how the mighty have fallen though, huh?

From, "they're going to have to back the Brinks truck up for me", to signed for vet min...

I understand how every NBA player, especially those who have reached the proverbial "allstar" level, have extreme confidence. But it still boggles my mind why he ever said that. Was he so sure that Boston loved him that he believed himself to be untouchable? Even though we knew his agent would ask for the most, why would he remove all doubt? He immediately put himself in the "This guy is going to be trouble if he doesn't get paid". IMO, he expedited his exit out of Boston the moment he said that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#117 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 pm

^^his health also played a role. Once his hip issues arose his value tanked.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#118 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does he want to be bought out?

Have you looked at his game logs for last season?

The guy only averaged 15mpg when he played. He played ~63 minutes total from December 15 to the end of the season. He was DNPd/inactive from February onward.

Maybe he wants a lot more but I think he just doesn't want a repeat of last season.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#119 » by jbeachboy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 pm

i wonder if we buy out kenneth faried, how much playing time does he want?
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#120 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:so let's predict western standings... why not?!

1. GS
2. Houston
3. OKC
4. LA Lakers

this is where it gets murky and I have trouble ranking these 6 in order:

New Orleans
Portland
Denver
Minny
San Antonio
Utah

I don't think Dallas, Sacramento, Phoenix (this year at least, maybe next), LA Clips, Memphis

I think a Kawhi trade to the Lakers would be good for separating SA from the rest of the pack... although they were not terrible without him last year.

Watching the West will be fun.

Not to rub salt in the wound but this is why I couldn't really knock the Celtics for having a pick watch thread on their board.

Granted, I don't think we'll be anywhere near as obsessed as they were, although our pick had the chance to be #1 overall so I could understand their optimism. We don't have a chance to get Denver's pick if it somehow miraculously became a top 10 pick.

Return to Brooklyn Nets