ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second 

Post#121 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:44 pm

jbeachboy wrote:i wonder if we buy out kenneth faried, how much playing time does he want?

He's not getting bought out. He wrote that he's coming home.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Re: Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second 

Post#122 » by Claud » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Paradise wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:i wonder if we buy out kenneth faried, how much playing time does he want?

New Booker?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Re: Nets Trade Whitehead To Denver For Faried, Arthur, 2019 First (Top 12 Protected), Future Second 

Post#123 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 am

Faried getting ready to show off that 3 point jumper
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#124 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:06 am

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:My way too early target for the Denver pick would be Jontay Porter.

That being said, if we're concerned about maximizing cap space, we may not want to keep both picks.

Which is why I suspect Marks will package the picks and move up.

Even if we only move up in the draft and only pay one guy a bit more, It will still not be possible to sign 2 max unless they take pay cuts. for a couple mill

or if we renounce Russell, correct?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#125 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 am

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#126 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Netaman wrote:Marks is insane. Basically going into his first real year now that they have their own pick, plus adding another pick very likely to be top 20. Entire team still under 26 (other than the cap dumps they just took on and DMC. This guy is unbelievable.

DLo / Dinwiddie / Doyle
Crabbe / Levert
DMC / Harris / Musa
RHJ / Faried / Arthur / Kurocs
Allen / Davis

2 firsts next year
Cap room for 2 maxes
2 tradable RFA's

I think the two tradable RFAs as well as several tradable veterans (i.e. DMC, Davis, Arthur, Faried) is the underrated aspect.

I know some believe even thinking about getting AD is outlandish, but as I've said, there are two ways to acquire the best players not already on your team: 1) create the best team that with max cap space for that player to sign with; 2) have the best trading package when the team is ready to get trade them away.

Unless AD goes down with back-to-back season ending injuries (which you can't count out because he's somewhat injury prone), he's not going to opt-in for the 2020-2021 season. That means if the Pelicans haven't traded him by July 1, 2020, he'll officially be a free agent. I'm sure they will have discussions with him prior to that and will try to get a read on how he's feeling. If he has any desire to leave, you have to imagine that NOP wouldn't want to be left with nothing and would entertain a trade at some point between the 2019 Draft and the 2020 trade deadline.

By the 2019 trade deadline, we'll already have figured out whether RHJ and DLo are worth investing in and taking away our max cap space for. In other words, by the trade deadline do we think they project to be as good as some of the stars that will be free agents this year. If so, retain one or both and they will the "allstars" of your team....well, at least they'll get paid like it. But if not, you trade one or both of them to free up even more cap space and acquire even more assets and then you tank the rest of the season. At that point, you're guaranteed to have at least 1 very good draft pick, 2+ max slots, and even more draft pick assets to use in a future trade.

Even if the Nets don't use up all of their cap space next year, that's perfectly fine because they can use it to take on more bad salaries for assets to continue building the asset war chest, which by that point would be pretty valuable.

People shouldn't sleep on how quickly things are changing on how we can build one of the best trade scenarios in the league by 2020.

if Russell turns the corner this season say averaging 21 4 6 on 45/36/79 efficiency, would you trade him? because his value would be sky high at that point and he's the RFA whose cap hold would have to go if want to sign two maxes.

on the other hand, if he remains stagnant then the decision becomes quite easy.

I also think Anthony Davis is not possible due to the timing. What will our cap look like when it comes time for the Pelicans to make a decision?

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#127 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:19 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Next summer will be wild for the mods.

You cheeky bastard...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#128 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 am

Paradise wrote:

So he's in. Good. he'll certainly get PT here no reason for him not to but knowing Kenny I can see him being used as a small ball 5 at times which I am not okay with because he is pretty poor defensively. i love his hustle though.

Its good also to have a Jersey dude on the team, and he's also a Muslim also which means that he, RHJ, and Musa all share a common bond. i LOVE the diversity of this franchise.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#129 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
Netaman wrote:Marks is insane. Basically going into his first real year now that they have their own pick, plus adding another pick very likely to be top 20. Entire team still under 26 (other than the cap dumps they just took on and DMC. This guy is unbelievable.

DLo / Dinwiddie / Doyle
Crabbe / Levert
DMC / Harris / Musa
RHJ / Faried / Arthur / Kurocs
Allen / Davis

2 firsts next year
Cap room for 2 maxes
2 tradable RFA's

I think the two tradable RFAs as well as several tradable veterans (i.e. DMC, Davis, Arthur, Faried) is the underrated aspect.

I know some believe even thinking about getting AD is outlandish, but as I've said, there are two ways to acquire the best players not already on your team: 1) create the best team that with max cap space for that player to sign with; 2) have the best trading package when the team is ready to get trade them away.

Unless AD goes down with back-to-back season ending injuries (which you can't count out because he's somewhat injury prone), he's not going to opt-in for the 2020-2021 season. That means if the Pelicans haven't traded him by July 1, 2020, he'll officially be a free agent. I'm sure they will have discussions with him prior to that and will try to get a read on how he's feeling. If he has any desire to leave, you have to imagine that NOP wouldn't want to be left with nothing and would entertain a trade at some point between the 2019 Draft and the 2020 trade deadline.

By the 2019 trade deadline, we'll already have figured out whether RHJ and DLo are worth investing in and taking away our max cap space for. In other words, by the trade deadline do we think they project to be as good as some of the stars that will be free agents this year. If so, retain one or both and they will the "allstars" of your team....well, at least they'll get paid like it. But if not, you trade one or both of them to free up even more cap space and acquire even more assets and then you tank the rest of the season. At that point, you're guaranteed to have at least 1 very good draft pick, 2+ max slots, and even more draft pick assets to use in a future trade.

Even if the Nets don't use up all of their cap space next year, that's perfectly fine because they can use it to take on more bad salaries for assets to continue building the asset war chest, which by that point would be pretty valuable.

People shouldn't sleep on how quickly things are changing on how we can build one of the best trade scenarios in the league by 2020.

if Russell turns the corner this season say averaging 21 4 6 on 45/36/79 efficiency, would you trade him? because his value would be sky high at that point and he's the RFA whose cap hold would have to go if want to sign two maxes.

on the other hand, if he remains stagnant then the decision becomes quite easy.

I also think Anthony Davis is not possible due to the timing. What will our cap look like when it comes time for the Pelicans to make a decision?

I'd always trade him for Kyrie, so...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#130 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 am

Basically, it's 2 max guys or bust. There isn't going to be 1 max cat who wants to join this group. 2 guys want to team up here, or we get no one and keep building through the draft and using cap as a pick collecting asset.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#131 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:so let's predict western standings... why not?!

1. GS
2. Houston
3. OKC
4. LA Lakers

this is where it gets murky and I have trouble ranking these 6 in order:

New Orleans
Portland
Denver
Minny
San Antonio
Utah

I don't think Dallas, Sacramento, Phoenix (this year at least, maybe next), LA Clips, Memphis

I think a Kawhi trade to the Lakers would be good for separating SA from the rest of the pack... although they were not terrible without him last year.

Watching the West will be fun.

Not to rub salt in the wound but this is why I couldn't really knock the Celtics for having a pick watch thread on their board.

Granted, I don't think we'll be anywhere near as obsessed as they were, although our pick had the chance to be #1 overall so I could understand their optimism. We don't have a chance to get Denver's pick if it somehow miraculously became a top 10 pick.

I don't think we need to have a pick watch thread here.

We have had Washington and Toronto's pick and we did not need to dedicate threads to them. We're better than that.

I'm not going to be getting league pass to watch Nuggets games just to root for them to suck balls, thats what Celtics fans do because they're ass holes who like to come over here and troll. I want the Nuggets to make the playoffs as an 8th seed or just barely miss the post season which should land their pick outside of the top 12.

Paradise

Post#132 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:

So he's in. Good. he'll certainly get PT here no reason for him not to but knowing Kenny I can see him being used as a small ball 5 at times which I am not okay with because he is pretty poor defensively. i love his hustle though.

Its good also to have a Jersey dude on the team, and he's also a Muslim also which means that he, RHJ, and Musa all share a common bond. i LOVE the diversity of this franchise.

DLo/Carroll/RHJ/Faried. The dreadlock starting five.

I hope we re-sign Cunningham too and solidify this BrooklynGrit front court identity. These guys look like fun when healthy.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#133 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Basically, it's 2 max guys or bust. There isn't going to be 1 max cat who wants to join this group. 2 guys want to team up here, or we get no one and keep building through the draft and using cap as a pick collecting asset.

yeah i think its either that a miracle happens and two max FAs say "hey we like what you guys are building here so we'd like to team up here" or that cap space gets used to absorb salary for assets.

i'm fine either way. the first option isn't likely. the 2nd option makes the war chest even bigger.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#134 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:36 am

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:He's not getting bought out. He wrote that he's coming home.

DLo/Carroll/RHJ/Faried. The dreadlock starting five.

I hope we re-sign Cunningham too and solidify this BrooklynGrit front court identity. These guys look like fun when healthy.

Jarrett Allen is the starting center.

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#135 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 am

Yea it's kind of weird to do a pick watch when our pick is almost definitely going to be better anyway.

The more I've absorbed this trade, here are 2 thoughts beyond the first round pick.

1. It's exciting to go into a season with a starter level player on the bench in the frontcourt. - If RHJ, Allen or DMC get hurt, it's likely Faried gets inserted as a starter and puts up the same numbers he always has (15 pts/11 rebs/1 blk/1stl/55% TS per 36). That's a hell of a contingency plan in the frontcourt. "The Booker role" is a safe bet, but don't discount that Faried has been a 20-30% more productive player over his career.

2. Arthur's injury history, buyout? - originally I was excited thinking he'd be an upgrade on Acy, but at this point it seems like the roster spot would be better spent on Acy or Cunningham. Continuity, leadership, hustle, etc. Each of those guys can provide similar results without the injury issues.

Also unless they're really high on Doyle, I think they need to find themselves another 3rd string PG. It can be another developmental guy like Ferrell/Dinwiddie a couple years ago, but it would be a mistake to think that they are immune to the bad luck with injuries they've had each of the last 2 years.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#136 » by DeRoma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Which is why I suspect Marks will package the picks and move up.

Even if we only move up in the draft and only pay one guy a bit more, It will still not be possible to sign 2 max unless they take pay cuts. for a couple mill

or if we renounce Russell, correct?

Nah. Unfortunately we have to renounce all of our expiring contract to even get to 70 million. There are a ton of intangibles that i'm not completely sure. For example there are players eligible for the super max depending how many times they made the all nba team. But I'm pretty sure there most of the big name FA has a starting salary of 35 million. The only ones that aren't are the RFA which is Kristaps and Towns. I believe they start around 25 million.

You also need to consider the rookie scale contracts which also depend on the CBA rule of next year but that hasn't change in years. Like in 2017 Markelle Fultz starting salary started around 5.8, Lonzo is 5.2, Tatum is 4.7, Fox is 3.8 and so on. So if we are focusing around 8-12 the starting salary is about: 8th is 2.9, 9th is 2.7, 10th is 2.5, 11th is 2.4, 12th 2.3.

So right now. According to Zach Lowe his projection on salary is 110 million. We have about 45 million n guaranteed contracts. So we have 65 million in capspace. That's is if we renounced everyone including RHJ, Dlo, and Dinwiddie. But you also have to add the rookie scale contract. So if we somehow get the 8th pick and the 12th pick next year. that's about 5.1 million. So technically we are around 60 million.

The only way we sign two max is if we dump Joe Harris and and trade both picks to move up (or just keep one if we don't acquire denver's pick next year) OR dump Crabbe. However, it's just so unlikely because we have resign both RHJ and Dlo. This is why it might not be a bad idea to try to extend Dlo for a cheaper money. So we have more spending money and keeping our players.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#137 » by kamaze » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:38 am

Papi_swav wrote:Great trade but it would of been alot better if this was done at the draft, this draft class is very deep and next years isn't so much. Nuggest had the 14th, next year they should be playoff bound.

If they're in the lottery we don't get the pick bruh.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#138 » by bud29 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:48 am

kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Great trade but it would of been alot better if this was done at the draft, this draft class is very deep and next years isn't so much. Nuggest had the 14th, next year they should be playoff bound.

Pick is only protected 1-12, so if they land in the last two lottery spots it will convey to us.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#139 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:54 am

bud29 wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Pick is only protected 1-12, so if they land in the last two lottery spots it will convey to us.

What are the protections on the pick if it isn't conveyed in 2019?
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#140 » by bud29 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:
bud29 wrote:
kamaze wrote:

What are the protections on the pick if it isn't conveyed in 2019?

I believe it’s the same 1-12 protection for 4 years. If it doesn’t convey by then, it becomes 2nd rounders.

Return to Brooklyn Nets